The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #476
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Default Re: Arrow General Discussion Thread - Part 5

I don't think Malcolm is as dead as they'd like for us to think.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #477
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Anyone else feel that their somewhat open ending was unintentional? Since the mid-season finale, the list has been having less impact on each episode's main plot. It seems like they mainly created the concept of it because they didn't have too many ideas for villains in the beginning so the list would be their go-to place until they formulated some ideas for other villains and stories. Episode by episode, it got smaller thematically and they seemed to get more ideas. We've been getting more and more standard superhero stories with Ollie going up against a "rogues gallery" he's been slowly getting. To me, it seems like once they reached that point, they got lost in the fun they were having with Vertigo, Deadshot, and the rest. Then 3 episodes ago, they realized that they had to wrap up everything with the list and the undertaking and they kinda rushed through it. These past 3 episodes felt rushed to me - not rushed in the sense of their pacing but rushed in the sense that it didn't seem like they could completely wrap up everything in 3 episodes, which is possibly why there is so much we don't know of what happened after by the end. I understand ending things on a cliffhanger but the cliffhanger they did doesn't feel like a natural cliffhanger but like a "we ran out of time!" cliffhanger. They should've at least had like a next-day 30 second news report that wrapped up all the events IMO.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #478
georgec
Not a hero

Poor Tommy.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #479
Cory
Side-Kick

it's funny... Oliver has all sorts of cool devices, cool arrows, but only has 1 main bow...with his backup bow being a souvenir from the island.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #480
DrDoom
Dictator

Got reminded of Avengers when Merlin caught the arrow only for it to explode; so not only are they stealing from the Nolan trilogy, NOW they are taking from Marvel's movies!

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #481
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Got reminded of Avengers when Merlin caught the arrow only for it to explode; so not only are they stealing from the Nolan trilogy, NOW they are taking from Marvel's movies!
To be fair, a similar thing happened in a Superman/Batman arc, where Green Arrow shot a kryptonite laced exploding arrow at Superman. And that was years before The Avengers, so...

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 05-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #482
Cory
Side-Kick

Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #483
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Curious, after seeing on how they fight, who do you guys think would be stronger in combat between Slade Wilson and Malcom in Arrow's continuity?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #484
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I don't think we can really judge who's stronger. I think we've only seen Slade fight someone one on one, once. Most of the time he was sniping people or taking them down with surprise and sneak attacks. But Malcolm sure is one tough mofo. Loved how he took on Ollie and Diggle at the same time.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #485
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
To be fair, a similar thing happened in a Superman/Batman arc, where Green Arrow shot a kryptonite laced exploding arrow at Superman. And that was years before The Avengers, so...
That arc was the return of the dark knight I think it came out sometime in the mid 80's.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #486
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Nice episode. Tommy is the worst victim in the history of victims.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #487
p4poetic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Curious, after seeing on how they fight, who do you guys think would be stronger in combat between Slade Wilson and Malcom in Arrow's continuity?
It would be pretty close, but I think Slade would win in the end. It's hard to say, both Manu and John are beasts and put their absolute all into fight scenes.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #488
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
That arc was the return of the dark knight I think it came out sometime in the mid 80's.
Even better.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #489
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Anyone else feel that their somewhat open ending was unintentional? Since the mid-season finale, the list has been having less impact on each episode's main plot. It seems like they mainly created the concept of it because they didn't have too many ideas for villains in the beginning so the list would be their go-to place until they formulated some ideas for other villains and stories. Episode by episode, it got smaller thematically and they seemed to get more ideas. We've been getting more and more standard superhero stories with Ollie going up against a "rogues gallery" he's been slowly getting. To me, it seems like once they reached that point, they got lost in the fun they were having with Vertigo, Deadshot, and the rest. Then 3 episodes ago, they realized that they had to wrap up everything with the list and the undertaking and they kinda rushed through it. These past 3 episodes felt rushed to me - not rushed in the sense of their pacing but rushed in the sense that it didn't seem like they could completely wrap up everything in 3 episodes, which is possibly why there is so much we don't know of what happened after by the end. I understand ending things on a cliffhanger but the cliffhanger they did doesn't feel like a natural cliffhanger but like a "we ran out of time!" cliffhanger. They should've at least had like a next-day 30 second news report that wrapped up all the events IMO.
Not really, they actually knew really early they were getting a second season. Plus they couldnt wrap everything up because I'm sure they want to touch on the ramifications of what happened next season.

