1 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #26
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Episode 22: Darkness on the Edge of Town-Rate & Review Thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I guess you are talking about the choke out?
Yep; unless you're talking about something else since it's been awhile since I've seen episode 6 so I'm not entirely sure what that episode was about again.lol

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #27
Nathan

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #28
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Ah that one. Oh well, no one's perfect.lol

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #29
riotgirl77
TVEA C.D. & Writer

Ollie telling Diggle he got that move from Yao Fei (when they were doing eskrima...sparring with the rods)...I assumed he did get that training from Slade (see ep. 14) but said Yao Fei since there may have been a falling out between him and Slade? LOL..if that makes sense. I mean Slade is Deathstroke ...possibly lol.

I seem to recall reading I think the writers wanted to bring in Slade into the show or whatever around the time they did episode 3. Or something like that...can't remember exactly.

Last edited by riotgirl77; 05-09-2013 at 05:36 AM.
riotgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #30
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
Regarding next week's promo
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Tommy in the Dark Archer uniform (I thought - it was quick) - I actually hold old a miniscule bit of hope that it's a mislead - like the him helping Quentin with an investigation line from last week's promo. Something that technically happens, but isn't what it seems. Besides it being out of character (even if he hates Oliver, he's not going to be okay with all his father's murders), it makes no logical sense for him to don that outfit because he'd get his butt kicked in two seconds.

I don't know, unless he's trying to kill Oliver out of hate and this donning the outfit is just a way to divert blame elsewhere. Still doesn't make sense, given his lack of skill and his knowledge of Oliver's skill, though. I can't think it's an homage to his father, because I can't believe he'd be okay with what his father has done.
Tommy is not a moron, he's not going to
fight Oliver just because there's a shot of him looking at his father's suit. That will problably happen when he starts searching Malcolm's office, either before or after his father dies (if that's the case, maybe he survives and ends up in jail). BTW, in the promo you can see Ollie is going to fight Malcolm, look at the 0.23 mark:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Another great episode, one of the best of the season. And regarding the whole Ollie/Laurel thing, well, that's what he really wanted anyway and went for it instead of holding back. But, Ollie shouldn't have told Tommy to give it another chance, now Tommy is going to have one more reason to hate him.

Mikelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #31
SpilledInnards
Side-Kick

A little over half an hour into the episode, Ollie, Diggle and Felicity are having a conversation.

Diggle's legs are seen and it appears he doesn't do any serious leg training. He's got a nice upper body but not much leg development based on what I could see.

I bet he curls in the squat rack.

Still, I enjoyed the episode.

SpilledInnards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #32
Tzigone
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's a lot of feelings regarding a quick shot you're not sure you actually saw.
Well, it's one of the most important aspects of the show to me (and I didn't enjoy this ep enough to be about it). I like/liked the friendly trio-ness of Oliver, Laurel and Tommy. I loved how, despite natural jealousy, Oliver and Tommy didn't let their romantic feelings destroy their friendship and how wonderfully awkward they were on double dates. Subverted tropes and cliches not followed are good. And I think it would be massively out-of-character if it's legit and Tommy really is siding with his father/his father's ideals

I really enjoyed the Moira/Walter dynamic, but that's understandably over now. I gave a shoutout to the Oliver/Thea relationship that I like, but that one is simple - nothing so much to *discuss* about them.

I'm not into the 'ships, and the Glades aren't going to be destroyed (and while I enjoy the character stuff with Malcolm and Moira, the plot similarity to Batman bugs me).

Quote:
I don't mean that. I meant the fact that Ollie says he got trained by a man named Yao Fei, and it turns out he didn't get taught a single thing by him. It was Slade and Shado that taught him anything on the island.

It's one of my big nitpicks with the show. They obviously planned in the beginning to have Yao Fei teaching Ollie about archery and combat, but then changed it midway, introduced Slade and made him the real Deathstroke, included Fei's daughter, and then killed him off.
I agree so much. And it doesn't help that I liked Yao Fei better than Slade and Shado, either. Slade, in particular, mostly mildly irritates me. Shado has just left no impression.

Tzigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
I really enjoyed the Moira/Walter dynamic, but that's understandably over now. I gave a shoutout to the Oliver/Thea relationship that I like, but that one is simple - nothing so much to *discuss* about them.

