Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #801
JP
Smelly

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'll never ever complain about Hollywood giving black actors work. Not rappers or singers but real black actors.

I don't care what the purists or the racists think. And I'm not calling anybody here racist but that "I don't care if they cast black actors in side roles" talk is bunk coming from some people. There were many people whining about a very, very side character being played by a black actor (who was awesome in the role) in Thor. I saw pages of whining about it. When a freaking great Oscar nominated actor was cast as Perry White, there was whining (lucky it was much less than the uproar for Thor) about how his last name meant the character shouldn't be black which is B.S.

A lot of people seem to care even if it is a side character. So yeah most of you do not care but I've heard an awful lot of complaining about side characters being made black or any other race besides white to be honest.

And to reiterate again I'm not calling anyone racist here and I would never blindly call someone racist. Are there racist Hypesters? Of course there are and I've called one out before.

I think the vast majority of people on here are just purists though, which I am to a reasonable degree.

Personally, I'm enjoying the color blind casting. I love that Fishbourne is Perry White, I love that the late MCD was cast as Kingpin, eventhough he was wrong for the role because he couldn't convicingly play evil, I'm glad that Alica Masters was played by Kerry Washington and it's neat that Jamie Fox gets to play Electro. I also would love to see more latinos, Asians and others get in on the action. I love diversity. America isn't all white and the world isn't all white. There should be a place for everyone at the table.

Don't worry, the vast majority of heroes and villians will still be played by white people.

And this is still a rumor and nothing more. Just like the Alison Williams thing so there is no need for me to get overly excited or the purists and others to get overly upset.
Ding ding ding.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #802
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
We'll probably hear 5-10 rumored names for each character before we get the real names. And chances are good that the real names won't be any of the names that were originally rumored.

But the fact that rumors are starting to swirl could indicate that some casting is starting to be considered. That's probably the real news.

Neither Michael B. Jordan nor Allison Williams do much for me - and that's not because I'm a racist or misogynist - they just seem uninspired. I won't be boycotting the movie if they're the final choices, but it would be a sign that the casting wouldn't be nearly as good as we've seen for other superhero films recently.

Think about Robert Downey Jr., Christian Bale, Henry Cavill, Cris Hemsworth, Chris Evans and their respective characters. Those actors were born to play their characters.

Now think about Michael B. Jordan and Allison Williams. Eh, whatever.
That's pretty much how i feel. Neither of those two casting rumors are going to help a film reboot with already alot of scepticism about it already. I posted an article about it on Facebook and many of my friends were wondering why they were bothering with a reboot anyway..... So the series really isn't already in demand... So they really need to sell this film very hard. These casting rumors don't do that.

If anything, they just put the movie in the media news and are stirring a buzz and making people aware of it

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #803
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Because Henry Cavill and Chris Hemsworth were the FURTHEST away from that.
No but at least they look ripped from the books ..... One pic not using their powers and there's no doubt who they are....

Can't say the same with this. Which is pretty unfortunate imo

[=]
Old 05-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #804
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
There's a lot of hypocrisy, if we were talking about a black or asian character from the comics and the studio decided to cast a white person, then many would cry a river about Hollywood whitewashing, etc. Studios should be making movies of characters like Black Panther, Luke Cage, Green Lantern John Stewart, among others, it would be much better and justified.
It is a bad double standard. Every minority comic book character, black, Latin, Asian, native American, Gay, Lesbian, etc.... All make their minority a major part of their character.... White characters don't have that.... Which sorta also makes that a "straight white first world problems" characteristic....

For those getting upset over others not wanting a black human torch... Consider this... Would you really be ok with an Asian superman? A black Bruce Wayne? A filipino wonder woman? A Latino Bruce Banner?

Sometimes being white does matter to a characterization. Sometimes it does not. But for iconic characters like Marvel's first family.... That started the silverage of comics.... Yeah...... Kinda does

Johnny Storm being adopted adds a completely different dynamic to the character which does indeed make him a completely different character... People are allowed to be fearful of that.

[=]
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #805
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i dont think you know what uninspired mean lol

noticed all those actors you named are white.....
Adjective

1.Lacking in imagination or originality: "repetitive and uninspired poetry".
2.(of a person) Not filled with excitement.

The idea of casting black actors as white comic characters has become trite and cliché'.

Halle Berry as Catwoman, Kerry Washington as Alicia, Michael Clark Duncan (this one was a great choice), Jamie Fox, Samuel L. Jackson etc.

It's as if the the filmmakers are saying: "I have an idea. Let's cast a black actor to play a traditionally white role. Not only will we appear progressive and edgy, but none of the fanboyzzz can ***** because they'll look racist." But it's not edgy or progressive once everybody is doing it.

Michael B. Jordan is a great actor. I loved him in The Wire, but that doesn't mean he's an inspired choice. Robert De Niro is a great actor, but he wouldn't make a good Johnny. Choosing a wrong actor for a role isn't inspired just because it's different.

I know what uninspired means, and I stand by my statement for both of the rumored casting possibilities I've mentioned.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #806
Project862006
Banned User

you know nothing about johnny then

MBJ is charismatic and has shown he can be funny,cocky,arrogant,ladies man,etc. as well as being good looking guy who has dramatic chops on top of it

he is perfect when it comes to chops and personality for johnny storm

i like him for johnny not because it is cliche or because he is black i think he would do the role justice

Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #807
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

I surprised he'd even want to play the role, instead of playing an actual black character of the comics

I don't mind when they change the race of certain characters, as long as it isn't change just for the sake of change, if someone of a different race is truly the best for a role, that's fine

its great to have some diversity in movies, but, it does seem like a waste of potential, as there are many great ethnic characters in comics that these actors could be playing

Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #808
Project862006
Banned User

yeah but none of them are green lit and are huge summer blockbusters set in space

Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #809
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Th Wink Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

Quote:
There's the classic ad-hominem.

