The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Upcoming Batman Solo Movie

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #876
Harrier
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread

Honest question,

Are there any other color pallettes that could work for the Batusit that would convey stealth, intimidation and all the things Batman would want other than Black (or Black and Grey?)

The one reason I liked the Injustice suit is that it did use some blue hues and whatnot to give it a different kind of look.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #877
BatScot
Mon the Hoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Those of us who have said for years that objectors to a grey suit would be converts the moment it was put on screen will probably be vindicated.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #878
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I like this armour, cowl is ok, gauntlets a little out there for me.

Not a fan of the armoured look, but this is a very good attempt overall. I like the way that the segmentation matches human anatomy, unlike the jigsaw-puzzle horror show on the TDK/R batsuit. The only things I find a bit clumsy are the gauntlets (I wish this approach hadn't ever been used by the videogames- it looks awful) and the black-on-black symbol.

It may look a bit more...credible if the model relaxed his expression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Honest question,

Are there any other color pallettes that could work for the Batusit that would convey stealth, intimidation and all the things Batman would want other than Black (or Black and Grey?)

The one reason I liked the Injustice suit is that it did use some blue hues and whatnot to give it a different kind of look.
I'm a big defender of the blue- as a child of the 80s, blue and grey is what Batman wears to me. It is a perfectly reasonable pairing for an urban environment. I understand that the evidence is that pure black colour blocking is much easier to see in the gloom, as it gives a sharp outline. I think any colour would be effective if it was muted. Midnight blue and charcoal grey looks good, and would work well.

Now I shall man the barricades while my opinion is assaulted from all fronts.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #879
Harrier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Not a fan of the armoured look, but this is a very good attempt overall. I like the way that the segmentation matches human anatomy, unlike the jigsaw-puzzle horror show on the TDK/R batsuit. The only things I find a bit clumsy are the gauntlets (I wish this approach hadn't ever been used by the videogames- it looks awful) and the black-on-black symbol.

It may look a bit more...credible if the model relaxed his expression.

I'm a big defender of the blue- as a child of the 80s, blue and grey is what Batman wears to me. It is a perfectly reasonable pairing for an urban environment. I understand that the evidence is that pure black colour blocking is much easier to see in the gloom, as it gives a sharp outline. I think any colour would be effective if it was muted. Midnight blue and charcoal grey looks good, and would work well.

Now I shall man the barricades while my opinion is assaulted from all fronts.

As long as there isn't bright yellow, I definitely can agree.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #880
Gort Baringa
Side-Kick

Love the segmented armour on the abdomen and the all black utility belt.

Not very happy with the ears on the cowl and especially the nose. The 'gauntlets' look horrible.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #881
Travesty
TEOL

I'm just not a fan of that suit, at all.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #882
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Honest question,

Blue and grey have actually been proven by military research to be the most effective colours for urban camouflage.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #883
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Gray is the best color if you want general anonymity. Which is why Michael Mann's criminals always wear gray suits.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #884
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
The only good thing about this suit is the belt.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #885
Bren
Forevernoob

If that is purely fan made, then I have no criticism for it only a bloody well done.

Wouldn't want it in a live action film, but bloody well done.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #886
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Yeah, it's a good fan costume, even a professionally made costume, but not good at all for a movie.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #887
brett66
user title

The cowl is terrible but I like the basic idea of the suit overall.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #888
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Blue and grey have actually been proven by military research to be the most effective colours for urban camouflage.
The article I read about this particular military study (actually done by a research firm hired by the military) mentioned nothing about blue, all it said was a mix of black and gray was better for night time urban camo than all black, which was a huge contradiction to all those fans who said "An all-black Batsuit is stealthier".
I could see how some blue would work, though, to my eyes everything at night where there's no lighting outside has a bit of a bluish tint to it.

