The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #301
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anthony Mackie in talks to play Falcon

New SHIELD recruit, being trained by Natasha, always heard about Captain America, finally realizes his dream and gets to fight beside him.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #302
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
It looks like movie Sam will be a member of the Air National Guard, rather than SHIELD.

Oh I like that. No more SHIELD agents please.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #303
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
New SHIELD recruit, being trained by Natasha, always heard about Captain America, finally realizes his dream and gets to fight beside him.
Nope.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #304
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Yeah, I think they're making it clear that Falcon isn't part of SHIELD.

Which still begs the question about how/why SHIELD "celebrity" agents are hobnobbing with an ANG pilot with an experimental pair of personal wings.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #305
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

Which still begs the question about how/why SHIELD "celebrity" agents are hobnobbing with an ANG pilot with an experimental pair of personal wings.
Actually, I meant I very much doubt Natasha is training Falcon. He could be a member of SHIELD, or their military liaison.

But as far as what are Steve and Sam doing together, perhaps Sam was among the national guard units who show up in the Avengers to fight the chitauri?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #306
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:

Sam could be a distant relative of Gabe Jones.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #307
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:

And how will Falcon use his wings for combat? It might work in the comics, but then again he also speaks to animals in the comic books.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #308
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
And how will Falcon use his wings for combat? It might work in the comics, but then again he also speaks to animals in the comic books.
One assumes that Falcon will be swooping down on his enemies and raining hell from above. That's what the guns are for. They could also add some lightweight bombs and incendiary devices to make the terror from the skies scenario complete.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #309
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

DCMarvelFreshman got hold of the script, and posted the scene that they've been filming on The National Mall involving Cap and Sam's first meeting. Tells us exactly what Sam is part of, at the outset of the movie:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He's with the 58th Pararescue Wing of the ANG; now works at the VA (hospital); and did a 4-year tour of duty, presumably in Afghanistan and/or Iraq.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #310
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #311
DN91
Star-Spangled Man

Are there any SHIELD logos on the outfit Falcon is wearing in the greenscreen shots?

DN91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #312
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

No, because Wilson doesn't work for SHIELD.
If you don't mind a middle-sized spoiler, check my post a couple of spots up, where DCMF leaked details of one of the scenes that Evans, Mackie and Scarjo were filming last week. Tells exactly what Sam's profession is, and who he works for.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #313
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, because Wilson doesn't work for SHIELD.
If you don't mind a middle-sized spoiler, check my post a couple of spots up, where DCMF leaked details of one of the scenes that Evans, Mackie and Scarjo were filming last week. Tells exactly what Sam's profession is, and who he works for.
I wonder if that's for real, though. Not the details of the scene, but Sam actually working for the VA.

For one thing, the Pararescue are a special forces unit of the USAF. For another, what would an ex-ANG be doing with what I assume is a military-issued flying harness?

I'm guessing Sam was actually undercover, and he was there with the intention of running into Steve. It might not be SHIELD, but it could be some other agency.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #314
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Agents of SHIELD use the same crest IN the jet. BUT it has the SHIELD eagle in the center
Quote:
It looks like movie Sam will be a member of the Air National Guard, rather than SHIELD.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #315
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I wonder if that's for real, though. Not the details of the scene, but Sam actually working for the VA.

For one thing, the Pararescue are a special forces unit of the USAF. For another, what would an ex-ANG be doing with what I assume is a military-issued flying harness?

I'm guessing Sam was actually undercover, and he was there with the intention of running into Steve. It might not be SHIELD, but it could be some other agency.
Just the 2 pages of leaked script we got shows that Sam was genuinely surprised that the annoying guy who disrupted his morning run was none other than Captain America....strongly doubt there was any intent or purpose to meet Steve.

The ANG/Pararescue angle makes sense to me. There's probably a plot-related reason that Sam is working at the VA....who knows, he might be taking care of one or more of Steve's old (and I do mean "old") buddies/ soldiers/ girlfriends.

And Pararescue is a good occupation for Sam....I did a little research into what they actually do, and there's a lot there that would distinguish him from some of the other heroes; especially from War Machine, if people start claiming that Falcon is just another Rhodey black sidekick. Pararescue aren't pilots or soldiers per se, but the training/experience they have means that Sam Wilson likely has extensive skills in parachuting/skydiving, scuba diving, combat extractions under heavy fire, airlift rescues of both military and civilians, crisis management during natural disasters, and a hefty amount of combat medicine and EMT/first aid. I think Sam is our first healer/doctor superhero in the MCU.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #316
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just the 2 pages of leaked script we got shows that Sam was genuinely surprised that the annoying guy who disrupted his morning run was none other than Captain America....strongly doubt there was any intent or purpose to meet Steve.

