Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #351
mclay18
Side-Kick

Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I'd concur with summer 2016. If this isn't the team that can deliver, get another team. Universal doesn't have a plethora of franchises right now and they need this to hit big. With SW 7, Avatar 2, Avengers 2 in 2015, look out. Although maybe one of those projects moves back.
If Universal pushes it back a year, June is a clear field. They're not stupid enough to place it in late May or mid-July.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #352
Drizzle
Yo Soy Groot.

If it means a better film, then I'm all for the delay.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #353
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Well I guess it's official, Universal issued a statement saying JP4 is pushed back indefinitely, makes me wonder what about the script they didn't like.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #354
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
That's sort of been the flaw to the JP franchise. No film other than the 1st has been able to really define themselves.

If you look at other seminal movies and their sequels like Star Wars or Indiana Jones each of their sequels were able to define themselves outside of just being a sequel to the first movie.

That's why i think we should have just accepted a while ago that JP as a movie franchise was a failure, maybe not literally in the financial sense but compared to the impact the 1st film had.

That's quite true. With the Indiana Jones films, while the main character and general premise is the same in all four films (Indy going after some magical artifact and trying to retrieve it before the badguys), the fact that the artifact, and often the villains, change from movie to movie helps keep things fresh.

As for Star Wars? That's a different ball of wax all together. It was originally intended to be a single movie. But George Lucas had written so much for the script he couldn't possibly fit it all into a single 2 hour movie. So Act I became A New Hope, with the ending of Act III tacked on to give the film some closure. Then Act II became Empire Strikes Back, with the wumpa scene added in to explain Mark Hammil's facial scars. Then came Act III as Return Of The Jedi, with the final battle on Krshyyyk with the Rebel Alliance teaming with the wookiees being changed to the final battle being on Endore with the Rebel Alliance teaming up with Ewoks. Essentially, Star Wars was produced as a trilogy for the same reason The Lord Of The Rings was originally published as a trilogy. The story was just too damn epic to try and do it all in one shot.

Jurassic Park is kinda like Jaws in a way. The first movie was all sorts of awesome, but doesn't really set itself up for any sequels. The second was a good effort, but didn't quite hold up to the first. Everything after that seemed a desperate attempt to milk a cash cow that's long since dead. Especially Jaws 4, with the shark not only targetting the mother, but somehow knowing exactly where she will be and actually beating her there.

Still, I kinda want to see where they take the story with the fourth Jurassic Park. I kinda like the idea of the park being up and running. It would kind of up the ante a bit, like in Jason Lives when they had kids at the camp. Or in Jaws 3D, when the giant shark attacks a water park. So when things go bad, not only do the heroes (Tim & Lex?) have to save their own lives, they also have to try and rescue as many innocent civilians as they can.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #355
Octoberist
point blank

According to the Hollywood Reporter, this delay is a good thing. And a rare thing when the studio is actually delaying the film due to the director's request.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #356
Octoberist
point blank

The Hollywood Reporter article:

Quote:
The sequel was to have started production June 24.

Jurassic Park 4 is hitting the pause button.

The dinosaur sequel, being directed by Colin Trevorrow, was due to begin production June 24 for a release date of June 13, 2014.

But on Wednesday the studio put the brakes on the project, deciding it needed more time for development.

“In coordination with filmmakers, Universal has decided to release Jurassic Park 4 at a later date giving the studio and filmmakers adequate time to bring audiences the best possible version of the fourth installment in Universal’s beloved franchise,” said the studio in a statement.

STORY: Got $35,000? You Can Watch 'Jurassic Park 3D' at Home This Weekend

The studio is bereft of tentpole movies for next summer, and trying to push its franchises to their limits in order to fill its slate.

It set a Fast & Furious 7 for a July 11, 2014 date but franchise director Justin Lin bowed out due to the time constraints. James Wan will now try to take the wheel.

With Jurassic Park 4, Trevorrow, producer Frank Marshall and a crew have been working towards a June 24 start. Trevorrow is living in Hawaii and had been there for quite some time, working with his Safety Not Guaranteed writer Derek Connolly on a new script.

But the studio only received their draft two days ago, according to several sources.

The move put in motion the studio development process and a new round of budgeting.

It became clear that the start date and the release date would not be met under the new scenario and rather than risk the situation, Universal decided to postpone its much-needed franchise player.

The production delay has been coming to ahead since the new script arrived, with Ain’t It Cool News reporting of several tweets, now deleted, commenting on a possible shutdown.

“Hollywood makes and crushes dreams. Goodbye JP4,” tweeted Todd Smoyer, who is credited as a digital asset manager for the movie.
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-...al-puts-519479

In other words, according to Collin Trev's contract, he gets to rewrite the script with his writing partner. When they turned it in, it was far more ambitious than Universal had imagined. So Uni is putting the breaks to give more production time, adjust the budget and get a new art team in.

Last edited by Octoberist; 05-08-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #357
venom892
Got Lucky

If it's getting delayed for the right reasons, I'm all for it. I just want a good Jurassic Park film. I hold the original in very high regard.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #358
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I guess I can get why they wanted to fast track due to not having anything in the pipeline for next summer. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #359
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
If it's getting delayed for the right reasons, I'm all for it. I just want a good Jurassic Park film. I hold the original in very high regard.
Agreed!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #360
jacobed
Banned User

sounds like its a great move by Universal. If they didn't like the script turned in they may have just fired Colin and went with the script they had so I'm going to assume that they like what he wrote but there's just not enough time to get it out. Awesome move Universal, also that tweet by Todd Smoyer is a little over dramatic, I'd fire him for stupidity if I were on the staff.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #361
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I thought about it and decided that I agree it's much better to give this more thought than just give us a rushed product, that never turns out right.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #362
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Apparently script wasn't bad, just not feasible in the production time they had already established.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/05/08/j...ed...-for-now/

Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #363
Boom
I got nothin'

It's whatever. Give the director the time he needs.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #364
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Is this expected to be a serious film like the 1st 2 or a comedy like the 3rd?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #365
mclay18
Side-Kick

I'm actually surprised Universal is delaying due to the director's request... they must really like Trevorrow's rewrites. Or Spielberg did and said "Look, I like his revisions and you have to give him time to make this film properly."

I'm actually optimistic for this. But what this means is that Universal will have to put another film in the pipeline for summer 2014, or delay a film like RIPD or something else to fill that void.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #366
chaseter
Bland User

What they should do now is make a really short teaser and release it this summer. It could be something really simple as water ripples and then the logo.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #367
Trimmings
Side-Kick

I'm sad I can't see a new Jurassic Park next year, but it's probably for the better. We'll probably get a much better movie because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
What they should do now is make a really short teaser and release it this summer. It could be something really simple as water ripples and then the logo.
I think that would be a great idea. Maybe show a close of up water and the iconic ripple but then zoom out to show that it's a huge pool or a large part of the ocean around an island that's vibrating. That'd connect it to the previous movies, but show how they want this one to be more "epic".

Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #368
terry78

That's how they did teasers back in the day. Nowadays a teaser consists of actual footage.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #369
jacobed
Banned User

I remember the first teaser to The Lost World was scary as ****, because it was just a storm and a ripple and then all of a sudden with a lightning strike there was a T Rex. And the first teaser I saw to Batman Begins, it was just people talking maybe Alfred I don't remember and it was just footage of young Bruce and then at the very end they had a very shadowy shot of Batman. That's how you do teasers, they have stuck out in my mind

Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #370
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

it's sad, the only oldest teaser trailer i honestly remember was for Spider-Man 1 and the World Trade Center...

that was only 12 years ago... and I don't remember a single teaser from the later 80s or 90s

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #371
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

The Avengers had a teaser that just was Sam Jackson talking and the logo, or was that not a official teaser?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #372
terry78

They never showed that one in theatres did they?

Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #373
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Colin Trevorrow ‏@colintrevorrow 23m
@lampherz Don't go in circles. We have all the pieces, we just need more time to put it together. No half measures, no compromises.
Don't live in doom, JP fans. Let the filmmakers do their jobs.

http://www.vimeo.com/13170472
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #374
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

bump.

Den of Geek reporting that Universal has pushed the movie back to 2015 at the earliest. Now we just need another Back to the Future movie and it shall the greatest year of all time

Quote:
This one's probably not a surprise, but we're hearing from a solid source that Jurassic Park 4 has now been formally put back to 2015. The film was originally scheduled for release next summer, but then reports surfaced of a delay to the movie, that was subsequently confirmed by Universal Pictures.

Well, no date was given at the time of the Universal statement (which was released at the start of May), but we're now hearing that the movie, which is being directed by Colin Trevorrow, will be a 2015 release. More than likely a summer 2015 release.

Furthermore, it appears that the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park in the UK, which is scheduled for the end of August, will be limited to IMAX screens only. This is reportedly because the re-release did the vast majority of its business in the US on IMAX screens earlier this year.

There's been no formal announcement on either of these, but when we get it, we'll let you know.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/jura...e-release-news

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #375
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Good. I want a quality JP4.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Closed Thread