The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
thorstone
Side-Kick
 
thorstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 846
Default Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

If it's possible for Darth Sidious to resurrect himself; then why should it not be possible for Plagueis to do the same? Could Plagueis be the villain of the new trilogy?



Keep in mind, the expanded universe is nothing more than fan fiction. All that can be confirmed about Plagueis is that he was a Sith and he knew secrets about eternal life and creating life. The species that he was cast as in the books may not even apply to the films.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,703
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

If the EU is fan fiction, there is no precedent for resurrection, even for Palpatine, and therefore no reason to bring in Plagueis. Leave him as the Sith Legend that died because of his blinding sense of self-worth.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination
 
zeroapoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,570
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

It's not "fan fiction".

However it's not canon and nothing in there will have anything to do with the films.

zeroapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 39,387
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

He'll b resurrected as Darth Retcon

Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
If the EU is fan fiction, there is no precedent for resurrection, even for Palpatine, and therefore no reason to bring in Plagueis. Leave him as the Sith Legend that died because of his blinding sense of self-worth.
Yeah your point pretty much implodes itself. I think Plagueis may have a role, just because Lucas did seem to be planning the sequels at the time of filming Episode III (i.e. putting in a clause that Peter Mayhew return for Episode VII back in 04) so it is a possibility, however it seems unlikely.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Solouk
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 89
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
If the EU is fan fiction, there is no precedent for resurrection, even for Palpatine, and therefore no reason to bring in Plagueis. Leave him as the Sith Legend that died because of his blinding sense of self-worth.
^^^^this^^^^

Solouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 39,387
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Yeah your point pretty much implodes itself. I think Plagueis may have a role, just because Lucas did seem to be planning the sequels at the time of filming Episode III (i.e. putting in a clause that Peter Mayhew return for Episode VII back in 04) so it is a possibility, however it seems unlikely.
I think George kept that idea open but with anything things change, especially after the Disney deal or Mayhew playing Chewy again (he won't sadly. He can barely walk anymore.)

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Jedi-Spirit
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 141
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Clearly Palpatine was stretching the truth to sway Anakin....NO resurrections!

Jedi-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 210
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Agreed. Leave Plagueis for a palpatine spinoff. To me, personally that film has a lot of merit.

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 616
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Sith shouldn't be in any chronological sequels to Jedi. That would completely undermine the pay off to the first six movies.

Miken Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miken Ayers View Post
Sith shouldn't be in any chronological sequels to Jedi. That would completely undermine the pay off to the first six movies.
While I agree Plagueis shouldnt be in the film, the Sith are the antagonists of Star Wars, Anakin wasn't supposed to "kill the sith" as many of the Jedi said he was supposed to "bring balance to the force". Now I don't think many people, EU writers included, understood what that meant.

Lucas was trying to show the system of the Jedi and the Senate was broken at the start of Phantom Menace, he didn't pull this off very well which has lead to a great deal of criticism but he was. Mace Windu was NOT supposed to be a likable character, he was supposed to frustrate the audience as much as he frustrated Anakin. It was religious allegory, the Jedi were the Jews gambling in the temple and defiling the holy sanctuary straying from their teachings, Anakin was Jesus marching on the temple and scolding the heretics. Order 66 was the Rapture, Palpatine was the Anti-Christ and the Empire was his 7 year reign.

This is why I don't want to see a new Jedi Council or a new identical Senate, Lucas wasn't as clear as he should have been but these were not supposed to be good concepts (I think he wasnt sure how to portray this while making the Jedi likable). The point is the original six films just leveled the playing field, the new films should follow suit and be about rebuilding and race between the light and darkside to return to prominence in the galaxy.

Btw I know Mayhew isn't returning, but the fact it was in his contract in 2005 shows Lucas wasn't sealing his doors like he so adamantly claimed, therefor Sith could have been planting seeds for future films.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
thorstone
Side-Kick
 
thorstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 846
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Palpatine claimed in Revenge of the Sith that Plagueis had discovered how to live forever.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
Solouk
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 89
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Palpatine claimed in Revenge of the Sith that Plagueis had discovered how to live forever.
He was telling Anakin a load of crap because Anakin was stupid enough to buy it. Palpatine killed Plagueis so he would be the master. So Plageuis is dead, ie not alive anymore. Doesn't take much working out.

Solouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 210
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solouk View Post
He was telling Anakin a load of crap because Anakin was stupid enough to buy it. Palpatine killed Plagueis so he would be the master. So Plageuis is dead, ie not alive anymore. Doesn't take much working out.
Would you be in favor of spin-off film chronically how palpatine killed him?

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #15
Solouk
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 89
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCarlson View Post
Would you be in favor of spin-off film chronically how palpatine killed him?
Yeah I would be in favour of that. Didnt he kill him in his sleep? Only thing that would concern me would be getting the right actor to play the 'young' Palpatine.

Solouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,494
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solouk View Post
Yeah I would be in favour of that. Didnt he kill him in his sleep? Only thing that would concern me would be getting the right actor to play the 'young' Palpatine.
Yeah, in the movie (ie official canon) he kills him in his sleep, seemingly years and years before the events of TPM. In the EU (ie disregarded) I believe (because I haven't read it myself) Sidious gets Plagueis drunk after he's elected to Supreme Chancellor, and tortures him to death with Sith Lightning. I don't know why it was written that way for a number of reasons, but there it is.

