The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #651
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Glad to hear we will be seeing Extremis again in the MCU, I was very dissapointed Tony didnt get it in IM3 like in the comic, I think it would have been a cool new layer to the character for the future.

Hopefully he gets it in Avengers 2 and we finally get to see the Extremis armour.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #652
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc10 View Post
He said "I am the mandarin, always was".

Seemed pretty straightforward to me
Yeah. I got that pretty clearly.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #653
xeno000
Raining hell from above

My hope is that all of the Extremis soldiers from IM3 weren't killed in the final battle because they were the most badass villains of any of the movies. Their powers are just so extreme(!) and absolutely true to the comic book version. A single one of them could give any of Marvel's heroes the fight of their lives. It would be a shame to waste their potential by confining them to a one-off appearance.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #654
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

except mandarin was never mentioned in iron man 1 or 2. we who know that 10 rings = mandarin as leader via using such outside knowledge (comics) to skew what is actually presented in the films.

killian was working on extremis from 1999 to 2013, sometime after iron man 1, he appropriated the 10 rings logo, along with a bunch of other iconography, and formed the mandarin persona.

if iron man 1 had just one throwaway line about the mandarin then killian's line at the end of im3 would have expanded meaning, but sorry, i am not buying that he was in league with stane etc.

if killian was behind the hardships tony went through in the first movie, he would have let tony know in iron man 3. he would have gloated about it to no end.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #655
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
My hope is that all of the Extremis soldiers from IM3 weren't killed in the final battle because they were the most badass villains of any of the movies. Their powers are just so extreme(!) and absolutely true to the comic book version. A single one of them could give any of Marvel's heroes the fight of their lives. It would be a shame to waste their potential by confining them to a one-off appearance.
extremis powers were pretty badass. comparing them to the chitauri... no contest lol.

maybe feige meant extremis in another sense though? perhaps tony uses it to internalise his armour?

ps.

how did pepper shoot killian at the end with no arc reactor powering the arm? in iron man 1 tony had the arc connected to his arm when he was figuring out repulsor blasts, yet by iron man 3 the logic seems to be that the suits have many different power sources. kind of defeats the purpose of a central arc reactor, i dunno.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #656
sdc10
Side-Kick

Talking Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
except mandarin was never mentioned in iron man 1 or 2. we who know that 10 rings = mandarin as leader via using such outside knowledge (comics) to skew what is actually presented in the films.

killian was working on extremis from 1999 to 2013, sometime after iron man 1, he appropriated the 10 rings logo, along with a bunch of other iconography, and formed the mandarin persona.

if iron man 1 had just one throwaway line about the mandarin then killian's line at the end of im3 would have expanded meaning, but sorry, i am not buying that he was in league with stane etc.

if killian was behind the hardships tony went through in the first movie, he would have let tony know in iron man 3. he would have gloated about it to no end.
The iron man 3 prequel does show a character sitting in front of a 10 ring flag being called "the mandarin" by a subservant as well as being updated on their recent attacks. This characters face is not revealed at the time, however clearly it was supposed to be Killian after seeing the events in the movie. So it is established that Killian is indeed leading this terrorist group rather than just stealing their symbols and creating a fake leader.

sdc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #657
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
The iron man 3 prequel does show a character sitting in front of a 10 ring flag being called "the mandarin" by a subservant as well as being updated on their recent attacks. This characters face is not revealed at the time, however clearly it was supposed to be Killian after seeing the events in the movie. So it is established that Killian is indeed leading this terrorist group rather than just stealing their symbols and creating a fake leader.
well obviously killian was a terrorist. not disputing that. he was behind X number of explosions etc that killed innocent people. eveything trevor televised did happen, with the exception of the execution of that bald guy, who probably got killed by killian himself unbeknownst to trevor.

personally, until feige or black says that killian was behind everything in iron man 1, i'm gonna stick to what is shown in iron man 3 and go with the far more sensible theory that killian was a terrorist who used the 10 rings logo, along with a bunch of other iconography, to create a public persona that itself kept attention off him.

you gotta ask yourself why a prequel comic uses the phrase 10 rings over and over, yet is never once uttered in iron man 3. seems like the perfect call back to mention them, given their presence in iron man 1, and iron man 3 was not above call backs to previous films, so yeah.

that twitter ama with feige should have given us a proper answer, oh well.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #658
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_MAX View Post
I might be the only one that doesnt think the Mandarin is dead...i mean...he survived a far worse explosion before that shell hit him...so maybe this is wishful thinking but...maybe he comes back at some later point as the true Mandarin we know, builds 10 rings to allow him to use the full extent of his Extremis powers, etc etc.

wishful thinking...
Wishful thinking indeed, but that would be an interesting idea.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #659
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
That was my point earlier - people citing prequel comics, external sources, featurettes and interviews with directors as a proof to something that happened in the movie. I don't care if it's considered canon, these comics should not be necessary to understand important plot points and tie loose ends that aren't addressed in the movies.

As it stands, there's no definitive proof that Mandarillian has any affiliation with the Ten Rings organization from IM1. He never implies or refers to that in the movie, for all we know, he could've just adopted their looks and name in order to make his farce going. Since Trevor is just an actor, and it's all fake, it is certainly possible that he has nothing to do with what Stane and Raza did in IM1. There's enough stuff in the movies alone that's ambiguous and allows for different interpretations.

I've yet to see someone bring a definitive proof FROM THE MOVIES that the Ten Rings organization as we see it in IM3 is not an adopted thing to complement a farce (as the Trevor Mandarin), and exist, and is a creation by Killian that's real, and he was pulling the strings ever since IM1 and was watching from the shadows as Tony built the Mark 1 in the cave, and later when Stane got everyone shot.

I'm not asking for prequel comic references or director quotes, I'm asking for a solid proof from the movies.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #660
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
extremis powers were pretty badass. comparing them to the chitauri... no contest lol.

maybe feige meant extremis in another sense though? perhaps tony uses it to internalise his armour?

ps.

how did pepper shoot killian at the end with no arc reactor powering the arm? in iron man 1 tony had the arc connected to his arm when he was figuring out repulsor blasts, yet by iron man 3 the logic seems to be that the suits have many different power sources. kind of defeats the purpose of a central arc reactor, i dunno.
In the scene where Tony was underwater Jarvis detached one arm and used it to pull him free of debris. Also, each separate piece of the prehensile Mark 42 armor must have had its own power source in order to be able to fly to Tony from wherever it was and attach itself. In the Miami scenes each individual segment flew in from hundreds of miles away. (I forget the exact distance Ponytail Express gave.) So it is obvious that the armpiece Pepper used in the finale had its own power source since all the pieces did.

Having multiple power sources for the armor makes more sense than powering everything from a central arc reactor. Say the central reactor malfunctions while Tony or Rhodey is in a suit. That would essentially leave them locked in a suit without power, which could become a death trap. They could also be left without weapons at crucial moments. Having built-in redundant power sources would prevent that sort of scenario from happening.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #661
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
In the scene where Tony was underwater Jarvis detached one arm and used it to pull him free of debris. Also, each separate piece of the prehensile Mark 42 armor must have had its own power source in order to be able to fly to Tony from wherever it was and attach itself. In the Miami scenes each individual segment flew in from hundreds of miles away. (I forget the exact distance Ponytail Express gave.) So it is obvious that the armpiece Pepper used in the finale had its own power source since all the pieces did.

Having multiple power sources for the armor makes more sense than powering everything from a central arc reactor. Say the central reactor malfunctions while Tony or Rhodey is in a suit. That would essentially leave them locked in a suit without power, which could become a death trap. They could also be left without weapons at crucial moments. Having built-in redundant power sources would prevent that sort of scenario from happening.
yep, but then how come the silver centurion armour powered down completely when the centre arc got destroyed? i'm assuming here that the blade that shot out of the arm didn't require repulsor power, given the feasibility that it was purely mechanical.

also, the mark 42 isn't what attached to pepper.

i agree with you though, it's more that they establish the arc to be THE power source in iron man 1 and 2, and then mix it up in 3 with no real explanation.

to me, you shouldn't be able to shoot a repulsor-based attack with out a RT chest piece. it feels like cheating.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #662
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post

The second quote establishes that the company's intention is for Aldrich Killian/The Mandarin to have been pulling strings behind-the-scenes for the entirety of the IM trilogy. IOW, he's the person Raza references in IM1 (although we don't know whether or not Raza reported directly to him or to his proxy frontman, Trevor Slattery)
How does it establish that?
All he is saying is Kilian was working in the shadows, and given his attempts to remain annonymous, he did just that within the movie itself. This doesn't say he was pulling the strings the whole time and the only slight indication is the Mandarin's logo on the television screen.

