The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #626
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Yes, but this entire debate, and I mean, the ENTIRE debate stems from the fact of Batman sightings. How can people not see sightings?
I have no idea. I'm just as confused about that part as you are.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #627
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Wouldn't it be easier just to watch from the Batcave to begin with? While Bats is in "the shadows" he can only survey one location at a time, unlike in TDK where he has cameras on Rachel and other people at various locations on the computer.

I honestly don't get the merits of arguing so stridently for an inactive Batman just passively sitting in the shadows for a year while he waits on Gotham to be cleaned up. I mean, who cares?
How would it be easier when we don't know if the Batcave is rebuilt yet? Or Wayne Manor is fully rebuilt yet?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #628
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
How would it be easier when we don't know if the Batcave is rebuilt yet? Or Wayne Manor is fully rebuilt yet?
Okay, then he sits in his bunker. The computer is the important bit, not the location of his lair.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #629
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Okay, then he sits in his bunker. The computer is the important bit, not the location of his lair.
The bunker that looks totally clean and empty the last time we see it?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #630
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
The bunker that looks totally clean the last time we see it?
Yes. You think Bruce Wayne only has one supercomputer available to him? He's a billionaire with a large company.

Or do we go with your version: "Oops I threw away my computer my only option now is to survey from the shadows on a gargoyle."

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #631
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
So Batman was out there in the shadows... just hiding not doing anything? What's the point of that?

If he was taking down criminals, then there were sightings, and he hadn't vanished. Why? Because Bats doesn't kill, so those criminals would still be around to tell (guess who?) the police about what happened.

Trav isn't trolling. He's being logical. You guys want an active Batman AND to have Batman "vanish" "from the eyes." Impossible.
They wouldn't be sightings if they weren't confirmed, reported sightings. The mob doesn't rat on anybody most of the time. Plus, we're not saying for sure that he was taking down criminals. He would be a "silent guardian, watchful protector" until he knows everything has gone well. There's no batsignal, so he would have to go out there and see for himself without getting called in by the police. There just incase something goes wrong.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #632
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Yes there is. Blake explicitly mentions the night of Dent's murder. It sets the context of the discussion. Nothing in the film implies what you are saying. A face value reading comports with what we're saying.
Exactly.

Quote:
So Batman was out there in the shadows... just hiding not doing anything? What's the point of that?

If he was taking down criminals, then there were sightings, and he hadn't vanished. Why? Because Bats doesn't kill, so those criminals would still be around to tell (guess who?) the police about what happened.

Trav isn't trolling. He's being logical. You guys want an active Batman AND to have Batman "vanish" "from the eyes." Impossible.
LOL the way they're presenting their argument sounds like a total contradiction. I mean in every way. From what we've been told to what they're describing they think happened, or wanted to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
This is getting pretty desperate. Everything in the movies points to Batman being absent for 8 years. There are numerous statements in the script to that effect, and supporting statements from the director. I'm sure we all agree that is unfortunate, but there is really no mandate for some alternative plot line to be imputed. You can reason that what everyone in the movie says is wrong, and that they just don't know the full facts. Fine, but that doesn't give you a stronger argument than it would for absolutely any other occurrence that may have happened 'off screen' between the movies.

Can anyone show me categorical evidence that Harvey Dent was meant to be dead? All we know is that everyone in TDKR said he was dead, and events stemmed from that fact. But they could have been wrong. Perhaps they just meant he died...inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Yes, but this entire debate, and I mean, the ENTIRE debate stems from the fact of Batman sightings. How can people not see sightings?

Shauner, dude, then how could there be any kind of sightings?

Even with an unconfirmed sighting, people still have to see something. Whether it is confirmed or unconfirmed is another thing entirely.
It doesn't make a lick of sense! None.

- The Joker
Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #633
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
They wouldn't be sightings if they weren't confirmed, reported sightings.
What is this I don't even

Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #634
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

The TDKR thread. Where "sightings" sometimes aren't "sightings."

Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #635
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
The TDKR thread. Where "sightings" sometimes aren't "sightings."

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #636
Anno_Domini
Banned User

No, the TDKR thread just knows the difference between "confirmed" and "unconfirmed" sightings.

Quote:
Yes. You think Bruce Wayne only has one supercomputer available to him? He's a billionaire with a large company.

