The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #26
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

My only real complaint is that I wish they had made the yellow belt around his waist more prominent in order to help give a better break in his blue body suit since most of the time it looks like he only has a yellow circle on his waist while the rest of the suit is just all plain blue.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post

Spidey wears spandex still. Does he look cosplayer-ish?
Yes.

But, we'll see how it looks in the final film with proper lighting and color correction.

Krumm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #28
regwec
Shakespearo

It looks fine to me, but certainly most costumes seem odd with a sound crew stood behind them.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #29
nogap87
Side-Kick

I'm liking the MOS suit more and more each day. The only thing keeping me from loving it is the cape length.

Spidey looks "cosplayer-ish" but the pics give off a very "Spider-Man" vibe so it's all good.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I think it looks pretty good here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMANIMAL View Post

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #31
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

I think Spidey's new suit is fantastic, as is Cavill's suit for MOS. The material for the MOS suit wouldn't translate well to Spidey and vice versa.

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #32
nogap87
Side-Kick

Yea. Both suits look like they will fit their respective film perfectly.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
I'm liking the MOS suit more and more each day. The only thing keeping me from loving it is the cape length.

Spidey looks "cosplayer-ish" but the pics give off a very "Spider-Man" vibe so it's all good.
Well, the suits tend to look a lot less cosplay-ish through a film camera and under movie lighting. Even so, Spider-Man should look a little bit like a cosplayer. After all, he supposed to be a working-class kid of limited means. It makes sense for the suit to may a homemade aesthetic.

I know Superman's suit is most often portrayed in the comics as having been made by Martha from the blankets in he was swaddled in his rocket and thus arguably should also have a homemade look to it, such an appearance does not fit the character quite as well. He is supposed to be a god-like alien that people look up at in awe who has a majestic quality about them, I think re-inventing the suit as traditional Kryptonian grab as Man of Steel does better fits that aspect of the character. Furthermore, it seems in line with the original Pre-Crisis depiction of Krypton where Jor-El dressed quite similarly to Superman with a cape and chest symbol and boots and all that.

Last edited by DKDetective; 05-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #34
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Well, the suits tend to look a lot less cosplay-ish through a film camera and under movie lighting. Even so, Spider-Man should look a little bit like a cosplayer. After all, he supposed to be a working-class of limited means. It makes sense for the suit to may a homemade aesthetic.

I know Superman's suit is most often portrayed in the comics as having been made by Martha from the blankets in he was swaddled in his rocket and thus arguably should also have a homemade look to it, such an appearance does not fit the character quite as well. He is supposed to be a god-like alien that people look up at in awe who has a majestic quality about them, I think re-inventing the suit as traditional Kryptonian grab as Man of Steel does better fits that aspect of the character. Furthermore, it seems in line with the original Pre-Crisis depiction of Krypton where Jor-El dressed quite similarly to Superman with a cape and chest symbol and boots and all that.
I think the original concept of the suit was meant to look like futuristic/alien wear, at least the perception of how aliens might dress back in the 30s, although in-universe it doesn't work out because Superman didn't even know he was an alien nor did he have memories of Krypton, at least not during the golden age.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #35
nogap87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, the suits tend to look a lot less cosplay-ish through a film camera and under movie lighting. Even so, Spider-Man should look a little bit like a cosplayer. After all, he supposed to be a working-class of limited means. It makes sense for the suit to may a homemade aesthetic.

That's exactly what I was thinking when commenting on Spider-Man's suit. It doesn't look silly or serious. It looks like something a kid with spider powers would make to fight crime in. It's near perfect for the character.

I use to be one of the folks that was upset that the MOS suit would come from Krypton and not Martha but I've gotten over it. Cavill fills it well and it looks like it will have a good backstory.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #36
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I think the original concept of the suit was meant to look like futuristic/alien wear, at least the perception of how aliens might dress back in the 30s, although in-universe it doesn't work out because Superman didn't even know he was an alien nor did he have memories of Krypton, at least not during the golden age.
Interesting, I didn't know he didn't know he was Kryptonian or that he didn't have memories of Krypton until the Silver Age. Based on How much Kurosawa stressed those traits in certain debates, I assumed they preceded the Silver Age.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #37
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