I'm in the pool that the AIM think tank took it when they created this Mandarin character using all the popular terrorist stereotypes.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #663
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
That was my point earlier - people citing prequel comics, external sources, featurettes and interviews with directors as a proof to something that happened in the movie. I don't care if it's considered canon, these comics should not be necessary to understand important plot points and tie loose ends that aren't addressed in the movies.

As it stands, there's no definitive proof that Mandarillian has any affiliation with the Ten Rings organization from IM1. He never implies or refers to that in the movie, for all we know, he could've just adopted their looks and name in order to make his farce going. Since Trevor is just an actor, and it's all fake, it is certainly possible that he has nothing to do with what Stane and Raza did in IM1. There's enough stuff in the movies alone that's ambiguous and allows for different interpretations.

I've yet to see someone bring a definitive proof FROM THE MOVIES that the Ten Rings organization as we see it in IM3 is not an adopted thing to complement a farce (as the Trevor Mandarin), and exist, and is a creation by Killian that's real, and he was pulling the strings ever since IM1 and was watching from the shadows as Tony built the Mark 1 in the cave, and later when Stane got everyone shot.

I'm not asking for prequel comic references or director quotes, I'm asking for a solid proof from the movies.
For once, I'm in agreement with Norek.

Yeah, it's *possible* that Shane's intent was for Killian's Mandarin persona to have developed as far back as IM1, but until he or Feige or Favreau or RDJ says so specifically, I think that proponents of that concept are just using circumstantial evidence at this point.

Yeah, the IM3 prequel comic shows Killian definitely running Ten Rings hands-on today (2013), but that comic gives no indication about how long he's been there, or even when "The Mandarin" (in any form) became their big boss. And as Spider-Fan says, the Feige quote about "coming out of the shadows" is most likely in reference to the evolution of the character *within* IM3, not spread out over the course of three and a half movies.

To me, Killian pulling the strings on IM1 and IM2 just doesn't make sense. There's nothing in IM3 that suggests that Killian is motivated by revenge or hatred against Tony Stark. Yeah, Tony dumped him on that fateful night in 1999, but Killian's emotional arc basically went from self-loathing (despairing that he was never going to amount to anything, that no one was ever going to listen to his brilliance, that he was always going to be a physical and emotional cripple) to a life-changing event when Maya Hansen introduced him to Extremis.

It's hard to know what Killian was up to in 2008 and 2010, and how far along the scheme had gotten by then, but it's even harder to believe that a man whose life had turned around completely and had become enormously successful would feel the need to act on a grudge against a snub that was almost a decade in his past.

The simpler and more logical explanation is that Killian never really thought he would cross paths with Tony Stark again after 1999, and was content with knowing that he had turned his life around for the better. An alliance with Ten Rings came about merely as a need to create a cover story for the accidental test-subject explosions. We don't know *exactly* when that alliance or the explosions started happening, but IM3 tends to indicate that it's a fairly recent development, not something that's been going on since 2008.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #664
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

The only real connection between IM1 and IM3 concerning the ten rings is the symbol of the ten rings which are the same, plus Favreau said in an interview a few years ago,that he saw Mandarin being more like the Emperor from Star Wars, being behind the scenes pulling the strings, while there was no on screen connection between the ten rings and Vanko in IM2, Favreau again said there was a scene connecting them, but was cut out.
That is all we really have, now maybe Killian himself may not have been directly in charge of the Ten rings, maybe it was AIM think tank, but I suspect Killian was in charge and pulling the strings all along.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #665
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

No real place for this, so I'll mention it here ~

While I like that Marvel includes the group credit for Stan, Larry, Don, and Jack - it seems that one name is missing - Steve Ditko.

I know he is not normally associated with Iron Man but he did create the original Red and Gold armor in 1964 which set the visual guide for the character that is seen to this day.

