Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #76
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlo View Post
I'm disgusted with the cast, If what they will get paid is enough and if what they want is more than enough than frick them.
Honestly, if it's really a matter of them wanting to get paid on what's a more fair price considering the success that the last Avengers film had, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I mean it's like a person who gets paid 10 dollars for doing something when they should be getting paid 20 dollars for it, especially when other studios are offering to pay more for their talents for films that are somewhat smaller in scale when compared to the Avengers' films.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #77
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

I can kinda see both sides of it, hopefully the actors and Marvel come together on a mutual agreement that works for all.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #78
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
I'm disgusted with the cast, if what they will get paid is enough and if what they want is more than enough than frick them.
why? they are the ones doing the work.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #79
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post

[I’ve learned that one reason why The Avengers was nominated for only one Oscar – Best Visual Effects – in the 85th Academy Awards contest was because Marvel refused to pay for an awards season campaign for the picture. And even when Disney offered to foot the bill, Marvel still wouldn’t budge. (Yet the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences assembled the cast onstage to create buzz.) Here’s how one exec describes any negotiation with Marvel: “I wouldn’t say it’s brutal. It’s uncompromising, not mean or draconian. The fact is this is the reality of the world we’re living in right now."]

http://25.media.tumblr.com/83f2ffc92...dteyo1_500.gif
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #80
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Why are some people here so quick to vilify the cast?

Granted, everyone involved on both sides is rich and well off. However, these actors also have high living expenses, and the disparity in pay IS ridiculous.

Robert Downey Jr. reportedly got paid $50 million out of the movie's $1.5 billion box office. Meanwhile, the rest of the cast got paid in the neighborhood of...$200,000?

Relatively speaking, that IS ridiculous. Downey is the biggest star but I seriously doubt he was two hundred fifty times as critical to the movie as guys like Evans and Hemsworth.

From what the article is claiming, they want around $5 million up front (which is the amount that Hemsworth got from the much smaller Snow White). That really isn't ridiculous at all. The other actors want a small percentage of what Downey made, as opposed to a tiny percentage.

And while no actor is completely critical to the success of this franchise (even Downey), the same could be said for all the corporate suits sitting behind the scenes at Marvel. Were all of them THAT necessary for the movie? Why do people complain about the amount of money being raked in by the actors, but not the money going to the rich guys who don't even show up in the actual film?

Signing a contract does mean something, and if it comes down to it the contract is and should be binding. However, contracts are renegotiated. It's not a breach to simply discuss a raise. And normal people ask for raises all the time. I doubt that every single person who ever asked for a raise absolutely worked that much harder to earn it all. Or couldn't have made do with the money they had already been getting.

And finally, not even everyone has been signed yet. If Hemsworth is unsigned, and he can make way more than $200,000 doing any other film, then why should he be disparaged for wanting more?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #81
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Already a lot of brinkmanship played out for Captain America 2 and Thor 2. Calling it the “weirdest experience”, one rep still can’;t believe Marvel offered “only a $500,000 raise and then would pay another $500,000 when the movie hits $500M.
So Evans and Hemsworth have the potential of making a whole $1 million off of their blockbuster sequels, before taxes.

Downey's not even going to be in these movies, which will be carried on the backs of Evans and Hemsworth. So they're the big undisputed stars of their own solo movies, and they might make a whopping 0.2% of the box office?

This kind of pay just isn't competitive at all compared to what any other studio could give them.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #82
Merlo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
why? they are the ones doing the work.
I know, them getting paid is fine since they have to pay for stuff that they want and need, I just really don't like it when celebs are greedy for money for no good reason. I am also sick of celebs that seem to be ungreatful, they never seem to stop and think that something could be worse for them.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #83
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post

It's cool that RDJ seems to be standing by the cast.
He even stood up for the cast and crew of Tropic Thunder when Ben Stiller wanted to keep shooting, and he pushed for Stiller to give them a much-needed break from filming. He's a team player and will stick up for his co-workers if they're not being given a fair shake. Classy.

Marvel has a lot to lose if virtually the entire Avengers cast walks from the sequel because of money disputes. They can't recast everyone without a massive backlash. They'll gnash their teeth but they'll pay the actors their fair share. They might reduce an upfront payment, but a backend deal is potentially more money in the actors' pockets.

Although I'm curious as to why Disney and Marvel Studios didn't get negotiations for Avengers 2 done with when they set that May 2015 date last year. Why wait until now?

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #84
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlo
I know, them getting paid is fine since they have to pay for stuff that they want and need, I just really don't like it when celebs are greedy for money for no good reason. I am also sick of celebs that seem to be ungreatful.
Again, everyone on both sides is rich. Are you sick of faceless corporate suits raking in all the money instead?

According to the article, the other Avengers actors want $5 million up front. That's far from A-list pay.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #85
T"Challa
Side-Kick

5 mill isnt some exhorbitant amount considering how successful the movies have been.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #86
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Although I'm curious as to why Disney and Marvel Studios didn't get negotiations for Avengers 2 done with when they set that May 2015 date last year. Why wait until now?
The contract lengths seem really inconsistent and weird.

According to the article, Scarlett got locked up for 8 movie appearances. Samuel L. Jackson's famous deal was for 9 appearances. Even Cobie Smulders said that she got locked up for 8 movies herself.

Yet Hemsworth is currently unsigned, and Evans only signed for Avengers 2 when he agreed to Winter Soldier?

Then again, Hemsworth and Evans were probably smart not to sign longer deals for that little money, giving them more leverage to demand more later on.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #87
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
I'm disgusted with the cast, if what they will get paid is enough and if what they want is more than enough than frick them.
Holy over-reaction.

Quote:
I know, them getting paid is fine since they have to pay for stuff that they want and need, I just really don't like it when celebs are greedy for money for no good reason. I am also sick of celebs that seem to be ungreatful, they never seem to stop and think that something could be worse for them.
I think you've lost touch with the reality of the situation.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 05-07-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #88
Merlo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkLuther55 View Post
Again, everyone on both sides is rich. Are you sick of faceless corporate suits raking in all the money instead?

According to the article, the other Avengers actors want $5 million up front. That's far from A-list pay.
Meh, what I said before, I still stand by it. Celebs also seem to blow chunks big time when it comes to getting the most out of the money they have.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #89
Chewy
REDACTED

This thread

Mo money mo problems

Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #90
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Meh, what I said before, I still stand by it. Celebs also seem to blow chunks big time when it comes to getting the most out of the money they have.
So rich famous people suck for wanting money, but even richer non-famous people don't?

Those guys in the board room have it made. So much of society isn't even conditioned to question them.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #91
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkLuther55 View Post
The contract lengths seem really inconsistent and weird.

According to the article, Scarlett got locked up for 8 movie appearances. Samuel L. Jackson's famous deal was for 9 appearances. Even Cobie Smulders said that she got locked up for 8 movies herself.

Yet Hemsworth is currently unsigned, and Evans only signed for Avengers 2 when he agreed to Winter Soldier?

Then again, Hemsworth and Evans were probably smart not to sign longer deals for that little money, giving them more leverage to demand more later on.
Contracts and sequel options are only as good as the paper they're written on -- just ask Terrence Howard and Rupert Wyatt. Like when The Hunger Games became a worldwide smash hit, Jennifer Lawrence and the principal cast's contracts included three sequels. When negotiations started for Catching Fire started, Lawrence and co were able to renegotiate a higher payday for the sequel ($10M upfront vs. the $1M she got on the first film).

That's what the supporting Avengers actors are doing... renegotiating their contracts for better paydays. If the two can't agree on terms, the actors can walk or Marvel can terminate their contracts.

With RDJ backing his co-stars, Marvel will cave.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #92
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
5 mill isnt some exhorbitant amount considering how successful the movies have been.
It's nothing compared to what Avengers 2 is likely to bring in. They deserve it as they've been good sports about everything up to this point.

I will say this though, RDJ's salary is getting up there.

BTW, not running a campaign to get some more awards is a bit snakey to me. In the back of Marvel's mind, I'm sure that was because of added salary demands.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #93
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Please stop posting. For the betterment of this thread.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #94
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Contracts and sequel options are only as good as the paper they're written on -- just ask Terrence Howard and Rupert Wyatt. Like when The Hunger Games became a worldwide smash hit, Jennifer Lawrence and the principal cast's contracts included three sequels. When negotiations started for Catching Fire started, Lawrence and co were able to renegotiate a higher payday for the sequel ($10M upfront vs. the $1M she got on the first film).
Thanks, that's some interesting information.

So a then up and coming Jennifer Lawrence (plus whoever her costars were) already got $1M up front for the first Hunger Games?

Yet some people here can't see why the Avengers actors aren't satisfied with $200,000?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #95
D4rkShaDoWz
Gotham's Reckoning

I find it really hard to believe that Marvel signed a deal with Hemsworth for a three picture deal (Thor, Avengers, Thor 2). Evans has a six picture deal - 3 Captain America's and 3 Avengers films.

Why would Marvel knowingly sign on someone that could only be in three movies? When getting Ruffalo to replace Norton, didn't they want to avoid the same mistake they made last time with having the actor replaced?

That being said, Marvel is being unreasonably stingy about their money. I know it's a business but seriously - they didn't want to "waste" their money on Oscars promotions? Jesus. Are they THAT obsessive about money where they would give up a chance of earning a prestigious (sortof) award? I guess so. And expecting the cast members to take anything below $1 million is crazy considering The Avengers made over 2 billion dollars. 2 BILLION DOLLARS.

Check out my latest fan trailer -
X-Men: Days of Future Past and my short film "Touched"

Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #96
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkShaDoWz View Post
And expecting the cast members to take anything below $1 million is crazy considering The Avengers made over 2 billion dollars. 2 BILLION DOLLARS.
Wait, what?

They did $1.511 billion worldwide and another $91 million in DVD sales. I'm not sure what the BluRay sales were though.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #97
Merlo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Please stop posting. For the betterment of this thread.
Get bent.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #98
Chewy
REDACTED

What would be the point of an Oscar campaign? The academy wouldn't have nominated it for anything else anyway.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #99
Merlo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
What would be the point of an Oscar campaign? The academy wouldn't have nominated it for anything else anyway.
Agreed, it would have been pointless.

Last edited by Merlo; 05-07-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #100
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Yes, the reported worldwide box office was about $1.5 billion. But don't forget pay-per-view, rentals, and merchandise. Those things shouldn't be dismissed, even though they're not well reported and often forgotten. Supposedly, even a lot of "flops" eventually break even or profit from rentals. And for huge blockbusters like this, the toy sales must be crazy.

Closed Thread