As far as I know, originally Superman finds out in the first kryptonite story in 1948, when he follows the path of the kryptonite meteor back to its source, traveling through time and arriving on Krypton as a phantom. Then in the silver age it was retconned that due to Superman's flawless memory, he could remember his short life on Krypton in perfect detail, which is probably a lot of the reason he identified first as a Kryptonian and second as Clark Kent.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #38
DKDetective

Quote:
As far as I know, originally Superman finds out in the first kryptonite story in 1948, when he follows the path of the kryptonite meteor back to its source, traveling through time and arriving on Krypton as a phantom. Then in the silver age it was retconned that due to Superman's flawless memory, he could remember his short life on Krypton in perfect detail, which is probably a lot of the reason he identified first as a Kryptonian and second as Clark Kent.
Yeah, I remember that being a big part of Kurosawa's argument regarding why Superman should be the real person and Clark just a disguise. It seems that Byrne's ideas (in regards to Clark only finding out his origin after becoming Superman) weren't as radical as Kurosawa tried to lead us to believe. It seems some Byrne reboot ideas have a good bit of basis in the Golden Age version of the character.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #39
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that being a big part of Kurosawa's argument regarding why Superman should be the real person and Clark just a disguise. It seems that Byrne's ideas (in regards to Clark only finding out his origin after becoming Superman) weren't as radical as Kurosawa tried to lead us to believe. It seems some Byrne reboot ideas have a good bit of basis in the Golden Age version of the character.
I'm not really all that crazy about the idea of him identifying as Kal-El from a very young age. My ideal Superman has a human side, where Clark isn't entirely a disguise. He does put on an act as Clark, but it's like how Bruce Wayne is a real person, it's just in public he pretends to be a careless playboy.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #40
DKDetective

Quote:
I'm not really all that crazy about the idea of him identifying as Kal-El from a very young age. My ideal Superman has a human side, where Clark isn't entirely a disguise. He does put on an act as Clark, but it's like how Bruce Wayne is a real person, it's just in public he pretends to be a careless playboy.
Exactly, agreed on all points. If it is the Kents' Midwestern values that form his moral compass as Superman, as it has typically been depicted, the only logical conclusion is for Superman to be as much Clark Kent (ie. the son of John and Martha Kent) as Kal-El. I like the comparison to Bruce Wayne quite a bit.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #41
sf2
Side-Kick

does spandex look cheap? no. it won't after the "add-on" during post production. right?

so spandex works for spidey, but not work for supes??? why?

spidey made a lot more than supes!

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!

Last edited by sf2; 05-14-2013 at 11:51 PM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #42
Manosman
Austinite

Quote:
Exactly, agreed on all points. If it is the Kents' Midwestern values that form his moral compass as Superman, as it has typically been depicted, the only logical conclusion is for Superman to be as much Clark Kent (ie. the son of John and Martha Kent) as Kal-El. I like the comparison to Bruce Wayne quite a bit.

He's Clark Kent, and always will be. Even after he finds out about his Kryptonian heritage, he's rooted as Clark. The Clark at the DP is an act, (whether that be bumbling, mild mannered, etc). But Superman is definitely Clark from Smallville.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #43
ArmsHeldOut
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Whatever happened to Kurosawa?

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #44
Project862006
Banned User

banned but cant say i miss his i am a better superman fan than you i have studied the genre bull crap lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #45
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Whatever happened to Kurosawa?
Banned. I believe it had to do with the old Costume thread and all the heated discussions and insults regarding tramp stamps. As far As I recall, it was also why we weren't allowed to have this thread for awhile.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #46
Project862006
Banned User

nope i believe super kal was the reason for that

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #47
ArmsHeldOut
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
banned but cant say i miss his i am a better superman fan than you i have studied the genre bull crap lol
Although I often disagreed with him, Kuro did have some good points at times. Unfortunately, much of his argument in general was based on false assumptions about other people; and he was very condescending in getting his close-minded views across.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #48
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

well he's gone now so....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

He's over on CBR's Superman forum now.

Shabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #50
Nicko-Ray
"Taa-Daaa!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I think Spidey's new suit is fantastic, as is Cavill's suit for MOS. The material for the MOS suit wouldn't translate well to Spidey and vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Yea. Both suits look like they will fit their respective film perfectly.
Couldn't agree more. I actually like MOS's texture/material a tad more than Spidey's due to the fact that I don't think we've seen that texture/pattern before. They look like diamonds?
As opposed to the brick mesh we've seen most. Nothing wrong with it but, MOS is different.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote