The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #251
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

at the end of the day the only color that matters for johnny is this

Old 05-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #252
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

But see here is the thing....I am already seeing it happen, it happened with the Alba choice. It ended up taking up the majority of the discussion time, that "could" have been positive word of mouth at the beginning, and through the first few months. People from the beginning had a bad taste in their mouth because they felt like, unnecessary changes were being made. THE ONLY THING that got more discussion time at the beginning was "Doom with hooves". Why do that if there are other good choices that would keep that from happening, or even possibly, keep the full character intact in look, age, culture, that has taken us through many generations of this comic? No one has really given me a strong answer for that....if it turns out that the other choices were meh, and acting wise he was the best choice, then I will shut my mouth and trumpet his arrival....we don't know those answers yet. If I see someone like a Colton Haynes that is bypassed, and he was up for the part, then I will question this choice....But we are now seeing this "one rumor" totally take over this board, and I'm not sure that is a positive thing for the movie. Just my opinion, but that is how I see it, having been on this board throughout the first 2 movies....I've seen what that kind of discussion can do to the early word of mouth of a movie.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #253
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
In the article from "The Wrap" in which Michael B. Jordan is said to be in contention for the role of Johnny Storm, the most interesting factoid provided (if true) is in the 10th paragraph.

"Fantastic Four" has not been greenlit. Keep hope alive!
Here's hoping. I can write off X-Men and Spidey but would really prefer the FF be back under Marvel's banner. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, that stuff belongs in the MCU. Fingers crossed.

Of course even if FOX does get this off the ground and it tanks they might just let it go anyway. Sony apparently didn't want to hang on to Ghost Rider any more.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #254
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Exactly!

Old 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #255
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Here's hoping. I can write off X-Men and Spidey but would really prefer the FF be back under Marvel's banner. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, that stuff belongs in the MCU. Fingers crossed.

Of course even if FOX does get this off the ground and it tanks they might just let it go anyway. Sony apparently didn't want to hang on to Ghost Rider any more.
Feige has said in the past that the relationship between Marvel and Sony is especially good - most likely due to the hundreds of millions Disney rakes in with Spidey branded merchandise whenever Sony releases a film. Sony released the GR rights years before they were required to (probably) to keep the relationship solid in case the two companies decide to collaborate in the future with Spidey. The relationship with FOX appears to be quite a bit more contentious

Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #256
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
You can make the same case for many other superheroes, but why shouldn't they keep the look of the heroes, both with and without the mask, intact? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #257
JP
Smelly

I don't think you can compare Alba and MBJ. For one, Alba is not a very good actress, and nothing remotely similar to Sue.. and that had nothing to do with her race. MBJ, on the other hand, is a talented and incredibly charismatic actor, and by all around perfect for Johnny. He just happens to be black.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #258
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Um, apparently you didn't hang out on the F4 boards back then, but OK....

I think the comparison is spot on...just my opinion.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #259
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post

What is this about Ghost Rider? Has it reverted to Marvel? Where is this news?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #260
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Per this week's edition of Entertainment Weekly, the one with RDJ and Gweneth on the cover, Sony has relinquished the GR rights.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #261
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I don't think you can compare Alba and MBJ. For one, Alba is not a very good actress, and nothing remotely similar to Sue.. and that had nothing to do with her race. MBJ, on the other hand, is a talented and incredibly charismatic actor, and by all around perfect for Johnny. He just happens to be black.
The problem is that, if you start thinking this way it will turn into a slippery slope. Theoretically, there is always an actor who can play a certain superhero but he/she has a different race than that particular superhero. I think that they should always tried to make the character resemble the one from the comics as much as possible, because those characters have been around for decades and that's how we visualize them. I also don't believe that they cannot find a blonde actor who is also charismatic and has acting chops to play Johnny Storm. MBJ isn't the only actor out there who possesses those qualities.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #262
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...marvel-studios

Thread here: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=457071

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #263
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Thanks. I hadn't seen those yet.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #264
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
You're implying that they cannot find a young blonde actor who has the acting chops to play Johnny Storm in Hollywood.

Btw, I don't understand why Superman has to be white, either. Isn't he an alien?
Its not his alien origin that requires he be white. Its his Kansas small farm upbringing. An important part of his origin is that he is Pa and Ma Kent's son, and believed to be such by himself and everyone around him, just another small town country boy. And there aren't a lot of black farmers in 70s Kansas.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #265
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Feige has said in the past that the relationship between Marvel and Sony is especially good - most likely due to the hundreds of millions Disney rakes in with Spidey branded merchandise whenever Sony releases a film. Sony released the GR rights years before they were required to (probably) to keep the relationship solid in case the two companies decide to collaborate in the future with Spidey. The relationship with FOX appears to be quite a bit more contentious
Yeah, my own theory is that Marvel didn't even demand the rights back. Sony just figured that the best value they could get out of them was some extra good will from Marvel/Disney, much moreso than they could get from making another movie.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #266
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Its not his alien origin that requires he be white. Its his Kansas small farm upbringing. An important part of his origin is that he is Pa and Ma Kent's son, and believed to be such by himself and everyone around him, just another small town country boy. And there aren't a lot of black farmers in 70s Kansas.
I guess that begs the question then: does Clark Kent have to be from Kansas? What if he crashed in Tenessee or Alabama or somewhere else in the south where the Kents lived instead? Does Smallville have to be in Kansas?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #267
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
I guess that begs the question then: does Clark Kent have to be from Kansas? What if he crashed in Tenessee or Alabama or somewhere else in the south where the Kents lived instead? Does Smallville have to be in Kansas?
Historically, Smallville hadn't been tied to any state within the comics. I thought the Kansas placement was made in the Reeves movies, but Wikipedia has Byrne's 80s reboot as the culprit.

Regarding the Torch - I am all for colorblind casting, and being a fan of Community I had hoped that Donald Glover got to play Spidey. Personally, I am much more accepting of "creative casting" with actors that don't change the iconic look of the hero. Black Spidey, Asian Iron Man, Hispanic Hulk? I have no problem at all with those changes. But I think I (and other comics fans) would be less likely to embrace similar casting decisions with Clark Kent, Thor and yes, Johnny Storm.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #268
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
im sure that's FOX's mindset as well... "It's all about the powers that make the characters" they pull the same garbage with the X-men

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #269
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
But see here is the thing....I am already seeing it happen, it happened with the Alba choice. It ended up taking up the majority of the discussion time, that "could" have been positive word of mouth at the beginning, and through the first few months. People from the beginning had a bad taste in their mouth because they felt like, unnecessary changes were being made. THE ONLY THING that got more discussion time at the beginning was "Doom with hooves". Why do that if there are other good choices that would keep that from happening, or even possibly, keep the full character intact in look, age, culture, that has taken us through many generations of this comic? No one has really given me a strong answer for that....if it turns out that the other choices were meh, and acting wise he was the best choice, then I will shut my mouth and trumpet his arrival....we don't know those answers yet. If I see someone like a Colton Haynes that is bypassed, and he was up for the part, then I will question this choice....But we are now seeing this "one rumor" totally take over this board, and I'm not sure that is a positive thing for the movie. Just my opinion, but that is how I see it, having been on this board throughout the first 2 movies....I've seen what that kind of discussion can do to the early word of mouth of a movie.
I agree... stirring the pot in the case of a franchise that the General Public is already rolling their eyes about is not the way to go. It's far far far too early to already cause people to lose interest. And casting rumors like these hurt the film far more than help it

[=]
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #270
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Um, apparently you didn't hang out on the F4 boards back then, but OK....

I think the comparison is spot on...just my opinion.
i honestly didn't find Alba's acting or look "that" far off from Sue Storm, It's Alba in general that's just hard to take seriously... but she looked the part FAR more than MBJ does to johnny... people underestimate peoples comfort-ability with iconic familiarity...

You'd see a MASSIVE uproar if we ever got a Blonde Superman that'd make this ordeal look like child's play. Like Kelly said before.. this kind of thing is already causing a backlash on a film that REALLY does not need it. It has enough hurdles to cross as is.

to me, this sounds like a death-sentence to FF at Fox. I'm sure Marvel is thrilled

[=]
Old 05-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #271
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
i honestly didn't find Alba's acting or look "that" far off from Sue Storm, It's Alba in general that's just hard to take seriously... but she looked the part FAR more than MBJ does to johnny... people underestimate peoples comfort-ability with iconic familiarity...

You'd see a MASSIVE uproar if we ever got a Blonde Superman that'd make this ordeal look like child's play. Like Kelly said before.. this kind of thing is already causing a backlash on a film that REALLY does not need it. It has enough hurdles to cross as is.

to me, this sounds like a death-sentence to FF at Fox. I'm sure Marvel is thrilled
The look? No, I had no problem with the look, she was very close to the Marvel Knights art work for Sue....but the writing? She was a ***** to everyone from Johnny to Reed. THE ONLY time I saw her as Sue was the scene in the first movie (that was cut BTW) where she had dinner with Doom, and then here and there throughout the film (the last fight scene between her and Doom, yes very Sue like) but as a whole, hmmmmmm....not Sue.

As far as the 2nd movie? The look? YES.....the wig and make up in the first half of the movie was horrible, I think she finally took at look at the dailys and thought, holy crap I look like Barbie and got it changed....Her scene with Alicia before the wedding was very Alicia/Sue, her scene with Doom in the lab, was totally the Sue from the Marvel Knights editions in look, attitude, everything....and her scene with the Silver Surfer, as well as the sacrifice at the end. But throughout the movie you still had the *****y Sue about her wedding, *****y Sue towards Johnny....and absolutely NO INTERACTION with Ben at all.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #272
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

I always thought Alba would have made a better Crystal...

Old 05-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #273
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
im sure that's FOX's mindset as well... "It's all about the powers that make the characters" they pull the same garbage with the X-men
the fact that they are going after someone the caliber of MBJ shows they care about character and acting fox easily could go after guys like liam hemsworth or alex pettyfer

Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #274
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

I might would say that about a .... say .... Denzel Washington, but this guy? hmmmm...ok

Old 05-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #275
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
the fact that they are going after someone the caliber of MBJ shows they care about character and acting fox easily could go after guys like liam hemsworth or alex pettyfer
I honestly don't think he is that great of an actor. You make it seem like he is the next great Hollywood box office draw. I just don't see it.