The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man Sequels

Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #51
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Re: The villain(s) of IM4 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Gray Gargoyle main foe with say Whirlwind as secondary?

Not sure on story but there must be some sort of decent comic book material out there to use as character development.
Isn't Gray Gargoyle just kinda of a thug, I mean I know he was pretenses of being cultured, but he doesn't to do much with his powers besides petty thievery. Not really Big Bad material.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #52
Silvermoth
Avenger

Yeah he is. Go for Madame Masque, that's what I say. Ghost would be a cool backup baddy though. Or the Living Laser. I wanted LL for a possible Masters of Evil or equivalent but with Pietro strongly hinted on their team it wouldn't make much sense.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #53
The Villain
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Isn't Gray Gargoyle just kinda of a thug, I mean I know he was pretenses of being cultured, but he doesn't to do much with his powers besides petty thievery. Not really Big Bad material.
He seems to be more of a thug that based on his comic book appearances.

I say secondary character would probably be more suited to GG, Whirlwind etc.

What did you think of the firey thugs in Iron man 3? very different from first two movies indeed.

The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #54
StarLord
Blood Eagle

Perhaps the Blood Brothers?

This could be Tony's first alien nemesis and not one that is home grown or just another guy looking to kill or one-up him.

I don't know much about them but after looking at Wiki, I saw that they were sent to guard Thanos' first base on Earth when they were created.

Henchmen type but very unique and also a tie in with Avengers...

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #55
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
couldn't the same have been said of Whiplash? Grey Gargoyle was a scientist prior to becoming a freak.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #56
Silverseven
Newbie First Class

It's possible the real mandarim be reintroduce in the fourth movie ?

Silverseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #57
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

^Too soon, IMO. It'd be seen as a quick correction of an obvious mistake. Better to do it smart and wait a movie before doing that and then take the weakness that is the BS Mandarin in IM3 and turn it into a strength with the real deal in IM5 or IM6. Otherwise you get no benefit at all from IM3 and why not capitalize on it since they're saddled with it in continuity anyway now. In other words......always be moving forward, not back.

kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #58
Hammer!
Side-Kick

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mandarin or Justin Hammer come back, but if they do the latter than I want the role re-casted. Sam Rockwell was hilarious in the role, but I didn't buy him as a leading weapons manufacturer for a second.

If the Cap franchise continues to deal with HYDRA, I wouldn't mind AIM being a consistent threat. Killian as Mandarin could continue to play a role and you might be able to squeeze in Ghost, Taskmaster, or Madame Masque as spies infiltrating Stark Ind.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #59
kedrell

I don't ever want to see Killian back again unless it's to have the real Mandarin roast his nuts for impersonating him.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #60
Hammer!
Side-Kick

I thought Guy Pierce did great. I still think Marvel can come up with a "true" Mandarin in subsequent sequels with a little creative writing, but I wouldn't mind seeing Pierce as Mandarin in future movies at all.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #61
kedrell

I like Pierce in the right role. I have no animus against the guy. He was spot on casting in LA Confidential, for example. But he's not an actor with lots of range. A main villain of a superhero film needs that aspect to be memorable, a certain unique quality to them. He doesn't have it. He comes off as just bland. Kingsley, on the other hand absolutely exudes that quality and that's why it felt like a trade down when it turned out Pierce was the real main bad guy. A twist is only good for a first viewing, then the quality of the performance and writing needs to be strong to keep the watchability up. I like the twist in IM3 in an abstract sort of way but that's no help to me now. IMO, all the other villains in this series have had way more personality and character than Pierce's Killian has. They were memorable.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #62
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
couldn't the same have been said of Whiplash? Grey Gargoyle was a scientist prior to becoming a freak.
In the comics he was scientist before becoming a super villain, that doesn't change the fact that after he gained power all he did was engage in petty thievery, not really much of a Big bad style villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverseven View Post
It's possible the real mandarim be reintroduce in the fourth movie ?
If Shane Black didn't like Mandarin enough to put in the third film, why would he put him in a fourth film? Let's face, because of Mandarin's origins as a yellow peril villain, Marvel has been struggling to do things with him in other media. He was a white guy turned green in the 94 cartoon, a sympathetic teen bookworm in Armored Adventures and Sauron from Lord of the Rings in the 2007 Iron man DTV. Plus Mandarin is a very inconsistently written character in the comics. I will admit that Killian was kinda dull and a bit disappointing, but it be really hard to sell comic book Mandarin to a general audience in 2013, Marvel has been struggling with this character for a while.

Last edited by The Overlord; 07-03-2013 at 12:16 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #63
kedrell

Yet the Shadow movie in the 90's pretty much pulled it off with their villain in that movie and it offended like 0% of the movie going audience. I don't get where all this trepidation is coming from on Marvel's part. The Mandarin even in their own comics left all that yellow peril nonsense behind in the 60's. Do they somehow think that showing an Asian/Chinese character AS actually that kind of character culturally is somehow offensive? I'd be more apt to find that attitude offensive, frankly. Cultural differences exist. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that fact.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #64
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Yet the Shadow movie in the 90's pretty much pulled it off with their villain in that movie and it offended like 0% of the movie going audience. I don't get where all this trepidation is coming from on Marvel's part. The Mandarin even in their own comics left all that yellow peril nonsense behind in the 60's. Do they somehow think that showing an Asian/Chinese character AS actually that kind of character culturally is somehow offensive? I'd be more apt to find that attitude offensive, frankly. Cultural differences exist. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that fact.
I'd be interested to see how much of The Shadow was co-produced or co-financed by China, or marketed to Chinese audiences. It did make $16M overseas, but there is no information on the country breakdown.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #65
Hammer!
Side-Kick

If RDJ is indeed out for this, Marvel would be wise to use a villain like Hammer, Mandarin, or Stane's son out for revenge to help get the point across that someone new is Stark (and probably Pepper), but we're just rolling with it and everything that happened in the IM trilogy and Avengers trilogy is still cannon.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
Spider-Cross
Side-Kick

Don't forget The Mandarin Trevor and Fin Fang FOom

Spider-Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #67
Spider-Cross
Side-Kick

Post Villains Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios MUST USE for Iron Man 4

With Iron Man 4 on the horizon of being confirmed for phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it's only a matter of time until he announces the storyline and villain for the film so we gotta make sure uses one of each that is awesome enough for everyone to be thrilled by and the villains and the storyline that he must use are right here in this thread

After seeing Iron Man battle two armored villains Iron Monger in Iron Man 1, Whiplash in Iron Man 2, and extremis powered villains Aldrich Killian, Savin and much more of AIM's soldiers, there is one more specific kind of villains that we want Kevin Feige to PROPERLY use for the 4th film if it does happen before Avengers 3 and they must be villains that are awesome and must be done PROPERLY from the comics and are not to violate them like they did in Iron Man 3.

Now for the storyline that Kevin Feige must use for the 4th film, it is to be based on the Dragon Seed story arc of the Iron Man comics

What's really interesting about this story arc in the comics is it features Fin Fang Foom leading his Makulan dragons into invading Earth and more interesting is that both Iron Man and his arch enemy the Mandarin are forced to team up in attempts of defeating the dragon and his legion. As unsure as it seems, it's going to have to happen with or without Ben Kingsley returning to reprising his role as the Mandarin under the regards of the twist on his character in Iron Man 3.

Now for the film, this is the villain that Kevin Feige is to use as Iron Man 4's main antagonist

FIN FANG FOOM

Yeah that's right. Fin Fang Foom is one of the most popular villain in Iron Man's comics because he is alien dragon who is responsible for creating the rings that Mandarin uses and especially for his epic role in the Dragon Seed storyline in the comics as well. Some of you think he won't appear just because of the sea lion like monsters that transport the chituri in the Avengers and because of the dragon statues and Killian's firebreath, but THEY DO NOT COUNT! As the main villain of the movie, Fin Fang Foom should be used as the next challenging villain for Iron Man to face off against and this time, Tony is to defeat him, not Pepper cause she has killed enough bad guys and she wouldn't stand a chance against a giant dragon. Fin Fang Foom will be themost exciting villain for Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios to use in Iron Man 4 if the movie happens.

Now for the other villains we expect for Iron Man 4

The Mandarin(Trevor Slattery) is one of them we need Feige to include, even if it means redoing the character, it's better than ripping us off with an extremis powered Killian because how else is Marvel Studios to continue the franchise?

Incase any of you are wondering why Kevin Feige should still bring Ben Kingsley back for Iron Man 4 as the Mandarin in despite the twist in Iron Man 3 and despite hum and Shane Black wrongfully considering Aldrich Killian the MCU's version of the Mandarin other than lacking magic power rings, here are specific reasons why he should still invite Ben Kingsley back as the character:

*Trevor Slattery is still alive and because he was arrested and set up for a crime he didn't commit, it should definately give him the motive on becoming the villain we truly deserve in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

*Ben Kingsley still counts as the official Mandarin of the MCU because his character wore the proper materials the Mandarin wears in the comics and has been advertised throughout many toys, books and merchandises of the third Iron Man movie

*Because he was an actor that went bankrupt over his addiction to drugs and alcohol, the cosmic rings suit him more efficiently as he will attempt to use them to help him regain his wealth and fame

*With the ring of influence, he would use its power to brainwash many civilians into forgetting about the events in Iron Man 3 and to respect him as a celebrity

*Because Trevor and the Ten Rings were used by Aldrich for his dirty schemes, they are both to join forces against AIM in a war

*Trevor deserves a right to know why Tony came desperately into his house threatening him with a gun and why Aldrich had him set up from the start

*With Trevor created by Aldrich as the AIM founder's idolized version of the Mandarin, Ben Kingsley's character would go through an evolution when he aquires the rings and when he does, he will be expressed in a "Frankenstein's Monster" like way

*The cosmic rings would serve as Iron Man 4's primary source of materials just as Extremis in Iron Man 3, Arc Reactor in Iron Man 2 and the armors and weapons in Iron Man 1 have.

*Kevin Feige would bring Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin back for Iron Man 4 not just so his character finally uses the magic rings on what the blasts they emit look like but to MAINLY EXPRESS how someone's lust for riches, glory and ambitions can lead to bigger consequenses, especially when about be tricked in a deal with Fin Fang Foom

Now for how Trevor will be able to escape, it will be done simply by the work of a mercenary and there is one Iron Man villain capable enough to break him out of prison

The Ghost (played by Michael Shannon)

Ghost is a professional mercenary who posesses leathal weapons, martial arts skills, and stealth technology. As ruthless as he is, Michael Shannon (who played General Zod from Man of Steel) is just the kind of actor to fit the character in the films. Now for the clients

Raza (Leader of the Ten Rings)

The leader of the Ten Rings. Raza will return and hires Ghost to free Trevor Slattery from prison who in return joins forces with the terrorist as the Mandarin. Raza and the new Mandarin team up to lead the ten rings against AIM to make them pay for their boss Aldrich Killian for using them for his own dirty schemes

Surely some of you may be demanding villains like MODOK, Living Laser or other villains who haven't been seen yet but like Shane Black said on the day where he kindly explained how some characters are difficult to adapt in the films, well MODOK and Living Laser are two villains that films definately won't use at all.

So if you want Kevin Feige to use what's in this article for Iron Man 4 then... Get in touch with him ASAP and have him look at it, tell him to bring Ben Kingsley back as the new Mandarin, make sure he uses REAL MAGIC POWER RINGS and tell him to use the Dragon Seed storyline for Iron Man 4 too! We deserve better from the comics then for Marvel Studios to rip us off with garbage and we also want Fin Fang Foom too so lets hurry and convince Feige RIGHT AWAY.

Oh and if Shane Black is willing direct the fourth film, he'll be sure to read the comics this time before he gets started on directing it so we gotta tell Black to use the Dragon Seed Story line for Iron Man 4, there he can get Ben Kingsley to return as the new and more proper Mandarin form the comics that uses magic rings and this time he will lead the Ten Rings against AIM for Aldrich Killian's betrayal which would also feature modern warfare and he may have to add a little more crazy in order to make it happen so lets tell him RIGHT AWAY while we still got time!

Spider-Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #68
Lord
All Mighty

So, you want a comic relief character to turn into Iron Man's main villain just because he looks the most like the Mandarin from the comics?

I'm sorry but for better or for worse Killian is the MCU's version of the Mandarin, what's done is done, we didn't even watch the guy die, he was pushed into a corner and Tony later exploded with the whole place.

Just droping Killina like that would be a mistake, i say use him again and bring another different villain to the mix.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #69
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I would prefer the Mandarin not appear in any future Iron Man films unless it is Killian. Having said that, I would also not mind Rockwell returning: the problem with Hammer in IM2 was the writing. He was written as a villain from the Adam West Batman television program. If given a writer who could successfully capture the evil side of the character, he could become one of the best villains translated to screen (albeit for the second time.)

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #70
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I would prefer the Mandarin not appear in any future Iron Man films unless it is Killian. Having said that, I would also not mind Rockwell returning: the problem with Hammer in IM2 was the writing. He was written as a villain from the Adam West Batman television program. If given a writer who could successfully capture the evil side of the character, he could become one of the best villains translated to screen (albeit for the second time.)
I agree about the two, and i hope to see both again too, the way they were taken was underwhelming and screamed "I'll be back".

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #71
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

They could retcon the mandarin in Iron Man 3

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #72
Ant-manic
Banned User

i want

Terrence Stamp as Justin Hammer senior (maybe as the patron for Ezekiel Stane - actor Patrick J Adams maybe)

Matt Frewer or Doug Jones as Ghost

and somebody who can do charming @**hole as Spymaster

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #73
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCloud View Post
Madam Masque, Titanium Man, or Ghost.
All three sound nice Titanium Man would give us a decent physical threat but the others definitely have possibility. As long as Marvel doesn't have them in name only and throw the actual character out the window.

Steamteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #74
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
So, you want a comic relief character to turn into Iron Man's main villain just because he looks the most like the Mandarin from the comics?

I'm sorry but for better or for worse Killian is the MCU's version of the Mandarin, what's done is done, we didn't even watch the guy die, he was pushed into a corner and Tony later exploded with the whole place.

Just droping Killina like that would be a mistake, i say use him again and bring another different villain to the mix.

killian ( and Shane Black whom I really used to like) is frankly an instant no watch for me. He looked dead to me and should stay dead. Its worse much worse. The Mandarin is a done deal. The chance is lost and Kingsley as super Osama was interesting but although he would have been better still doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Steamteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #75
Chris B
Side-Kick

Even as someone who wasn't a fan of IM3's take on the Mandarin, I do think that Killian being the real deal could be made to work going forward.

Do something where after his defeat, he's started to become the facade he tried to create earlier. He's sporting the flowing robes and the rings and has retreated to somewhere in China. He's also found a way to further develop his Extremis powers, which could be a way to work in some of the other powers that the rings in the comics have exhibited like cold and electricity manipulation.

Basically he's become the cultural thief that Black and Feige claimed Kingsley was going to be.