Somebody correct me if I've remembered that wrong?

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
Iron Legion_042
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chester, PA
Posts: 70
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Darth Plagueis was a genius and Sidious was even more clever. I hope they don't bring them back. I'm conidering all EU stuff after Episode VI non-canon from now on, btw. Let's not ruin the saga here shall we?

Iron Legion_042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Arawn Fenn
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 67
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solouk View Post
He was telling Anakin a load of crap because Anakin was stupid enough to buy it. Palpatine killed Plagueis so he would be the master. So Plageuis is dead, ie not alive anymore.
Plagueis being dead and Plagueis learning how to "live forever" are not mutually exclusive because it is never meant to be suggested that Plagueis' alleged power would make one invulnerable to physical damage or equivalently unable to be killed by force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi
While I agree Plagueis shouldnt be in the film, the Sith are the antagonists of Star Wars, Anakin wasn't supposed to "kill the sith" as many of the Jedi said he was supposed to "bring balance to the force".
ROTS linked those two objectives, but you could always have new darksiders arise and call themselves "Sith" ( though they wouldn't be descended from the Banites in lineage ), especially since there will still be Jedi around and you can get new darksiders from their ranks.


Last edited by Arawn Fenn; 08-05-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Arawn Fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 210
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Darth Plagueis offers such an intriguing look into Palpatine and the entire SW universe, i sincerely hope that Disney and Lucasfilm decide to go back and make a film centered around that relationship.

Furthermore, many people here believe that Disney will "oversaturate" the SW market. I disagree wholeheartedly with that concept. I think Disney is in a position to explore 3 different time periods with their universe. They can go back and make KOTOR films, a Plagueis film, they can make in-betweeners like possible Obi wan and Fett movies, and they can continue to further the story with sequels.

Fans out there can argue that Disney is milking the franchise all they want. I prefer to look at it as the executives over there at the studio are giving the fans what they want and getting the reward that comes with making fans happy. All the signs that are out are pointing towards Disney really making a hard attempt at making fans happy, they went out and hired A-list writers and filmmakers. I am extremely excited for what's to come.

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #20
Grievous
Miss Me?
 
Grievous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kalee
Posts: 4,267
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

I believe Plagueis never had the power to keep others from dying. From my understanding he was Palpatine's master who helped him plan the take over and destruction of the Jedi and was killed by Palpatine once he became chancellor at the end of Episode 1. So Plagueis was indeed alive during the first movie, he just wasn't shown on screen.

__________________
Kentucky Wildcats Baltimore Ravens
"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua
 
BATZARRO WWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In my house!
Posts: 904
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Even if Palpatine's story was completely factual, and he's kind of the devil...I don't think Plagueius' powers extend to reviving himself. I don't know, first thing I'd do I'd get right back up and piledrive Sidius a few times. I just took it that his "creating life" powers required him to be alive himself. It raises an important narrative question: if he can do anything, why didn't he do anything?

BATZARRO WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #22
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 210
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

This is why a palpatine movie needs to be made. To clear up this confusion.

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 229
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
If it's possible for Darth Sidious to resurrect himself; then why should it not be possible for Plagueis to do the same? Could Plagueis be the villain of the new trilogy?



Keep in mind, the expanded universe is nothing more than fan fiction. All that can be confirmed about Plagueis is that he was a Sith and he knew secrets about eternal life and creating life. The species that he was cast as in the books may not even apply to the films.
This is almost completely false.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #24
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 229
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
If the EU is fan fiction, there is no precedent for resurrection, even for Palpatine, and therefore no reason to bring in Plagueis. Leave him as the Sith Legend that died because of his blinding sense of self-worth.
This too. The Original Post completely contradicts itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Yeah, in the movie (ie official canon) he kills him in his sleep, seemingly years and years before the events of TPM. In the EU (ie disregarded) I believe (because I haven't read it myself) Sidious gets Plagueis drunk after he's elected to Supreme Chancellor, and tortures him to death with Sith Lightning. I don't know why it was written that way for a number of reasons, but there it is.

Somebody correct me if I've remembered that wrong?
Pretty much. I believe it was written that way to leave some potential for reviving Plagueis, whereas if he had was decapitated by a lightsaber it would be harder to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
I believe Plagueis never had the power to keep others from dying. From my understanding he was Palpatine's master who helped him plan the take over and destruction of the Jedi and was killed by Palpatine once he became chancellor at the end of Episode 1. So Plagueis was indeed alive during the first movie, he just wasn't shown on screen.
He did actually. He had a test subject that he killed and revived repeatedly.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #25
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 3,516
Default Re: Is the Elephant in the Room Darth Plagueis?

If Plagueis is in the trilogy I hope they get a seasoned thespian to play him. I'm thinking along the lines of:

-Ralph Fiennes
-Charles Dance
-Michael Gambon
-Derek Jacobi

__________________
Twitter: @Jasper_CH

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.