The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #601
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,377
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Even the fact that the film is a massive hit and people find it funny has been cited as proof that it's really not good. "People laughed at the Bayformers, too!" "__________ also made lots of cash and it sucked!"
Well, what do you say to that? Is Transformers good because it made a lot of money and people liked it? If you're going to use that justification for Iron Man 3, I don't see why other films should be different.

Disclaimer: I think Iron Man 3 is a good movie even though I was disappointed by it.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #602
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,215
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It seems like there's an echo chamber effect here, with the few who dislike the movie posting and re-posting their negative views, reinforcing each other and convincing themselves that the majority shares their hate. Any time the objective facts are brought up, whether it be the film's gross, audience reaction, polling, etc., they find a way to dismiss it or turn it around.


Even the fact that the film is a massive hit and people find it funny has been cited as proof that it's really not good. "People laughed at the Bayformers, too!" "__________ also made lots of cash and it sucked!"
Don't forget all those critics who were paid off to deliver favorable reviews.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #603
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Disclaimer: I think Iron Man 3 is a good movie even though I was disappointed by it.
That's pretty much where I am on it as well.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #604
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,850
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

The problem is that a lot of the haters set up a completely unfalsifiable statement: 'this movie is bad', end of story, while denying any possibility of evidence to the contrary. If you want to claim a movie is *objectively* bad, than you should present some form of evidence for it. . . or more accurately, present what evidence *would* have proven it good.

Instead, critic reviews are discounted as "bought", box office success is discounted as "sheeple", and any individuals holding different opinions are discounted as "blind fanboyism".

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #605
Eddie
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,172
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
I'm aware of that. I just can't believe someone actually pitched having the villain bone the MCU's most popular female and make a sex tape. And then play it in Home Depot. A tacky draft is still tacky whether it's the final product or tossed into the shredder.
Tacky stuff like that is part of early drafts all the time. Heck, the first Iron Man very nearly had a scene where Tony essentially tells three girls to start getting it on before he goes and blows up some terrorists. It even got filmed.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #606
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Tacky stuff like that is part of early drafts all the time. Heck, the first Iron Man very nearly had a scene where Tony essentially tells three girls to start getting it on before he goes and blows up some terrorists. It even got filmed.
There's a difference between three random chicks at the start of the franchise and Pepper Potts in Iron Man 3. Marvel even gave her a cameo in Avengers. But as Tony says, "Whatever."

I will admit, given the somewhat goofy/lighthearted tone of the movie, I wonder how serious Tony and Pepper would have taken the situation.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #607
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,890
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Eh I've seen the movie twice. He's not saying whatever to pepper. Just the suit. Its not a commentary on pepper at all. People read too much into things

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #608
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
There's a difference between three random chicks at the start of the franchise and Pepper Potts in Iron Man 3. Marvel even gave her a cameo in Avengers. But as Tony says, "Whatever."

I will admit, given the somewhat goofy/lighthearted tone of the movie, I wonder how serious Tony and Pepper would have taken the situation.
On that same subject of "teh tacky that got left on the cutting room floor," there was also a scene in IM2 that featured Iron Man and War Machine literally dueling over a lingerie-clad Olivia Munn in her bed.

Screenwriters have always been trying for sexual innuendo (or even outright sex, though implicit instead of explicit) in the Iron Man franchise.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #609
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Eh I've seen the movie twice. He's not saying whatever to pepper. Just the suit. Its not a commentary on pepper at all. People read too much into things
I never said or implied he was saying "whatever" to Pepper. I know he said it because he gave up on his crappy suit. I'm saying it because I really didn't care that much in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
On that same subject of "teh tacky that got left on the cutting room floor," there was also a scene in IM2 that featured Iron Man and War Machine literally dueling over a lingerie-clad Olivia Munn in her bed.

Screenwriters have always been trying for sexual innuendo (or even outright sex, though implicit instead of explicit) in the Iron Man franchise.
Yea. Ok. So there was a tacky draft for IM 2 as well. Great. I get it. Thanks for that.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #610
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
I never said or implied he was saying "whatever" to Pepper. I know he said it because he gave up on his crappy suit. I'm saying it because I really didn't care that much in the first place.



Yea. Ok. So there was a tacky draft for IM 2 as well. Great. I get it. Thanks for that.
You're welcome. A pleasure, sir.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #611
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,215
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

lol what's with the attitude?

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #612
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,285
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
lol what's with the attitude?
We're now supposed to fret and wring our hands over how awful these scenes would have been had they been included in the final cuts of the films. The filmmakers can't get off the hook simply because they recognized that they had some bad ideas and decided not to use them.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #613
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'
 
Spider-Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 12,293
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Well, what do you say to that? Is Transformers good because it made a lot of money and people liked it? If you're going to use that justification for Iron Man 3, I don't see why other films should be different.

Disclaimer: I think Iron Man 3 is a good movie even though I was disappointed by it.
That's how I feel about the movie too. I liked it (4th favorite MCU movie), yet it left this sort of empty feeling in me. IM3 was a good, but very weird feeling film; I hope the other films in Phase II aren't like that

__________________
"Okay...This looks bad."
Spider-Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #614
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
We're now supposed to fret and wring our hands over how awful these scenes would have been had they been included in the final cuts of the films. The filmmakers can't get off the hook simply because they recognized that they had some bad ideas and decided not to use them.
No one has to do anything. Some ideas I didn't like didn't make it into the movie. I'm glad. They are still bad ideas. I'm also glad you seem to like IM3 a lot. Just relax and don't take my (or anyone else's) critique of it so personally. This place is reminding me of the batboards.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #615
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,215
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Great. We get it. Thanks for that.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #616
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Great. We get it. Thanks for that.
You're welcome. A pleasure, sir.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #617
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

WARNING: There will be no future stealing of other poster's lines in this thread, or else Very Bad Things Might Happen. (And I'm talking H.P. Lovecraft stuff. Tentacles coming out of fifty eyeballs, demons unleashed on Abercrombie & Fitch stores everywhere, real end of the world stuff.)

Every schtick is sacred.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #618
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

do you guys think they cut some of the cool armours vs. extremis soldiers moments out because it would detract from tony as iron man?

like, if it were established that jarvis was creative and efficient in battle, then what's the point of having tony at all?

when i first saw the story boards i was like "damn, that should have been in the movie"

but the more i thought of it, i felt like it would make tony redundant if jarvis was that much of a boss lol.

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #619
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless
 
Punisher_MAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami 305
Posts: 1,033
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I might be the only one that doesnt think the Mandarin is dead...i mean...he survived a far worse explosion before that shell hit him...so maybe this is wishful thinking but...maybe he comes back at some later point as the true Mandarin we know, builds 10 rings to allow him to use the full extent of his Extremis powers, etc etc.


wishful thinking...

__________________
"Si vis pacem, para bellum- if you want peace, prepare for war." - Frank Castle
Punisher_MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #620
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,215
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
WARNING: There will be no future stealing of other poster's lines in this thread, or else Very Bad Things Might Happen. (And I'm talking H.P. Lovecraft stuff. Tentacles coming out of fifty eyeballs, demons unleashed on Abercrombie & Fitch stores everywhere, real end of the world stuff.)

Every schtick is sacred.
Ph'nglui Mglw' nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #621
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Sacred...Internet...Does not compute.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #622
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
do you guys think they cut some of the cool armours vs. extremis soldiers moments out because it would detract from tony as iron man?

like, if it were established that jarvis was creative and efficient in battle, then what's the point of having tony at all?

when i first saw the story boards i was like "damn, that should have been in the movie"

but the more i thought of it, i felt like it would make tony redundant if jarvis was that much of a boss lol.
If they filmed those scenes, or cgi'd them or whatever (which I doubt the fully did if they didn't make the cut) I'd love to see them.. almost a waste of so many armors doing cool special things... and one was a big unibeam attack like I wanted!!!!

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #623
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

i agree about the unibeam; that's not exactly a creative attack in the same way the jet pack jettison and "stop hitting yourself" moments were.

the heartbreaker should have had more screen time imo.

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #624
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 69,286
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Am I one of the few who thinks...Aldrich Killian isn't really the Mandarin but wants to be? Sorta like Jim Carry's Riddler said he was Batman at the end of Batman Forever? because that's how I interpreted when I first saw IM3.

__________________
Design of Chaos

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #625
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Am I one of the few who thinks...Aldrich Killian isn't really the Mandarin but wants to be? Sorta like Jim Carry's Riddler said he was Batman at the end of Batman Forever? because that's how I interpreted when I first saw IM3.
I don't think so. He had the dragon tattoos, not to mention the fact that he orchestrated everything, including Trevor. He's definitely Mandarin.

On a side note, I love your avatar. Can't wait for the new album.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.