The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Amen to that. Before TDKR dropped, all the 'cool kids' were slagging TDK left and right. Praising BB over TDK was very in vogue, but the overall environment here was becoming increasingly hostile to the pro-Nolan crowd long before TDKR dropped. I think some of us saw the TDKR backlash coming a mile away to be honest. Though I could have never predicted who would have ended up loving the movie vs. who didn't. That part was wildly unpredictable for me.

First it was the generally underwhelmed reaction to the teaser. Then trailer 2 got a very good first reaction, but people quickly became bored of it and craved more. Then it was back to bashing Catwoman's costume and Hathaway. Hardy's size. Other things were being heavily questioned- rumors of the LOS returning, Batman most likely being retired for 8 years etc. Then months of "Y no marketing?" The only thing that really had the fans in uproar prior to TDK being released was Ledger's casting and no permawhite. But most of that went to rest after the first trailer dropped. It was just a different energy surrounding TDKR. It was still very exciting, and there were definitely plenty of fans pumped by everything they saw. But I was already sensing this disconnect where I felt everyone was hoping for a different movie.

That's why I guess always felt this one was going to be bit more divisive with the fanbase. Bold, controversial decisions just come with the territory when you're putting an end on the story of Batman- an enduring legend in pop culture. Luckily, for folks like us, all those risks paid off big time.

While I wasn't "lucky" to be around during that time, I am aware of the "hate" TDK receives even to this day. I'm certainly appreciative that I have this amazing Batman trilogy where I love each film more and more than the predecessor. To have Batman Begins, then a better film in The Dark Knight than even a better film in The Dark Knight Rises...I don't think I'll ever get that again, tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Great post.

You guys always manage to hit the nail on the head and save me the time and effort from trying to convey similar ideas.
We try, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Exactly. Take a look at Iron Man 3 for example. I still haven't been able to make time to see it (the wait is killing me btw) but I'm already aware of what they did to the Mandarin and it is far worse than what they did with Bane. Words can't even express the huge difference. However, I'm not in the Iron Man threads constantly discussing and arguing over this because I'm not a big Iron Man to begin with like I am with Batman and the last Iron Man movie already had a lot of problems.
Yeah, Iron Man never stood a chance of being a great trilogy with Iron Man 3 since it already fumbled the ball with IM2.

I hope you enjoy IM3, despite the Mandarin plot point.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
Anno_Domini
Banned User

IM3 could've ended up being a great third installment though, but the film dropped the ball on that one as well, imo.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #29
ALP
In The Mountains

^Oh yeah.

Bane was terrific. Sometimes the motivations and the end reveal was a bit shoddy but overall Bane was great. Not as good as Joker, but a good enough follow-up, I thought.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #30
batfreakforever
A real fan

I can't believe some poster's are proud of not liking TDKR and we know some don't like it for the simple fact they hate Chris Nolan.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #31
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Oh goodness, he's back.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #32
batfreakforever
A real fan

The thread should be changed to ''why are some fans not liking TDKR?'' or closed altogether.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #33
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I am a HUGE Bat fan but even when I saw Rises for the first time in theaters last year, I was underwhelmed by it. Its not a bad movie by ANY means but it's certainly NOT the epic conclusion that people and filmmakers were hyping it up to be. First of all the movie has plot holes, useless characters (cough Foley cough) and Batman in costume has maybe 10 mins of screen time, and there is only 3 action set pieces in the whole movie, the stock exchange chase, swear fight, and the finale battle, which I might add is one of the lamest final fights I ever seen. I saw Rises twice in theaters and twice when I bought the blu ray last December and haven't watched it since. Tried to watch a week or two ago but I honestly can't sit through it anymore, it just bores me. I can however still sit through BB and DK. Lets be honest here The Dark Knight is one of if not THE BEST Bat film to date.

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 05-23-2013 at 10:44 PM.
ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #34
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I am a HUGE Bat fan but even when I saw Rises for the first time in theaters last year and was underwhelmed by it. Its not a bad movie by ANY means but it certainly NOT the epic conclusion that people and filmmakers were hyping it up to be. First of all the movie has plot holes, useless characters (cough Foley cough) and Batman in costume has maybe 10 mins of screen time, and there is only 3 action set pieces in the whole movie, the stock exchange chase, swear fight, and the finale battle, which I might add is one of the lamest final fights I ever seen. I saw Rises twice in theaters and twice when I bought the blu ray last December and haven't watched it since. Tried to watch a week or two ago but I honestly can't sit through it anymore, it just bores me. I can however still sit through BB and DK. Lets be honest here The Dark Knight is one of if not THE BEST Bat film to date.
I won't argue with you on your points since, honestly, I'm tired of doing it and gave up a while ago. But, as for those action scenes, let's see....