The ANG/Pararescue angle makes sense to me. There's probably a plot-related reason that Sam is working at the VA....who knows, he might be taking care of one or more of Steve's old (and I do mean "old") buddies/ soldiers/ girlfriends.

And Pararescue is a good occupation for Sam....I did a little research into what they actually do, and there's a lot there that would distinguish him from some of the other heroes; especially from War Machine, if people start claiming that Falcon is just another Rhodey black sidekick. Pararescue aren't pilots or soldiers per se, but the training/experience they have means that Sam Wilson likely has extensive skills in parachuting/skydiving, scuba diving, combat extractions under heavy fire, airlift rescues of both military and civilians, crisis management during natural disasters, and a hefty amount of combat medicine and EMT/first aid. I think Sam is our first healer/doctor superhero in the MCU.
[spoiler]A script doesn't really tell you all the information right away, and generally reads like the movie will look. So if Sam is an undercover agent who is meant to meet Cap, the script won't tell you if he's pretending[/quote]

Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #317
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
A script doesn't really tell you all the information right away, and generally reads like the movie will look. So if Sam is an undercover agent who is meant to meet Cap, the script won't tell you if he's pretending
True, but the script has Sam sorta talking to himself, saying things like, "Oh yeah, coming up on the right, yeah, uh-huh" to show how he's getting increasingly annoyed with this guy. Not the sort of thing you'd hear from someone who came to the park with the express purpose of meeting that person.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #318
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
[spoiler]A script doesn't really tell you all the information right away, and generally reads like the movie will look. So if Sam is an undercover agent who is meant to meet Cap, the script won't tell you if he's pretending
[/QUOTE]
Ahhh cover them properly .

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #319
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Anthony Mackie talks Falcon to EW:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/06/1...ckie-falcon/4/

Quote:
“The most important thing I got from everybody at Marvel about the Falcon was the need to show that he’s a very righteous, man-forward kind of guy. He would do anything to protect the man next to him and to protect his country. That’s the integrity of the character and the integrity of the man and that that’s what I have focused on.”
Also, CBM has posted some set pics of Steve, Sam, and Natasha outside Falcon's apartment. (Still filming in Cleveland, but presumably Sam's apartment is meant to be in Washington.)

Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #320
BoredGuy
Killing Time

That EW report also says he's a SHIELD agent and more patriotic peer to Hawkeye and Black Widow
seems to contradict these reports of him just being ex-military and working at the VA...

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #321
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Im still concerned with how they're going to pull off the wings. in a world where multiple factions have access to highly maneuverable and armored power suits, i dont see how a pair of fixed or flappable wings makes any practical sense. also the physics of it, even movie physics, doesnt really add up - especially if Falcon is a regular non-powered human. The wings would have to be enormous to support a 200 lb human, and would need an arc-reactor type power source. we shall see...

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #322
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Im still concerned with how they're going to pull off the wings. in a world where multiple factions have access to highly maneuverable and armored power suits, i dont see how a pair of fixed or flappable wings makes any practical sense. also the physics of it, even movie physics, doesnt really add up. Especially if Falcon is a regular non-powered human. The wings would have to be enormous and would need an arc-reactor type power source. we shall see...
he's got a jet pack more visible in recent images...my guess is he uses the pack to propel upwards and can use the wings like a highly maneuverable glider.

There are maneuvers you can do with wings you can't do with a jet

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #323
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

wings and gliders arent the same thing. gliders arent particularly maneuverable. hes the Falcon, not the Honey Glider.

but if theyre not giving him legit bird type wings, then the jet glider combo would be more practical/realistic. kinda disappointing that we arent getting the full Falcon treatment with true anatomically bird-like wings.

might be cool if, near the end of the movie, he is endowed by SHIELD with some alien tech next level **** that allows him to truly fly like a falcon.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 06-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #324
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

If there's one thing I love almost as much as the Stasha pics and Winter Soldier's bad*** look for the movie, it's Anthony Mackie's enthusiasm for Sam Wilson/Falcon. That EW article is a nice read.

Mackie is, quite simply, the bomb diggity.

ETA: I'm very much on the side that Sam's VA gig is a front for his SHIELD activities. Or, well... I guess he could do both?
Maybe he acts as some sort of military/SHIELD liason.

I have officially given up using periods when I type out SHIELD. It takes too much time and I'm too darn lazy!

Last edited by Suzanne78; 06-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #325
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
wings and gliders arent the same thing. gliders arent particularly maneuverable. hes the Falcon, not the Honey Glider.

but if theyre not giving him legit bird type wings, then the jet glider combo would be more practical/realistic. kinda disappointing that we arent getting the full Falcon treatment with true anatomically bird-like wings.

might be cool if, near the end of the movie, he is endowed by SHIELD with some alien tech next level **** that allows him to truly fly like a falcon.
according to concept art we can expect more glider than wings

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote