Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #751
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

Default Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva666 View Post
Children who chase lost voices. It's beautiful if it sometimes remembers me too much of princess mononoke.
I thought this title was familiar then realised it's Journey to Agartha (the UK title). I really enjoyed it, absolutely in the vein of studio Ghibli.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #752
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
Glad to know you liked it, it's on my watch list, whenever I can get around to it, lol. I got a good deal on it, Spirited away, Howl's moving castle, Tales from Earthsea, and Borrowers of Ariety. I already had Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa (which I've yet to watch), and My neighbor Totoro. Figured since I like their work it'd be a good idea to pick the others up for cheap, and finally get around to some movies I should have watched a long time ago.

Funny side note, even though Laputa comes from Gulliver's Travels, "la puta" is "the whore" in spanish to my understanding (only took 2 years of spanish in high school, heh). I doubt Ghibli recognized it when naming it, and I bet that's why my DVD just says, "Castle in the sky", since I got the English DVD (with dual audio, and subs), lol.
I had noticed it gets called Castle in the Sky a lot instead of Laputa, never understood why until now lol.

I'd also recommend Porco Rosso, Ponyo and Pom Poko if you're going through the Ghibli collection

Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #753
shiva666
art designer

The cat returns

Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #754
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Saint Seiya Omega is shaping up to be pretty good, from the first 5 episodes I've seen. It makes me wonder what the original anime was like. But that's like my relationship to the Dragonball franchise. DBZ got me hooked long before I ever tried the original series

Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #755
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Neon Genesis Evangelion...
ALL OF IT!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #756
Fading
>:(

I mostly finished Accel World over the weekend. So finished it up today after work. Then felt the urge to keep watching something, so I started up Mirrai Nikki. It's a bit different than I expected, but still good. Actually I ended up getting too into it, and stayed up too late. Finally pulled myself away from the screen long enough to wind down for bed just now, lol.

If anyones interested, just in case in what the series is about (Mirrai Nikki that is).
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Mirrai Nikki is about a boy who's detached from others. He keeps a diary where he writes down everything he sees, so basically he's an observer who never interacts with others. He also has (what he believes) to be an imaginary friend, bruntly, named Deus Ex Machina. Deus ends up being real, and creates a game to find his successor as the ruler of time and space. Game is simple, he gives everyone a sort of future diary that is different for each player. They have to kill eachother, and the last man/woman standing is the winner.

It's a bit more plot driven than anything, but there is action. The fighting in it is more about outsmarting eachother. Reading ahead into the future to avoid certain death, and plotting around it. Which obviously the other person has a diary that gives them an edge, so it typically becomes a back and forth of who can outsmart the other, or just luck out, and survive.

The reason I say I thought it would be different, is the trailer I saw on it looked to be dark, and bloody. There is blood, and it can be dark. However it had some humor in it which surprised me. It's also surprising how they can take a psychopath (one of the other players), and make the character somewhat likeable. So far I'm liking it. There is some gore, and nudity though. It's not gore for gore's sake, nor an every episode kind of thing. It is there though, only saying that in case that's a turn off for anyone.

My search for new animes to watch accidently led me to the weird side of youtube again. I was kinda making a list of animes that looked interesting. Lots of which I'd never remember their names if I hadn't wrote them down after watching the trailers on Youtube. Came across several funny youtube anime clips though which convinced me to add a few animes to my list. Maybe it's because I'm tired right now, but just came across this, and it made me laugh more than it should have. Clannad-Deathnote. Ok...now I can go to sleep, lol.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Edit - Side note, but I need to find a better way to search for anime. I'm aware of a few sites, but google has betrayed plot twists 3 times recently. Not saying which animes, but I've typed in, "X anime" to look up reviews. Then of course goggle gives me recommendations like, "X anime X character dies", or "X anime X plot twist happens". Anime trailers on youtube are almost as bad, because I'll frequently catch "X character's death scene" on the side bar of related videos. *sigh* The internet continues to be a double sided sword .

Last edited by Fading; 05-21-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #757
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddlerTheDalek View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion...
ALL OF IT!
... and Appleseed.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #758
Nathan

Thanks to Kotaku, this is what I'm currently watching.

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Attack on Titan

Currently at: Episode 6 (of 25)

Genre: Low Fantasy, Steampunk

Non-Spoiler Plot Summary: In a medieval world where giant Titans roam the lands, the last remnants of humanity hide behind a series of enormous walls. But should the Titans ever break the walls, it is up to the army to stop them with their specialized steampunk technology.

Why You Should Watch it: Attack on Titan is a heart-pounding adventure like few others before it. It feels like a cross between the steampunk world of Full Metal Alchemist and the violent, low fantasy world of Berserk. The mystery behind the Titans is compelling and the characters are well-developed—not to mention interesting. And unlike many similar stories about a group of underdogs, the violence and danger are treated realistically—to put it another way, the heroes are all too mortal.

Where You Can Watch It: Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu
Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Currently at: Episode 6 (of 13)

Genre: Comedy, Western Fantasy

Non-Spoiler Plot Summary: When the Demon King is defeated by the Hero, he and his last minion escape their fantasy world and land in modern Japan. But with no marketable skills and running low on magic, the Demon King is forced to get a fast food job and begin his conquest of both worlds from the very bottom of the pecking order.

Why You Should Watch it: The Devil is a Part-Timer! could have been nothing but your standard fish-out-of-water comedy. Instead, the whole scenario is turned on its head by continuously showing how well acclimated the Demon King is to his new life. The resulting story is a comedy satirizing not only fantasy world clichés, but also life as an entry level employee in modern Japan.

