The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #401
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Of course only a few people didn't enjoy TDKR.
Alright I want to see some factual statistics. I've given up asking you for some form of proof that there was TDK 2.0 claims. You haven't got any. So lets try another one. Show me some factual proof that only a few disliked TDKR.

Then you can say "Of course only a few didn't enjoy it" as though you're stating a well known fact.

Quote:
That few counts as fanboys that didn't want a retired Batman from the beginning, because for the most of it, people did enjoy TDKR. The general audience surely enjoyed the film greatly and that's why it's only a polarizing film from CB fans.
The general audience enjoyed Bay's Transformers, too. You're going to have to do better than using that as an excuse. Audiences enjoyed lots of flawed movies. Are you going to try and tell me that movies like Transformers doesn't have a lot of detractors, too?

Quote:
And that few wanted a TDK 2.0
There's that hearsay again.

Quote:
By the way, I will continue to say this even how much you'd like to disown my opinion, lol.
More fool you. Why you would want to stand by an opinion about other people and their verbal claims that you can't back up is beyond me.

Quote:
No, that's the line you're spinning because you seem to enjoy twisting words around.
Correct me where I'm wrong then.

Quote:
Yes I do believe it. And it doesn't really bother me if one poster doesn't agree, because there has been some already that HAS agreed
And even more have disagreed.

So we win then since you're all about popularity numbers rather then facts.

Quote:
You trying to compare posters listing complaints of the film to Nolan having no heart in TDKR when the two do not go hand in hand. If Nolan dealt with concepts you do not enjoy does not mean Nolan had no heart when working with the film.
Oh my god, how can someone be so blind? Posters listing complaints is in reference to the ones who said they THINK his heart was not in the movie based on how flawed it was, and a step down from the previous movies. They are not saying it's a concrete fact. They are saying it as an opinion.

Why oh why do you struggle to understand such a simple concept?

Quote:
And so have I. An opinionated, not factual way. But, read above reply.
No, you haven't. You have been saying people wanted a TDK 2.0. The only way you could know something like that is if they said so. So if they did lets see some examples.

Quote:
Of course you can't, lol.
No, nobody can. Spider-Man 2 did not polarize fans and was never accused of being a half hearted attempt by Raimi.

Quote:
I bet you hate the idea that both are two of only four CBMs to be acknowledged by AFI, huh?
Why would I hate that? The AFI acknowledges movies like The Hangover, too. Your problem is you can't defend this movie with a competent argument so you turn around and say "Nyah nyah nyah more people agree with me than you. The AFI liked it so there".

It's pathetic.

Quote:
Or that the audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes is higher with TDKR, lol.
Here's another example. Trying to quote more numbers. The audience rating on RT for Transformers is only 3% less than TDKR and 1% less than Batman Begins. I guess that means it's almost as good as those two since the audience enjoyed it almost as much. Then there's The Avengers which has a higher audience and critic rating than TDKR so it must be better than it right?

Right? I mean that's all you believe in isn't it, Anno. Popularity numbers dictate quality. My gang is bigger than your gang schoolyard type mentality.

Quote:
Did I state such that you said it was based on fact, no I did not. Only once again using sarcasm that you continue to call out some posters' believes on opinion and yet you continuously claim what I am trying to say is fact when that is just...well, wrong.
I have no idea what you just said there. You said "Ah finally you say that is an opinion as well" as though I have been denying it to this point.

Quote:
Hey, I agree. As most of the posters who claim Nolan had no heart...they have nothing to back it up except for storylines and et cetera they just don't agree about.
Exactly. But at least they are basing their OPINIONS on the quality of his work instead of nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
I feel like there should be a 3 way battle royale thread between the BB (me and kvz), TDK (Joker and Shape), and TDKR (Anno and shauner).
Flattered Kane. Though for team TDKR I suggest Batlobster. He is the most competent debater when it comes to that movie.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 05-16-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #402
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Lol. That is all and that will be my reply.

I'm on the same boat as Shikamaru...I just have too little energy to just care about debating anymore. Both sides can equally be tempered and stubborn, so have your "win" if you want it.

And I'd applaud the idea of BatLobster taking my place in Team TDKR.

BatLobster, I'm tagging you in.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #403
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Heh. Appreciate the endorsement Joker

Anno...get the tables!!!!!!

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #404
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Old 05-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #405
georgec
Not a hero

I usually can't keep up and sit out most discussions about TDKR as well. It's exhausting just reading along. :P

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #406
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I just wanted to say that after watching the Batman: Arkham Origins trailer it reminded me how awesome of a job Bale did with the infamous Batman scowl.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #407
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Rises>TDK>BB>Returns>Batman>66>who cares

Best moment in the trilogy is The Will to Act. I've come to accept it ,although i love joker's interrogation and bat vs bane in the sewers.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #408
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.

TDK and BB will always be tied for best Batman film, for me. I say this as films with Batman in them not films that adhere strictly to Batman gospel. For that we can jump to MotP (which I think is good but really a bit over lauded sometimes).

In terms of just being films and the accomplishments they've made they really are awe-inspiring for any filmmaker. Put aside Batman's fledgling credibility pre-BB, BB is still a great, amazing film. It took Batman and presented him a light many people hadn't seen before. Some will say it just adheres to the comics but I still think it's unique from the comics in a lot of ways. From the non-linear structuring of Bruce past, which could have been completely confusing if handled the wrong way, to the build up to establishing points of familiarity in the Batman lore, Batman Begins truly is one of Nolan's best works from all standpoints. Even his shortcomings are marginalized in his inability to shoot fight sequences with the quick choppy editing. Some didn't like it but it's great when a filmmaker can tie editing like that into the aesthetic of the film. That not seeing Batman fight was all about the intimidation he possessed during the film. Not to mention Ra's al Ghul, Gordon and Crane.

If I had to pick a singular moment from that film it would probably be the scene where Joe Chill is killed. It's a small moment I know but I always like the way it rolls in and out the story providing the catalyst for young Bruce and it also perfectly shapes up how Gotham truly is at the time. I only wish Rises would have pushed the similarity of Bruce to Joe Chill in Talia's eyes. Bruce and Talia both orphans looking to avenge their parent(s) death. Talia is a mirror image of Bruce in that moment and a reminder of what he could have become if he didn't have people like Rachel and Alfred to anchor him.

...and then there's TDK.

It's no surprise I love TDK, it's one of the fews movies I consider perfect despite it's flaws. Yes there are some choreography blemishes here and there (I'm looking at you Hong Kong) but the film seems to make an error then make up for that error in a grand way the next moment. I did like the new Gotham, I liked that it was average American big city. I liked the politics of things down to the mob. I liked the complexity of characters like Maroni, who is a bad guy but NOT bad like the Joker and not willing to be bad like the Joker. I like the team assembling to fight crime in Batman, Harvey and Gordon and I love the Joker.

I mean, when I first saw TDK Joker's first, post-prologue, scene with the mob was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO satisfying, I felt like people could have gotten up and left then and been totally happy. I saw TDK about 30 times in the theaters and only after three weeks of going did people stop clapping at the end of that scene. There was an electricity in the theater that opening night that is something I've never felt before and when the titles came up I and everyone else there felt as if we just embarked on some amazing journey. I'll never forget that feeling and for that Nolan will always have my respect.

The interrogation scene. I mean...you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

TDKR

I had a lot of fun surrounding TDKR.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #409
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I don't think MoTP strictly adheres to Batman "gospel" anymore than Nolan's films actually. They both create love interests for Bruce, only MoTP depicts it in a way that Bruce was ready to give up everything and choose love over his crusade in the first place. That's a hugely unique wrinkle to the mythos.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #410
regwec
Shakespearo

He has contemplated giving it all up for lots of people- Silver St Cloud and even Jezebel Jett, if I recall rightly, for a start.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #411
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

I have no problem saying that every frame of MotP was perfect.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #412
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.

Quote:
I have no problem saying that every frame of MotP was perfect.
While I don't agree I don't think you could have pick many better candidates for that honor.

It is a great film.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #413
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Edit.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #414
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
He has contemplated giving it all up for lots of people- Silver St Cloud and even Jezebel Jett, if I recall rightly, for a start.
What I mean is that he came so close to not even being Batman in the first place. The "life that could have been" angle that was presented.

I love MoTP to be clear, I prefer when adaptations can add things to the mythos.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #415
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Perchance to Dream was another one where they dwell into that idea of Bruce not being Batman.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #416
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
What I mean is that he came so close to not even being Batman in the first place. The "life that could have been" angle that was presented.

I love MoTP to be clear, I prefer when adaptations can add things to the mythos.
Yeah but what everyone is saying is that that particular idea isn't new to the mythos. Not that MotP is unoriginal but just you're incorrect in the idea that Bruce leaving Batman for a woman is something that hadn't happened in the mythos before.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #417
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
The interrogation scene. I mean...you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.
Nolan's personal favorite scene in TDK.

- The Joker
Old 05-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #418
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
Yeah but what everyone is saying is that that particular idea isn't new to the mythos. Not that MotP is unoriginal but just you're incorrect in the idea that Bruce leaving Batman for a woman is something that hadn't happened in the mythos before.
It wasn't the quitting for a woman part I meant to cite as different, it's the idea that he came so close to never even donning a Bat-suit. To me there's a difference, because it puts an even more tragic overtone to him being "imprisoned" as Batman. And I love that.

To be fair, both MoTP and BB touched aspects of Bruce's origin story without necessarily "contradicting" the lore, because the established lore left many gaps in that section of Bruce's life. It's more like filling in bits of story that we never got to see before. Similar to what Scott Snyder is hyping his upcoming Zero Year run to be all about.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #419
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Perchance to Dream was another one where they dwell into that idea of Bruce not being Batman.

And the great thing about that is, he simply can't accept that life. He looks for holes in the dream because he's that obsessed with being Batman.

I love the fact that in Batman Beyond we learn that he refers to himself as "Batman" in his own mind.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #420
doobie
Side-Kick

Well there is a shock. I just turned on an old episode of the British sitcom Black Books, and who is on it but Colin Mcfarlane, (Nolan's Loeb), playing a police chief no less.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #421
georgec
Not a hero

^ I almost didn't recognize him. Did Loeb even smile once in BB or TDK?

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #422
regwec
Shakespearo

Loeb was a strange character in BB: not part of the problem, nor part of the solution. Unlike most Nolan characters, he didn't really sermonise except to describe his withdrawal from it all.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #423
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
I feel like there should be a 3 way battle royale thread between the BB (me and kvz), TDK (Joker and Shape), and TDKR (Anno and shauner).
Count me in as Team-BB.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #424
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Count me in as Team-BB.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #425
JackWhite
Third Man

This should probably go in TDK forum, but it doesn't get much traffic these days.

Aaron Eckhart on working with Heath:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Closed Thread