I'm not into the 'ships, and the Glades aren't going to be destroyed (and while I enjoy the character stuff with Malcolm and Moira, the plot similarity to Batman bugs me).

I agree so much. And it doesn't help that I liked Yao Fei better than Slade and Shado, either. Slade, in particular, mostly mildly irritates me. Shado has just left no impression.
It seems you don't really like the show, I would never watch a series if I didn't like it, but I digress.

Mikelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #34
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Bold choice to have Yao Fei go out in such away, no last minute goodbyes or anything. I like it.

Wouldn't be surprised if that shot of Tommy finding the outfit is the last scene of the season or one of the very last.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #35
Tzigone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
It seems you don't really like the show, I would never watch a series if I didn't like it, but I digress.
I hate the attitude that if I don't love every aspect of the show, I don't like it. I do like the show. I look forward to it every week. What I do not like, is the island aspect of the show. The ships are take-it-or-leave-it. I really like the Malcolm/Moira dynamic, the Oliver/Thea dynamic, the (earlier) Oliver/Laurel/Tommy dynamics and Oliver/Tommy dynamics and Tommy/Laurel dynamic. I like Tommy/Thea interactions, the Laurel/Quentin interactions, and often, but not always, like the Oliver/Diggle interactions. I liked Oliver being called on craziness and I really, generally, like Oliver dealing with his revelations about his mother. I freely acknowledge that Tommy was/is my favorite character, that I really like Walter (but didn't expect him to last long) and that I liked Thea (I really like the stuff between her and Oliver earlier in the series, then she sort of faded out and came back only with Roy, who doesn't grab me).

I like the show - but I didn't like this episode and am concerned they will go in a direction where I don't like the show. If they do, then I'll quit watching. But they haven't yet.

Last edited by Tzigone; 05-09-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Tzigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Less balanced and inconsistent to the quality of last week's episode, largely because of the portrayal of Laurel as "CW female protagonist #21" in a somewhat forced development in the love triangle that really only made Tommy interesting. Seriously, I think that actor's probably my favorite in the show; he looks to be Michael Rosenbaum's equal as the best friend with issues, but they've so far changed up his story enough that he's got different dynamic than Rosenbaum. Laurel still seems very removed from Black Canary in pretty much everyway except for an attraction to Ollie and some philanthropy, and she remains one of the weaker interpretations on the show, but I'm blaming that on the writing.

It really is amazing just how much the rest of the cast has fallen into organic character dynamics over the course of the season. Seeing Thea get that sad little girl look in her face once she saw her step-dad's face was heartbreaking, while Team Arrow's hijinks emphasize how great it is to have Felicity added to the mix of the otherwise very serious Ollie and Diggs. These two are clearly the closest Ollie gets to an honest and comraderie filled relationship, and it works.

Malcolm really feels like a perfectly translated super villain, with some of his more cliched characteristics overpowered by Barrowman's charisma and skills. That bit at the end with him being dismayed at realizing who the Hood was really helps the dynamic of the relationship.

And I'm fairly certain the confusion of who's in the cowl of the Dark Archer stems from the excellent casting of the Merlyns, who are both skilled actors who do have some resemblance to each other. Tommy's subplot has a lot of potential next week. He left Ollie an opening for Laurel but still pretty clearly feels betrayed at the progress of their relationship. He's also the only other person who both knows that Ollie is the Hood and that his dad is perfectly capable of kicking ass himself. Tommy might uncover his Dad's armory through sheer deductive common sense, and his alignment is still the big question mark for next week. Is he Lex 2.0? Or is he the subversion to the expected storyline?

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #37
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

The best episode ever. This show just goes from strength to strength.

And I always assumed Felicity had a nice butt, now I'm certain of it.

... Batman !!!

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 05-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #38
tbetts14
Side-Kick

noticing a plothole, didnt malcolm try to have ollie killed when Ollie intentionally
got himself caught to deflect attention from him being the hood.

why was Malcolm all of a sudden concerned.,wen he un convered oilvers face.

tbetts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #39
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Loved the plan to infiltrate Merlyn Global. It really reminded me of the Person of Interest episode "All In" (mostly in both teams having this really fun, elaborate plan involving them playing rolls, hand offs, and all that fun stuff). Funny seeing as a line also reminded me of POI, "hacked is such an ugly word."

Loved the Judge Grell bit.