*splat*
Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #889
Boom
I got nothin'

To borrow from another site:

Quote:
Wearing a solid color at night actually makes you more visible, as it defines your silhouette against a non-solid color background. The average nighttime environment isn't actually solid black, but rather a combination of various dark shades. Another aspect to take into consideration is how solid black shows up in a near infrared camera, which is often used at night in military operations, as well as by hunters and at paintball games. Solid black appears as bright white in a near infrared camera, making the wearer stick out more than if they were wearing duller shades.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #890
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

There ya go!
Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against an all -black suit for Batman, as a kid I thought a black suit would be cool, and I still do. I just had a problem with so many fans claiming an all black suit is better than the black (or blue) and gray combo for stealth purposes, when in reality it's not. I mean, couldn't they have just simply said they like the black suit better, instead of coming up with some bogus excuse?

*splat*
Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #891
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

The blue is more stealthy argument has never swayed me with regards to batman. He's not trying to simply blend in he's dressed as a freakin bat for god's sake! he wants to intimidate as well.

Black is by far the most intimidating color in that regards and makes a hell of a lot more sense with his bat motif. I'm not against grey use, i just don't want to see Batman in blue in live action.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #892
lixdexia
Blood Angels

i disagree

dictated, not read.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #893
theShape
Creature of Darkness

I really think something like this would be perfect for the next live-action Batman.

Make the belt(s), gauntlets, and boots a darker black, and we'd have a solid version of a grey/black Batman suit. The design is simple, not overly busy, and yet it still looks practical with the belt pouches and leg strap. The draped cape and bigger chest symbol are things a lot of people have requested for the next Batman. He looks protected, but this suit doesn't scream "look at this crazy armor Batman's wearing". The type of armor/padding could easily be explained in the film (if it even needs to be explained this time around). They could keep or lose the white eyes, doesn't matter to me. Cowl looks good to me, but I wouldn't be opposed to ears that were a little longer.

A suit like this would present plenty of opportunities for Gothic imagery, since we're hopefully getting a more stylized Batman adaptation next time. It has the potential to look really intimidating on the right actor.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #894
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Yeah that costume is a nice fan made suit but for a movie no, especially that cowl.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #895
regwec
Shakespearo

I quite like that, Shape, though I think brown leather is a better bet if you want to replace the yellow belt: that design is a little bit too monochrome for my tastes.

And that Rob Liefeld 1990s thigh strap has to go.

On another matter: I find comments that suggest that particular colours are or are not intimidating rather strange.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #896
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
Yeah that costume is a nice fan made suit but for a movie no, especially that cowl.
I mean, it's a drawing and not a fan-made suit, so I'm not sure what you mean. And what's so bad about the cowl compared to some of the awful designs people have posted in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec
I quite like that, Shape, though I think brown leather is a better bet if you want to replace the yellow belt: that design is a little bit too monochrome for my tastes.

And that Rob Liefeld 1990s thigh strap has to go.
I don't think I'd be much of a fan of the black/brown combo. Someone should darken the areas I mentioned, and then also make a version with those places being brown, so that we could see a side-by-side comparison. A brown belt just wouldn't "go" with anything, really.

As for the leg strap, I wouldn't have been for it before Nolan's trilogy started, but now I'm open to things we haven't seen yet on screen, visually. That small strap adds a level of practicality to a suit that doesn't look all too practical, IMO.

I'm imagining a live action version of this suit with a series of test photos against a white or grey backdrop, like we saw with Bale for TDK, and I think I'd be really happy with it.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #897
Mako
Galactic Crusier

I think he was referring to the photo zman posted not the art.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #898
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Ah, true.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #899
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Yeah I was, sorry shape I should have clarified that hah. My bad

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #900
Lamborghini07
Newbie First Class

Quote:
For an armored look like film adaptations seem to use I like this look from Phil Cho, if for anything it lightens some areas of the armor so its not so deep black.

I like this, I think the belt should be matte grey and it would look clean. As someone whose dissected a human and studied human anatomy I think the skin tight plastic look is terrible as that Adonis measurements aren't possible in modern day and look ridiculous. Also no one in that physique could move, especially in that armor.

If you look at Burton's batman it was too stiff and impossible to do batman like things in that outfit. Def dark gray would look good but I feel the shoulders are always neglected and if shown would be more intimidating. If the cape could be farther back or on the rear delts that would look better than covering the anterior shoulder.

Closed Thread