I have my opinion and you're welcome to yours and I won't question either your knowledge of the actor or character. Opinions vary.

I think he's a good but not great choice and that's why I called him uninspired. There are 10,000 actors who could play this role including MBJ and the pages upon pages of names that have been suggested in this forum.

I haven't seen an inspired suggestion yet - and I probably won't. But until the casting is final, I'm hoping they will come up with a choice that will make me say: "WOW! Now THAT's a GREAT choice."

I'm going to call any choices that fall short of that as such and you're welcome to question my knowledge of a character that I've followed for over 40 years.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #810
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
MBJ is charismatic and has shown he can be funny,cocky,arrogant,ladies man,etc. as well as being good looking guy who has dramatic chops on top of it

i like him for johnny not because it is cliche or because he is black i think he would do the role justice
This is very simple, is better to cast a good actor that looks the part than casting a good actor that doesn't, there would be zero controversy and everybody happy.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #811
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

Saying this to a poster like Willie there, made me ...

Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #812
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:

And there's beyond plenty of actors who actually look the part that could play it. Johnny isn't exactly a hard character for an actor to portray....

[=]
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #813
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
yeah but none of them are green lit and are huge summer blockbusters set in space
Thus why i find shoe-horning black actors in white roles very offensive. They're "settling".

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 05-05-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #814
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

I for one would like Mr. Blond Ambition to actually be blond.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #815
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

^Maybe they'll give him the same dye job Snipes got in Demolition Man...

Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #816
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
The project has not been green lit (per the article in the Wrap that broke the Michael B. Jordan casting news) it is expected to be released on March 6, 2015 (not the summer), it is very unlikely to be either "huge" or a "blockbuster" and there has been no confirmation as of yet that the film will be set in space.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #817
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I doubt the film will be set in space. More likely they go the Ultimate route and have them get their powers through the Negative Zone.

Still, glad to hear this isn't green lit. Let's hope it stays that way. I just hope Trank up and leaves in the middle of the Summer and we get another Daredevil situation. I'm sure if the FF rights went back to Marvel they'd make a movie with 3-4 years of obtaining the rights, unlike the Daredevil situation.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #818
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm pretty sure FOX will release this on time. Whether they rush this or not. They'll make sure it will be released in March 2015.

The Daredevil situation isn't gonna happen anymore.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #819
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
And there's beyond plenty of actors who actually look the part that could play it. Johnny isn't exactly a hard character for an actor to portray....
is this another one of those

Old 05-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #820
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Gawd, that meme again...

Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #821
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I'm pretty sure FOX will release this on time. Whether they rush this or not. They'll make sure it will be released in March 2015.
Yes, because who cares if it's quality, or anything. Just so we pump out a film on time.

That describes the FOX I know perfectly. And that's why I hope this doesn't happen. The FF deserve better.

And so to the X-Men for that matter, but that ship has sailed unfortunately.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #822
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Yes, because who cares if it's quality, or anything. Just so we pump out a film on time.

That describes the FOX I know perfectly. And that's why I hope this doesn't happen. The FF deserve better.

And so to the X-Men for that matter, but that ship has sailed unfortunately.
Unfortunately I think you nailed it. I don't expect quality, but I'm still hoping for it.

At the moment it's still a possibility, but I have a bad feeling that by this time next year we'll have heard enough to know that the studio just doesn't care enough to do it right.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #823
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
is this another one of those
well... you've got to get a certain kinda of actor... Obviously Reynolds would be closer to a Johnny Storm than a Hal Jordan, but the point still stands. Johnny Storm is a comedic hot shot.. that's easier to play than a serious role

[=]
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #824
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The project has not been green lit (per the article in the Wrap that broke the Michael B. Jordan casting news) it is expected to be released on March 6, 2015 (not the summer), it is very unlikely to be either "huge" or a "blockbuster" and there has been no confirmation as of yet that the film will be set in space.
The film isn't even in production yet, and you're saying that?

Over five movies have opened to over $70M in March... Hunger Games and Alice in Wonderland both earned over $100M apiece. March is no longer seen as a "dead" month like January and September. Just because a comic book movie isn't released in the summer or fall doesn't mean it won't do well.

I don't understand you folks.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #825
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
The film isn't even in production yet, and you're saying that?

Over five movies have opened to over $70M in March... Hunger Games and Alice in Wonderland both earned over $100M apiece. March is no longer seen as a "dead" month like January and September. Just because a comic book movie isn't released in the summer or fall doesn't mean it won't do well.

I don't understand you folks.
Then look at the numbers. This is a reboot, and recent reboots of X-Men and Spider-man experienced box office declines from the last film in the prior series of 23% and 16%, respectively. The FF duology had a 12% drop-off from the first film to ROTSS. Regardless of the quality of Trank's film, the new FF film is going to have a tough time matching the modest box office grosses of the previous two films.

Add to that the March release date just 56 days before Avengers 2, the complete lack of branded store merchandise to increase film awareness, the expected budget increase to prevent Tranks films from looking as cheap as the prior two, Trank's inexperience with big budget films, and the fact that the 2nd most popular thread in the FF forums is filled with posts hoping this film never gets made.......it should be quite easy to understand why this film looks like a flop.

Closed Thread