The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

View Poll Results: How many more movies w/ Original Cast do you want?
X4 (Just one more movie with full original cast) 7 38.89%
X4 & X5 4 22.22%
X4, X5 & X6 (A new trilogy) 5 27.78%
more 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #51
Angamb
Banned User

Default Re: How many more movies would you like with >Original Cast<?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
And you are not thinking realistically.
I havent said anything unrealisitc. But you keep saying No, no, no, no, no to most users, and thats not a good feel for the rest of us.

You have expressed you opinion, we get it, but theres no need to keep saying the same all days, it takes the fun out of the board. Let us discuss about the things we would like to see without repeating everyday that you DONT see it happening.

I hope its not too much to ask for. With all the respect. Just let us have some fun

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #52
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I havent said anything unrealisitc. But you keep saying No, no, no, no, no to most users, and thats not a good feel for the rest of us.

You have expressed you opinion, we get it, but theres no need to keep saying the same all days, it takes the fun out of the board. Let us discuss about the things we would like to see without repeating everyday that you DONT see it happening.

I hope its not too much to ask for. With all the respect. Just let us have some fun
No I didn't and as if you haven't disagreed on anyone here.

Even if I always disagree with Def28, there's other threads here when I agreed on his posts.

As long as I'm not breaking any rules, i'm free to say what's on my mind especially about X-Men movies.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #53
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even if I always disagree with Def28, there's other threads here when I agreed on his posts.
Pretty sure we have only disagreed about character popularity and other X-Men spin offs. Those things just get brought up alot haha.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #54
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah other than those things we pretty much agree on everything.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #55
def28
Side-Kick

We all want the same thing ultimately. Better movies that represent the canon and characters more true to form. Fox is tough because they have showed countless times even in their good movies that they don't strive for that. They have a friggen gold mine in characters, and I honestly think they have just as many big names if not more then the MCU. So most of my frustration is just watching the MCU planning all these things for GOTG, Ant Man, Scarlet Witch etc while Fox still focuses on the same characters they have had going for a decade. They need something new.

I know alot of people on here don't trust Millar, but I'm hoping at the least he can start reminding them that they are not using any of their line up or cooler characters well.

Hopefully the X films coming out in the next two years prove me otherwise about how Fox still handles everything, regardless how they go about multiple films or not. Good films, true characters and making use of what they own is really all I want when it comes down to it.

Last edited by def28; 05-21-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #56
Angamb
Banned User

Im so sure that DOFP will be the movie that will put the X-Men franchise on top of their game and will determinate the next steps by Fox, doing a better job with the franchise than ever before, including the future new characters.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #57
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

FOX just needs to release good films that will really attract to the general audience. Critical-acclaimed films with good actors (having a well-known actor is always a plus), great visual effects, great cinematography, great promotion, etc.

I just don't see how releasing spin-off movies would improve the series especially they gross lower than X2 and X3. They can still expand the X-Men movie universe, by releasing a new X-Men movie with the original cast in every 2 to 3 years. Introduce big villains like Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, include new members to the X-Men team like Psylocke, give the underdeveloped characters more screentime and role like Colossus and Storm.

Anyway, this film series is probably gonna be rebooted in the late 2020s or 2030s, since Hugh/Halle will be in their 60s at that time, so they might as well release as many films with the original cast while still they look good, while most of them are still willing to return and while the general audience aren't tired of seeing more films with them.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #58
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
FOX just needs to release good films that will really attract to the general audience. Critical-acclaimed films with good actors (having a well-known actor is always a plus), great visual effects, great cinematography, great promotion, etc.

I just don't see how releasing spin-off movies would improve the series especially they gross lower than X2 and X3. They can still expand the X-Men movie universe, by releasing a new X-Men movie with the original cast in every 2 to 3 years. Introduce big villains like Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, include new members to the X-Men team like Psylocke, give the underdeveloped characters more screentime and role like Colossus and Storm.

