The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #951
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

You guys have already made the point,but I agree.The Human Torch not iconic?He was part of Stan's creation of the Marvel Universe.In the very first issue.You don't get more iconic than that.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #952
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
My patience for such a dramatic change in this case would be far different. In 2004 they at least made an effort to make Jessica Alba look like Susan Storm. I definitely remember those days, and if you recall, my anger only subsided after they released that first still of the actress in costume. It was always a stretch and in the end I think they made an exotically gorgeous actress look weird and plastic. And she never looked like Chris Evans' sister. Ever.

In this situation, they would not be even making such an effort, unless they'd be doing the Michael Jackson treatment, and that would be a total waste of time and budget. I mean, what would be the point? Johnny Storm is an A-List Marvel Character--he's not a Nick Fury or Alicia Masters where changing his skin color wouldn't be quite as controversial. There are far more effective ways to add diversity to this film's main cast.

Bottom line for me is this: We've never got a proper Fantastic Four treatment. Here we have an opportunity to "right the ship" as it were. They've already tried to cast an actress of color to play a WASP character. It was an epic failure. Have they not learned?
And you could say, he never looked like Jessica Alba's sister. Ever...

And yes the first part of the 2nd movie, holy crap...it was once they got into the forest, and then the last scene...still gives me the creeps.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #953
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Maria Hill. Katniss Everdeen. Fox from Wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
There really is no difference in making Torch black, while making the three female characters I listed white.
Fox is a great example.

I don't see why you keep using MAria Hill as an example though. Her eye color and skin tone has changed in the comics pre Avengers film. It is impossible to prove her ethnicity. She could be white, latina or biracial depending on what comic you are reading and even then you would just be making an assumption. Bottom line is the actress resembles her quite a bit and even mirrors her in certain panels. Not the same thing as an actor who can not look like the character they are based on. Which is why some are against the choice of MBJ.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #954
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
And you could say, he never looked like Jessica Alba's sister. Ever...
He would have been one heck of an actor to pull off looking like Jessica Alba's sister!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #955
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORVONDOOMX View Post
He would have been one heck of an actor to pull off looking like Jessica Alba's sister!

LMAO.....I didn't even notice that....

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #956
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

I hope Josh Trank makes a faithful "Fantastic Four" adaptation (unlike what Tim Story did) but if he does plan to have Michael B. Jordan be Johnny Storm, I'd be ok with the Four being all black.

But if you ask me... this would be the perfect cast:

Billy Crudup or Patrick Wilson- Mr. Fantastic
Diane Kruger or Charlize Theron- Invisible Woman
Chris Pine or Eric Christian Olsen-Human Torch
Domenick Lombardozzi or James Gandolfini- The Thing
Mark Strong or Mads Mikkelsen- Dr. Doom
Wayne Knight-Mole Man
James Earl Jones- Galactus

Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #957
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
You guys have already made the point,but I agree.The Human Torch not iconic?He was part of Stan's creation of the Marvel Universe.In the very first issue.You don't get more iconic than that.
Superman's Red trunks
Batman's blue trunks

Characters are iconic. Traits simply help define them. Johnny's "blonde" look is a shorthand more than it's iconic. Johnny and Sue could be white and 1st cousins and that wouldn't change the family dynamic that the FF is about.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #958
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Superman's Red trunks
Batman's blue trunks

Characters are iconic. Traits simply help define them. Johnny's "blonde" look is a shorthand more than it's iconic. Johnny and Sue could be white and 1st cousins and that wouldn't change the family dynamic that the FF is about.
I was ok until this....

The relationship between siblings is far different than that of 1st cousins.

NOW, you want to call them 1st cousins that grew up like brother and sister, then ok. But that is still a sibling relationship, and would be a stupid change. If they grew up as sister and brother, then they might as well be sister and brother.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #959
fixxxer
Side-Kick

However, change ComicbookKid's last sentence to "Johnny and Sue could be of different races, with one or both of them being adopted, and that wouldn't change the family dynamic that the FF is about" and I'm in complete agreement with his post.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #960
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

'Fantastic Four' Reboot Moving Production From Vancouver to Louisiana (Exclusive)

Quote:
"The Fantastic Four" is headed to the Deep South.

The super-team reboot is moving production from Vancouver to Louisiana, a studio spokeswoman told TheWrap.

Louisiana lawmakers recently tabled a bill that would have reduced the state's film production incentive program, keeping its generous transferrable credits in place. That made Fox feel comfortable sending work there, according to an individual with knowledge of the decision-making process.

This marks the first Marvel-based Fox film to shoot in Louisiana, after many of the studio's superhero movies -- such as "X-Men" and the upcoming "X-Men: Days of Future Past" -- were shot in Canada.

