The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,749
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yeah I don't think people here really consider Aldrich Killian as the Mandarin.
Then they're absolutely dead wrong.
It's not a matter of interpretation; Shane Black said outright that Killian is The Mandarin. Those who do not like, must learn to deal.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
Spider‑Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 53
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Given that Pearce was Killian/Mandarin, I doubt they are going to use him for Daredevil.
Normally I'm not in favor of that sort of thing either but as he is probably the most forgettable villain I've seen in a marvel film plus the fact that he'd be such a perfect fit I could accept it in this case. Hopefully marvel sees it too.

Spider‑Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

If Daredevil is going to be a part of the MCU, there is no way Guy Pearce is going to play Daredevil.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #29
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,833
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Also, I think they would go a bit younger for Daredevil.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Land of Oz, Australia
Posts: 901
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

no ones brought up the fact that theoretically he can change his appearance with extremis, next movie he might look asian lol

__________________
Jon Hamm for Frank Castle!
Joe Manganiello for Hercules
Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #31
MarvelStudios77
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

I loved the fact that they made Killian the Mandarin. They did it because it would relate to the General Movie Fan, and not just to the Readers of the Comic book, Instead of just bringing in a Super power Martial Artist with Mystical powers and magical ten rings, out of nowhere........

Remember this is a Post Avengers World, The Superheros and Shield have revealed themselves and saved the World, now it is time for the Villians to come out of the shadows.....Killian the Mandarin is only one of the first to do so.

MarvelStudios77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #32
Steamteck
Side-Kick
 
Steamteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 516
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Then they're absolutely dead wrong.
It's not a matter of interpretation; Shane Black said outright that Killian is The Mandarin. Those who do not like, must learn to deal.

True , but I can judge marvel harshly for it and lament all the lost opportunity as well as wait for positive confirmation for the next Marvel film before I see it. I'm just one person so it won't matter but that's all I really can do.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #33
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelStudios77 View Post
I loved the fact that they made Killian the Mandarin. They did it because it would relate to the General Movie Fan, and not just to the Readers of the Comic book, Instead of just bringing in a Super power Martial Artist with Mystical powers and magical ten rings, out of nowhere........

Remember this is a Post Avengers World, The Superheros and Shield have revealed themselves and saved the World, now it is time for the Villians to come out of the shadows.....Killian the Mandarin is only one of the first to do so.
Which is why I hope Killian survived. I think he's a good enough villainous alpha that he could stand as the harbinger of a new era, when those with the will to grasp for godhood have the potential to take it, and the world. . .

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #34
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 624
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Pierce was the Mandarin, and he did a great job. A final fight scene with Ben would have been weak! Even with rings. I don't think Feige planned on using Mandarin in future films ala Red Skull and Loki, so I'm totally fine with using the twist to parlay a clever, contemporary allegory on our perceptions of terrorists, and 'faces' of evil. I thought it was much better than the half-assed twist in TDKR.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
no ones brought up the fact that theoretically he can change his appearance with extremis, next movie he might look asian lol
Except that the "true" Mandarin(Killian) is dead, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Pierce was the Mandarin, and he did a great job. A final fight scene with Ben would have been weak! Even with rings. I don't think Feige planned on using Mandarin in future films ala Red Skull and Loki, so I'm totally fine with using the twist to parlay a clever, contemporary allegory on our perceptions of terrorists, and 'faces' of evil. I thought it was much better than the half-assed twist in TDKR.
Hrm....what? When a director has to twist around the canon from a previous film to make it work, that's call half-assing it. At least TDKR didn't do such with the LoS.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 624
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Except that the "true" Mandarin(Killian) is dead, lol.



Hrm....what? When a director has to twist around the canon from a previous film to make it work, that's call half-assing it. At least TDKR didn't do such with the LoS.
Except Black didn't twist around the canon. I assume your talking about the Ten Rings organization, but in no way was it altered throughout the films. It was a terrorist organization in 1,2 and 3. At no point in IM 1 or 2 did Favreau say the Mandarin was behind them, and at no point in 3 did Black say Killian(Mandarin) was behind them.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #37
Steamteck
Side-Kick
 
Steamteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 516
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Pierce was the Mandarin, and he did a great job. A final fight scene with Ben would have been weak! Even with rings. I don't think Feige planned on using Mandarin in future films ala Red Skull and Loki, so I'm totally fine with using the twist to parlay a clever, contemporary allegory on our perceptions of terrorists, and 'faces' of evil. I thought it was much better than the half-assed twist in TDKR.
The allegory left me cold.

That final fight scene was polarizing for me and my son. He loved it as much as any Marvel fight and I hated it. I was waiting the whole film for Tony to really get to do hi s Iron man stuff and this wasn't it.

The closest to being Iron man was the plane sequence and he wasn't even in the suit.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #38
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,749
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
The allegory left me cold.

That final fight scene was polarizing for me and my son. He loved it as much as any Marvel fight and I hated it. I was waiting the whole film for Tony to really get to do hi s Iron man stuff and this wasn't it.

The closest to being Iron man was the plane sequence and he wasn't even in the suit.
Um....yes....yes, he was.
Who do you think fried Coldplay Coldblood there? Or, you know, played Barrel O' Monkeys with a planeload of parachute-less passengers in midair?

You sure you actually saw the movie....?

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #39
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Except Black didn't twist around the canon. I assume your talking about the Ten Rings organization, but in no way was it altered throughout the films. It was a terrorist organization in 1,2 and 3. At no point in IM 1 or 2 did Favreau say the Mandarin was behind them, and at no point in 3 did Black say Killian(Mandarin) was behind them.
Of course I'm talking about the canon of the Ten Rings in the films, and yes, Black altered them. In IM3, we are shown a video of at least the first Extremis accident in 2009, so that would take away what the first film had the viewer believe where the Ten Rings terrorist group was an actual terrorist group that ransacked villages. Instead, Killian created such a terrorist organization once his first bad Extremis patient died, and that was created in 2009, or around the first mistake at least and there was no such actual terrorist group that ransacked villages as shown in the first film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #40
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SexyPants Land
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Um....yes....yes, he was.
Who do you think fried Coldplay Coldblood there? Or, you know, played Barrel O' Monkeys with a planeload of parachute-less passengers in midair?

You sure you actually saw the movie....?
.......and immediately after it shows him in a van wearing a VR helmet thingy. He wasn't physically in the suit, although he was controlling it.

__________________
They're comfy and easy to wear!
DareDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #41
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Um....yes....yes, he was.
Who do you think fried Coldplay Coldblood there? Or, you know, played Barrel O' Monkeys with a planeload of parachute-less passengers in midair?

You sure you actually saw the movie....?
Did you?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #42
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,212
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Except that the "true" Mandarin(Killian) is dead, lol.
Because of his Extremis-based powers there is a definite possibility that Killian survived. Prior to his being blown up by Pepper, we saw him regenerate after Tony encased him in the Mark 42 armor and destroyed it. Before that, Pepper had survived being dropped 200 feet into a burning dock. Savin had healed after being caught in Taggert's fatal explosion as well as from wounds he received while fighting Tony in Tennessee. Therefore there is no reason why Killian's survival would be absolutely out of the question, given his powers. Also, Kevin Feige stated that we will see Extremis in other films, which may or may not involve Killian's resurrection.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #43
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Because of his Extremis-based powers there is a definite possibility that Killian survived. Prior to his being blown up by Pepper, we saw him regenerate after Tony encased him in the Mark 42 armor and destroyed it. Before that, Pepper had survived being dropped 200 feet into a burning dock. Savin had healed after being caught in Taggert's fatal explosion as well as from wounds he received while fighting Tony in Tennessee. Therefore there is no reason why Killian's survival would be absolutely out of the question, given his powers. Also, Kevin Feige stated that we will see Extremis in other films, which may or may not involve Killian's resurrection.
Well my reply stemmed from a poster suggesting that Extremis could change the Mandarin's look, BUT....if what you're suggesting is true, then damnit. Let alone the Mandarin twist, but Extremis itself was something that I didn't like how it was portrayed and it's rather sometimes inconsistency. So much for the idea that the Extremis plot will be gone

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
Oscorp
Side-Kick
 
Oscorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Killian was a much better villain than Kingsley's Mandarin would've been anyway. Kingsley was just a Osama bin Laden copy and one of the least interesting villains (that is: if he actually was a super villain) I've seen in a CBM.

I can understand that lots of people are disappointed. I've never read the Iron Man comics so I didn't care too much. But I will sure as hell be angry if Green Goblin will be a transformed monster in TASM2, so I get what you guys are saying. But for me, Kingsley's Mandarin was a boring cliché so I was very happy it ended up the way it did.

__________________
Yeah they should just cancel the films and not even bother and spend the budget on building a giant statue of toby macguire instead!
-BRAB

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,027
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

I admire that they took a risk, but for me it really backfired on them. Is the heavy comedic tone going to be in all future MCU Movies now?

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #46
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Killian was a much better villain than Kingsley's Mandarin would've been anyway. Kingsley was just a Osama bin Laden copy and one of the least interesting villains (that is: if he actually was a super villain) I've seen in a CBM.

I can understand that lots of people are disappointed. I've never read the Iron Man comics so I didn't care too much. But I will sure as hell be angry if Green Goblin will be a transformed monster in TASM2, so I get what you guys are saying. But for me, Kingsley's Mandarin was a boring cliché so I was very happy it ended up the way it did.
The bold is what made me actually enjoy Kingsley's Mandarin from the jump. An actual terrorist that feels more real than what we saw in Nolan's trilogy like Ra's, Talia, Bane and the LoS because it wasn't some actual ninja clan, or the continuation of such ninja clan but actual terrorism that feels like the real world....then it all goes into shambles. I would've loved to see an IM3 without Killian and without Extremis. Use Ghost that wipes out all technology for the Ten Rings as they run havoc in the United States and most of the armors are wipe out except the Mark I where Stark has to use that junky armor against the Ten Rings and finally, Kingsley's Mandarin

But, if not that even, there is one article that had a "What If?" storyline that I really liked as well where they actually bring in magic and Mandarin has ten magic rings. That sounded better than what we actually got as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I admire that they took a risk, but for me it really backfired on them. Is the heavy comedic tone going to be in all future MCU Movies now?
I definitely hope not.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #47
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I admire that they took a risk, but for me it really backfired on them. Is the heavy comedic tone going to be in all future MCU Movies now?
Not necessarily, but of the 12 MCU announced movies (both past and future) from Iron Man to Ant-Man, 9 of them have directors who have helmed features with comedic tones. Favreau, Branagh, Whedon, Black, the Russos, Gunn, and Wright all have infused certain levels of humor in their past projects, but I would chalk up the "heavy" comedic tone to Black's script more than any type of studio-led direction for the MCU.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #48
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,027
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

After Iron Man 3 I'm not so sure that Marvel/Disney could do a better job at handling the other properties. If they're meant to do justice to the comics then why did they change the mandarin into a complete joke?

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
After Iron Man 3 I'm not so sure that Marvel/Disney could do a better job at handling the other properties. If they're meant to do justice to the comics then why did they change the mandarin into a complete joke?
Pretty sure it's been explained over and over for the past nearly two months now by IM3-supporters. I would look back at their responses as well as some of the interviews that Shane Black and Drew Pearce have done where they mention the twist.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #50
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,833
Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Not necessarily, but of the 12 MCU announced movies (both past and future) from Iron Man to Ant-Man, 9 of them have directors who have helmed features with comedic tones. Favreau, Branagh, Whedon, Black, the Russos, Gunn, and Wright all have infused certain levels of humor in their past projects, but I would chalk up the "heavy" comedic tone to Black's script more than any type of studio-led direction for the MCU.
Plus personally speaking, I love that the Marvel films are shying away from being 100% all grim and serious. I like seeing levity in comic book movies, the Nolan stuff burned me out of the grimngritty.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.