Anyway, this film series is probably gonna be rebooted in the late 2020s or 2030s, since Hugh/Halle will be in their 60s at that time, so they might as well release as many films with the original cast while still they look good, while most of them are still willing to return and while the general audience aren't tired of seeing more films with them.
By that logic marvel shouldn't make solo films and keep to making avengers movies, just because they won't make as much with the solo

Fox have alot of characters they can use and expand this universe, The OT may only end up making 2 more films till they have done 6 films, that's a 6 DVD boxset

Expand your mind abit

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #59
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Like I said before, MCU is not like X-Men. Plus MCU planned it from the very start to have separate series for Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America and their other characters. They also planned to bring them together in an Avengers movie once in a while. X-Men is nothing like that.

Could you really see FOX releasing movies for New Mutants, X-Force and their other characters and expect them to perform great at the box-office. First Class was the lowest grossing film and even if grossed 350 million worldwide and it still heavily relied on the "X-Men" brand. And if the other spin-offs will just rely on the X-Men brand, this franchise would face over-saturation.

I'm expanding by mind because I'm not only thinking about what the fan-boys want, but I'm also thinking what will these spin-offs do to the entire X-Men franchise when they don't perform well at the box-office. You are the one who aren't thinking straight if you think FOX can pull a Marvel Cinematic Universe with X-Men. X-Men doesn't have a lot of characters that can carry a film on their own. Wolverine can carry his own film and FOX saw that, thats why we are already getting a 2nd film, but as you can see, there isn't much hype to The Wolverine compare to Days of Future Past because Wolverine with the X-Men sells more than Wolverine by himself. Thats the same thing with X-Men, they don't attract to the general audience that much if Wolverine isn't included in the picture.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #60
def28
Side-Kick

One of these days an Uncanny X-Force flick is gonna come out and destroy all the other X-Men films box office in its path.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #61
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

There's no evidence for that yet.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #62
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Fox definitely has plans on expanding the X-verse within the next five years. I think they are in a similar position to DC. We hear Warner are waiting on the MoS returns before commiting to a JL film. No doubt Fox is in a similar mindset with the Wolverine and more specifically with DoFP. If Days puts a lightning bolt surge into the franchise then the essential first step will be out of the way. The Millar hire by Fox is more then just window dressing. He's devising plans with Fox (a la Marvel Studios) for where this universe should go and how to best fit new characters into it. A Deadpool film will happen in this context, it's a no-brainer. That character has gonzo potential to strike a chord with audiences. But I wouldn't be surprised to see DoFP and it's potential sequel before this universe really expands. At this point in time that's how I would do it.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-22-2013 at 01:01 AM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #63
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

With Fox planning to expanding the X-verse, I think at best we will get a cross-over film with the Fantastic Four, if ever the Fantastic Film reboot turned out to be a big success.

But a third First Class film, a Deadpool movie and brand new spin-offs are unlikely at this point. Marvel Cinematic Universe is getting larger and maybe in 2016, they'll start releasing 3 films per year. Then what if DC successfully created their own Cinematic Universe in the next 2 years. I don't think it would be a smart move for FOX to compete with MCU/DC by releasing a new X-Men related movie every year. People might get worn out by watching these super-hero films and out of all the major studios that are releasing superhero films - Disney/WarnerBrothers/Sony/Fox - Fox could be in the worse position incase over-saturation from superhero films occur.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-22-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #64
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

I think they'll build up the X-Men brand again, which is the life-blood obviously, and use that as a vehicle to introduce new characters to the GA. Then hopefully spin off different series from there (like they tried and failed with Origins).

Competing with Marvel Studios is the name of the game, thats Hollywood. They have this potentially great universe at their disposal, so they'd be smart to try and mine it.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #65
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah they need to build up the X-Men brand again and the best way to do it is release more films with the original cast. Thats why after DOFP, they need to move forward with X-Men 5 and X-Men 6. The general audience are already familar with the cast along time ago, so they will just need to introduce new villains like Apocalypse or Mr. Sinister, introduce new faces to the team and give the film a bigger scale. Thats what Fast/Furious did when they brought back the original cast and look how successful the franchise is right now. X-Men could easily follow the same route.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #66
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
People might get worn out by watching these super-hero films and out of all the major studios that are releasing superhero films - Disney/WarnerBrothers/Sony/Fox - Fox could be in the worse position incase over-saturation from superhero films occur.
This is definitely a risk, but what are these studios supposed to do? If they sit on potentially big properties for fear of oversaturation, then they may end up missing the wave for this great era. The bubble may burst without them. So why not try to build the most sustainable model possible...? Both financially and creatively. Nobody can predict when people will get tired of this genre, the only thing studios can control is making the best films possible (and hope the rest takes care of itself).

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-22-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #67
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
This is definitely a risk, but what are these studios supposed to do? If they sit on potentially big properties for fear of oversaturation, then they may end up missing the wave for the comic film era. The bubble may burst without them. So why not try to build the most sustainable model possible...? Both financially and creatively. Nobody can predict when people will get tired of this genre, the only thing studios can control is making the best films possible (and hope that takes care of itself).
I'm only gonna answer what FOX should do because I'm not really invested to the other Marvel films and DC films. What FOX should do is release movies that will really appeal to the general audience. FOX already played their wild card when they released First Class and it ended up as the lowest grossing X-Men to date and its already a big indication that the general audience are less interested with spin-offs. After DOFP, they should move forward with X-Men 5 and X-Men 6.

This is not the best time for FOX to get creative by releasing spin-offs and First Class movies. Sony/DC/Disney are using their biggest guns when it comes to their super-hero films, Sony with Spider-Man, DC with Justice League/Batman/Superman and Disney with the Avengers, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man. None of them are planning to release a prequel film or a spin-off film right now.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-22-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #68
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
I'm only gonna answer what FOX should do because I'm not really invested to the other Marvel films and DC films. What FOX should do is release movies that will really appeal to the general audience. FOX already played their wild card when they released First Class and it ended up as the lowest grossing X-Men to date and its already a big indication that the general audience are less interested with spin-offs. After DOFP, they should move forward with X-Men 5 and X-Men 6.
I'm not sure FC was the wild card when you put it into context. It was released on the heels of two colossal disappointments in X3 and XOM. Films that left a bitter taste in people's mouths. FC was Fox's attempt at rebuilding the brand. It did decent business and most people liked it, so I'll say there was a small uptick in perception. With DoFP we have a whole different animal, an animal with huge teeth and a potentially deadly bite. If DoFP hits it's mark, i'll change the whole paradigm moving forward. The performance of FC won't even be an issue, it'll be a tiny speck of dust in the rearview mirror. The ingredients are there for DoFP to be an EVENT film. That was never in the cards for FC.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-22-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #69
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Still, Captain America and Thor got more money than First Class. And this year, it looks like Man of Steel and Thor 2 will outgross The Wolverine. The thing is the X-Men series will never be back in its prime with spin-offs same with the other movies franchises out there, the original series will always be the one that really works to the general audience. So they should just continue w/ the original series.

And part of DOFP's buzz right now is the return of the original cast and that says a lot. And people always used X3/Origins being bad movies an an excuse for the shortcomings of First Class at the box-office. But imagine if those 2 movies were great, First Class wouldn't still outgross those 2.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #70
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Still, Captain America and Thor got more money than First Class. And this year, it looks like Man of Steel and Thor 2 will outgross The Wolverine. The thing is the X-Men series will never be back in its prime with spin-offs same with the other movies franchises out there, the original series will always be the one that really works to the general audience. So they should just continue w/ the original series.
That's why I said DoFP changes the whole paradigm moving forward. If it lives up to it's potential, it could have an Avengers-esque effect on every X-film moving forward. The Avengers is the top dog franchise in the MCU (like the X-Men is at Fox), but that doesn't stop Marvel from doing other films. Thats how film properties are built. You brought up Thor and Cap, well those films will have big increases because of their association with the Avengers. IM3 will double the first two films. Again, the same could happen in the post-DoFP era at Fox. I guarantee you they have a similar model in mind.

Quote:
And part of DOFP's buzz right now is the return of the original cast and that says a lot. And people always used X3/Origins being bad movies an an excuse for the shortcomings of First Class at the box-office. But imagine if those 2 movies were great, First Class wouldn't still outgross those 2.
Keep in mind that Thor and Cap were part of the new and exciting MCU and who hadn't had big budget films before (forget the Corman Cap). On the other hand you had a poorly marketed quasi-reboot/prequel that was coming on the heels of two turds. Apples and oranges really.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #71
NanaT
X-Men United!

