The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #176
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Congrats, glad it worked out. What scoring record did Lampard get?

And that's a bit of a worry for the Cup Final. Hope Hazard makes it for that.
Thanks, and Lampard is now Chelsea's top goal scorer of all time on 203 goals (Bobby Tambling was Chelsea's previous record holder on 202).

All the more impressive a feat for a Midfielder.

And hopefully Hazzard's injury isn't too bad (he pulled up holding his hamstring/thigh but he walked off so it might have been twinge rather than a tear). Terry's injury looked far worse (was stretchered off with his leg strapped up).

Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #177
B
[insert witty comment]

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
What? Klopp's English is fine, easily as good as Ancelotti's, AVB's and even Mou's
I didn't actually mean Klopp has poor English, I was just using it as an example for the sort of manager I wouldn't want ie one that cannot speak the primary language of the club & would have any sort of communication problems with people.

Quote:
also how has Moyes got more experience at the top level? Germany is the top level, Klopp has managed their for years and he's not a 1 year wonder, he built a team with less money than Moyes spent at Everton and with it he's won back to back Bundesliga titles, the German Cup and may well win the CL with that team, all the while playing fantastic football not the hoofball crap Everton play most of the time. Moyes is not even close to being in the same breath as Klopp.
Also again, I wasn't talking about Klopp specifically concerning experience however Moyes does have more experience than Klopp in regards to top level football. Moyes has managed in the Premiership in for what.. 11 years I believe & has managed to keep Everton consistently near the top for I'd say 9 of those seasons. Klopp started management 11 years ago in the 2nd tier of German football, got Mainz promoted after 5 years to the Bundesliga, then relegated again in 3 years later, then resigned after he failed to get the club back into the Bundesliga at the first attempt, then moving to Dortmund only finally having some success in the past 2 seasons, although this season, despite reaching the UCL final, they have been completely blown away by Bayern Munich in the league. To be honest if we'd appointed Klopp, I'd have as many concerns with him being appointed manager as I currently do with Moyes.. just different concerns. I need to see how things start with Moyes, who he brings in & how we look to be set up before I really give my blessing, I'll at least give him a chance before cursing him out. There is no question though, if he loses 2 or 3 games on the bounce, the pressure will almost certainly be on him to turn things around. With Ferguson such a run could be forgiven because of all he has done for the club.. but with Moyes I'm almost certain it won't. The fans have got used to success & they'll want it to stay..

In regards to style of play, listen I don't think we have to worry about Moyes coming into Manchester United & turning us into a longball team inside 1 year.. or even 6 for that matter. The style of play/philosophy is embedded into clubs roots & starts at youth level all the way up to the first team. Just look at Barcelona, people think that Guardiola invented their tika-tika sort of play, Barcelona have played like that for years. Guardiola just managed to blend together a bunch of players that could do it more effectively than previous managers beforehand could. Changing the style of football being played is, in my opinion, something that will take more than a couple of seasons to change.. if he starts bringing in Felliani & that sort of player ie players not that strong with the ball at their feet, then I'd maybe start to worry a little. But this group of players & with the youth setup already established at Old Trafford, I don't think we need to worry about becoming a long ball team.. yet.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #178
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Congrats to Lampard for that scoring record. What a legend.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #179
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Yeah Congrats on Lampard getting his 203rd goals

Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #180
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

So is Lamps getting a new contract then? He deserves it.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #181
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Lampard is getting a new contract....for LA Galaxy.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #182
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Lampard is getting a new contract....for LA Galaxy.
Shame..

Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #183
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Thanks, and Lampard is now Chelsea's top goal scorer of all time on 203 goals (Bobby Tambling was Chelsea's previous record holder on 202).

All the more impressive a feat for a Midfielder.

And hopefully Hazzard's injury isn't too bad (he pulled up holding his hamstring/thigh but he walked off so it might have been twinge rather than a tear). Terry's injury looked far worse (was stretchered off with his leg strapped up).
Yeah, that's an amazing achievement for a midfielder. Congrats to the guy. I've always liked Lampard compared to most other recent England players. Not sure why he suddenly got unpopular.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #184
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Congrats to Wobbly and Chelsea on CL qualification and a big congrats to Lampard on breaking the scoring record, top quality player and seems like a good guy, well deserved.

Wigan giving it a real go against City, McManaman has caused them problems, but I think they'll run out of steam and City will take over in the 2nd half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Ah good, thought I was seeing things after the recent discussions.
Heh! Like I said I'm not calling Rooney a cab, I just don't feel he's as vital or as good as he was.

Quote:
I really hope you get Ronaldo back (not sure his hunger to return will be the same without Fergie) but I don't really like when Utd get a big player in and another leaves. When VP came in the team improved significantly as you didn't have to lose anything for him to come in. Although Ronaldo in will improve any team whatever else is happening.
If we got Ronaldo back and moved Kagawa permanently to the #10 along with a quality CM coming in I think we'd be stronger even with the loss of Rooney as the shape would flow better.

Quote:
Have Utd ever had a great midfield at the same time as 2 great starting strikers? They used to be amazing in midfield and only good up front (although the 4 players worked very well in a squad system) and now they have at least 2 and maybe 3 great strikers and their midfield is not as good. One day..
I think when we had the 4 you are referring to (Cole, Yorke, Ole & Sherringham) with Becks, Keane, Scholes and Giggs as our 4 across the park was our best combination of midfield and attack, all being of a very high standard. Before that we had Kanchelskis, Robson, Ince, Giggs/Sharpe, Cantona & Hughes, which was also a good midfield & Forwards set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
As an Evertonian you are seriously under-estimating Fellaini and Baines Hunter. Baines is 27, soon to turn 28 and is the best left-back in the premiership. He has also created more chances this season than any other player in Europe, yes, including the likes of Messi, Xavi, Ronaldo, etc. So I dont see how you could aim higher in his position. Only left-back in Europe close to Baines is Jordi Alba, and he aint gonna move from Barca.
Nice to see you in the thread mate. I wasn't underestimating Baines, he is 29 in December and although I agree that he's the best LB in the league, I don't see the point in spending 17M on an Evra replacement who is only 3 years younger, especially when Evra has had a good season.

Quote:
Yes, we play Fellaini behind the striker, but centre midfield is his best position, and he is amazing there, I remember a couple of seasons ago he played in CM for about 30 games running, got MOM in over 20 of them, and this is when we were in amazing form as well, so its not like he was the stand out in a poor team. We play him as number 10 because Moyes likes a big man up top and we have other CM's who can do a job, but as a CM, IMO, Fellaini could get in any team in the league and most in Europe as well. Both would be great signings for Utd, and I would be gutted to see them go.
Again not trying to say Fellaini is crap but I disagree that he'd get into most teams in Europe, if we are talking about the top teams. Off the top of my head I don't think he'd get into Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern, Dortmund or Juve's midfield's. Now he would get into United's because we only have one truly quality CM but I want us to aim higher than Fellaini who is decent but not great IMO.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #185
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
I didn't actually mean Klopp has poor English, I was just using it as an example for the sort of manager I wouldn't want ie one that cannot speak the primary language of the club & would have any sort of communication problems with people.
I don't think he would have any problems communicating, the other foreign managers in our league haven't. I mean with your criteria you only want a British manager.

Quote:
Also again, I wasn't talking about Klopp specifically concerning experience however Moyes does have more experience than Klopp in regards to top level football. Moyes has managed in the Premiership in for what.. 11 years I believe & has managed to keep Everton consistently near the top for I'd say 9 of those seasons. Klopp started management 11 years ago in the 2nd tier of German football, got Mainz promoted after 5 years to the Bundesliga, then relegated again in 3 years later, then resigned after he failed to get the club back into the Bundesliga at the first attempt, then moving to Dortmund only finally having some success in the past 2 seasons, although this season, despite reaching the UCL final, they have been completely blown away by Bayern Munich in the league. To be honest if we'd appointed Klopp, I'd have as many concerns with him being appointed manager as I currently do with Moyes.. just different concerns. I need to see how things start with Moyes, who he brings in & how we look to be set up before I really give my blessing, I'll at least give him a chance before cursing him out. There is no question though, if he loses 2 or 3 games on the bounce, the pressure will almost certainly be on him to turn things around. With Ferguson such a run could be forgiven because of all he has done for the club.. but with Moyes I'm almost certain it won't. The fans have got used to success & they'll want it to stay..
They've both had plenty of time in management though and Everton have had the kind of budget that is similar to O'Neill at Villa before he left so keeping within spitting distance of the top 6 is not that great of an achievement. The bottom line is that we can argue who's had more overall football experience but the key facts are that Moyes has had 11 years, won nothing and only been to one final. Klopp, with less money, rejuvenated Dortmund, took back to back league titles, a German Cup and is in the CL final, one is a proven winner, the other is a proven water treader.

Quote:
In regards to style of play, listen I don't think we have to worry about Moyes coming into Manchester United & turning us into a longball team inside 1 year.. or even 6 for that matter. The style of play/philosophy is embedded into clubs roots & starts at youth level all the way up to the first team. Just look at Barcelona, people think that Guardiola invented their tika-tika sort of play, Barcelona have played like that for years. Guardiola just managed to blend together a bunch of players that could do it more effectively than previous managers beforehand could. Changing the style of football being played is, in my opinion, something that will take more than a couple of seasons to change.. if he starts bringing in Felliani & that sort of player ie players not that strong with the ball at their feet, then I'd maybe start to worry a little. But this group of players & with the youth setup already established at Old Trafford, I don't think we need to worry about becoming a long ball team.. yet.
I concede this is true that he could be capable of managing a different style with different players at his disposal, likewise in the transfer market he could be well aware of talents he's never been linked with before simply because they weren't viable financially for Everton. However as it stands I see zero to be positive about with this choice of manager, especially when Jose was right their with his cap in hand wanting the job. I'll give him a chance of course but I've set the bar low for expectations next season.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #186
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Heh! Like I said I'm not calling Rooney a cab, I just don't feel he's as vital or as good as he was.

If we got Ronaldo back and moved Kagawa permanently to the #10 along with a quality CM coming in I think we'd be stronger even with the loss of Rooney as the shape would flow better.
Oh yeah I forgot about Kagawa. That could work. Yeah, another central midfielder would be the priority and I guess Carrick has solved one problem with his form this season. I'm going to be disappointed about Rooney however he ends up leaving though. I'd prefer to see him at Chelsea than PSG. It's kind of hard to imagine him anywhere outside the North of England though.

Quote:
I think when we had the 4 you are referring to (Cole, Yorke, Ole & Sherringham) with Becks, Keane, Scholes and Giggs as our 4 across the park was our best combination of midfield and attack, all being of a very high standard. Before that we had Kanchelskis, Robson, Ince, Giggs/Sharpe, Cantona & Hughes, which was also a good midfield & Forwards set up.
Was the Ince Robson team Fergie's 1st great Utd team? I can't even remember who he had before that. If so that's at least 3 really great eras of Utd under Fergie.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #187
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

0-1 wigan

bloody hell, this is a great final

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #188
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Wow, Wigan just need to hold on now.

This has to be frustrating though for Wigan fans. If they played like this all season, they'd be a mid table side.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #189
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

blow the ****ing whistle ref come on

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #190
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

happy days

everyone wrote wigan off and handed it to city before the game itself, hell even city expected to walk it judging by they're poor performance and the fact they got nasty when wigan took it to them

bravo wigan bravo

Old 05-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #191
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Roberto Martinez has more trophies than David Moyes now.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #192
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Congrats to Wigan! Callum McManaman was brilliant today.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #193
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Congrats to Wigan!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #194
bapi
Side-Kick

Congrats to Wigan! They were better! ****ing travesty by City!

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #195
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

So bapi, Mancini is out right?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #196
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Congrats Wigan :up fully deserved. They were better team.

Mancini said on ITV that he's staying at City.

Last edited by Two-Face; 05-11-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Woops!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #197
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

just heard collymore on talk sport

" so Manchester city, how do you come back form that, do you sack roberto Mancini, do you need new owners some one with more money and clout than the current corporation, there is only jesus and god and we all know god's a man u supporter"

lol

Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #198
bapi
Side-Kick

He said a lot of things and I don't want to repeat myself but... Pellegrini will replace him.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #199
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
just heard collymore on talk sport

" so Manchester city, how do you come back form that, do you sack roberto Mancini, do you need new owners some one with more money and clout than the current corporation, there is only jesus and god and we all know god's a man u supporter"

lol

Class! Never heard that one.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #200
bapi
Side-Kick

Mancini: "I don't know why the club hasn't stopped this (headlines about his future). They should have done something'

Mancini closes it by saying he will feel "stupid" if he finds out the Pellegrini story is true

This is pathetic now!

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Closed Thread