The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #101
Notrip
SuperDaD

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Holy crap I'm from Fargo
Well here you go,
Quote:
N.D. National Guard@NDNationalGuard21m
An advanced screening of the new "Man of Steel" movie? For free? Sounds like a great idea to us! Here's how to... http://fb.me/1aC1tb92h

Amy Adams - Lois Lane
? - Jim Gordon
Hugh Laurie - Alfred

Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #102
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
Dang! Beat me to it.
My 2 cents anyways:

Damon Lindelof () on the JLA movie and tone of Man of Steel

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...league-problem

Wait, wait, wait... How would MoS benefit from being PG? The violence is toned down? Uh. And? That's what was wrong with the last (still PG-13) big-screen Supes. Aside from the airplane/shuttle rescue the large-scale action was nonexistent.
I am tired of hearing about Donner's Superman. We get it. It's a classic. Moving on.
"Dark" is way overused as a term.
Taking the movie seriously = Dark.
More themes to think about = Dark.
No wink, wink, nudge, nudge. You're watching a movie based on a comic book. = Dark
PG-13 rating wasn't even around in 1978, didn't come out until 1984. Most the movies and CBMs that were released back then, from Star Wars to Indiana Jones, ESPECIALLY Indiana Jones, would have been rated PG-13. The first Donner movie was adult for it's time and the first Act is very serious and still holds up pretty well but there's definitely some hokeyness to it. The fact that they say Sugar Honey Ice Tea in it would have definitely upped the rating to PG-13 back then due to language, in the first film I mean.

I see nothing wrong with PG-13. Superman is just as "PG-13" as Batman....or should be at least.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #103
Notrip
SuperDaD

Ouch, only 3.25 million for midnight/special IMAX screenings of STID. Hope Man of Steel fairs better than this

Amy Adams - Lois Lane
? - Jim Gordon
Hugh Laurie - Alfred

Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #104
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
Dang! Beat me to it.
My 2 cents anyways:

Damon Lindelof () on the JLA movie and tone of Man of Steel

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...league-problem

Wait, wait, wait... How would MoS benefit from being PG? The violence is toned down? Uh. And? That's what was wrong with the last (still PG-13) big-screen Supes. Aside from the airplane/shuttle rescue the large-scale action was nonexistent.
I am tired of hearing about Donner's Superman. We get it. It's a classic. Moving on.
"Dark" is way overused as a term.
Taking the movie seriously = Dark.
More themes to think about = Dark.
No wink, wink, nudge, nudge. You're watching a movie based on a comic book. = Dark
A higher level of violence because of a PG13 rating isnt going to sell MOS, the story and characters will .

Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #105
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

If I want silly pointless mysteries or plotlines in my tv shows or movies I'll be intrested in Lindelof's opinions

As othershave said there are a numbe of family movies from back in the day that would be PG13 if they were released today.

I like all the stuff The Flash can do with his abilites. The Flash superhero who writers have fully developed and used his powers to their logical conclusion.

A number of superheroes only use their powers in uncreative limited ways that can be repetitive and boring

Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #106
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrip View Post
Ouch, only 3.25 million for midnight/special IMAX screenings of STID. Hope Man of Steel fairs better than this
Not that many Wednesday Midnight screenings, I am sure that has something to do with it .
It releases tonight, but most people probably still think it comes out tomorrow .
Things will get better as the weekend progresses .

Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #107
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Perhaps not, but these days the PG rating is associated with kiddie movies. It's sad, but the concept of an "adult" PG movie has kind of dissipated.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #108
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Lindelof is hit and miss for me. And I actually really like Prometheus. In general I think he gets way too much hate. Especially of the bandwagon kind.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #109
Andreth
Side-Kick

Why is Lindelof getting so much hate, I remember his interviews when LOST was on, he's was a funny and charming guy, I really liked lost and Prometheus. The lost fandom used to adore him, now I come back and everybody thinks he's the devil.

Weird.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #110
Smallville13
Side-Kick

A Flash movie has the potential to be amazing, as with Wonder Woman. Green Lantern had the potential too though...

If WB does do a JL film for 2016 would the origin stories for WW and Flash come after?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #111
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I recently re watched Super Man Returns and my God that movie is HORRIBLE. I mean what the heck was Bryan Singer smoking when he made that movie? It's just as boring and lame as it was went I saw it in theaters in 2006. I superman movie with like zero action, where he mopes around stalks lois house. There isn't even a solid final fight, its just Superman getting his a** kicked by Lex and henchmen on a giant kryptonite rock. And lets not forget the fact that Supes is kind of a dead beat dad in this ha. Gets lois knocked up and leaves for years lol.

I was a fan of sorts of Smallville and even the worst seasons of that show are still more enjoyable than Superman Returns. BTW Smallville got pretty awesome in the ending seasons 8-10 with the many DC character cameos etc. Anyway, I done knocking Superman Returns bring on the awesome Man of Steel!!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #112
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
Why is Lindelof getting so much hate, I remember his interviews when LOST was on, he's was a funny and charming guy, I really liked lost and Prometheus. The lost fandom used to adore him, now I come back and everybody thinks he's the devil.

Weird.
modern day society feels compelled to backlash against anything that brought them some amount of enjoyment, happens all the time, movie/game comes out, high praise from fans and critics, 6 months to a year later, senseless backlash and apparently the louder speaking of the fans feel compelled to view it on the same level as Ice Station Zebra. I'm sure in a few years things will return to normal and actual objective opinions will emerge.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #113
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Go with WW. She needs it most.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #114
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
A Flash movie has the potential to be amazing, as with Wonder Woman. Green Lantern had the potential too though...
Yeah I think it really does. I didn't 'get' the character until I watched Young Justice and saw Kid Flash and Impulse in action, their speed was conveyed so brilliantly there, suddenly I understood why he's so awesome. He's definitely got the right ingredients for a great movie.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #115
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Nobody even knew Into Darkness was coming out Wed night because of the late release date change lets wait for the weekend numbers before we say ouch. It could very well open to disappointing numbers for all I know but I'm waiting for Thursday's numbers.

Moving on...

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #116
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
PG-13 rating wasn't even around in 1978, didn't come out until 1984. Most the movies and CBMs that were released back then, from Star Wars to Indiana Jones, ESPECIALLY Indiana Jones, would have been rated PG-13. The first Donner movie was adult for it's time and the first Act is very serious and still holds up pretty well but there's definitely some hokeyness to it. The fact that they say Sugar Honey Ice Tea in it would have definitely upped the rating to PG-13 back then due to language, in the first film I mean.

I see nothing wrong with PG-13. Superman is just as "PG-13" as Batman....or should be at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
A higher level of violence because of a PG13 rating isnt going to sell MOS, the story and characters will .
Not saying that at all. At least I hope that's not what you thought I was saying. To me, action and violence can be worlds apart.
Definitely agree on the story and characters. For the most part. We all know big action (even if done mostly terribly *Transformers*) sells to the GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post

Weird.
I could've LOVED Prometheus... If the magical "can do anything according to how we want the plot to progress black goo" made any sense.
It was so good looking.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #117
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
modern day society feels compelled to backlash against anything that brought them some amount of enjoyment, happens all the time, movie/game comes out, high praise from fans and critics, 6 months to a year later, senseless backlash and apparently the louder speaking of the fans feel compelled to view it on the same level as Ice Station Zebra. I'm sure in a few years things will return to normal and actual objective opinions will emerge.
Well, that's unfortunate.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #118
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm not a fan of the Star Trek movies because of their scripts, there scripts are decidedly not good. JJ. Abrams, the cast and the editors are the ones saving the Trek films.

Lindelof needs to shut the hell up about MOS and any other blockbuster movie.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #119
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Lindelof needs to shut the hell up about MOS and any other blockbuster movie.
Tell us how you really feel!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #120
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Tell us how you really feel!
I do 90% of the time. Yes I do in fact hold back sometimes.

I'm sick of the whining about this movie being "too dark" from rose colored glasses Donner fans. They call it dark and too violent and haven't even seen the damn thing!

News flash this isn't the goddamn 70's, this movie was never going to have some sterotypical black dude yelling about how awesome Superman's suit is or the myriad of ridiculous things in Superman: The Movie.

When we all see the film it can be debated whether or not the film's tone is to dark but if the movie works I promise you that the GA and most fanboys/fangirls aren't going to give a flying **** about that convo.

Lastly Mr. Lindelof should never talk about something being changed too much when he is involved with the mofo jokey, loud, action version of Star Trek.

And no, I still don't care about butt hurt Trek fans feelings about the changes. I like original Trek and this new twisted version so they still need to get as much of a life as Lindelof.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #121
majorchamp
Side-Kick

A random concern I have in the new MOS is how they will deal with Zod and his crew coming to a planet where they will have powers as well.

I mean Clark has spent his life honing his powers, learning how the sun powers him, etc.. and I don't want to have Zod and Co. come here and boom, suddently they have great control over heat vision, flight, etc..

I suspect the strength thing will be similar to the Original Superman, where Fiora on the moon rips the guys suit and can't believe how easy it is.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #122
majorchamp
Side-Kick

Quote:
I do 90% of the time. Yes I do in fact hold back sometimes.

I'm sick of the whining about this movie being "too dark" from rose colored glasses Donner fans. They call it dark and too violent and haven't even seen the damn thing!

News flash this isn't the goddamn 70's, this movie was never going to have some sterotypical black dude yelling about how awesome Superman's suit is or the myriad of ridiculous things in Superman: The Movie.

When we all see the film it can be debated whether or not the film's tone is to dark but if the movie works I promise you that the GA and most fanboys/fangirls aren't going to give a flying **** about that convo.

Lastly Mr. Lindelof should never talk about something being changed too much when he is involved with the mofo jokey, loud, action version of Star Trek.

And no, I still don't care about butt hurt Trek fans feelings about the changes. I like original Trek and this new twisted version so they still need to get as much of a life as Lindelof.
This forum needs a rep system...as I would totally rep that post.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #123
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Uhuh, really? How about the Nolan-directed and Goyer-written Batman Begins with Gordon "I gotta get me one of those" and the black guy's "Nice ride" reactions to the Tumbler? Seems to be the same kind of humor as the "Say Jim" guy. Lets not pretend that just because it's 30 years later that things are supposedly more sophisticated and mature and that team Nolan isn't capable of low-brow humor.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #124
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

and don't forget....

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #125
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

^ Lol is that the guy from Chappelle show?? I never noticed that.

Closed Thread