The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite villain?
Obadiah Stane 81 50.31%
Ivan Vanko 10 6.21%
Justin Hammer 8 4.97%
The Mandarin 9 5.59%
Aldrich Killian 53 32.92%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #51
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Favorite villain of the trilogy?

1. Aldrich Killian/The Mandarin
2. "The Mandarin"
3. Obadiah Stane
4. Justin Hammer
5. Ivan Vanko

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #52
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Wait, is it too late for me to vote for Shane Black? Darn it!
If we're adding more names to the list, then I'm voting for "Whiny Fanboys." Biggest villains of all time.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #53
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
If we're adding more names to the list, then I'm voting for "Whiny Fanboys." Biggest villains of all time.
Here here!

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #54
Spideysays
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Stane, it's not even close. My favorite comic book supervillain in a movie to date.
That comment about Shane black as the real villain kedrell??.......
Good one! Agree 150%.

Last edited by Spideysays; 05-06-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Wrong quote
Spideysays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #55
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I wish I'd made the poll public now. I'd love to know who voted for Vanko lol.
I voted for Vanko. I thought Micky Rourke was great as Anton Vanko and should of had more screen time.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #56
Happy Jack
Iconographer

It would have been The Mandarin had it not been for the third-act role reveal. As it stands I choose Iron Monger based solely on aesthetics.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #57
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Obadiah Stane.

He is far and beyond the best villain. The fact that the villains of the two sequels weren't even half as good as Stane is the tragedy of this entire franchise.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #58
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Stane! Impeccable performance, killer lines and the Iron Monger suit was perfect.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #59
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
I voted for Vanko. I thought Micky Rourke was great as Anton Vanko and should of had more screen time.
Do you really think Vanko is the best this franchise had to offer in the villain department though?

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #60
C_Carmichael
Nerd Herder

I voted for Stane.

I wasn't much of a Mandarin fan, even in the comic books, and they really messed up with the Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo mashup.

But the biggest letdown for me of the trilogy was the lack of Living Laser. He was always my favorite Iron Man foe, and to ignore him completely makes me very sad.

C_Carmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #61
Chris B
Side-Kick

Stane hands down. Bridges was great in the role and I thought they did the best job of building him up as the main threat.

I liked Vanko/Whiplash, but he was way too underdeveloped. I liked Hammer too, while I think he could've been portrayed a bit more seriously. Though I do think that Favreau hinted at him having a darker side at least.

I don't consider Trevor to be a villain and Killian was just bland. Weak motivation and just a poor representation of the Mandarin.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #62
third3ye
Side-Kick

I vote for Justin Hammer's dance moves as the greatest villain.

third3ye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #63
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
I voted for Stane.

I wasn't much of a Mandarin fan, even in the comic books, and they really messed up with the Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo mashup.

But the biggest letdown for me of the trilogy was the lack of Living Laser. He was always my favorite Iron Man foe, and to ignore him completely makes me very sad.
It's not a trilogy.... they already said in the future if they don't do it with RDJ they will "James Bond" it...there will be IM4

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #64
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

SHOULD have been Mandarin....

But it's easily Stane. Stane is the only one that fit the movie he was in well, didn't do anything laughable and had a strong performance.

Vanko could have been very good, but the Whiplash suit was pretty boring.

Justin Hammer was entertaining, but let's be honest, he, nor his drones were real strong threats.

Killian was good, but coupled as the Mandarin personality kind of screwed that up for me. And the fire breathing made me laugh. He's second, but Stane stole the show for me. In fact, Jeff Bridges' performance was the strongest in Iron Man in my opinion.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #65
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I loved Stane in his 'evil guy' scenes like pulling out Tony's arc

I loved Vanko with the revenge angle, and the whole Monaco racetrack thing, as well as the russian type accent.

loved everything with IM3.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #66
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

After seeing IM3 again its close between Stane and Killian/Mandarin, the latter obviously carried a bigger threat and was easily harder to put down, it took about 3/4 armours and more to do so.

Both performances were great IMO, from two actors I like a lot and both had good motivations. What I liked was neither was really sympathetic either. So its definately close, but overall I would have to go with Stane, he did the more evil things in the end, especially as a close friend of Tony and the Stark family.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #67
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

I went for Vanko.They could've done more with him,but I found him the most interesting.I take nothing away from Bridges,though.He was fantastic.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #68
C_Carmichael
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I went for Vanko.They could've done more with him,but I found him the most interesting.I take nothing away from Bridges,though.He was fantastic.
How is it that anyone is choosing Vanko?

Don't get me wrong, I think Mickey Rourke did a decent job in portraying a Russian thug...but let's not forget that the original Vanko villan (Anton) was Crimson Dynamo, not Whiplash.

Sure, in the multiple revamped 616 continuity, Anton is now Whiplash, but he is much longer known as the Dynamo, and his backstory is more established as Dynamo.

In recent years, Whiplash has been used as an amalgamation villan far too often, being a generic female foe (AEMH), being a robotic assassin of Mr. Fix (IM:AA) or a handful of other appearances. But his first appearance against Iron Man wasn't even as a Vanko villan! He was in fact Mark Scarlotti. Whiplash only became a Vanko villan in 2010.

In my mind, the worst villan portrayal was Whiplash, followed closely by Mandarin.

C_Carmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #69
ALP
In The Mountains

Stane is the best thing this series has to a 'good' villain. Most have been abysmal and completely un-noteworthy.

Rourke as Vanko had the best potential. Whiplash could have been great, but like with Kingsley and Killian... the good actors could simply not rise above the terrible crappy portrayals they were straddled with.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #70
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Totally Killian/Mandarin. Best motivation/evil plot/characterization. Granted, in the end he's a classic 80s evil business archetype, but he's a lot of fun.

Also, anyone else think Kingsley's Mandarin was absolutely hilarious? I'm talking pre-twist here. He was such a blast, especially his cynical take on fortune cookies. Kingsley's performance just rocked, best scene chewery in years

Stane and Hammer were both very amusing as well. Stane provided a good threat, though he kinda goes downhill in the third act once he suits up of course.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #71
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

How does Killian have the best motivation? It was the worst. Tony didn't meet him on the roof.

- The Joker
Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #72
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Which was the tipping point that made him truly feel like a nobody, which made him realize the potential power of anonymity, which he used to his advantage in the creation of the faux-Mandarin once his experiments started going wrong. Killian wasn't bitter at Tony, he was thankful that he gave him that revelation.

As for his overall motivation -war profiteering from both sides- it was basically the same concept of Stane's, but with a couple little extra layers to it. This doesn't necessarily make it better, but I personally found it more interesting. I think Killian genuinely thought spreading Extremis was a healthy progression in genetics. Plus he was clearly fueling his ego up as he kept rising as a successful "behind-the-scenes guy;" understandable for anyone who was a nobody most of their life (look at so many writers and film students lol). He was power-hungry, all the while sorting out some personal demons. I just really dug that.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #73
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
How does Killian have the best motivation? It was the worst. Tony didn't meet him on the roof.
I'mma take over the world because Tony Stark didn't meet me on a roof on New Years Eve 20 years ago! And maybe he would have taken me serious if I didn't dress like Edward Nygma

So menacing, so diabolical...

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #74
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

**** it, yeah. It was all revenge. Despite what the villain himself outright states in the movie. Insightful analysis, let's pack it in everyone. It's been decided that you can ignore parts of the movie to pass judgment on it.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #75
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Revenge for stupid reasons. Tony met him for a minute and a half in an elevator at a New Year's Eve party, said he'd meet him on the roof and he didn't. I could write a better motivation than that half drunk on the back of a beer mat.

Stane, Vanko, and even Justin Hammer all had more solid and believable motives than that.

- The Joker