"The Fantastic Four" isn't alone among tentpoles headed to Louisiana now that the specter of cuts has dissipated. "Pirates of the Caribbean 5" will also shoot in the state, Jerry Bruckheimer told The Playlist last month. The producers cited the tax incentives as the reason for the decision.

Louisiana offers a 30 percent transferrable tax credit for in-state expenditures related to a film's production -- and an additional 5 percent labor incentive for hiring the state's residents.

Casting on "The Fantastic Four" has yet to be announced, but the film is expected to begin production in September. Josh Trank ("Chronicle") will direct the film, which is slated for release on March 6, 2015.
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...clusive-105601

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #961
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

why do i feel like this is old news?

also... very odd that again, none of this was even slightly mentioned at comic con. I don't think this film is happening

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 07-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #962
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

If they're going to shoot in Louisiana in September... why haven't we heard any confirmed casting news? Is Fox and Trank trying to lock down the four actors before making an announcement?

So many unanswered questions...

"Come Think With Us."
Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #963
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Filming as soon as September with no actors? Okay...

Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #964
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Good on Louisiana for the boost to their economy.
As for this movie starting production -

Old 07-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #965
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

I saw this comment in the front page article and it made me LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalFaceDoom View Post
The Fantasic Four - A story of the birth of four heroes being born out of the bayou. Their bodies altered by cosmic rays that overwhelm their shrimping boat. Victor Von Doom's life is altered by a miscalculation on an offshore oil rig and vows revenge on his old environmentalist friend who he blames for the accident that changed his life

Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #966
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post

also... very odd that again, none of this was even slightly mentioned at comic con. I don't think this film is happening
Because it is. Daily Superhero reported no them moving the production last month remember? They reported it as delays though and not just Fox taking incentives. Very odd, Daily Superhero reported it first and I think studios sometimes use sites like the Wrap, Deadline, etc as a press release arm so they're not necessarily telling the whole truth/story, just what they've been told. Daily Superhero also reported the script hadn't been finalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
If they're going to shoot in Louisiana in September... why haven't we heard any confirmed casting news? Is Fox and Trank trying to lock down the four actors before making an announcement?

So many unanswered questions...
Because they're trying to rush it into production before the rights revert. I'll be mad if they can get away with location shooting as "starting production" and then worry about casting actors and crap and finishing the script later. >.>

Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #967
Figs
Banned User

Quote:

I'm also surprised that nothing was mentioned at Comic-Con. That would have been the best time and place to announce some of the cast. Two months from shooting, I'm sure they have most of the actors/actresses cast already.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #968
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Not if they're planning on using location shooting as "being in production".

Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #969
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

As far as I know scripts, director, even any casting, mean nothing for these deals until the camera's are actually rolling.

Can location shooting (be it just shooting some exterior scenery) really count as 'being in production'?

I dunno...Figure Disney's lawyers will be all over that one way or another.

Hopefully Fox are just stalling now (might be waiting on seeing how Wolverine fares) and the rights will end up back with Marvel.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #970
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
You're right on. To suggest the Human Torch isn't an iconic face of Marvel is just...I don't even know...historically ignorant?

Sometimes I feel like some users here read what the general consensus is of the posting community and then make off-the-wall statements or defenses just for the sheer purpose of going opposite of mainstream thinking. There's nothing wrong with that in itself, provided those differences of opinion are not completely preposterous and out of touch with reality.
Also some OTT political correctness gone mad and totally unnecessary 'treading on eggshells' springs to mind.

The Torch is iconic and should be played by a white actor, and for me preferably looking no more than 20 years old and resembling the actress cast as his elder sister. Ideally, both would be natural blondes with blue eyes too.

For some of the overly sensitive out there it seems stating this opinion is sufficient grounds to pull the 'racist' card

Whatever, I couldn't care less what they think. I do care that the FF be done right for once, and casting a black actor for Johnny Storm would not doing that, end of story, imo.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #971
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Hopefully Fox are just stalling now (might be waiting on seeing how Wolverine fares) and the rights will end up back with Marvel.
Or bluffing.

"Crap! They're on to us. Everybody can see we're not going to make this movie, and Disney's not going to give us anything if they realize we're not serious. Quick, someone leak a story about production in Louisiana getting ready to start!"

That's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but until we have something that shows an actual commitment, there's still at least some hope.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #972
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

it is amusing that the moment more people start questioning this film, all of a sudden we get news about it.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #973
Mr. Dent
Banned User

We'll know soon. Less than two months until September.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #974
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
it is amusing that the moment more people start questioning this film, all of a sudden we get news about it.
Yeah I noticed that too. lol.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #975
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
I was actually thinking exactly this on the drive home his evening. With all of us poo-pooing the idea that Fox would actually make the film, Fox would have to react at some point. Whether they intend to make the film or want to get money out of Marvel, they can't remain silent and let us drive the conversation in a vacuum.

Then I get home and see this and it fits exactly what I would have expected.