-Prologue plane heist
-Stock exchange chase
-Batman saves Catwoman on the rooftop
-Batman vs Bane in the sewers
-If you want to count it, there is the scene when the bombs detonate
-Batman vs Bane: Round Two + GCPD vs Militia
-Final chase scene

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I agree the thread title should be changed since "EVERYONE" isn't accurate, but there's enough of a reason why such a thread is still being populated and still going strong. No reason to close it at all.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #36
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
I won't argue with you on your points since, honestly, I'm tired of doing it and gave up a while ago. But, as for those action scenes, let's see....

-Prologue plane heist
-Stock exchange chase
-Batman saves Catwoman on the rooftop
-Batman vs Bane in the sewers
-If you want to count it, there is the scene when the bombs detonate
-Batman vs Bane: Round Two + GCPD vs Militia
-Final chase scene
Yea I will give you those action sequences I just forgot about those. As they really aren't that memorable in my opinion besides the sewer fight. Batman Vs Bane round two is one of the lamest final fights I ever seen. Its almost as bad as Iron Man 2's final battle with Whiplash in my opinion of course.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #37
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I love both Batman/Bane fights. They're so different from one another and that's what makes them special.

Round One - Bane just toys with Batman as Bats tries to do whatever he can to get the upper hand but in the end, Bane breaks Batman's mask and back.

Round Two - Batman takes a more calculating stance, taking his time with his turns, finally getting lucky enough to break Bane's mask this time around.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Batman vs. Bane Round 2 is freaking epic. Everything about it, the music, the setting, them looking for each other through the crowd, Batman's sense of calmness and composure despite some rage at Bane still bubbling below the surface, Batman having to adapt his fighting style and using Bane's momentum against him.

It was great.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #39
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

For me, the second fight was the icing on the cake. Bruce already beat Bane by escaping The Pit and leaving his pain behind while Bane can't. And then Bruce and Bane clash once again and I loved it too.

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #40
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Batman vs. Bane Round 2 is freaking epic. Everything about it, the music, the setting, them looking for each other through the crowd, Batman's sense of calmness and composure despite some rage at Bane still bubbling below the surface, Batman having to adapt his fighting style and using Bane's momentum against him.

It was great.
Batman is suppose to be smart and not once during the sewer fight did he even think about attacking Bane's mask???!! Seems kinda stupid considering it was an obvious weak point on Bane. Then during Round 2 he finally figures it out??!! And then Catwoman finishes off Bane. It was just really lame and short in my opinion.

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 05-23-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #41
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Batman is suppose to be smart and not once during the sewer fight did he even think about attacking Bane's mask???!! Seems kinda stupid.... Then during Round 2 he finally figures it out??!! And then Catwoman finishes off Bane. It was just really lame and short in my opinion.
I never get this complaint. He went after Bane's mask repeatedly during the first fight (kinda hard to punch him in the face without hitting it).

Then of course, the prison doctor informs him that the mask delivers an anesthetic that holds his pain at bay so he goes into the second fight with the full understanding of this. He then uses his gauntlet on the mask, which gets the job done.

So he went after it both times, the difference is the first time he was trying to just use brute force, second time he was more tactical. I can accept that given how rusty and reckless Bruce was during the first fight.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #42
Anno_Domini
Banned User

There's no correlation of Batman being smart and going straight after Bane's mask. To Batman, it could have been something to scare his opponents as much as Batman's cowl or Joker's "war paint". It's only in the Pit when he finds out that Bane has the mask for medical reasons.

But, Batman did attack the mask at certain moments even in the sewer fight, but none of that mattered anyways when he finally was able to cut off a pipe using his gauntlet in the second fight.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #43
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
I never get this complaint. He went after Bane's mask repeatedly during the first fight (kinda hard to punch him in the face without hitting it).

Then of course, the prison doctor informs him that the mask delivers an anesthetic that holds his pain at bay so he goes into the second fight with the full understanding of this. He then uses his gauntlet on the mask, which gets the job done.

So he went after it both times, the difference is the first time he was trying to just use brute force, second time he was more tactical. I can accept that given how rusty and reckless Bruce was during the first fight.
I noticed he was hitting the mask and was in full on rage mode, but after a while of getting owned you would think he would go for the pipes or whatever on the side of the mask. I don't know I was just expecting soo much more from the second fight with Bane and it just was a let down for me.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #44
Anno_Domini
Banned User

There is no feasible way for Batman to go for the pipes when he came out only lucky to do such in the second fight, lol.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #45
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
There's no correlation of Batman being smart and going straight after Bane's mask. To Batman, it could have been something to scare his opponents as much as Batman's cowl or Joker's "war paint".
My thoughts exactly.

Also, I really wonder what Bruce thought would happen if he defeated Bane in the sewer anyway. It's like, there's still a whole army down there waiting to open fire on him even if he does. Not to mention all those charges were already rigged and someone else had the detonator. He had absolutely no chance the moment that gate slammed shut. I really think he was ready to go out in a blaze of glory down there.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #46
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I mean you guys can't tell me that you weren't slightly disappointed by the final fight with Bats and Bane? It was over in a like 60 seconds it seemed AND Batman didn't really beat Bane, Catwoman put the final nail in the coffin for him ha.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #47
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Technically, Batman beat Bane fair and square but Bane indirectly cheated by having Talia come to his rescue by stabbing Bruce.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #48
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
I mean you guys can't tell me that you weren't slightly disappointed by the final fight with Bats and Bane? It was over in a like 60 seconds it seemed AND Batman didn't really beat Bane, Catwoman put the final nail in the coffin for him ha.
I thought it was near-perfect.

The drums, the snow, Bale's acting, were all great, and it was extremely uplifting once you get to see Bruce finally get the upper hand. The sound of the mask breaking, sooo good, climaxing with Bruce yelling at Bane in such dominating fashion. (a flip of the Joker interrogation scene, where he's powerless).

Emotionally, it worked for me, even if it's not 'true to Batman' (extremely fast fighting, using gadgets and smarts, etc).

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 05-24-2013 at 12:48 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #49
db85usa
HeHe!

IMO, I don't care what anyone thinks but here's a fact, Batman is arguably the single most popular superhero ever. The most iconic obviously is Superman, I think. A lot of jealousy over Batman, and I can definitely understand that. After all, it is the ONLY Superhero franchise that has had two films gross over a billion world wide.

Not to mention, it happened in a matter of only 4 years. Two films which both sit in the top ten all time domestic rankings. Yeah, there is going to be hate. There always is when it comes to success.

Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy deserves to be up there with LOTR, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future as a trilogy people will remember forever. People can hate on that for all I care.

I will say this, I still believe Batman Begins is the best superhero film I've ever seen to this day. That might change on June 14th

Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #50
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Also, I really wonder what Bruce thought would happen if he defeated Bane in the sewer anyway. It's like, there's still a whole army down there waiting to open fire on him even if he does. Not to mention all those charges were already rigged and someone else had the detonator. He had absolutely no chance the moment that gate slammed shut. I really think he was ready to go out in a blaze of glory down there.
Pretty much how Bane definitely lost the moment he saw Batman's symbol on that bridge, Batman lost as soon as he walked into that part of the sewers. Before he didn't know about the rigged charges or the countless of soldiers, he probably had a plan...but, yah, to think if Batman won...who knows how that would've actually ended. The soldiers would've probably just decided to blast Batman away with bullets.

Quote:
Much like Shikamaru said, Batman did technically beat Bane by his own hand. And not just physically either, but mentally as well while he climbed out of the Pit and Bane tries to gain his edge by saying "I broke you" while he himself is broken at that moment by Batman. He won that second bout before Talia intervened and the idea that Talia intervened, I don't see anything wrong with Catwoman intervening to then help Batman in the end.

Could the second fight be longer? Most definitely, but the timing the fight did have worked with the interlocking scenes of what else was going on with Gordon and with Blake. Although 60 seconds is a total understatement.

The second fight without interruptions:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 05-24-2013 at 01:19 AM.