Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #976
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
She has, and it was a hit, despite terrible reviews.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...fthestreet.htm
Not to mention The Hunger Games. She may not be the sole protagonist but Lawrence as Katniss is certainly the main draw for about 95% of the viewing audience for that franchise.

Also, Silver Linings Playbook - I mean, she did just win the best actress Oscar not even five months ago. So to say Lawrence can't carry a movie or be a main draw for one is really silly. She may not be at her peak yet but she has certainly arrived on the scene and established her star power.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #977
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
She has, and it was a hit, despite terrible reviews.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...fthestreet.htm
Not familiar with this film, Had no idea she was in it. Terrible reviews eh? I wonder why she did it? I know it was before a huge stardom but still why do it?

It had a budget of 10 million dollars and made a worldwide gross of 39 million which is a profit of 29 million. That's nothing to be scoffed at. I guess she is bankable but not on the scale of say fellow castmate Halle Berry woman hasn't really had a break in years but her recent film The Call, had abudget of 13 million and has grossed to date over 50 million in just domestic returns. That is what I call bankable but you are right JLaw is definitely bankable especially when you take into account that this was before a huge stardom (i think, it is right? It must be If I hadn't heard about it before)

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 05-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #978
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Not to mention The Hunger Games. She may not be the sole protagonist but Lawrence as Katniss is certainly the main draw for about 95% of the viewing audience for that franchise.

Also, Silver Linings Playbook - I mean, she did just win the best actress Oscar not even five months ago. So to say Lawrence can't carry a movie or be a main draw for one is really silly. She may not be at her peak yet but she has certainly arrived on the scene and established her star power.
I already stated why I din't include The Hunger Games. THG was what brought her into stardom and she was not the reason the movie made so much money. It's like saying Hugh was a star and carried the first X-Men movie when of the lot he was probably the most unknown with both Patrick Stewart and Halle Berry much more familiar with audiences. Just because you part of a successful movie does not make you the reason the movie was successful. Which is what 'carrying' a movie means.

Also just because you are an Oscar winner doesn't make you a bankable star. Mira Sorvino won an Oscar you know. Don't see her carrying big budget movies and drawing audiences.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #979
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Then why are there only four returning First Class actors? I'm not saying you're wrong -- but it doesn't make much sense based on what we know so far.
1) Because the four returning were arguably the four main leads from the first movie? Not to mention, since we know there's a 10 year span between this and First Class - who knows what happened?

2) We've been told repeatedly the bulk of the story takes place in 1973, so that would mean the returning characters are probably playing roles maybe a little bigger than cameos but certainly not starring, lead character roles like they did in their original movies.

It's also already been said that the focus is still squarely on the First Class actors by many people from the production.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #980
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
It's also already been said that the focus is still squarely on the First Class actors by many people from the production.

well that's unfortunate.
take McAvoy and Fassbender and ditch the rest, start over with a new "class"

Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #981
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
1) Because the four returning were arguably the four main leads from the first movie? Not to mention, since we know there's a 10 year span between this and First Class - who knows what happened?

2) We've been told repeatedly the bulk of the story takes place in 1973, so that would mean the returning characters are probably playing roles maybe a little bigger than cameos but certainly not starring, lead character roles like they did in their original movies.

1) Obviously they were the main four leads. I'm asking why they are the ONLY ones from that movie returning. I would argue that Havok, Banshee, and Emma Frost clearly still had parts to play. Those four cannot comprise the entire lead cast, not in a movie like this. Especially when only TWO of those characters are X-Men. X2 didn't get rid of more than half the cast from X1.

2) That's not what I've been consistently hearing. I've never heard anyone on the production say the focus is "squarely on the First Class actors." In fact, what I've heard from people on the production is that Hugh Jackman has a very sizable role and that time travel/displacement is the crux of the story. Sounds like a LOT more than a cameo.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #982
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
1)
Where have you heard that?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #983
conan69
Cimmerian

Has this been posted yet?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #984
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I'm going take some time to try and find it but it was posted in either the McAvoy or Fassbender thread. I distinctly remember reading it back when they started casting the original actors and people here started to complain that the First Class cast would be overshadowed.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #985
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm going take some time to try and find it but it was posted in either the McAvoy or Fassbender thread. I distinctly remember reading it back when they started casting the original actors and people here started to complain that the First Class cast would be overshadowed.
Ok, thanks. I find that very curious. Hopefully we still have decent roles for most of the OT cast.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #986
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Actual no official or leaked word has come over size of anyone roles.

If Fox,Donnor,and Singer thought the future of franchise was In First Class cast they would have keep returning cast members to Xavier,Magneto,Wolverine,and eather rogue or kitty.All the X_Men and brotherhood from first class would be returning.There would Intorduce a new X_Man In 1973.They would have time travel be like In comic and be a mind switch and keep OT cast members In a few scenes In future.Plus we wouldn't be hearing this correcting things talk from Bryan.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #987
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Actual no official or leaked word has come over size of anyone roles.

If Fox,Donnor,and Singer thought the future of franchise was In First Class cast they would have keep returning cast members to Xavier,Magneto,Wolverine,and eather rogue or kitty.All the X_Men and brotherhood from first class would be returning.There would Intorduce a new X_Man In 1973.They would have time travel be like In comic and be a mind switch and keep OT cast members In a few scenes In future.Plus we wouldn't be hearing this correcting things talk from Bryan.
Agreed, but I'd go one step further and say if the future of the franchise was in First Class, we wouldn't have Days of Future Past at all. IMO.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #988
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

@Cherry

Agreed.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #989
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Then why are there only four returning First Class actors? I'm not saying you're wrong -- but it doesn't make much sense based on what we know so far.
Because they're the ones Singer wanted and fit into what story they're going for.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #990
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

I do find it humorous that the First Class characters that are left consist of Xavier and Magneto and their plucky blue side kicks.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #991
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

lol.

They're pretty much the best FC characters.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #992
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

I wanted more Banshee

Free Original Music
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #993
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

LOL @ the last few pages. I seriously couldn't read all of them to catch up with the discussion.

But bottom-line is, the important thing about making these movies are earning money $$$. Box-office numbers proved that the Original trilogy are more successful than First Class especially if you adjust the ticket prices. X-Men: Days of Future Past wouldn't get a lot of hype and buzz if it wasn't for the actors of the original trilogy coming back. The general audience are more familiar and interested with the original cast and the characters that they are portraying and thats why after DOFP, they need to move on with them in the 8th X-Men film.

Even if James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult and Jennifer Lawrence don't return for another movie it wouldn't hurt the next film, since the audience know that they are from the "past" and FC was a prequel. As long as they have Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman and the other cast members of Days of Future Past/Original trilogy returning for the 8th X-Men movie and they include new cast members, the movie would still be successful.

But if the 8th X-Men movie just consists of returning cast members like Mcavoy, Fassbender, Hoult and Lawrence and they don't bring back the OT cast. This franchise would lose the momentum that they will get from DOFP.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #994
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

The thing is Fassbender, Hoult, and Lawrence have all become quite a lot bigger names since First Class. Fassbender had Prometheus (basically the only thing everyone could agree worked in that film), Hoult had Warm Bodies (which did modest, but was very popular amongst the tweens) and Lawrence has an Oscar and the Hunger Games. The only one who seems to be staying under the radar is McAvoy, and he was arguably the biggest name going in.

So, I don't buy that they couldn't have pushed a successful sequel on their own. But yes, undoubtedly Jackman and Berry will be increasing ticket sales.

Free Original Music
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #995
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
Has this been posted yet?

WHY IS HE NOT BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!?!?!??!!?!?!??!?!

Seriously, how is Hank Normal. I just.... I don't even understand this.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #996
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I don't either...what gives?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #997
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
The thing is Fassbender, Hoult, and Lawrence have all become quite a lot bigger names since First Class. Fassbender had Prometheus (basically the only thing everyone could agree worked in that film), Hoult had Warm Bodies (which did modest, but was very popular amongst the tweens) and Lawrence has an Oscar and the Hunger Games. The only one who seems to be staying under the radar is McAvoy, and he was arguably the biggest name going in.

So, I don't buy that they couldn't have pushed a successful sequel on their own. But yes, undoubtedly Jackman and Berry will be increasing ticket sales.
It doesn't matter since the general audience are still more familiar with the original cast portraying these X-Men characters than McAvoy, Fassbender, Hoult and Lawrence. Also, Hugh Jackman was nominated for Oscars this year and will headline his own movie, Halle Berry is still a favorite of the tabloids and the movie that she headlined this year did well, Ellen Page had Inception/Oscars nomination in the past, Anna Paquin still has True Blood. And it doesn't matter if Shawn/Daniel aren't big stars since they weren't big stars before. Then if they include Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and James Marsden in the 8th X-Men film, that will be a plus.

And yes, they could push a successful sequel on their own than the cast of First Class cast. They already did that before with X2 and X3. Hugh Jackman already headlined his own Wolverine movie before (and that did well better than First Class) and he will headline another Wolverine movie this year. So who's to say that they can do a X-Men movie on their own. And don't forget they always include new cast members in every X-Me movie. They might ditch First Class' core 4 to someone bigger.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #998
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
I wanted more Banshee
Me too

Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #999
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Here's a tweet from someone who saw the DoFP pre-viz...

roy burdine ‏@rbtoons

Yeah, I cant say anything but I'll just say it looks BIG, Avengers style big. Cool FX sequences.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #1000
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I cant say anything but I'll just say it looks BIG, Avengers style big. Cool FX sequences.
Quote:
@rbtoons Thanks for telling! now we are a bit more excited. Lets hope Rogue has a great physical part, same as Iceman and Colossus.

@X4Campaign Def saw them all in there! And LOTS more mutants from the comics.
Interesting.

Closed Thread