The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #876
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
To be fair, wasn't the polished finger nail thing about her kissing Peter upside-down? I mean, as bad as MJ looked in the films, at least she was justified in being mad at Peter in that.
I think she was being a hypocrite. She kissed Spider-Man while she was dating Harry. That was a real intimate passionate kiss, not a showy meaningless publicity stunt like the Gwen kiss. She tried to get with Peter when she was engaged to John. She kisses Harry when she's with Peter (she initiates the kiss, too).

I hate how she chastises Peter for things she's done several times over, and several times worse.

- The Joker
Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #877
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Truthfully,when I watch the films now each movie of the trilogy had it's share of flaws. Sam Raimi really stepped up the cheese factor with the series. That can be a bad thing,especially with part 3 where a more serious tone would've helped. But the thing I liked about the trilogy was how much fun it seemed to be having. Each movie had an epic feel to it. When I watched The Amazing Spider-man I didn't get that feeling. I liked it,but it seemed to be very long on dark and complex and very short on fun. Raimi's version seemed to be alot more "Spider-man" then the new film.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #878
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Spider-Man 3 didn't seem fun at all, lol. There's something fun about a powerless Peter Parker strolling down the street and tripping over his feet. Then there's something worthy of a thousand facepalms in seeing a symbiote-"induced" Peter humping the air.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #879
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I thought it was ridiculous in a funny way when I first saw, but as the years went on, I realized that it was an attempt at comic relief in a movie whose tone didn't allow for it. SM2 was sort of serious too at times, but there was still some comedy mixed in that really worked well with it.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #880
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Emo Peter was like Raimi projecting all his prejudices towards the character and storyline onto film. He considered a joke and it showed.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #881
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I really enjoyed and loved Spider-man 3 when it first came out. The film seemed to be too short for me,only because it entertained me so much. Now,over the last few years the flaws stick out and I realize it wasn't as great a film that I thought it was,but I still enjoy it. Although,I do hate how Venom and the symbiote story really got messed up.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #882
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Emo Peter was like Raimi projecting all his prejudices towards the character and storyline onto film. He considered a joke and it showed.
I still feel pissed at certain people about that. I know everyone likes to blame Arad for trying to "force" Venom and the symbiote into the film,but I blame Raimi and to a lesser extent,Topher Grace. I blame Sam for the reasons you mentioned. Plus,there was always that rumor that he intentionally screwed over Venom(and when you watch the movie it does make you wonder),although I don't think that was the case. Still...
And I blame Topher too because here's a guy who claimed he was this huge Venom fan. Yet,when he saw how the film was treating the character why not speak up? Actors give opinions on their characters and motivations all the time. If it were me,I would've went up to Sam or the writers and said,"Um,hey. Venom wouldn't do or say this." I mean,couldn't Sam or the writers figure it out that Venom(at least)refers to himself as "We?" Was that too much to find out or include in the movie??!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #883
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know everyone likes to blame Arad for trying to "force" Venom and the symbiote into the film,but I blame Raimi and to a lesser extent,Topher Grace. I blame Sam for the reasons you mentioned.
Though, Raimi wouldn't need to do what he did if the studios didn't force Venom on him and trusted him to make a good film without interference. It's downright shameful that the suits wouldn't trust a man that gave him them two successful movies.

Quote:
Still...
And I blame Topher too because here's a guy who claimed he was this huge Venom fan. Yet,when he saw how the film was treating the character why not speak up? Actors give opinions on their characters and motivations all the time. If it were me,I would've went up to Sam or the writers and said,"Um,hey. Venom wouldn't do or say this."
If even Raimi had to submit to the whims of the suits, what can an actor of Topher's paltry standing do? Perhaps he did speak up, all for naught.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #884
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom75 View Post
I still feel pissed at certain people about that. I know everyone likes to blame Arad for trying to "force" Venom and the symbiote into the film,but I blame Raimi and to a lesser extent,Topher Grace. I blame Sam for the reasons you mentioned. Plus,there was always that rumor that he intentionally screwed over Venom(and when you watch the movie it does make you wonder),although I don't think that was the case. Still...
And I blame Topher too because here's a guy who claimed he was this huge Venom fan. Yet,when he saw how the film was treating the character why not speak up? Actors give opinions on their characters and motivations all the time. If it were me,I would've went up to Sam or the writers and said,"Um,hey. Venom wouldn't do or say this." I mean,couldn't Sam or the writers figure it out that Venom(at least)refers to himself as "We?" Was that too much to find out or include in the movie??!
I will blame Arad until the end of time. Sure Sam could of made Venom fit in the film better but his hatred of the character is a good reason why there shouldn't of been any Venom in the film in the first place IMO. CURSE YOU AVI ARAD!!!!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #885
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Very true. You could tell that Raimi didn't want to take it serious. He didn't get the symbiote and he treated it like the joke that he saw the element as.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #886
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I will blame Arad until the end of time. Sure Sam could of made Venom fit in the film better but his hatred of the character is a good reason why there shouldn't of been any Venom in the film in the first place IMO. CURSE YOU AVI ARAD!!!!
But Sam could've always said no. I seriously doubt his job would've been in jeopardy. I think Arad suggested Venom(not forced)because he knew that everyone wanted to see him and that would've made the film a bigger success. I do agree however,that the last thing you should do is too have someone do something they're not comfortable with. But,at least with me,I'd sooner blame the writers and Sam than Arad.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #887
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Guess who saw Spider-Man 2 earlier today and still loved it?

ME!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #888
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Guess who saw Spider-Man 2 earlier today and still loved it?

ME!
Great movie that never gets old... still the best Spider-Man film ever.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #889
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Seconded.

It still has the best action I've ever seen in a superhero movie, too.

- The Joker
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #890
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Thirded.

All the fanboys keep speculating that TASM2 will surpass SM2 as "best superhero movie ever"- which is no surprise, as they tend to do that with every movie in the pipeline.

I just don't see it happening though, based on the content and execution of both movies. SM2 had a lot of meat to it, while TASM2 looks to be more of a movie that's "about the plot". I'm sure it'll be a fine movie with great action and acting, but I highly doubt it'll have the pathos or daring qualities that SM2 had.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #891
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Well I do expect another Spider-Man film I can greatly enjoy. It'll be ten years next year since that happened so I do have hope for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #892
DX
YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Damn skippy.

...I wanna watch it again now, lol.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/spiderman3 - SIGN IT.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #893
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Goblin added to my collection!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #894
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Nice!

I'm thinking about doing a trilogy run tonight. I'm already halfway through the first one, and I''m definitely looking forward to SM2, but I'm not sure yet if I'll stick through it and finish SM3. It's not because I hate it like most people, but just because SM2 is so good that there's really not much to see once its done.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #895
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^ Well I'll say S-M 3 is definitely awful, haha, but I also get your point. Spider-Man 2 could be viewed as some sort of ending. Teasing Harry Osborn's turn doesn't need to be given a film where he ends up being the next Goblin or whatever and MJ and Peter have finally gotten together in the end(and it's not like Raimi ever bothered to bring John Jameson back in and made him one a one-hit wonder ). Plus...the only two worthwhile Spidey villains, imo, were used...what else could you really want?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #896
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

You know, the more I think about it now, I can't help but feel like there's a whole film missing in between SM2 and SM3 because it doesn't really feel like a direct sequel. In SM2, there was a jump to two years after the events of the first film, so it made sense to see some major changes in characters, like Harry's position in Oscorp, MJ's success in theater, Peter getting lost in his life as Spidey and Aunt May struggling to get by on her own.

But in SM3, it was a weird mix of being set months after SM2, but other things were completely rushed and made it seem like it picked up shortly after SM2. Other than Peter and MJ being together, and Harry finding out Peter was Spider-Man, nothing else really mattered. Aunt May moving out wasn't a big deal, John Jameson's appearance seemed pointless, and it seemed really weird how MJ didn't even know why Harry and Peter were at odds. Like I've always said that each film had a different feel and look to it, but there seemed to be an bigger divide for some reason between SM2 and SM3.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #897
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

I like to imagine there's some stuff between the movies that we don't know about. Ever since JJJ mentioned Dr. Strange in SM2 I imagine a team up between the two Ditko co-created Marvels. Some stuff had to go on in Peter's life, as well as some minor villains. I just like to imagine it.

Also, cool Green Goblin statue!

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

TIMESPACE.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #898
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
You know, the more I think about it now, I can't help but feel like there's a whole film missing in between SM2 and SM3 because it doesn't really feel like a direct sequel. In SM2, there was a jump to two years after the events of the first film, so it made sense to see some major changes in characters, like Harry's position in Oscorp, MJ's success in theater, Peter getting lost in his life as Spidey and Aunt May struggling to get by on her own.

But in SM3, it was a weird mix of being set months after SM2, but other things were completely rushed and made it seem like it picked up shortly after SM2. Other than Peter and MJ being together, and Harry finding out Peter was Spider-Man, nothing else really mattered. Aunt May moving out wasn't a big deal, John Jameson's appearance seemed pointless, and it seemed really weird how MJ didn't even know why Harry and Peter were at odds. Like I've always said that each film had a different feel and look to it, but there seemed to be an bigger divide for some reason between SM2 and SM3.
I'm the complete opposite. Part of the reason I really enjoy this series is the consistency of production. No other series I can think of has such a constant. On John Jameson, I agree to an extent, but after the events of 2 it isn't all that jarring to have him disappear.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #899
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

Agree, agree, agree!

Besides the obvious tone change in S-M 3, it never felt like a sequel. When the symbiote is introduced, you'd think John Jameson could play a part, but instead within those six months, John just disappears without a peep from J. Jonah Jameson. It's pretty bizarre. And then you have Aunt May...she didn't exactly move in S-M 2 and they just passed that storyline where it seemed like such a big deal in S-M 2. I think, if anything, S-M 3 would've been best if it followed right after S-M 2's events....imagine if Spidey left at the end of S-M 2 to a prison where Flint Marko escaped...now that would've been stellar.

At least the only gripe I have with Nolan's consistency in his trilogy is that Coleman Reese isn't used again...can't say the same for the inconsistency in S-M 3. But, as I mentioned, the first two films can be a whole story right there and I will always view it that way....but sometimes I'll pop in The Venom Saga and that's my S-M 3, lol.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #900
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I've always thought that having JJ finding out that Peter "stole" Mary Jane away from John would've been a really good storyline to introduce in part 3. He could make Peter's life at the Bugle even worse and promote Eddie Brock just to punish Peter. Then,when Peter gets the symbiote he could let out all his anger on Jonah and the Bugle,kinda like the 90's cartoon did when the black suited Spider-man showed up and threatened Jameson unless he stopped writing lies about him.

Closed Thread