Or do we go with your version: "Oops I threw away my computer my only option now is to survey from the shadows on a gargoyle."
No, only that he moved his supercomputer to the Batcave while it was being finished and he stayed as Batman for a little while longer

Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #637
shauner111
Side-Kick

If people don't call in that they saw Batman, then there's no confirmed sightings of the Batman. He's careful in the shadows. If somebody sees him they either don't tell anyone (like the police, the press) or a mobster doesn't rat on the Batman because theyre either scared or they have a code (believe it or not, they do have a code).

People could go 8 years without seeing him or 8 years and they think they see him once or twice but never tell a soul. Those are unconfirmed sightings. So to the knowledge of the police, yes...he has vanished that night to never return. Whether true or not.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #638
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

The mobster code is "never rat on the Batman?" Do they have a secret alliance with the Batman or something? Why would they not tell the police about him, given that the police are actively trying to take Batman down? Even Scarecrow knew to call the cops in Begins when Batman showed up.

Seriously shauner, this is getting silly.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #639
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
No, the TDKR thread just knows the difference between "confirmed" and "unconfirmed" sightings.
No, I don't think some of you do.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #640
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Did you not see the quote from shauner I responded to? He basically said there is no such thing as a sighting that isn't a confirmed sighting.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #641
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
The mobster code is "never rat on the Batman?" Do they have a secret alliance with the Batman or something? Why would they not tell the police about him, given that the police are actively trying to take Batman down? Even Scarecrow knew to call the cops in Begins when Batman showed up.

Seriously shauner, this is getting silly.
You focus in on that, but disregard the rest of what I said. Convenient. It's a fictional version of organized crime, they could be like the cartel for all we know. They don't rat out to the police for ANYBODY, im sure there are mob organizations that are like this, they wont deal with the police or tell them anything. It's against their code. But even if they would rat him out to save their own skin, let's then toss that point out the window and say it's rubbish. No problem. Everything else I said still sticks.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #642
shauner111
Side-Kick

Let me rearrange my quote then for your viewing pleasure, since you don't seem to understand what a confirmed sighting is.

Quote:
If people don't call in that they saw Batman, then there's no confirmed sightings of the Batman. He's careful in the shadows. People could go 8 years without seeing him or 8 years and they think they see him once or twice but never tell a soul. Those are unconfirmed sightings. So to the knowledge of the police, yes...he has vanished that night to never return. Whether true or not.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #643
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Did you not see the quote from shauner I responded to? He basically said there is no such thing as a sighting that isn't a confirmed sighting.

It's an unconfirmed one.

If the line was . there was no sightings of Batman , there would be no discussion. But Blake tells us that there is no confirmed sightings , so it allows to some sort of speculation. Officially he vanished.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #644
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Nothing you've said sticks, shauner. Its been refuted by multiple people at every single point. I didn't address your other argument because its been addressed several times.

As far as mob "codes" in real life, they don't have to deal with the Batman do they? Who would the mob hate more than the police? Who do the mob hate enough to side with the terrorist known as the Joker? (By the way, the mob ratted on the Joker later)

The police find a bunch of mob guys beat up and tied up rather than killed, they'll be able to put two and two together anyways, stupid mob codes be damned.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #645
Travesty
Dats right!

This thread:

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #646
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
You focus in on that, but disregard the rest of what I said. Convenient.
Just because you repeat an argument over and over and over after I've refuted it doesn't mean I have to respond to it again and again and again. Especially when you aren't even changing it up, just regurgitating.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #647
shauner111
Side-Kick

Refuted my ass. You guys don't know the definition of confirmed/unconfirmed/vanished. If you still don't understand my last post/quote before this one, then you're just being stubborn and wont accept the possibilities. Coincidentally the only people here who are saying we don't make sense are the ones who hated TDKR and the 8 year gap concept, how interesting! While the ones who are making this point dig TDKR but we have all said we don't mind if Batman retired completely during the 8 year gap. We're not looking at it with a mindset of desperation, wanting him to be active, we're even saying he could just be watching over the city.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #648
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Coincidentally the only people here who are saying we don't make sense are the ones who hated TDKR and the 8 year gap concept
The main person contesting your inane ramblings is the Phantasm, who likes TDKR.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #649
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
The main person contesting your inane ramblings is the Phantasm, who likes TDKR.
Yep.

I think I'm about done with this conversation...

Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #650
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I guess I should have said OR hated the 8 year gap.

Closed Thread