Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #751
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Vaughn wrote the treatment and is producing. Basically he and Singer switched roles in every sense.
Which for me is a big problem. Even with the hectic schedule and script problems, Vaughn easily delivered the best X-Men film with First Class. His direction was a huge part of that.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #752
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Define "beat them to the punch". Considering it's probably going to be another under utilized in name only character that will probably be forgettable, I doubt Marvel's sweating much.

By beat them to the punch, I mean featuring the character in their movie first.

And it sounds like you are assuming a lot at the moment. In the X-Movies that Singer has directed, the mutants that he featured didn't have any forgettable roles. Even the ones that had little to do.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 05-24-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #753
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
By beat them to the punch, I mean featuring the character in their movie first.

And it sounds like you are assuming a lot at the moment.
Even in the strong X-Men films, a lot of missed opportunities with characters and and how they are written. So many underwritten.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #754
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Even in the strong X-Men films, a lot of missed opportunities with characters and and how they are written. So many underwritten.
It happens. Unfortunately.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #755
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
It happens. Unfortunately.
"It happens" because Fox keeps shoehorning in pointless cameos.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #756
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
"It happens" because Fox keeps shoehorning in pointless cameos.

In the Singer directed X-films, there weren't pointless cameos.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #757
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Fox likes the X-Men movies to be huge and have more of a focus on large scale action and plot than intricate character interaction. It's the exact opposite for Avengers. I would like to see an X-Men film that kept the team to the traditional Chris Claremont group (Professor X, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, Iceman, Colossus, Rogue, Kitty Pryde) fighting against a singular enemy instead of another team up group (Brotherhood, Hellfire, etc).

They haven't even attempted to touch on the villains outside of those groups in X-Men mythos, and some of those are far better and more interesting concepts.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #758
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
The last of which was in 2003, aka one decade ago, and there have been three X-Films since then, and four when you add in The Wolverine. And each of those four have featured good characters reduced to pale imitations of themselves.

Seriously dude. Can you look at this massive cast list and honestly say that Thunderbird or Quicksilver or Blink are going to be anything more than fanservice cameos? C'mon.

~ The Road of Kings

Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #759
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Fox likes the X-Men movies to be huge and have more of a focus on large scale action and plot than intricate character interaction. It's the exact opposite for Avengers. I would like to see an X-Men film that kept the team to the traditional Chris Claremont group (Professor X, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, Iceman, Colossus, Rogue, Kitty Pryde) fighting against a singular enemy instead of another team up group (Brotherhood, Hellfire, etc).

They haven't even attempted to touch on the villains outside of those groups in X-Men mythos, and some of those are far better and more interesting concepts.

Can't agree with that. In Singer's movies, there was plenty of intricate character interaction.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #760
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
The last of which was in 2003 aka one decade ago, and there have been three X-Films since then, and four when you add in The Wolverine.

Seriously dude. Can you look at this massive cast list and honestly say that Thunderbird or Quicksilver or Blink are going to be anything more than fanservice cameos? C'mon.

Yep, and now Singer is back at the helm for a movie due out in 2014. Now watch him work his magic.

And yes, I can look at the massive cast list and say that the mutants you mentioned will be more than mere fanservice cameos. Singer will give them importance.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #761
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Can't agree with that. In Singer's movies, there was plenty of intricate character interaction.
Between Wolverine and whatever other character was involved with him, and Professor X and Magneto. Otherwise the character were thrown to the way side. Avengers has every character interacting with each other and explores their dynamics.

I'd say the Fox movies portray the X-Men as more of a society than a team, which is somewhat appropriate I guess.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #762
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Yep, and now Singer is back at the helm for a movie due out in 2014. Now watch him work his magic.

And yes, I can look at the massive cast list and say that the mutants you mentioned will be more than mere fanservice cameos. Singer will give them importance.

We'll see.

~ The Road of Kings

Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #763
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Between Wolverine and whatever other character was involved with him, and Professor X and Magneto. Otherwise the character were thrown to the way side. Avengers has every character interacting with each other and explores their dynamics.

I'd say the Fox movies portray the X-Men as more of a society than a team, which is somewhat appropriate I guess.

Pyro, Rogue, Bobby, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Storm, Jean Grey, Cyclops... all of them got chances for intricate character interaction without Wolverine.

I understand what you're saying about the different dynamics, but they did get intricate character interaction. It was just presented in a different way from The Avengers.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #764
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Pyro, Rogue, Bobby, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Storm, Jean Grey, Cyclops... all of them got chances for intricate character interaction without Wolverine.

I understand what you're saying about the different dynamics, but they did get intricate character interaction. It was just presented in a different way from The Avengers.
I sort of see what you're saying but yeah it's different than what I consider to be intricate. Like I said, it's more of a society than a team to me in the Fox films.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #765
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
I sort of see what you're saying but yeah it's different than what I consider to be intricate. Like I said, it's more of a society than a team to me in the Fox films.

That's agreeable.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #766
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Kitty Pride, Siryn, Colossus, Pyro.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #767
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:

Pyro,Bobby,Mystique,Nightcrawler,storm, and jean received character interaction. Cyclops the supposed team leader and, is either shafted,kidnapped, or killed in the singer/Fox movies. Now wolverine is the central character in the X-men movies, we know more about him then the people who actually remember there pasts.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #768
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Kitty Pride, Siryn, Colossus, Pyro.
Those were all legitimate cameos, unlike the stupid distracting garbage that came post-X2

Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #769
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Kitty Pride? Siryn? Colossus?

How were they pointless cameos when it's a school for mutants? Are you saying that you'd rather not see the mutant children there displaying their abilities? It came with the territory and was not pointless, because it was establishing that these kids are gifted.

Kitty Pride played a part in X1 because when she ran through the door, it shocked Logan just like it shocked the audience.

Siryn played a part because she was a mutant in danger defending herself against the soldiers, and it showed how their darts could instantly knock out the mutants. Which gave the Wolverine scene more of an impact when he wasn't dropping by the darts.

Colossus played a part because once again, he was defending himself and the rest of the children. He was also a prelude towards a "larger" role in X3. His role would have been even better if Singer had directed X3.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #770
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
Pyro,Bobby,Mystique,Nightcrawler,storm, and jean received character interaction. Cyclops the supposed team leader and, is either shafted,kidnapped, or killed in the singer/Fox movies. Now wolverine is the central character in the X-men movies, we know more about him then the people who actually remember there pasts.

Cyclops had intricate character scenes with Jean in both movies.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #771
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
How were they pointless cameos when it's a school for mutants? Are you saying that you'd rather not see the mutant children there displaying their abilities? It came with the territory and was not pointless, because it was establishing that these kids are gifted.

Kitty Pride played a part because when she ran through the door, it shocked Logan just like it shocked the audience.

Siryn played a part because she was a mutant in danger defending herself against the soldiers, and it showed how their darts could instantly knock out the mutants. Which gave the Wolverine scene more of an impact when he wasn't dropping by the darts.

Colossus played a part because once again, he was defending himself and the rest of the children. He was also a prelude towards a larger role in X3.
Colossus had a larger role in X3?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #772
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Those were all legitimate cameos, unlike the stupid distracting garbage that came post-X2
This.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #773
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Haha

Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #774
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cyclops had intricate character scenes with Jean in both movies.
yes after he was kidnapped,shafted, and received little development as a character.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #775
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Edited my post before that, you should go back and read it.

Oh what the hell, I'll say it here. Colossus would've had a larger role in X3, if Singer was directing. When Ratner took the helm, he was sidelined. Not Singer's fault.

Closed Thread