I think after Days of Future Past. They sould continue with the original cast for an X4/5 and use that to introduce new characters such as Psylocke etc and to bring back characters such as Cyclops, (who hopefully would have returned by the end of DOFP). They can then build up the X-Men brand and then make spin-offs with some of the new characters. Maybe an X-Force movie etc.

I've been thinking of an idea for how they could continue with the Original trilogy cast and what the movie could be about, I might post it on here if I ever get the chance to see what people think about it.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #72
def28
Side-Kick

Obviously all the hardcore OT fans are gonna want more films with just them. It's nostalgic at this point and we all have our favorite characters. I get that.

But seriously, Singer is right. The X-Men franchise has more characters then the MCU on it's own and its time to expand it after 7 freakin films about the same characters. If they wait 6 years they may miss their chance to do that properly. People like when these things are all connected. Waiting too long to do that will have the opposite effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Keep in mind that Thor and Cap were part of the new and exciting MCU and who hadn't had big budget films before (forget the Corman Cap). On the other hand you had a poorly marketed quasi-reboot/prequel that was coming on the heels of two turds. Apples and oranges really.
Yeah. Fox needs to get their **** together. Why won't that studio learn? Gotta give Singer some credit for spreading the DofP word through twitter.

I think the fact that the MCU were all new and fresh franchises had alot to do with things. Unless you make a ****** one like GL, people really like big new films and characters. A new property is hard to find nowadays.

Last edited by def28; 05-22-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #73
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I personally want to see a movie for New Mutants, X-Factor and solo movies for Storm, Cyclops but I don't think it would work very well like it worked for MCU. Even if being part of MCU certainly helped the movies of Iron Man, Thor and Captain America to get more attention, they can still carry their own film.

With X-Men, if you check the sales of the comic-books, the X-Men titles and Wolverine titles are always the most-selling X-Men comic-book issues of the month. Plus making these films take a lot of time. Instead of waiting for *something new* to happen, I would rather want FOX to focus on making more X-Men films with the original cast, its more easier than coming up a story for a brand new cast and FOX should also focus on making Fantastic Four movies. Their main priority right now should be X-Men & Fantastic Four. Forget about spin-offs and prequels for now, make them marketable and as big as the other superhero films out there. Releasing spin-offs that attracts less to the general audience won't help X-Men and Fantastic Four compete with the other big movies out there.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #74
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
.With X-Men, if you check the sales of the comic-books, the X-Men titles and Wolverine titles are always the most-selling X-Men comic-book issues of the month. Plus making these films take a lot of time. Instead of waiting for *something new* to happen, I would rather want FOX to focus on making more X-Men films with the original cast, its more easier than coming up a story for a brand new cast and FOX should also focus on making Fantastic Four movies. .
Haha Will you ever give Deadpool his popularity credit?

If you wanna talk modern comic sales...

DP currently sells alot more then the Savage Wolverine, Wolverine and The X-Men and The Fantasic Four to name a few. Deadpool and the new Wolverine book are tied. but Deadpool is on a higher issue #. Im 90% sure Deadpool outsold him on #1's.

IN other words... All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men and Deadpool are the highest selling X- Books right now. The main X books (All New X-Men, Uncanny) lead by alot but Wolverine comics are actually doing pretty ****** other then first issues and seeing high drops.

Last edited by def28; 05-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #75
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I want FOX's schedule to be like this

Schedule A - if the Fantastic Four reboot became successful
July 2014: X-Men 4
March 2015: Fantastic Four
July 2016: X-Men 5
May 2017: Fantastic Four II
July 2018: X-Men 6
July 2019: Fantastic Four III
May 2020: X-Men VS Fantastic Four

Schedule B - if the Fantastic Four reboot bombed at the box-office and the movie rights for FF went back to Marvel Studios
July 2014: X-Men 4
March 2015: Fantastic Four
July 2016: X-Men 5
July 2018: X-Men 6
July 2020: X-Men 7
July 2022: X-Men 8
July 2025: X-Men 9 - the final film in the series
May 2030: X-Men Reboot

I can't really think of a spin-off movie that should be released, but if there's a spin-off movie that should be released, it should be released after X-Men 6. I feel like the general audience have seen enough spin-off films from the X-Men for now, I think starting next year, its time to go back to basics but the gap between the films are shorter compare to the last decade.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-23-2013 at 01:31 AM.