The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #426
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 1

Sony needs marketing that gets across "HEY WOMEN BUY THIS THING BECAUSE <SHOW REASONS>."

That's how the Wii and Kinect Xbox got really big in the U.S. and U.K.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #427
Havok83
Side-Kick

their biggest target audience is males so their primary promotion is going to bee aimed towards them and really it should be. The Wii and Kinect seemed to have broader appeal and sold alot of units but its not like they sold alot of software, bc that audience was more content with the few gimmicky games which were pushed and werent getting the latest new retail releases every month. With the Wii, it tended to always be the same games at the top of the system's sales (Wii Party, Wii Fit, Mario Galaxy, etc...), even years after release. Software is the main source of revenue, not hardware and its males that are buying the most games

Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #428
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Yeah those gamers who buy hardly any games and don't sign up for any services aren't really making the manufacturer money while the base console is still expensive to produce so no need to focus on them too much.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #429
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
their biggest target audience is males so their primary promotion is going to bee aimed towards them and really it should be. The Wii and Kinect seemed to have broader appeal and sold alot of units but its not like they sold alot of software, bc that audience was more content with the few gimmicky games which were pushed and werent getting the latest new retail releases every month. With the Wii, it tended to always be the same games at the top of the system's sales (Wii Party, Wii Fit, Mario Galaxy, etc...), even years after release. Software is the main source of revenue, not hardware and its males that are buying the most games
Agreed, which is why a lot of third parties either shyed away, or put out shovelware on the Wii. Nintendo may have laughed all the way to the bank carting wheel barrels of cash. The big sellers for the system year one were pretty much the same big sellers year five, which were mainly Nintendo titles. Meanwhile 3rd party games flopped for the most part. PS3, and 360 got the cream of the crop, because the crowds they bring in buy multiple games, and are more willing to take chances on offbeat, non AAA games (see Heavy Rain).

This probably is also why 3rd parties are so gun shy about the Wii-U this time. Somewhere around 3-5 big 3rd party developers have already stated that they either can't afford to spend time developing for it, it needs to sell more, or Nintendo isn't working with them enough. I think they're thinking back to their sales during the Wii's lifetime, and are hesitant.

Anyway, as to the point of why you guys were even saying this. Selling a bunch of hardware is nice, but it doesn't always equal phenomenal sales. Chances are both Sony and MS are going to be taking a small hit at first on each console sold. Like Havok and Iceman are saying, software is the money maker. They can appeal all they want to various demographics, they always have, but they pretty much need the hardcore crowd as a backbone.

The Wii's casual grab was only incredibly profitable because Nintendo builds their systems to be sold for a profit. The main console is profitable, then you need three extra Wiimotes, the various peripherals (Wii+, boards, ect), all of which rakes in the dough for Nintendo. Even before taking in software sales, most of which again, go to Nintendo because their first party games are what sell. If the PS4 and Xbox infinity cater to the same crowd as the Wii, and just end up selling hardware, they may actually take a hit in the short term. (i.e. Selling a $475 console for $400, and not making enough on software to offset the balance). In the long run though, as prices drop, obviously the more homes it's in the better.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #430
TX85
Jolly

Reading the PS4 articles on the latest GameInformer magazine issue,A whole lot of pages and so is there any new info besides the games or it's just a recap from the PS4 reveal in February with new game info??

Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #431
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Pretty much a recap from what I read.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #432
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Do you think Sony has learned some lessons from the PS3 from a hardware, cooling, durability standpoint with the construction of the PS4?

I'm considering buying the PS4 but should I wait until after a year or so when they maybe start making more efficient models? I only say this cause my original 60gb PS3 got the YLOD after about 3 years. Yes, I took very good care of it and yes I'm aware that all electronics have the ability to crap out. But the issue with the 'fat' PS3 models seemed to be a little more than just the 'oh electronics break all the time' motif...in my opinion of course. I know several friends that had the same issues along with several coworkers. Anyways, back to my original question...will the PS4 be a sturdier design?

Edit: I currently own a slim model that's about 3 1/2 years old and still going strong. So there's been some hardware improvements I believe. This is still new ground with the PS4...I wonder if there will be any advancements with the design construction or will they be back to square one.

Last edited by UltimateWebhead; 05-16-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #433
TX85
Jolly

Yes I do

Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #434
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

I think Sony learned from past mistakes. A little to early to say "I fully believe they have" but..They don't see a way that they COULDN'T have learned anything...

Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #435
Soapy
It's happening again...

They way they've been presenting themselves thus far says to me they've learned their lesson. Only time will I guess though.

For what it's worth, Jeff from Gaint Bomb said that for a long while preceding the PS4 announcement the press had been hearing bits and pieces about some kind of internal faction warfare going on at Sony regarding the direction of their next console and that he felt "the right people had won." So make of that what you will.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #436
TX85
Jolly

I doubt Uncharted 4 will be a launch title But what about Little Big Planet 3/Mod Nation Racers 2 or Resistance 3???

Old 05-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #437
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I think Hippie Hunter said the Resistance series is cancelled with Sony focusing on Killzone as their premier shooter exclusive. Could see that being a launch or close-to-launch title.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #438
WolfCypher
I wanna pack of wolves!

Killzone most definitely. I think that's the most brought up PS4 game Sony refers to, and it could be their attempt at winning over FPS-whores.

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #439
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I think Hippie Hunter said the Resistance series is cancelled with Sony focusing on Killzone as their premier shooter exclusive. Could see that being a launch or close-to-launch title.
Resistance isn't "cancelled". That doesn't even make sense. There's nothing to say that Resistance wont get a new entry announced at some point within the next year. Id imagine at Gamescom this summer or by next year's E3

Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #440
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Ted Price said they wouldn't be making any more Resistance games. For a company that has made precisely 30 billion Ratchet and Clank games I'd say that's pretty final.

Resistance 3 is genuinely one of the best shooters this generation but I don't see the need to continue the franchise out of this generation. Let it be one of the PS3's great trilogies and leave it at that.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #441
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
Ted Price said they wouldn't be making any more Resistance games. For a company that has made precisely 30 billion Ratchet and Clank games I'd say that's pretty final.

Resistance 3 is genuinely one of the best shooters this generation but I don't see the need to continue the franchise out of this generation. Let it be one of the PS3's great trilogies and leave it at that.
Insomniac doesnt have to be the only studio to make the series. Besides as recently as last week Ted Price seemed to back away from his original statement a little bit. Im sure if Fuse doesnt do well, he may consider going back to the series

Quote:
When asked again about the future of Resistance by a fan, Price was touched by the fan's love of the series, but said, "We probably won't go back to it. However I'll never rule out the possibility." He conclude: "I've learned that with some things it's good to leave doors slightly open."
http://www.psu.com/a019376/Could-Res...-Price-answers

That doesnt sound final to me and he definetly left it open that his team may do one.

Last edited by Havok83; 05-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #442
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Insomniac may be willing to go back to Resistance, but Sony appears to be done with it. Resistance 3 didn't sell very well and Resistance: Burning Skies was a complete and total mess. Sony has even confirmed that they don't have any real plans to continue with the series. Daniel Brooke from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe had this to say:

Quote:
The Resistance franchise has been exciting to work on, but as for the future we have no definitive plans.
Sony wouldn't be saying that if they didn't retire the Resistance IP. Maybe they'll go back to it someday, but you can join the people who are waiting for MediEvil III, Syphon Filter 7, and ModNation Racers 2. And why should Sony continue to devote resources to Resistance when Killzone is the series with the bigger fanbase, better acclaim, etc. It would be better to just treat Killzone as the premier FPS game for the PlayStation brand to compete with Xbox's Halo as opposed to having two FPS games where one gets acclaim but is distracted by another series that only a few people love.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #443
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I definitely think when it comes to exclusives it's better for Sony to have an Uncharted than 2 exclusives which are not quite as good. I doubt many will buy a console for Resistance but if they can get Killzone to a Halo size fanbase one day it will be a better use of resources. Although I'd personally like to have all of them to play.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #444
Havok83
Side-Kick

Daniel Brooke said that a year ago. Thats not a recent quote. Just bc there were no current plans for it back then, doesnt mean there hasnt been any consideration since. I wouldnt be surprised if the series turned up for the PS4 and I definetly wouldnt rule it out

Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #445
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

So.. So they have next to no interest in returning to one of the most boring, bland and brown shooters ever created?

Shocker.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #446
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Daniel Brooke said that a year ago. Thats not a recent quote. Just bc there were no current plans for it back then, doesnt mean there hasnt been any consideration since. I wouldnt be surprised if the series turned up for the PS4 and I definetly wouldnt rule it out
What would make Sony change their minds though? Why would Sony return to an underperforming shooter when they can focus entirely on the better selling and better acclaimed Killzone?

Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #447
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
What would make Sony change their minds though? Why would Sony return to an underperforming shooter when they can focus entirely on the better selling and better acclaimed Killzone?
Variety? R3 didn't do as well as expected but both R1 and R2 both sold relatively well for them. If all they ever focus on now is KZ then I will reach a point where they beat it into the ground. Besides its not a franchise that gets a release every year like CoD and it shouldn't. Resistance is an FPS for them that they can push out in between KZ releases. Besides that's even if they were to continue it as a FPS. Retribution showed that it can exist as a competent third person shooter. They've invested a lot in that universe and created quite a lore to just abandon it for good.

Last edited by Havok83; 05-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #448
Fading
>:(

I'm not huge on FPS's right now, but I'd rather they just start another FPS series. I feel Resistance ran it's course. I liked 1 & 2, and liked the setting, but I'm not sure the series has much more to contribute. They'd be better off (IMO) just starting a new franchise to see if it can stick better than Resistance, which has been sinking slowly. Killzone covers for the loss of Resistance pretty well. Personally, I feel as if the series took a wrong turn after the first game. As much as I liked the second game, especially the co-op, it felt like it lost some of it's soul. At this point I'd rather they do something new than try to course correct Resistance.

If they want to cover their bases against Halo, they can always try to match it with a futuristic sci-fi shooter. Then of course also keep Killzone while trying to boos it to another level as the premiere PS shooter. A new console offers opportunities to bring out new franchises that couldn't have happened on older hardware. I'd like to see new franchises born, made to take advantage of the new hardware right off the bat, than to shoe horn older series in for nostalgia sake. Not that I'm saying Havok's saying that as I'm just kinda veering off a bit. I guess I just don't think Resistance is worth the effort in trying to save it over putting the team on something new, tailor made for nextgen.

Last edited by Fading; 05-20-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #449
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #450
TX85
Jolly

Seems about PS3 slim(first one)'s size

Closed Thread