The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #376
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by signifyingmnky View Post
I'd say it's indirectly addressing the upset fans and confused viewers of the change in actors. Tony's at a Senate hearing about whether or not the Iron Man suit is a weapon and should be handed over to the government. Of course Rhodey, who served as a sort of liaison between the military and Stark would be there. There is no reason Tony should be surprised he makes an appearance, and given that, no reason that Rhodey should have to tell him "It's me, deal with it". However, the audience has every reason to be surprised and/or upset, and that is who the line is for.

That being said, this is far too much energy expended over what was initially a joke about the Mandarin's rank among comic book villains on film, due to his ability to leave people on screen and off in disbelief over his identity.
That's the key word. It needs to be directly addressing the audience in order for it to break the fourth wall. Rhodey needs to literally be aware of the fact that he is a fictional character in a movie, which he isn't, in order for it to be breaking the fourth wall.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #377
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by signifyingmnky View Post
The fourth wall can be broken when the audience is directly or indirectly acknowledged. Both of those quotes acknowledge the audience, or specific people in it.
Your quote from Rhodey doesn't necessarily do anything with the fourth wall. Rather, it is Rhodey demanding the respect Tony owes him.

ďEvil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity Ė the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, letís call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.Ē
Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #378
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post

That's the key word. It needs to be directly addressing the audience in order for it to break the fourth wall. Rhodey needs to literally be aware of the fact that he is a fictional character in a movie, which he isn't, in order for it to be breaking the fourth wall.
Yep. It's an in-joke. Emphasis on in. It's a line that still works within the context of the movie.

The whole point of breaking the fourth wall is that it shatters any "in." It has a character openly acknowledge he is in a movie/play/comic or what have you and address the audience.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #379
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I never thought I'd see a page and a half dedicated to defining what breaking the fourth wall is. Jesus. For the record - Breaking the fourth wall is when a character speaks directly to us like in Ferris Beuller or Alfie, the character is aware he's being watched. No-one in any IM film is aware they are in a film, so the fourth wall is well and truly in tact, in fact there isn't even a hole in it. End of story I'm afraid.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #380
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Don't tell us. Tell the other guy who's just not getting it.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #381
roach
I am the night

Soooo.......Mandarin huh?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #382
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Soooo.......Mandarin huh?
Not really. lol I think everyone has said what they have to say. Several times over.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #383
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

lol, of page after page of people trying to educate someone on something as simple as the fourth wall. Hilarious.

My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #384
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I didn't know much about mandarin so i kind of shrugged at it but i can't see how anyone who was a fan of the actual character could have approved? I'm just thinking how i'd react if they pulled that stunt with one of the main batman rogues?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #385
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

They are two entirely different franchises.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 05-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #386
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I'm just thinking how i'd react if they pulled that stunt with one of the main batman rogues?
They did, with Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins.

And yes, Ra's is one of Batman's main rogues. He's not as popular as Joker, Two-Face, or Riddler with general audiences, but he's still a main rogue.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #387
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post

And yes, Ra's is one of Batman's main rogues. He's not as popular as Joker, Two-Face, or Riddler with general audiences, but he's still a main rogue.
That was Ra's al ghul though. To my knowledge the "real mandarin" was nothing like his comic counterpart.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #388
roach
I am the night

Quote:

But it makes sense with Ra's...for a character whose whole thing is dying and resurrecting...a realistic take on that power set would be a fake figure head who dies and is replaced.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #389
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Yep. It's an in-joke. Emphasis on in. It's a line that still works within the context of the movie.

The whole point of breaking the fourth wall is that it shatters any "in." It has a character openly acknowledge he is in a movie/play/comic or what have you and address the audience.
Yeah, I guess you could say they were knocking on the fourth wall with that one, but not breaking it.

Quote:

I think fans were more forgiving of it because the end result was Liam Neeson playing Ra's al Ghul, which is kind of awesome and fitting. It was more of an "Oh I should've seen that coming!" sort of thing. I mean he was sporting the goatee the whole movie.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #390
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I didn't know much about mandarin so i kind of shrugged at it but i can't see how anyone who was a fan of the actual character could have approved? I'm just thinking how i'd react if they pulled that stunt with one of the main batman rogues?
Quote:
That was Ra's al ghul though. To my knowledge the "real mandarin" was nothing like his comic counterpart.
There was definitely a shortage of "fans of the actual character (Mandarin)" before this movie came out. Now all of a sudden, Mandarin apparently gains this huge outraged comic-book fanbase.....go figure.

And here's the thing: none of these overnight Fandarin bandwagoners can point to how, exactly, the comic-book character could have been portrayed authentically....because Mandarin has been altered and changed so many times over the decades that there is no one definitive look or backstory or powerset to the character. And that's pretty much what Shane Black was getting at in this movie. In fact, between Kingsley and Pearce, the "two Mandarins" pay homage to every iteration of the character from the 1960s until present. What we got was an amalgamation of all the different Mandarins, presented in a unique way that is both true to the character(s), and refreshingly new and contemporary.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #391
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
But it makes sense with Ra's...for a character whose whole thing is dying and resurrecting...a realistic take on that power set would be a fake figure head who dies and is replaced.
Also, we never got to know much about "Ra's." Ducard got the development while training Bruce. So the twist doesn't hurt the character of Ra's at all, considering he was actually being developed prior to the reveal.

ďEvil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity Ė the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, letís call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.Ē
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #392
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
There was definitely a shortage of "fans of the actual character (Mandarin)" before this movie came out. Now all of a sudden, Mandarin apparently gains this huge outraged comic-book fanbase.....go figure.

And here's the thing: none of these overnight Fandarin bandwagoners can point to how, exactly, the comic-book character could have been portrayed authentically....because Mandarin has been altered and changed so many times over the decades that there is no one definitive look or backstory or powerset to the character. And that's pretty much what Shane Black was getting at in this movie. In fact, between Kingsley and Pearce, the "two Mandarins" pay homage to every iteration of the character from the 1960s until present. What we got was an amalgamation of all the different Mandarins, presented in a unique way that is both true to the character(s), and refreshingly new and contemporary.

Definitive look(in the comics) is that he's at least asian. Definitive powers reside in his rings. The rings are the Mandarin. When you see them, you think of the Mandarin. That's definitive.

He has both of those. And I don't know about "overnight bandwagoner", but I provided how I'd get the Mandarin to work when you asked me for my take a few weeks ago. And others have provided logical ways for the Mandarin with rings to actually work in an IM movie.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #393
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Definitive look(in the comics) is that he's at least asian. Definitive powers reside in his rings. The rings are the Mandarin. When you see them, you think of the Mandarin. That's definitive.

He has both of those. And I don't know about "overnight bandwagoner", but I provided how I'd get the Mandarin to work when you asked me for my take a few weeks ago. And others have provided logical ways for the Mandarin with rings to actually work in an IM movie.
I know you want Zhang Tong, Cosmic. But that's part of what I said in the post above --- we get an amalgamation of all the different versions of comic-book Mandarin. Killian is the modern version(s) of the character, including business-suit Zhang Tong.

The only thing they really change up is the Rings, which are given a new meaning as a terrorist organization instead of a bunch of space alien rings. But they trade the power of the Rings for the power of Extremis, which is equally as powerful and menacing, and blends nicely into the Extremis plot without having to explain an over-the-top, jarring backstory about dead dragons in flying saucers and alien magic rings.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #394
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I know you want Zhang Tong, Cosmic. But that's part of what I said in the post above --- we get an amalgamation of all the different versions of comic-book Mandarin. Killian is the modern version(s) of the character, including business-suit Zhang Tong.

The only thing they really change up is the Rings, which are given a new meaning as a terrorist organization instead of a bunch of space alien rings. But they trade the power of the Rings for the power of Extremis, which is equally as powerful and menacing, and blends nicely into the Extremis plot without having to explain an over-the-top, jarring backstory about dead dragons in flying saucers and alien magic rings.

Honestly I've made my peace with the twist, and I find the reveal scene hilarious. While I would have rathered a Mandarin with the rings, Killian is a badass villain so I'm happy with him regardless.

Also, I find the name "Killian" more threatening than "Mandarin".

Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #395
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think fans were more forgiving of it because the end result was Liam Neeson playing Ra's al Ghul, which is kind of awesome and fitting. It was more of an "Oh I should've seen that coming!" sort of thing. I mean he was sporting the goatee the whole movie.
Having only BTAS to go on I guessed that Neeson was Ra's early in the film mostly on that look alone. As soon as Crane said who he was working for I knew Neeson would return as the real Ra's. Honestly, it wasn't very hard to guess.

Whether Mandarin's twist would be harder or easier I can't say because I knew it was going to happen before I even saw the movie.

But the Batman Begins one works while the IM3 one doesn't.

Hell, you could say that for the uninitiated the reveal that Stane was the villain in IM1 was a twist. Not sure how well it worked for them since I can't speak as one of them. I knew he'd be a villain from the moment Bridges was cast.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #396
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Definitive powers reside in his rings. The rings are the Mandarin..
Disagree. The Mandarin's powers are that he is a brilliant schemer, mad scientist, and superhuman martial artist.

The rings are not his powers, and in fact they are kind of shark-jump-prone, even in the comics. They are kind of like venom for Bane. Bane started out as this genius strategist(could beat Ra's Al Ghul at Chess), martial artist, and athlete. Venom was just a tool that boosted him from having almost superhuman strength to slightly superhuman strength. Venom was nice, it was nifty, but it was way less than 10% of what made Bane dangerous. Yet later writers made Bane into the Hulk, a ****tard who completely revolved around venom. Bane jumped the shark because of writers focusing too much on venom.

The rings are a lot like that. You look in early stories, and the rings kind of suck. The most impressive thing they can do is kind of parlor tricks like create a bunch of illusions of Mandarin, which Mandarin uses as a distraction to karate-chop Iron Man because Iron Man doesn't know who to dodge. The karate-chop is the bread-n-butter of his personal attacks. And scheming and mad science are what he's about more than personal attacks anyway.

In fact, I'd note that what both Mandarin and Bane share is that serious portrayals of them dropped the most shark-jump-prone weapon in their arsenal. Movie Bane has no venom, so his strategy, martial-arts, and athleticism get to shine through. Movie Mandarin has no rings, so his scheming, mad science, and superhuman martial arts abilities shine through.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #397
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChen View Post
Disagree. The Mandarin's powers are that he is a brilliant schemer, mad scientist, and superhuman martial artist.

The rings are not his powers, and in fact they are kind of shark-jump-prone, even in the comics. They are kind of like venom for Bane. Bane started out as this genius strategist(could beat Ra's Al Ghul at Chess), martial artist, and athlete. Venom was just a tool that boosted him from having almost superhuman strength to slightly superhuman strength. Venom was nice, it was nifty, but it was way less than 10% of what made Bane dangerous. Yet later writers made Bane into the Hulk, a ****tard who completely revolved around venom. Bane jumped the shark because of writers focusing too much on venom.

The rings are a lot like that. You look in early stories, and the rings kind of suck. The most impressive thing they can do is kind of parlor tricks like create a bunch of illusions of Mandarin, which Mandarin uses as a distraction to karate-chop Iron Man because Iron Man doesn't know who to dodge. The karate-chop is the bread-n-butter of his personal attacks. And scheming and mad science are what he's about more than personal attacks anyway.

In fact, I'd note that what both Mandarin and Bane share is that serious portrayals of them dropped the most shark-jump-prone weapon in their arsenal. Movie Bane has no venom, so his strategy, martial-arts, and athleticism get to shine through. Movie Mandarin has no rings, so his scheming, mad science, and superhuman martial arts abilities shine through.
Does Mandarin also have the talents you mentioned? Yes. Is he most famous for his ten rings? Yes. The rings are a definitive power/weapon of the Mandarin. There are loads of brilliant schemers, mad scientists, and superhuman martial artists in the comics, but the Mandarin is the only guy with the ten rings.

For example, I could ask you who comes to mind when I say brilliant schemer and you could say a lot of characters. Same goes for Mad scientist and superhuman martial artist.

But when I say ten rings, you immediately think of the Mandarin. I'm not saying his ten rings define his character, I'm saying that are they are synonymous when I think of the Mandarin. Reason being is he's the only character to have ten rings of power like that.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 05-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #398
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChen View Post

I was with you until the very last sentence. Movie Mandarin had no power rings, but it wasn't the same as with Bane. you can attest to two theories here in this discussion:

1) Movie Mandarin wasn't really the Mandarin, had NO SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS and was just an actor

or

2) The Mandarin was an amalgamation of multiple characters with a different set of powers provided by the Extremis that included health regeneration and fire-breathing.

If you go with #2, you are right that you get to see the master strategist, scientist and hand-to-hand combatant, but you can't say he didn't have any special abilities, like Bane in TDKR.

Other than that, I think your concept is right.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #399
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Also, we never got to know much about "Ra's." Ducard got the development while training Bruce. So the twist doesn't hurt the character of Ra's at all, considering he was actually being developed prior to the reveal.
We didn't get to know much of Mandarin, but got to know a fair bit about Aldrich.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #400
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

I was surprised how Kingsley describes Downey's life before he landed the role of Tony Stark in a roundabout way. Other than that, it was a wasted opportunity. Killian too, 'cause outside of some good fights, that was just Guy Pearce being handsome and spouting vaguely portentious lines.

Closed Thread