The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: How much will The Wolverine make world wide?
$100M 3 3.66%
$200M 5 6.10%
$300M 13 15.85%
$400M 38 46.34%
$500M 14 17.07%
$600M 6 7.32%
$700M 2 2.44%
$800M 0 0%
$900M 0 0%
$1 Billion 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #26
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Thumbs up Re: The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

A very positive prediction from Deadline.com Though I think $190 million will be quite a reach for the 2nd Wolverine movie.

Quote:
Fox is “in OK shape,” Creutz says. He believes toon Epic could see $100M domestically but miss the top 12 due to competition from Iron Man 3 and Star Trek 2. Laugher The Internship ($70M) has a shot, but the analyst says only one adult comedy is likely to be in the top dozen. The Heat ($70M) is one of the others, and has “a bit less star power.” And The Wolverine ($190M) is “likely to make the winner’s circle” if there isn’t “serious audience fatigue around action films” in late July.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/summ...e-movies-bomb/

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #27
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

It has poential to reach what Origins did domesticly especilly with 3-d.

I broke down and saw Iron Man 3 and even after that I still don't think It's as good as ome others do but with 3-d It's likely to hit 700 Million Worldwide.Man of steel will be a batman begins style hit although with 3-d that could get up to 250 Million domesticly.

The Wolverine Is going to do well overseas.

Thor Is the question mark.The question Is which one will do better domesticly Thor or the wolverine.Remember Iron Man 1 and 2 did over 300 Million domesticly without 3-d
so It has better chances to go high.Remember Robert DOwney JR Isn't In thor and without him MS films tend to do X-Men business.Still possable that 3-d pushed Thor to 190-200 Million range Domesticly.Don't forget catching fire opens In November and while
Chris Hemsworth Is more known now he still Isn't as big a star as Hugh Jackman.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I definitely think Thor will outgross The Wolverine at the domestic box-office. But we'll see, we haven't seen a Thor movie perform in a November release date.

But its a good thing that studios like FOX prefer overseas numbers than domestic. Even if The Wolverine doesn't outgross First Class' domestic box-office numbers, but if it managed to hit $400million mark worldwide, its a win for them.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I broke down and saw Iron Man 3 and even after that I still don't think It's as good as ome others do but with 3-d It's likely to hit 700 Million Worldwide.Man of steel will be a batman begins style hit although with 3-d that could get up to 250 Million domesticly.
IM3 has already passed $680m WW, well on it's way passing $1bn.

Quote:
Thor Is the question mark.The question Is which one will do better domesticly Thor or the wolverine.Remember Iron Man 1 and 2 did over 300 Million domesticly without 3-d
so It has better chances to go high.Remember Robert DOwney JR Isn't In thor and without him MS films tend to do X-Men business.
Still possable that 3-d pushed Thor to 190-200 Million range Domesticly.Don't forget catching fire opens In November and while Chris Hemsworth Is more known now he still Isn't as big a star as Hugh Jackman.
In light of IM3 numbers I'd say $300m US is a very real possibility for Thor, & $700m WW. Possibly higher, so we'll see as it gets closer.

I think MoS will hit $300m US / $300m+ OS.

Maybe I'm being a little optimistic for TW because I like the character & Jackman so much, & 'cause Mangold has a good track record but I'll say $200m/$200m for it. Though that's probably the ceiling. Still if the quality is good and it gets close to those numbers it'll keep the goodwill momentum going that XFC started, and roll it into DOFP.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Your still making a lot of assurances.Iron Man 3's box office tells us all that
the general audence viewed The Avengers as Iron Man and his amazing friends.
It was always the one film before the avengers sequel that was going to be big.

Thor doesn't have Robert Downey JR.It's overopstimetic to think every marvel film will do Avengers business.That's way It's going to be Intresting to see if disney pays him the fortune to do The Avengers sequel.

Your being way too overconfident for Man of steel.Batman begins and The
Amazing Spider-Man didn't get that much for their reboots.Granted batman
didn't have 3-d to help.In past Batman and Spider-man have been more popular than Superman.Some are expecting a dark knight response when It will probally be more batman begins response.

My feeling especilly so far with the wolverine's poor marketing the best I can see The Wolverine Is aroun 180 million domesticly.Overseas it is different story.First Class made 206 million overseas and I think The Wolverine can defently beta that due to having hugh Jackman as star.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
I broke down and saw Iron Man 3 and even after that I still don't think It's as good as ome others do but with 3-d It's likely to hit 700 Million Worldwide.
Yes. Tomorrow.

Quote:
Thor Is the question mark.The question Is which one will do better domesticly Thor or the wolverine.
Unfortunately, Wolverine has more obstacles to overcome than Thor, so, unless The Wolverine has some surprises in store, I think the answer to that question is The Dark World. Personally, I would just settle for The Wolverine being the better movie, regardless of box office.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
def28
Side-Kick

I think Wolverine is gonna do better then most think. At least WW.

Thor's gonna make a ****load of money.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Thor is definitely gonna earn more money than than Thor 1 since its now more well-known worldwide.

But the question is will it finally perform like an Iron Movie at domestic box-office?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #34
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Your still making a lot of assurances.Iron Man 3's box office tells us all that
the general audence viewed The Avengers as Iron Man and his amazing friends.
No, what IM3's BO tells us is The Avengers exposed Iron Man to far more people then the first two IM films, and in a very positive way to boot. Just like it exposed Thor & Cap to far more people than their respective debuts.

IM3 is on track to nearly double IM2's total $623m, if you think Thor can't make a comparatively measly jump from $450m to $700m... Infact I'll say $700m is probably the low end of it's potential.

Quote:
It was always the one film before the avengers sequel that was going to be big.
After the "not as good as the first" reaction to IM2 another IM film would see very little growth, if any. The "Avengers bump" is a very real thing.

Quote:
Thor doesn't have Robert Downey JR.It's overopstimetic to think every marvel film will do Avengers business.
But I didn't say ThorTDW or Winter Soldier would do $1.5bn...?

Quote:
Your being way too overconfident for Man of steel.Batman begins and The
Amazing Spider-Man didn't get that much for their reboots.
I'm just taking Superman Returns and adding 7 years of inflation + 3D + a little Nolan interest. I don't think it's outlandish, as long as the film is actually good.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Domestically I'll give it to TDW over Wolvie. Probably by around 20 to 30 million. Worldwide, TDW will pull away and end up finishing 250 -300 m over TW. The Avengers boost is real. The interesting comparison will be TDW vs DoFP. I think both hit the 700 million mark.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-06-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
Mr. Dent
Banned User

$400m WW. $200m DOM/$200m OS

Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #37
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I would be delighted if The Wolverine hit the $200 million mark at domestic box-office. But I'm not sure it will happen. But I'm pretty sure it will get more than $200 million overseas. First Class got $207 million overseas without 3D. Wolverine is more well-known worldwide compare to the other X-Men and with the help of 3D, I think it would get more.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I'm giving it $200m domestic because of 3D boost.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #39
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

One thing that may help Thor Is seeing Loki's fate Is a sequel element to the Avengers.
But don't forget The HUngar games second Installment hits In november.

Captain America Is going to be Intresting.Can a super hero version of a political thriller hit
with audnece.That's the One MS film that I am excited about till I hear what Joss Whedon
has planned for avengers sequel.It's always going to be Intresting to see If ASM2 can go higher.My thought was the weak perforamce compared to other films was due to some not wanting a reboot of spider-Man.Even the much derided Spider-Man 3 did better.Hell It had best foreign box office out of spider-man series.

If the Wolverine Is as good as It seems then with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine+3-d It
could push the domestic box office higher than Origins.It's fairly easy to guess the foreign box office will be great for the Wolverine.Origins overseas beat the overseas box office of X2.First Class overseas box office actully beat Captain America's overseas
Box office.Domestic push Captain America's worldwide box office over First Class worldwide box office.And first Class didn't have Hugh Jackman topping the film.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #40
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
One thing that may help Thor Is seeing Loki's fate Is a sequel element to the Avengers. But don't forget The HUngar games second Installment hits In november.

Captain America Is going to be Intresting.Can a super hero version of a political thriller hit with audnece.That's the One MS film that I am excited about till I hear what Joss Whedon has planned for avengers sequel.It's always going to be Intresting to see If ASM2 can go higher.My thought was the weak perforamce compared to other films was due to some not wanting a reboot of spider-Man.Even the much derided Spider-Man 3 did better.Hell It had best foreign box office out of spider-man series.
I think when it comes to the films to MCU. Iron Man will always be the most successful superhero then Thor then Captain America. I don't see it changing with Phase 2. Thor 2 is gonna benefit from the Avengers boost and the success of Iron Man 3 more than Captain America 2 since its gonna be released earlier.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #41
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I have always maintained Iron Man will due best out of solo films.Robert Downey JR as Tony Stark clicked with GA.I just don't think Thor and Captain America will ever do Iron Man
business.If Thor:The dark World gets a boost from Avengers It will likely be because what happens with Loki makes It a sequel element to The Avengers.

If people want Downey back as stark In Avengers sequel they should hope Thor doesn't do Iron Man business.Otherwise MS has little reason to give DOwney the fortine It will
take to get him for avengers sequel.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #42
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

I'm confident TDW will surpass the first two Iron Man films worldwide. Marvel better get ready to pay Hemsworth and co. They aren't the little indie that could anymore, they have The House of Mouse backing them. They have a fortune.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #43
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
I'm confident TDW will surpass the first two Iron Man films worldwide. Marvel better get ready to pay Hemsworth and co. They aren't the little indie that could anymore, they have The House of Mouse backing them. They have a fortune.
Iron Man 2's worldwide gross was $623 million. I think, given by The Avengers/Iron Man 3 boost, its safe to say that Thor will at least get $600 million, and it wouldn't be a hard task for Thor 2 not to earn more than $623 million especially with 3D/price inflation. But I don't see it performing as big as Iron Man 3.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #44
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

No, it won't get IM3 numbers, but it will likely get to 650 m with a good film. I personally put it into the 700- 750 m range at this point in time. Similar to DoFP (pre-trailer).

Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #45
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
No, it won't get IM3 numbers, but it will likely get to 650 m with a good film. I personally put it into the 700- 750 m range at this point in time. Similar to DoFP (pre-trailer).
About DOFP, I'm just gonna be delighted if it outgrosses X3's worldwide box-office numbers. Since I consider DOFP as X4, it is going to be nice to see that for every X-Men film that featured the original cast, the box-office numbers are getting higher and higher.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #46
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

I think DoFP will exceed X3's worldwide take in it's first couple of weeks. The scope is so epic that I don't see how it fails to capture the collective imagination (even in the marketing with a half decent trailer). This should surpass The Avengers in scale. We have the returning star power, a budget likely in the 200 m + range, and the time travel elements. Barring an absolutely horrible film experience this will seriously recharge the X-Men film brand.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-08-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #47
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I think DoFP will exceed X3's worldwide take in it's first couple of weeks. The scope is so epic that I don't see how it fails to capture the collective imagination (even in the marketing with a half decent trailer). This should surpass The Avengers in scale. We have the returning star power, a budget likely in the 200 m + range, and the time travel elements. Barring an absolutely horrible film experience this will seriously recharge the X-Men film brand.
I certainly hope so.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #48
def28
Side-Kick

I'm starting to wonder if any film with a Marvel logo will see a benefit of the Avengers regardless if it's Fox, Sony or Disney. Right now a majority of the audience will probably just make that connection with anyone in the Avengers, but the MCU rolls out so many films and owns so many characters now that I think people will just assume if it has the Marvel logo it's in the same Universe. Anyone outside fandom doesn't know how all those rights breakdown, and even then there are still debates on who owns who.

Unless they start putting up text that says "Not Avengers", I think most will assume or at least question if they are part of the same universe by the Marvel logo. Especially since these characters are advertised together in all other forms of media. Could possibly lead to bigger box office for all studios imo.

Last edited by def28; 05-09-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #49
Angamb
Banned User

I think it will do around 400-450. 500 if the movie has an impressive markering campaign and great word of mouth.

but 400-450 is more likely.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #50
Mr. Dent
Banned User

The marketing "campaign" so far has been horrible. Two months until it comes out and you still barely see or hear anything about it.

Closed Thread