Where You Can Watch It: Funimation, Hulu

Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #759
Fading

I eventually plan on watching that series, especially given all of the praise. I'm going to wait for more episodes though. I've kinda gotten to a point where with the weekly manga I read already, and watching OP, that I don't want to add another series I have to wait each week for. I'll probably pick it up when it gets over 20 episodes.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #760
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Great teacher Onizuka

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #761
childeroland
Side-Kick

Aku No Hana. Yep, as good as I've heard.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #762
Fading

I'm probably the last to hear about this, but stumbled across a video on Youtube. Guess there was a new DBZ movie released in Japan this year. Something to do with a God of destruction. Goku apparently goes into a new mode, "Super Saiyan God Mode", which looks like his normal form cloaked in red. Then the movie ends with Goku being told there's 12 even stronger opponents out there. The time frame is the 10 year gap after beating Majin Buu , since DBGT isn't cannon. So, guess they're reviving DB, if Goku has 12 more big fights (possibly).

As far as what I watched, Angel Beats. I'm enjoying it. The main girl definitely seems like she came right from a Haruhi Suzumiya mold though, very similar. Given that I liked it, and Clannad, I might give Little Busters a try sometime down the road since it's made by the same people as the other two.

Another animes on my mind, but I'm mixed. I thought about watching Persona 4, since I liked the Persona 3 game a lot. Problem is I still haven't finished Persona 3, and probably won't play 4 until it gets a PS3, or PS4 digital release (as I don't have a Vita). So I'm iffy on if I want to start it, and get spoiled on the story of a game I might still play down the road.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #763
Lord
All Mighty

From what i heard Goku didn't even win against the god of destruction, he went to a sleep he will wake up from in 3 years. I hope it means we'll see a anime series, i wouldn't mind seeing movies instead but those offer less time to beat 12 overpowered gods

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #764
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R1 & R2
Loved this!!! Awesome anime, tight story well paced, always manages to end on a cliff hanger... With a heartfelt perfect ending.
The only thing that fell on its face was the whole theology of Geass.... But that's minor overall perfection!

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 05-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #765
Nathan

Started to watch "Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai". Yes, the title really is that long.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #766
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

Angel Beats "Dancer In The Dark", "In Your Memory"

Eden of the East "Eden of the East", "Flight of the Black Swan"

...I only have a few more episodes of each, then I'll move back into Darker Than Black and maybe Soul Eater...

Thank you for your vote, Hellion. (now I'd vote for you! :) )
Hellion...Sagittarius...half man, half horse.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #767
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
From what i heard Goku didn't even win against the god of destruction, he went to a sleep he will wake up from in 3 years. I hope it means we'll see a anime series, i wouldn't mind seeing movies instead but those offer less time to beat 12 overpowered gods
Not to mention that'll take forever. Assuming they release 1 movie a year, and 1 movie per villain. They'd probably toss in the villain from this movie in one of the others, but that's still over a decade. If you're a DBZ fan eager to see it, that's be graduating high school at 18, and finishing the last movie at 30, lol.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #768
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Angel Beats "Dancer In The Dark", "In Your Memory"

Eden of the East "Eden of the East", "Flight of the Black Swan"

...I only have a few more episodes of each, then I'll move back into Darker Than Black and maybe Soul Eater...
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I liked Soul Eater. My only problem with it is the whole diverging from the manga story thing, which happens to a lot of animes. I hear the manga kept going, and continued to be entertaining. The anime starts to feel a bit rushed, and goes off in a totally different direction near the end (which is where I'm assuming it caught up with the manga, and started going in it's own path). Maybe one day it'll get the FMA Brotherhood treatment, and get remade. Either way, it's still worth a watch.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #769
Nathan

Hey, I watched that AMV quite recently today. Soul Eater was definitely a great anime. Haven't read the Manga yet, but it's disappointing to hear that the anime cut things short. I hate it when they do that. The last Anime that I remember that did that, and phenomenally disappointed me because of it, was Claymore. I think they followed the Manga close till they got to the village, then they wrapped the entire story up in 1 or 2 Episodes, while the Manga still kept going.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #770
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

Thumbs up Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I liked Soul Eater. My only problem with it is the whole diverging from the manga story thing, which happens to a lot of animes. I hear the manga kept going, and continued to be entertaining. The anime starts to feel a bit rushed, and goes off in a totally different direction near the end (which is where I'm assuming it caught up with the manga, and started going in it's own path). Maybe one day it'll get the FMA Brotherhood treatment, and get remade. Either way, it's still worth a watch.

Thanks for the heads up, I enjoy comparing/contrasting the animes to mangas...and as always, thanks--the info is appreciated.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #771
Nathan

Watched Ika Musume.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #772
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

Angel Beats:
"Goodbye Days"
"Change The World"
"Knocking On Heaven's Door"
"Graduation"

As sad as the flashbacks could be, nothing to me was sadder, than seeing poor Naoi cry at the end of the anime...

Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #773
Fading

Chrome Shelled Regios. Needs more Felli . Liking it so far. It's like Blue Gender with magic and swords....and bugs show up less, plus more comedy, minus life or death drama, ect. Ok, only like Blue Gender at a glance, lol.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #774
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yu Yu Hakushu, I watched it yesterday

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #775
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Arguably one of the best anime/shonen ever made. Quite possibly my favorite.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Closed Thread