The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #51
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Was talking to a friend and he seems to be under the belief that Snyder and co have merged the power of super speed and flight and made it one. He thinks Superman wont have super speed unless he is flying. If that is the case how do you guys feel about it? I personally don't like it but hold out hope as its just mere speculation.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #52
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

@Walmart
Quote:
@Walmart Thanks for alerting us! We're sorry if this still was, in fact, not exclusive. We're investigating now, stay tuned!

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #53
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post
It's too freaking early for me to be laughing this hard.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #54
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I still can't believe that there was a time where I was worried that the film would feel too small scaled with the speculated budget of an 175 million only and how we didn't really hear that much of them filming on location, but wow after seeing more footage and hearing more, they really went all out on this one.
The 175 m figure is most likely correct. The rumour is that Snyder got an increase of about 25-45 m in the production budget after concept arts were shown whereby an increase in GCI cost, maybe set, costume & additional location shots will need to be met. Any extra cost will be for post-converting to 3D on WB's order. I don't think that we will ever know the exact production budget.

I don't think that 175 m is small scale. Any film budget over 150 m is deemed to be "big budget".

Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #55
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Just won movie tickets via the norton website yay!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #56
RichardMoore
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Was talking to a friend and he seems to be under the belief that Snyder and co have merged the power of super speed and flight and made it one. He thinks Superman wont have super speed unless he is flying. If that is the case how do you guys feel about it? I personally don't like it but hold out hope as its just mere speculation.
He's shown using his super speed on the ground in the trailer.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #57
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
The 175 m figure is most likely correct. The rumour is that Snyder got an increase of about 25-45 m in the production budget after concept arts were shown whereby an increase in GCI cost, maybe set, costume & additional location shots will need to be met. Any extra cost will be for post-converting to 3D on WB's order. I don't think that we will ever know the exact production budget.
That’s the case for many movies. BO #s are reported by independent organizations; so we don’t have to take the studio’s word. But getting reliable info on a budget is hit-and-miss. Sometimes, a producer will mention a figure during an interview, and this is re-quoted and taken as gospel. Also - technically - a budget is the planned expense. But if the movie goes over by, say, $30M, the original "budget" (not the actual cost) might still be cited.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #58
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Kind of cool. Today, Michael Shannon is calling into my local Classic Rock radio station today to promote The Iceman. Hopefully, he'll talk about MOS.

I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #59
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Makes zero sense to me. Why would he only be able to go fast when he's flying?

Anyway, as mentioned above, he's already been shown using it on the ground. Yes, technically he is launching himself in that clip but he reacts to the weapons behind him at superspeed while he's still very much planted on the ground.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #60
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Thatís the case for many movies. BO #s are reported by independent organizations; so we donít have to take the studioís word. But getting reliable info on a budget is hit-and-miss. Sometimes, a producer will mention a figure during an interview, and this is re-quoted and taken as gospel. Also - technically - a budget is the planned expense. But if the movie goes over by, say, $30M, the original "budget" (not the actual cost) might still be cited.
I concurred with you. I'm just not sure whether the rumoured increase was after Snyder was hired and maybe Nolan? & the other two producers (the two wives) with their collective influences got the increased budget.

And maybe Jon Peters asked them for some toys... Afterall, there are many toys and merchandising stuffs out there,so Jon Peters will be a very rich man!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #61
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Hopefully, that toy line will include spider robots.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #62
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Hopefully, that toy line will include spider robots.
Haha...actually, there are some Black Zero spacecraft toys out there, so a subsitute for spider-robot.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #63
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

So where does the 170mil budget come from? Has that increased or is that just fanspeak?

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #64
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Darkseid is out though-Thanks to the Goddamn Justice League.
Everything about Darksied for JLA seems kinda dumb to me. First it's going to solidify the Avengers(rip off) comparisons the GA already has. Secondly, it shows the same go to and lack of real vision I've been seeing in John's recent work. Thirdly, there are some other options.
If DC had their **** together Legion of Doom type of situation would be the ultimate trump card to whatever alien invasion Avengers is no doubt going up against next. If only we had seen legitimate DC villains on screen up to this point. What's more fun than seeing heroes cross over than seeing their villains do it too. Enter Superman vs Sinestro.

If Heath was still around this would be a no brainer.

I'm just against the Darksied/JLA scenario. If they could have a Darkseid superman scenario I'd be down, like in the early STAS. That would be "big thinking"

Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #65
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMoore View Post
He's shown using his super speed on the ground in the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Makes zero sense to me. Why would he only be able to go fast when he's flying?

Anyway, as mentioned above, he's already been shown using it on the ground. Yes, technically he is launching himself in that clip but he reacts to the weapons behind him at superspeed while he's still very much planted on the ground.
That looked like flight to me fellas, it was flying at really fast speed to avoid the bullets.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #66
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

I would understand it in a purely stylistic choice, that he could be would need to or be shown superspeeding. Beacuse that's all Welling did...was run fast in a blur, and yes it looked lame.

Admittedly it's harder to make running at super speed look cool, what would they do speed up someone running normally? (like S:TM) or make time go really slow while he's running normally? (like smallville)

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #67
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Doesn't sound too crazy actually. People will say: "Why doesn't he do EVERYTHING in superspeed mode if it's not exclusive to flight. ?"

Eh, kids these days.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #68
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I would understand it in a purely stylistic choice, that he could be would need to or be shown superspeeding. Beacuse that's all Welling did...was run fast in a blur, and yes it looked lame.

Admittedly it's harder to make running at super speed look cool, what would they do speed up someone running normally? (like S:TM) or make time go really slow while he's running normally? (like smallville)
Which is why I think the Flash is problematic. A one-time stunt/effect might look neat. But if thatís all the character can doÖ

Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #69
Smallville13
Side-Kick

It's hard to really conceptualize where they could go with the JLA or a sequel without seeing the film. Thinking about what Damon Lindelof said recently about how if Man of Steel works it will be easy to see how Paradise Island fits into that world. But to be honest I'm not really sure...

The world Snyder has created looks very malleable and real. Look at the Smallville shots, it's very real-world Americana Kansas. I'm not sure how you go about debasing it from reality even more to accommodate Greek gods and Amazonian warrior women training on an island.

I think that by basing the film very much in reality and from human perspective is where all the incredulous superhuman feats will have even more weight and effect onscreen.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #70
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
It's hard to really conceptualize where they could go with the JLA or a sequel without seeing the film. Thinking about what Damon Lindelof said recently about how if Man of Steel works it will be easy to see how Paradise Island fits into that world. But to be honest I'm not really sure...

The world Snyder has created looks very malleable and real. Look at the Smallville shots, it's very real-world Americana Kansas. I'm not sure how you go about debasing it from reality even more to accommodate Greek gods and Amazonian warrior women training on an island.

I think that by basing the film very much in reality and from human perspective is where all the incredulous superhuman feats will have even more weight and effect onscreen.
At this point, I'm not listening to anything he says. He's been pretty bad as of late and from what I've heard of Trek...it gets a whole lot worse.

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #71
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Dang! Beat me to it.
My 2 cents anyways:

Damon Lindelof () on the JLA movie and tone of Man of Steel

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...league-problem
Quote:
Lindelof goes on to say he thinks Man of Steel should be a PG movie rather than the PG-13 that it has wound up with.
"In the spirit of not throwing stones from the glass house in which one resides, the same should be said of Star Trek," he says...Donnerís Superman is a very adult movie. It doesnít feel like itís being whitewashed or watered down in any way. It feels real, cool, fun, escapist and upbeat. The larger thing for Man of Steel, is like, 'Yes, we all are consuming darker stories.' Again, glass house. But itís like, 'Is there any way we can get the word dark in it?'"
Wait, wait, wait... How would MoS benefit from being PG? The violence is toned down? Uh. And? That's what was wrong with the last (still PG-13) big-screen Supes. Aside from the airplane/shuttle rescue the large-scale action was nonexistent.
I am tired of hearing about Donner's Superman. We get it. It's a classic. Moving on.
"Dark" is way overused as a term.
Taking the movie seriously = Dark.
More themes to think about = Dark.
No wink, wink, nudge, nudge. You're watching a movie based on a comic book. = Dark

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #72
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post

One of the last people who needs to give advice on how to do a movie right.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #73
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Well, Lindelof is a bloody idiot. Him, Orci, and Kurtzman have little brains split between them. I t would make sense for him to confuse being dark and having depth. Exhibit A - Star Trek Into DARKNESS

Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #74
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

But he's great at making a script make no sen- Oh.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #75
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
Dang! Beat me to it.
My 2 cents anyways:

Wait, wait, wait... How would MoS benefit from being PG? The violence is toned down? Uh. And? That's what was wrong with the last (still PG-13) big-screen Supes. Aside from the airplane/shuttle rescue the large-scale action was nonexistent.
I am tired of hearing about Donner's Superman. We get it. It's a classic. Moving on.
"Dark" is way overused as a term.
Taking the movie seriously = Dark.
More themes to think about = Dark.
No wink, wink, nudge, nudge. You're watching a movie based on a comic book. = Dark
Characterisation= emo Superman and to edgy.

Closed Thread