As I was saying in the review thread, a villain like brick, slowly taking control of the destroyed glades would make sense.

As for the list a villains. I'm sure they were concerned with Green Arrow's rogues gallery, but IMO, they made the Dark Archer character far more interesting in the show than in the comics. Creating that history between the family's was a really great idea.

I'm also looking forward to see if they incorporate some of the stuff from the current run from Lemire because it feels like he is creating a bigger universe for green arrow with some great villains that he sorely is in need of.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #490
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Im hoping they do a batman: TAS style clock king next season. I think a mathematic savant turned bank thief would make a great villain for arrow.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #491
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Whoever is the man who turned Malcom into what he is , is gonna be coming to Starling City. When he does Ollie is not gonna have enough arrows in his quiver to handle that guy alone.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #492
Nathan

Didn't they tease that Ra's taught him? Not outright spelling it out, but dropping enough hints that fans would get it. If that's the case, he's off limits. Besides, he'd be more concerned about Gotham anyway.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #493
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

They could bringin Kobra cult as well. It would be awesome to see arrow taking on some psycho cult filled with snake fetishists lol. You bring in copperhead as a member too.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #494
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Wow, that was a really good episode. Can season 2 start next week?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #495
Nathan

I wonder how Season 2 will start. With Malcolm immediately going for revenge, taking Thea hostage, resulting in Roy and Thea discovering Oliver's secret identity?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #496
Justin
Side-Kick

I didn't find it quite as open ended as some do here. It resolved most of what I wanted resolved while keeping open some things to advance next season.

Malcolm is either alive, or he's dead. If he's dead then thats it. If he's alive then he likely starts next season in jail. As does Moira if she's still in the show (can't see any reason she wouldn't be, she confessed and Ollie would probably visit her). Ollie will finally have his own place! Walter is probably gone, he did his job and did it well.

Felicity and Roy are signed up as S2 regulars so they are both alive. Surprised Roy didn't meet the vigilante, but a slow build to that is good. Maybe Roy will become a hero in his own right before they finally join.

Tommy dying means Ollie/Laurel is likely to be messed up a little so they can continue the will they won't they melodrama for a bit longer. It's also a step towards Black Canary.

The 3 on the island will be meeting stilletto lady at some point. People expect it to be China White but Ollie hadn't met her before currrent day so maybe a new villain for that arc. Was great to see Ollie's first kill with the bow.

The state of the city is going to give rise to a lot of crime I should imagine, so Ollie's "stop the undertaking then I'm done" isn't going to happen. Detective Lance now knows Felicity works for the vigilante, and that the vigilante is the good guy, so thats a new dynamic for them.

Helena, China White, Deadshot are still at large. Theres still a police leak. Vertigo is still in the asylum and Vanch and the dodger are locked up, so they have a lot of episode fillers there.

I thought it was a great ending personally. Sad to see Tommy go, but he went out the right way. Better to die a hero than live long enough to see yourself become the villain as they say

Last edited by Justin; 05-16-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #497
MCU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
Whoever is the man who turned Malcom into what he is , is gonna be coming to Starling City. When he does Ollie is not gonna have enough arrows in his quiver to handle that guy alone.
Ra's Al Ghul is the person that turned Malcom into who he is. Watch the episode again wher Merlin says he went somewhere and someone taught him, its a tease toward Ra's Al Ghul.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #498
Donut
Side-Kick

Good finale

Last edited by Donut; 05-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #499
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I don't think Malcolm is as dead as they'd like for us to think.
So you're saying he might only be a little dead?

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #500
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
So you're saying he might only be a little dead?
Maybe he's dead, just not as dead as Tommy.

Closed Thread