The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #76
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
It took forever and a day just to get a glimpse of footage/trailer for The Wolverine. I believe that FOX has seen the material and know they've got a stinker on their hands. That's why it's not getting very much marketing or promotion. You have to remember that FOX is the KING of marketing--there is simply no studio that does it better.

I fear they are hiding The Wolverine until the last minute for a reason.
To be honest, I don't think this is the case.

Mangold took his time getting the first footage released - either he works slowly or there have been studio discussions (and possibly meddling) about the tone of the movie and the direction it should go in. Mangold was saying at the beginning that this was a Japanese film-noir piece but the eventual footage isn't really like that; it seems more like a traditional action movie. Fox may want this to be more of a safe summer blockbuster than anything too riskily edgy or arty.

Another factor is Fox's bad marketing. We all saw those appalling posters for First Class. For some reason, the marketing at Fox has taken a nosedive these past few years.

And the other thing is that they may be waiting for all the hoo-ha about Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, to die down so that Wolverine stuff doesn't get drowned out and stands more chance of getting people's attention. That's not a good idea, in my view. They should still market the film even if there's a lot of competing marketing going on.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #77
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Fox Is terrable with amrketing In last few years.Some want to use marketing
to claim the Wolverine must be terrable.

Bryan with teets Is taking the marketing out of Fox's ahnds.And why In hell Is
fox releasing all this Information on Dawn of planet of the Apes and nothing
on DOFP.If It wasn't for Bryan we would have nothing on It.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #78
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Exactly and its not like they don't have enough money, they have plenty of money! I think they are just really lazy and I feel like for them the popularity of the X-Men and Wolverine is enough for them to sell a movie to the casual viewers. Thats what some of the members here said to me when all of the X-Men movies didn't get a Super Bowl ad.

Give the marketing to Disney or Paramount, and there would be a Super Bowl ad, character posters for all of the characters, the scale of the movie would look bigger, there would be viral websites, the promotion wouldn't start so late, etc etc etc!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #79
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
It took forever and a day just to get a glimpse of footage/trailer for The Wolverine. I believe that FOX has seen the material and know they've got a stinker on their hands. That's why it's not getting very much marketing or promotion. You have to remember that FOX is the KING of marketing--there is simply no studio that does it better.

Surely there are at least 5 good minutes of the film to show off in promos, trailers, etc LOL

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #80
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Whilst it could very well be a stinker, I don't think the marketing is anything to go by. This film has has just as many photos/teasers/trailers released as any other superhero movie has this year. Closer to release, I can only assume it's going to ramp up more. In a month or so, we'll probs start getting clips and stuff online. Either way, I don't think the promotion is a strong indication of anything.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #81
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:

Wouldn't particularly surprise me. Nothing about the trailers I've seen for The Wolverine make me think it'll be any better than X-Men Origins.

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #82
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Wouldn't particularly surprise me. Nothing about the trailers I've seen for The Wolverine make me think it'll be any better than X-Men Origins.
I think it'll be a much better-directed film. The question seems to be whether audiences still care about Wolverine's angst and such.

I thought X2 pretty much gave us all the backstory we needed. Origins was superfluous. We'll see what this new one has to say, I guess.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #83
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Yeah I thought XMFC was the best X-film and it had awful marketing.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #84
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I thought X2 pretty much gave us all the backstory we needed. Origins was superfluous.
It gave us enough but a Wolverine origin film could have been great. They just stuffed it up.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #85
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Yeah I thought XMFC was the best X-film and it had awful marketing.
First Class is surely proof that lazy marketing doesn't say a thing about the quality of the film ahead.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #86
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Yes, their marketing tactics for The Wolverine make absolutely no sense. They should be playing tv spots, online spots, movie tie-ins EVERYTHING right now and yet all we've gotten is a trailer.

It's just terrible. They should all be fired for their graphic design skills alone.
1 - No, they shouldn't be doing all that right now, TW isn't out until the end of July, 2.5 months away. Doing all that now would be blowing their load. They took too long to debut the first trailer but that's the only real criticism I have.

2 - We have more than a trailer, we have 3 variations of a trailer + loads of stills, posters & production shots.

Also, new trailer next week or the week after is confirmed.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #87
Angamb
Banned User

maybe Fox isnt spending too much money on the marketing because they dont have high expectations with the boxoffice of the spin-off sequel.

DOFP will be another case, thats for sure.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #88
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Unless they can put together some AMAZING trailers and the film gets great word of mouth, I don't think this will do that great.

It'll make it's budget back, I'm sure. But I can't see it getting anywhere close to Avengers/TDK numbers.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #89
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
maybe Fox isn't spending too much money on the marketing because they dont have high expectations with the boxoffice of the spin-off sequel.
FOX were being cheap basicly with FC, just like ORIGINS was a cheap cash in to TRY and make more money, and for a while it didn't look like FOX was willing to go back to do more original trilogy films, most likely because after X3 it looked like the higher the budget got the less profit they were gonna make, X3 didn't make much more then X2

will the marketing be high for DOFP? yes probably if they take a page out of marvels book they will try and produce the same results

Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #90
Angamb
Banned User

both origins and FC were prequels with new actors (appart from Hugh being the same star on XO), so to me again they wanted to play safe without spending too much money on the marketing.

But now that FC had a good reception, the actors are bigger and more well known now, and 8 original actors and Singer are back, this sequel is a whole different story.

First step is Comic Con. Im sure a decent part of the cast will be there and Bryan will show the very first footage, so it will be a great step in the right direction.

I would bet too that this sequel will have its own tv spot on Superbowl next year, since Fox more than likely would want to play some of the same cards as Marvel with Avengers marketing.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #91
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
1 - No, they shouldn't be doing all that right now, TW isn't out until the end of July, 2.5 months away. Doing all that now would be blowing their load. They took too long to debut the first trailer but that's the only real criticism I have.

2 - We have more than a trailer, we have 3 variations of a trailer + loads of stills, posters & production shots.

Also, new trailer next week or the week after is confirmed.
I disagree with #1. Usually late marketing translates to bad legs at the box-office. People are only gonna be fully awareof the movie 2 to 1 weeks before the movie is released and after the movie is released and people saw it in its opening weekend. It would be quickly forgotten by movie goers.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #92
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Comments by Bryan from site that can't be mentioned I hadn't seen

"It’s not just another X-Men film; it’s not just about the combined cast as there will be certain technologies and other stuff that we haven’t seen before in the X-Men film. There are also issues of time and we’re messing about with that. I think we’ve got it figured out. I pitched it to James Cameron when I was in New Zealand last year and he said, ‘Yes, that makes sense.’”"

"We wanted an opportunity to bring some of the favourite older and younger characters together. We also wanted to play with the notion of different times and stuff like the way that time affects destinies. It enables the film to not just be a sequel to First Class or X-Men 3 but to actually be its own thing."

Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #93
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post

"It’s not just another X-Men film; it’s not just about the combined cast as there will be certain technologies and other stuff that we haven’t seen before in the X-Men film. There are also issues of time and we’re messing about with that. I think we’ve got it figured out. I pitched it to James Cameron when I was in New Zealand last year and he said, ‘Yes, that makes sense.’”"

"We wanted an opportunity to bring some of the favourite older and younger characters together. We also wanted to play with the notion of different times and stuff like the way that time affects destinies. It enables the film to not just be a sequel to First Class or X-Men 3 but to actually be its own thing."
this is something i think many people should take note of

Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #94
Mr.M
Side-Kick

And how should we interpret that? Clearly we don't know what Fox's plans are after this. Fox probably doesn't know what the plan is. The best thing to do is make a stand alone film with the most fire power. Nothing else to take from that. The chips will fall where they may.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #95
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
yeah, thats why some of us say this isnt FC2 or X4.

But something unique, a crossover would be a good word. But this is Fox first x-men crossover, so it doesnt have ALL the characters on it, just some of original trilogy, and some of FC.

If they will do another crossover one day, it will probably have more returning actors.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #96
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I thought X2 pretty much gave us all the backstory we needed. Origins was superfluous. We'll see what this new one has to say, I guess.
Wolverine should have never had an entire backstory laid out for him in the first place. But since the comics ruined it first, I can't really blame the films for following suit.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #97
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
You have to remember that FOX is the KING of marketing--there is simply no studio that does it better.

Uh yeah... in 2005.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #98
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Most directrs want their film to be seen like that. But its still a sequel to X3 and First Class. So for me its both X4 and First Class 2.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #99
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post

Like the sound of this.

And I hope the new technologies mean proper visual effects for powers of certain X-Men who haven't been shown in action properly yet.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #100
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I hope DOFP gets an Oscars nomination for its visual effects!