Seems his name should be there somewhere.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #666
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Glad to hear we will be seeing Extremis again in the MCU, I was very dissapointed Tony didnt get it in IM3 like in the comic, I think it would have been a cool new layer to the character for the future.

Hopefully he gets it in Avengers 2 and we finally get to see the Extremis armour.
Is there any confirmation on that? I don't remember reading it.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #667
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Is there any confirmation on that? I don't remember reading it.
http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/conten...appened-shield

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #668
darthcoolness3
Side-Kick

I saw Iron Man 3 and it was epic. I saw the 2D version. These are the trailers that my theater shown. They didn't show the Thor: The Dark World trailer.
1. Fast and Furious
2. Lone Ranger
3. Man of Steel
4. Wolverine
5. Hunger Games

darthcoolness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #669
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
This would be my cue to mention that I still think that Tony has an upgraded version of Extremis by the end of IM 3.

Adamantium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #670
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoolness3 View Post
I saw Iron Man 3 and it was epic. I saw the 2D version. These are the trailers that my theater shown. They didn't show the Thor: The Dark World trailer.
1. Fast and Furious
2. Lone Ranger
3. Man of Steel
4. Wolverine
5. Hunger Games
Lucky, I've been to the movies 5 times in the past 4 weeks and I've yet to see any MoS trailers, but I see all the others all the damn time.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #671
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium Man View Post
This would be my cue to mention that I still think that Tony has an upgraded version of Extremis by the end of IM 3.

That was JARVIS controlling all of the armors at Tony's command in the finale. Tony was still using the implants under his skin to summon the Mark 42 armor, however. He never had himself infected with the Extremis virus/drug, which I think was a wise decision on the writers' part. Tony needs to remain "a man in a can" to stay true to who he is at core. Having the arc reactor removed from his chest was in line with his heart transplant in the comics.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #672
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'd definitely expect to see Tony sporting Extremis armor in Avengers 2, without a doubt. But I think there's so much that IM3 potentially sets up for the CATWS story that the Russos would be fools to not take the bait. Didn't Cheadle already say that he's negotiating a cameo in CATWS as Iron Patriot? And hopefully the President/VP storyline from IM3 carries over to CATWS, and we get to see more detail on Ellis' presidency under fire. (Sadler's a great actor, anyway --- would be cool to see him again.)
with TWS taking place in DC they better either not show the president at all or make sure it's still Ellis! haha..unless....it was the end of his term? and we don't know when TWS takes place anyways

ctsketch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #673
Adamantium Man

Quote:
That was JARVIS controlling all of the armors at Tony's command in the finale. Tony was still using the implants under his skin to summon the Mark 42 armor, however. He never had himself infected with the Extremis virus/drug, which I think was a wise decision on the writers' part. Tony needs to remain "a man in a can" to stay true to who he is at core. Having the arc reactor removed from his chest was in line with his heart transplant in the comics.
Agreed. The end battle sequence was all Jarvis and the level of power Tony had at the beginning of the movie.

No, I'm talking about the very brief sequence at the very end, of him getting the reactor taken out, where he narrates about "progress being dangerous" and "I am a changed man now". Granted, it's very subtle, and I could be wrong, but I was looking at the patch of white, unscarred skin on his chest where the reactor used to be in the shot where he throws the reactor into the Pacific and wondered at the level of reconstructive surgery in play here.

Seriously, why would he say that progress in heart surgery or acupuncture is dangerous? Answer: He's not talking about that. He's talking about having "fixed" Pepper and not stopping there. He upgraded Extremis, and then he took it himself. After all, he had just witnessed Pepper kicking Killian's ass with its help, and it makes sense that he'd want that for himself, just minus the glowing and exploding bits. Which he could fix, so he did.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #674
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

After he tinkered with Extremis to cure Pepper, he said he wasn't going to stop there. I think after the final battle he injected himself with an updated version. Calling the armors a cocoon I think was his way of saying that he came out of them different and better. The last words "I am Iron Man" suggest that he's come out of that cocoon but is still Iron Man.

I think Tony is done being just a "man in a can." He's more now.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #675
Adamantium Man

^ mte.