The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #551
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
They are owned by Disney, they have plenty of backing if need be. The issue as I see it is autonomy. Marvel Studios had a business model before they were purchased by Disney and got used to doing things a certain way. It probably gives them more creative freedom by sticking to their plan and not allowing costs to escalate on actors salaries. Disney's weight has really showed up in the marketing/multi platform aspect. The more they become dependant on Disney the more creative input they'd likely have (and Marvel lose). Whether that is a good or bad thing would depend on the people in place.
Well said.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #552
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I get that money is an issue and the training thing is probably also a huge pain in the ass, but these rumors are still hugely disappointing, especially in relation to Hemsworth's trepidation about coming back. Marvel made your frickin' career, and you're gunna be pissed that they're only willing to pay the amount agreed to in your contract?? I'd think the smaller actors would be willing to work with Marvel because of the chance the studio took on them. RDJ should be pretty willing too, considering Marvel gave him his old career back as well.

And I'm sorry, but I couldn't feel any less sympathy over these stories about millionaires whining because they want millions more to act on camera or play a sport

I understand it would suck to train so much, but f***in' boo hoo, it's what you get paid for, I'm very disappointed in Mr. Hemsworth if this is all true

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #553
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I get that money is an issue and the training thing is probably also a huge pain in the ass, but these rumors are still hugely disappointing, especially in relation to Hemsworth's trepidation about coming back. Marvel made your frickin' career, and you're gunna be pissed that they're only willing to pay the amount agreed to in your contract?? I'd think the smaller actors would be willing to work with Marvel because of the chance the studio took on them. RDJ should be pretty willing too, considering Marvel gave him his old career back as well.

And I'm sorry, but I couldn't feel any less sympathy over these stories about millionaires whining because they want millions more to act on camera or play a sport

I understand it would suck to train so much, but f***in' boo hoo, it's what you get paid for, I'm very disappointed in Mr. Hemsworth if this is all true
The question is why the rich owners of the company should get it instead, when they obviously pay their actors less than they are worth? Chris earned 20 times as much for Snow White and the Huntsman, which didn't exactly do as well as TA. So it's not about if they need more money or not, it's about why the richer people that don't actually work on the movies deserve to get all the benefits of the movies doing better than expected.

The topic of them not needing more money is, while true, a slippery slope since I can't justify how I can sit here and complain about movies and so on when people starve and work for less than $1 per day in other parts of the world.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #554
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:

Your opinion literally makes zero sense.

The money has to go somewhere. Would you rather it completely line the pockets of the fat cat's atop Marvel? If you're pissed about the money these people make then stop paying for tickets. When they signed Hemsworth they included "options" for renegotiations before filming some of the other films. What he's doing is perfectly acceptable and within his rights.

$5 million for Hemsworth is a drop in the big Marvel bucket. Marvel gave him the opportunity, but he MADE the character. Without him it's not the same. It goes both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
The question is why the rich owners of the company should get it instead, when they obviously pay their actors less than they are worth? Chris earned 20 times as much for Snow White and the Huntsman, which didn't exactly do as well as TA. So it's not about if they need more money or not, it's about why the richer people that don't actually work on the movies deserve to get all the benefits of the movies doing better than expected.

The topic of them not needing more money is, while true, a slippery slope since I can't justify how I can sit here and complain about movies and so on when people starve and work for less than $1 per day in other parts of the world.
Hell, Thor grossed more worldwide than Snow White .....

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 05-08-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #555
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I'm not saying the studio execs deserve it, hell, nobody deserves it
just like with athletes and the team owners
all these motherf*****ers complain about money, when they get paid ridiculous sums of money just to entertain us for an hour or two

That said, I understand wanting a raise after the billion dollar windfall from Avengers, but to have a bad enough attitude to walk away from the films is uncalled for. Yes, people like Hemsworth as Thor, but if it weren't for these movies, he'd still be a nameless Australian Soap actor. And it's not like Hemsworth is a proven commodity outside Thor, SW&TH hardly dominated the box office. I'd hate to see it because I loved Thor in both his film appearances, but if worse comes to worse he could definitely be recast.

Unfortunately, depending on how the contracts were structured, the actors may have no leg to stand on in this. I'm not intimately familiar with the details, but a contract's a contract, s**t's legally binding.

The news about Chris Evans seems even stranger because he was reportedly so careful about getting what he wanted in the contract last time around

but I dunno, the only thing I'd say to any of these guys is: Terrence Howard's career.