And I'm now starting to really pay attention to the locations they're filming at and this episode had me grinning from it. I pass the Unidac building on the way to school and my mom and grandmother used to work at the Merlyn Global building. I'll have to look into what they were getting themselves into.

The episode was really fun and my favourite so far. This show has been on such a great streak lately.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #40
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbetts14 View Post
noticing a plothole, didnt malcolm try to have ollie killed when Ollie intentionally
got himself caught to deflect attention from him being the hood.

why was Malcolm all of a sudden concerned.,wen he un convered oilvers face.
You have to think worse case scenario in Malcolm's mind. He might think this means that Moira's turned on him or has been against him from the very beginning, which means his plan is compromised and he is vulnerable to a powerful ally turned enemy who he knows will do anything to protect her children. And he doesn't know where Tommy is.

Just an idea, but there's obviously some complications from capturing a skilled but well connected and dangerous prisoner right as your years long plan is coming to fruition.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #41
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Laurel shut ya curtains! I wasn't a fan of the stuff with her and Ollie or his sudden reasoning that it was cool to be with her, or Poppa Lance suddenly and conveniently softening his views, or poor Tommy just happening to be there the moment they were getting it on.

What I did like was the ruse pulled by Ollie and Digg on Moira and what I loved was the sequence where they broke into Merlyn's building, some fun scenes between Ollie and Felicity as well as the great "My knight in shining armor" scene between her and Digg.

The island stuff was pretty brief and just setting up for some action in the finale I think, shame to see Yao Fei killed in such a casual manner. Interested to know who the female boss with the great pins is, I'm guessing next seasons main threat.

Ollie is going to have to up his game as this is twice in a row the Dark Archer has handed him his ass, I'm expecting an epic fight in the finale.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #42
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well in a sense it wouldn't be entirely inaccurate regarding that line since Oliver first saw that technique applied (albeit on himself) by Yao fei so it was in a way Yao Fei who introduced him to that technique. It's reasonable to assume that maybe while he was training with Shado at some point down the line, he brought it up and Shado taught him on how to execute it.
Well if he learned his fighting more so from Shado then chances are she learned it from her father, so technically Ollie wasn't lying.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Yeah this ep was baddass. I read some where that it was hinted that malcolm was trained by Ra's Al Ghul..?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #44
tbetts14
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
Yeah this ep was baddass. I read some where that it was hinted that malcolm was trained by Ra's Al Ghul..?
yeah its pretty obvious it seems Ollie cant beat him straight up

tbetts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #45
godisawesome
Side-Kick

The whole "Yao Fei's trained me" thing can be easily resolved by showing Slade and Shado go darker that he did and Ollie refusing to acknowledge them as much as his sink or swim savior.

And Malcolm said he's been to Nanda Parbat in a similar vein to Bruce's time with the LOS. It might be the Sensei or someone like that.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!

I won't buy Tommy going evil, so I'd rather he dies and Malcolm lives. But we all know that they'll follow the archetype and have Tommy fill his father's shoes.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #47
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Great episode, can't be bothered to do a full analysis but what an episode.

One thing bothered me, Tommy just happened to be walking by Laurels apartment when Ollie and Laurel were in shall we say an embrace, how convenient still that aside wow!

Oliver's showdown with Malcolm was awesome, when Malcolm discovered it was Ollie and said "oh no" I wonder why?

9/10

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #48
Nathan

That's what bothered you? The whole embrace thing is what bothered me. First he goes to Tommy to tell him to get back with Laurel, then because he believes he soon doesn't have to be the Hood anymore, he immediately goes to Laurel, because he sees his chance to stick it to her again. The moment he showed up at her apartment, I saw the scene with Tommy coming a mile away.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #49
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
That's what bothered you? The whole embrace thing is what bothered me. First he goes to Tommy to tell him to get back with Laurel, then because he believes he soon doesn't have to be the Hood anymore, he immediately goes to Laurel, because he sees his chance to stick it to her again. The moment he showed up at her apartment, I saw the scene with Tommy coming a mile away.
Well yeah that was hypocritical but I hated the convenience if him walking by at that particular moment. Oh I saw it too but that also bugged me cause it was typical.

To be fair though I'd have stuck it to her

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #50
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

This was a great episode, and the finale looks action packed. I'm already ready for season 2.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote