The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: What do YOU think Thor Dark World will do?
500 Million 8 7.08%
550 Million 10 8.85%
600 Million 10 8.85%
650 Million 10 8.85%
700 Million 17 15.04%
750 Million 16 14.16%
800 Million 22 19.47%
850 Million 8 7.08%
900 Million 3 2.65%
950 Million 1 0.88%
1 Billion plus 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #151
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

This thread needs to be updated with a poll. And a title change or something.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #152
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 19,050
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
After watching the trailer
Domestic - I think this might perform like Oz, so $180 million to $240 million.
Worldwide - $500 million to $700 million
This is still my prediction after the opening weekend of Iron Man 3. But I think its safe to say that Thor 2 will at least get $600 million worldwide.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ROGUE | PORTRAYED BY ANNA PAQUIN
"The first boy I ever kissed ended up in a coma for three weeks. I can still feel him inside my head." - X1
"Bobby is gifted. You should see what he can do." - X2
"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #153
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Never understood that. MoS to me was always the clear one with hurdles to overcome. Well, that and Wolverine.
MoS lol. Superman hasn't been in $2 Billion worth of blockbusters in the last two summers. Superman has absolutely no momentum going into this film, and has to rely purely on the merits of it's trailer, it's character's past glory, and the reviews for the movie.


Thor has one of the heroes and the villain from the biggest Super Hero movie of all time, and the actors who portrayed them still in tow. Just like Wolverine in the late 80s-early 90s, The Avengers have clawed their way out of second stringer status and are now major cultural icons. These are A-list heroes on a hot streak.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #154
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,790
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

What makes Thor interesting to me his interaction with Earth and earth issues! Fighting earth menaces like the Wrecker or the Wrecking Crew. The Absorbing Man....
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...P9t-ladBjOKNQ6

This movie seems to be too focused on Asgard which turns this film into a Lord of the Rings type of movie.....heavy on magic , elfen creatures swords and arrows rather than bombs and lasers......

I loved the battle of science and magic when Thor and Iron squared off....

Now it seems that magic will be the full focus.....

Some folks dont like that kind of movie....dod you think that taking Thor away from Earth will hurt the movie or won't make a difference?

Shazam is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #155
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,790
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

I do think that Ironman 3 should have done "something" with that "after credits" scene to set up Thor 2!

That sets up the anticipation....

Shazam is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #156
Donar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 116
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
MoS lol. Superman hasn't been in $2 Billion worth of blockbusters in the last two summers. Superman has absolutely no momentum going into this film, and has to rely purely on the merits of it's trailer, it's character's past glory, and the reviews for the movie.


Thor has one of the heroes and the villain from the biggest Super Hero movie of all time, and the actors who portrayed them still in tow. Just like Wolverine in the late 80s-early 90s, The Avengers have clawed their way out of second stringer status and are now major cultural icons. These are A-list heroes on a hot streak.
Couldn't have said it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
What makes Thor interesting to me his interaction with Earth and earth issues! Fighting earth menaces like the Wrecker or the Wrecking Crew. The Absorbing Man....
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...P9t-ladBjOKNQ6

This movie seems to be too focused on Asgard which turns this film into a Lord of the Rings type of movie.....heavy on magic , elfen creatures swords and arrows rather than bombs and lasers......

I loved the battle of science and magic when Thor and Iron squared off....

Now it seems that magic will be the full focus.....

Some folks dont like that kind of movie....dod you think that taking Thor away from Earth will hurt the movie or won't make a difference?
I don't see how it will hurt the movie. The Nine Realms have always been one of the most intersting aspects of this character, not to mention the fact they always mixed magic and sci fi. That's hardly LOTR, imo.

Donar is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #157
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,809
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I do think that Ironman 3 should have done "something" with that "after credits" scene to set up Thor 2!

That sets up the anticipation....
I don't think it needed it. The trailer alone sets up plenty of anticipation.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #158
Drizzle
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto
 
Drizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tangled in strings
Posts: 10,572
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

After the box office success of IM3, and since the Thor: TDW trailer was probably attached to every print, I'm now fairly confident this could open to over $100 million. That trailer generated a lot of excitement.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Drizzle is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #159
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,155
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
MoS lol. Superman hasn't been in $2 Billion worth of blockbusters in the last two summers. Superman has absolutely no momentum going into this film, and has to rely purely on the merits of it's trailer, it's character's past glory, and the reviews for the movie.


Thor has one of the heroes and the villain from the biggest Super Hero movie of all time, and the actors who portrayed them still in tow. Just like Wolverine in the late 80s-early 90s, The Avengers have clawed their way out of second stringer status and are now major cultural icons. These are A-list heroes on a hot streak.

Bingo

I don't know how hard it is for people to understand this, it's spelled out as plain as day.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #160
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,475
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Bingo

I don't know how hard it is for people to understand this, it's spelled out as plain as day.
Yeah I'm personally not interested in Superman, I'll see the movie for sure and I really hope it hooks me into the character, but I've never been really interested, he's got like every superpower ever lol. Then again I don't read comics so I'm sure there's a lot there I don't know that other people love haha.

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #161
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,716
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Although I'm definitely looking forward to TDW more then MoS, I certainly don't think it's a given TDW makes more coin. It will be close. Right now I have MoS making 800 m + at the boxoffice. TDW has the Avengers effect, MoS has the Nolan effect.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #162
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,475
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Although I'm definitely looking forward to TDW more then MoS, I certainly don't think it's a given TDW makes more coin. It will be close. Right now I have MoS making 800 m + at the boxoffice. TDW has the Avengers effect, MoS has the Nolan effect.
I personally don't think there's a "Nolan effect" idk why though. I tend to see movies more for who is in them or what they're related to, directors or writers or producers have never really been a reason I've seen a movie. But hey, that's just me. That being said every Nolan movie I've seen I love.

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #163
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,716
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I personally don't think there's a "Nolan effect" idk why though. I tend to see movies more for who is in them or what they're related to, directors or writers or producers have never really been a reason I've seen a movie. But hey, that's just me. That being said every Nolan movie I've seen I love.
I definitely think there is a Nolan effect. Not as big as there'd be if he co-wrote and directed the film, but no doubt it's there. WB certainly thinks it is with their marketing.

I really don't know what to make of MoS, I can see it making anything from 600 m to 900 m +...It looks great in the trailers, but I'm also aware of the characters past performance. Is he really that popular because everyone knows who he is? Is he too powerful and straight-laced to connect with the masses, or were his powers and character poorly conceived in his last few films to connect like he should have? I get the feeling it's the latter. Big Time. It just has that lightning in a bottle vibe about it where it feels like it could just explode. We'll see soon enough.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-07-2013 at 01:28 AM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #164
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,155
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Although I'm definitely looking forward to TDW more then MoS, I certainly don't think it's a given TDW makes more coin. It will be close. Right now I have MoS making 800 m + at the boxoffice. TDW has the Avengers effect, MoS has the Nolan effect.
Thor will not only have The Avengers effect, it will also have the Iron Man 3 effect which is set to make almost as much.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #165
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,716
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Thor will not only have The Avengers effect, it will also have the Iron Man 3 effect which is set to make almost as much.
No doubt the momentum is great, but enough to top MoS....? I don't know, it's a close call imo.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #166
Donar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 116
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Predicting numbers is fun, but ,honestly, I'm not worried at all about TDW. I'm confident it will do great.

Donar is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #167
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,155
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
No doubt the momentum is great, but enough to top MoS....? I don't know, it's a close call imo.
I'm just saying it has more going for it, of course we don't know which film will actually earn more.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #168
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm just saying it has more going for it, of course we don't know which film will actually earn more.
honestly I don't see this beating MoS.... IM3 might beat MoS but I don't think Thor has enough star power right now to topple supes

ctsketch is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #169
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,255
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
MoS lol. Superman hasn't been in $2 Billion worth of blockbusters in the last two summers. Superman has absolutely no momentum going into this film, and has to rely purely on the merits of it's trailer, it's character's past glory, and the reviews for the movie.


Thor has one of the heroes and the villain from the biggest Super Hero movie of all time, and the actors who portrayed them still in tow. Just like Wolverine in the late 80s-early 90s, The Avengers have clawed their way out of second stringer status and are now major cultural icons. These are A-list heroes on a hot streak.
The part I bolded is the most important consideration when trying to judge the solo films' box office prospects. After the success of The Avengers, every one of the heroes in that franchise has to be looked at as a first tier character with blockbuster box office potential. With Iron Man 3 clearing three quarters of a billion dollars in ticket sales after two weeks of release, it's obvious that Marvel Studios' heroes have vaulted into the upper echelons.


Just as Iron Man has now supplanted Spider-Man and Superman in terms of film popularity, Thor and Captain America are moving up in the ranks as well. Disney's marketing machinery will soon begin to kick into high gear for TDW. Once that cranks up, the buzz for this film is going to skyrocket. The film has a good shot at doing more than double Thor's OS numbers. Domestically, it could easily do >$300M if it blasts out of the gate the way IM3 just did.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #170
restlessdreams
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Look for Thor to make about 200 million here in the USA and to make about 300 million in the foreign markets. It will have a worldwide gross of around 500 (give or take). The first Thor wasn't a huge huge hit (449 million) but thanks to the Avengers and the fact that Thor and Loki are becoming very popular it should give the movie a boost. But it won't beat IM3 and MAYBE it could beat MOS but that's a big maybe.

restlessdreams is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #171
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
honestly I don't see this beating MoS.... IM3 might beat MoS but I don't think Thor has enough star power right now to topple supes
That IM3 "might" beat MoS seems like a pretty huge understatement of it's chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessdreams View Post
Look for Thor to make about 200 million here in the USA and to make about 300 million in the foreign markets. It will have a worldwide gross of around 500 (give or take). The first Thor wasn't a huge huge hit (449 million) but thanks to the Avengers and the fact that Thor and Loki are becoming very popular it should give the movie a boost. But it won't beat IM3 and MAYBE it could beat MOS but that's a big maybe.
If it only increases 11% then I wouldn't say that there's any Avengers effect going on at all. IM3 is almost on the pace of doubling the gross of it's predecessor, and IM2 made more than Thor.

Mjölnir is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #172
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,809
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessdreams View Post
Look for Thor to make about 200 million here in the USA and to make about 300 million in the foreign markets. It will have a worldwide gross of around 500 (give or take). The first Thor wasn't a huge huge hit (449 million) but thanks to the Avengers and the fact that Thor and Loki are becoming very popular it should give the movie a boost. But it won't beat IM3 and MAYBE it could beat MOS but that's a big maybe.
Inflation and market growth *alone* would lead to a bigger increase than that.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #173
Namor!
The Submariner!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Domestic: 350 million
WW: 850 million

Namor! is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #174
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo
 
chiefchirpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,236
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
IM3 might beat MoS
Still living in the 80's are you?

chiefchirpa is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #175
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Early box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
That IM3 "might" beat MoS seems like a pretty huge understatement of it's chances.
I'm a marvel fan but Superman still has star power. and fanboy power. However with IM3's current BO numbers it's looking harder and harder to beat.

ctsketch is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.