Last edited by BoredGuy; 05-08-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #556
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

I take all these rumors lightly. There's always crap spread around whenever actors are negotiating contracts with studios. Can you honestly imagine any of these actors not wanting to continue in TA2 or their own individual next movie? Or imagine that the studio will suddenly start making wholesale cast changes after the success they've had building them up? It's a stalemate for all involved and they'll all come to some agreement.

In tv world a lot of shows go belly up after 5 years because at that point most of the original cast who joined (often as unknowns) have become famous or well known and have 5 year contracts expiring and to re-sign them at the new rates massively increases the cost of making the show. Plus after 5 years the full time actors are entitled to syndication royalties, so they get that bit back from the show even if they're no longer in it.

It's business. And the people negotiating will be the managers and agents, not the actors themselves. And it will all be worked out but until it is Hollywood rags will keep spewing out OMGDRAMA! articles.

I don't believe for a second that Hemsworth deliberately slackened off his training. Look at his body! He looks better this time around and can hopefully appear more athletic with less of the bulk in his thighs but still retaining that fabulous upper body and with a less puffy face than the first movie. Yes, I said puffy, because I can't find a better word to describe it.

itchyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #557
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not saying the studio execs deserve it, hell, nobody deserves it
just like with athletes and the team owners
all these motherf*****ers complain about money, when they get paid ridiculous sums of money just to entertain us for an hour or two
It's not about complaining. It's about their right to negotiate from a large pool of money that is there and has to go somewhere. Again, if you don't like what they're paid then stop buying tickets to the movies and while you're at it, get everyone else to.

Quote:
That said, I understand wanting a raise after the billion dollar windfall from Avengers, but to have a bad enough attitude to walk away from the films is uncalled for. Yes, people like Hemsworth as Thor, but if it weren't for these movies, he'd still be a nameless Australian Soap actor. And it's not like Hemsworth is a proven commodity outside Thor, SW&TH hardly dominated the box office. I'd hate to see it because I loved Thor in both his film appearances, but if worse comes to worse he could definitely be recast.
It's not having a bad attitude. It's called negotiations. Have you ever negotiated anything in your life before, especially one where you're grossly underpaid based on the numbers, especially in light of RDJ's $70-$80 million he earned on Avengers? There is not one person on the planet who can argue Hemsworth only had a fraction of Downey's worth in that film.

Quote:
Unfortunately, depending on how the contracts were structured, the actors may have no leg to stand on in this. I'm not intimately familiar with the details, but a contract's a contract, s**t's legally binding.

The news about Chris Evans seems even stranger because he was reportedly so careful about getting what he wanted in the contract last time around

but I dunno, the only thing I'd say to any of these guys is: Terrence Howard's career.
They do have a leg to stand on. When Marvel signed them up, they gave them options that could be renegotiated. That is why right now Hemsworth is unsigned.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #558
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
I take all these rumors lightly. There's always crap spread around whenever actors are negotiating contracts with studios. Can you honestly imagine any of these actors not wanting to continue in TA2 or their own individual next movie? Or imagine that the studio will suddenly start making wholesale cast changes after the success they've had building them up? It's a stalemate for all involved and they'll all come to some agreement.

In tv world a lot of shows go belly up after 5 years because at that point most of the original cast who joined (often as unknowns) have become famous or well known and have 5 year contracts expiring and to re-sign them at the new rates massively increases the cost of making the show. Plus after 5 years the full time actors are entitled to syndication royalties, so they get that bit back from the show even if they're no longer in it.

It's business. And the people negotiating will be the managers and agents, not the actors themselves. And it will all be worked out but until it is Hollywood rags will keep spewing out OMGDRAMA! articles.

I don't believe for a second that Hemsworth deliberately slackened off his training. Look at his body! He looks better this time around and can hopefully appear more athletic with less of the bulk in his thighs but still retaining that fabulous upper body and with a less puffy face than the first movie. Yes, I said puffy, because I can't find a better word to describe it.
Agreed. The one thing that struck me about the article when I read it I felt like I saw a lot of "I hear this happened..." "I understand this actor said that". Reminds me of the game played when I was a kid at birthday parties, telephone, where you sit in a circle and one person starts by whispering something in the ear of the person next to them, then they whisper it to the next person and so on. You get 3, 4, 5 people down the line and the phrase has been twisted to where it's not what was originally said. In this case, I'll add that I question whether the 'quote' from the actors ever actually happened (I'll believe it when I see a *direct* quote, not a 'someone told me someone said he said this') and may just be the journalist trying to sensationalize the situation.

I don't think they should get paid as much as RDJ got paid for Avengers (hell, I'm not sure RDJ should've gotten paid as much as he got paid) but I do think the rest of the cast has been underpaid. I think ideally they should probably get a percentage on the back end (especially if, perhaps, they negotiate things so that they don't take as much up front).

Anywho... yeah, just my opinion. Negotiations, they happen. Nothing abnormal about it.

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #559
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
It's not about complaining. It's about their right to negotiate from a large pool of money that is there and has to go somewhere. Again, if you don't like what they're paid then stop buying tickets to the movies and while you're at it, get everyone else to.
well, that is why I generally... ahem... avoid paying for movies nowadays, and why I will never pay for anything related to sports. None of 'em deserve the cash they rake in.

Quote:
It's not having a bad attitude. It's called negotiations. Have you ever negotiated anything in your life before, especially one where you're grossly underpaid based on the numbers, especially in light of RDJ's $70-$80 million he earned on Avengers? There is not one person on the planet who can argue Hemsworth only had a fraction of Downey's worth in that film.
No, sorry, I've never negotiated well above my worth for millions of dollars before. And I'm not saying Hemsworth has only a fraction of RDJ's value in terms of the film, but his impact on box office is probably a fraction of Downey's. Plus, Downey made out like a bandit with his back end deal. It almost seems like every actor should be content with a minimal up front payment and some sweet back end. That way you're actually earning your pay. the days of actors getting $20 million up front are, hopefully, long gone.

I'm not arguing with you that with such a huge pool of cash, the actors deserve as much as anyone else.
I was just stating that, based on these hopefully sensationalized reports, it's upsetting to see a bunch of millionaires act like babies
But as others have said, hopefully this is all just THR and Deadline drumming up the drama to get page views.
Based on the Collider interview with Evans, it certainly doesn't sound like he has any bad feelings toward Marvel.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #560
Lady_Sif
Goddess of Asgard

Quote:
well, that is why I generally... ahem... avoid paying for movies nowadays, and why I will never pay for anything related to sports. None of 'em deserve the cash they rake in.
Every fan who passionately loves something, no matter what, is SUPPORTING the thing he loves. When I buy a CD of a band I like, I want to support the band by paying for it. This is a matter of honesty and respecting their good work. Just because these film makers make a "little more" money than an underground band, does not automatically mean they don't deserve the same thing. I am proudly saying that I'm going to theaters. I'm buying the DVDs of movies I love, because I value the movies. Saying you don't, is nothing you should be proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Assuming if the recent news reports are true, I can't believe that there was possibly so much tension going on behind-the-scenes regarding Chris's salary for his upcoming portrayal as Thor in this film. I really hope that MS don't end up losing him within the near future because I just can't see anyone playing Thor and pulling it off like Chris has done in a long awhile. They need to keep Chris on board for two more avengers films and at least one more Thor film.
There is apparently something going on there for most of the cast, if not all. I heard that same issue about RDJ. Appearing last week on "The Daily Show," "Iron Man 3" star Robert Downey Jr. was coy when asked whether he will "keep going" with Marvel's flagship franchise, responding simply, "I don't know." "I had a long contract with them," he added with an exaggerated wink to host Jon Stewart, "Now we're going to renegotiate."

This leaves me speechless actually.

Quote:
Speaking of money .... it would appear that truly was the center of the problem when it came to the Norton situation. Nothing against Ruffalo, he did a fine job ..... but still, after that article I think we know the truth now about Marvel.

The re-casts are inevitable at some point. Unless the rest of the solo-adventures receive huge boosts in the box office, eventually these guys are going to get tired of playing the parts. The only guy I ever got the impression he was enjoying his time (aside from RDJ) was Hiddleston.
Whenever someone had been replaced, and it was said they had "creative difficulties" this means, it was only about money. The Norton case was about money. And Terrence Howard case was about money too. I just don't think that asking for a little more salary for a sequel is wrong, if the first movie has been a success.

Marvel is greedy and has allegedly even threatened actors who asked for more sallary to replace them. Let's face it: They did that in the past! IM and RDJ have grossed so much money... Money they used to build up MS and make the Avengers which became the third sucessfull movie of all time. Why can't they just give a little bit of that huge cake to the actors instead of kicking everyone out who is not agreeing to this kind of behavior.

I have so much respect especially for Chris who has to get muscles like a god ... like each year. It deeply saddens me. I simply REFUSE to get another actor for IM, or for THOR!!

fear my name!"

I Show You Were The Hammer Hangs!

Last edited by Lady_Sif; 05-08-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Lady_Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #561
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you that with such a huge pool of cash, the actors deserve as much as anyone else.
I was just stating that, based on these hopefully sensationalized reports, it's upsetting to see a bunch of millionaires act like babies
But as others have said, hopefully this is all just THR and Deadline drumming up the drama to get page views.
Based on the Collider interview with Evans, it certainly doesn't sound like he has any bad feelings toward Marvel.
They're not acting like babies. They are negotiating. The agents and reps are the ones quoted in that article ........... which btw is sensational reporting.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #562
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
i am not worried about hems not returning
Yeah I'm not worrying too much about the cast not returning. They'd be so foolish not to.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #563
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
No, sorry, I've never negotiated well above my worth for millions of dollars before. And I'm not saying Hemsworth has only a fraction of RDJ's value in terms of the film, but his impact on box office is probably a fraction of Downey's. Plus, Downey made out like a bandit with his back end deal. It almost seems like every actor should be content with a minimal up front payment and some sweet back end. That way you're actually earning your pay. the days of actors getting $20 million up front are, hopefully, long gone.

But they are worth millions of dollars because their worth is defined by what people are willing to pay them, and other people than Marvel pay these guys more. Hemsworth only got about half the pay for TA as he got for SWatH, and the latter was probably less work and made just a small fraction of what TA made.

If you got an offer from a different company to do roughly the same job but get twice the pay, would you stick around your current employer because you don't need more money? I think very few would.

Quote:
So people using their contracted stipulations of renegotiation are acting like babies, but not paying for the entertainment you consume and still sit there and have lots of opinions about how it should be done is not? I think my world view is quite different from yours.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #564
BoredGuy
Killing Time

well see, you said it there, Snow White was less work, made less box office, and he got more money for it, so in what way was that bigger paycheck earned?
And waiting for movies to be on free-ish video services as opposed to paying 12 bucks in a theater because you're poor is very different from rich people demanding a couple million extra to play pretend on camera

but anyway, once again, hoping it's all being blown out of proportion

Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #565
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
well see, you said it there, Snow White was less work, made less box office, and he got more money for it, so in what way was that bigger paycheck earned?
Huh?

He got paid more for Snow White because his going rate has increased, which is a common occurence when you become a more highly sought name. Deservedly so.

You're right Bored. He should just be paid one low, below-market contract for the rest of his career.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #566
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah until I actually SEE something in print I wouldn't worry too much About Chris not returning

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #567
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
And waiting for movies to be on free-ish video services as opposed to paying 12 bucks in a theater because you're poor is very different from rich people demanding a couple million extra to play pretend on camera

but anyway, once again, hoping it's all being blown out of proportion
I don't get why that would make you hostile towards actors and athletes. It's just Millionaires asking Billionaires to take home more money because it's there talents that make the money for the Billionaires.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #568
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Well I wouldn't be a bit Surprised if it IS true that Liam Hemsworth is approached for the part. I mean he was in the running as well for the original part

....to every King.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #569
tek
Side-Kick

Cannot see Chris Hemsworth leaving the role of thor and the avengers . That would be a bonehead career move. Negotiating is one thing but he does not strike me as someone who would walk out. He would have to be fired

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #570
jacobed
Banned User

He won't walk out on Avengers 2. He just won't return for Thor 3 or A3. Which I'm fine with same with Evans. I think A2 will be his last time in the suit.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #571
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
He won't walk out on Avengers 2. He just won't return for Thor 3 or A3. Which I'm fine with same with Evans. I think A2 will be his last time in the suit.
Evans has a 6 picture contract though

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #572
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

^ Chris Hemsworth has a 6 picture deal as well.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #573
ctsketch
Side-Kick

What happens if they walk out on their contract?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #574
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

heh they get sued? I mean they signed contracts that got them famous and made them worth more in the long run so they CAN ask for more from OTHER company's.
I still think it's still all rumor until THEY say something.

....to every King.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #575
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
heh they get sued? I mean they signed contracts that got them famous and made them worth more in the long run so they CAN ask for more from OTHER company's.
I still think it's still all rumor until THEY say something.
Yup, they get sued. so it's best if marvel and the actors find some middle ground in these negotiations