The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Who's side are you on?
Fox - quicksilver belongs with the x-men 14 15.38%
Marvel - quicksilver belongs with the avengers 43 47.25%
Neither - I never want Quicksilver to appear 8 8.79%
Both 26 28.57%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #26
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: Who's side are you on?

I don't know why I keep saying that.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #27
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

lol. Well I do agree with AMC guy about one thing. There are better Avengers to use.

And if Joss is so worried about using "punchy" avengers he should just say hello to a certain Doctor and a certain Synthezoid. Or Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, the Pyms... :/

All of the above should be considered prior to the twins imo.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #28
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Ant-Man and Wasp are getting their own origin film right after A2, it doesn't make sense to have them in it and step on their own movie in the proces. Likewise with Doctor Strange. We know Black Panther really may be in it. Ms. Marvel...meh, after a certain point you're putting too many heroes in not to mention Ms. Marvel doesn't really solve the power punchy thing a whole lot.

The twins are the oldest Avengers sans the originals. So it makes complete sense that they should be in the sequel.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #29
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

The Maximoffs are absolutely integral to Avenger lore. Scarlet Witch moreso than Quicksilver. She's not a Founder, but she's close enough.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #30
SuperFerret
Class Act

I'm voting Neither because they're both terrible characters and there are far better choices for both movies.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #31
Project862006
Banned User

sorry i prefer to see them in the movie where they can be called mutants and be called by their actual super hero name

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #32
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
it's not a matter of "trying to explain," a lot of people realize the majority of QS and SW history belongs with Avengers.

But (and as the guy in the vid says) they are mutants. The have the x-gene. The x-gene is something that belongs in X-Men films. Avengers hasn't touched on it because they can't, and without it, they have to think up some other origin or no origin whatsoever. Those are my issues.

I think they need an origin. I think it should be an x-gene mutant origin. Therefore I think they should be in X-Men. That's as simple as it gets.

Even with cries of "Joss and Marvel will do the characters better!"

I dont care. Quicksilver is not so important to me.
Namor is a mutant too, but he doesn't belong in the X-Men.

I don't think it should come down to a particular characteristic you were born with that determines where you should go anyway. It's not that far off from people of different nationalities. If there is an "international" student group of Asians somewhere, should people automatically stick someone who looks Asian in that group as well if he or she has been raised and brought up in a Western culture and only speaks English? What people usually mean by these "international groups" is one full of foreign students for whom English is not their first language. The Asian brought up in the West might appear visually the same and have certain common traits, but he or she has been brought up and nurtured completely differently and would have trouble fitting in and communicating.

I voted that the twins should be with the Avengers, where they've spent the majority of their existence associated with that team.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #33
Aztec
Side-Kick

Behind the scenes at the major comic book movie studios:

Marvel: "We should create an ever expanding, interconnected cinematic universe. This way we can introduce many characters, known and unknown, and tell years worth of epic storytelling. In fact, we should use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in our next film to expand our roster."

2 Days Later...
Fox: "Ummm...I just had a brilliant idea. We should create a cine-matronic-a universe. And we'll use the popular characters the Silver Quickster and Charolette Wiccan."

Sony: "Hey, what if we told Spider-Man's origin in the next one?"

WB: "Ummmm....maybe we could....ummmm...hey those Bat flicks were good right?"

Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #34
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
sorry i prefer to see them in the movie where they can be called mutants and be called by their actual super hero name
Since when does Bryan Singer call superheroes by their superhero names? He even made fun of it with Logan's dialogue in X1. Even if Fox are the only ones legally able to use "Scarlet Witch" and "Quicksilver," he'll never call them that. Just "Magneto's Daughter" and "Magneto's Son" in the credits, if that much.

And I fail to see the semantics of calling them something besides "mutants." Their power source was non-genetic from 1962 through the 1980s (it was the convoluted Wundagore saga that explained it), so Marvel Studios has plenty of "authentic" ways to explain their powers besides the X-gene.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #35
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Do all mutants have to be born with the X gene? If "mutants" are, generally speaking, people born with their powers rather than gaining their powers from an external source, couldn't they be metahumans or find some other explanation? Even in the TV series "Heroes" they didn't talk in terms of an X gene.

If DC comics decided they wanted to have characters who were born with their powers, you can be sure they'd still be able to figure out a way, given that they can't use the word mutants at all.

Since the MCU isn't really the Marvel comics universe as such anyway (in that they're not free to use the methods the comics use to explain things), they have to do without things like adamantium, for which they substitute vibranium. They can surely find another way other than the X gene. Are people saying that's the only way in the world to explain people born with powers? If Marvel comics didn't even own the X-Men, they would definitely have to find another explanation if they wanted to go this route.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles never talks about any X gene. And yet, are they not considered mutants within their own universe?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #36
metaphysician
Side-Kick

And there's no reason their power source can't *still* be genetic in Avengers 2. Fox doesn't own the concept of genes granting superpowers, they just have the rights to the word "mutant".

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #37
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter

I'm on Marvel's "side". Heres why:

It's not that I'm against having QS in both films. It could/would be awesome if handled correctly. It's the way Singer/Fox handled it. It was a complete d*ck move on their part. The fact that they waited this long JUST to p*ss Whedon/Marvel off is why I would rather QS and SW just be in A2.

Now if Fox was easier to work with, I might be voting differently, but it was just generally a d*ck move.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #38
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yep, the brain slot takes care of all of this.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Since when does Bryan Singer call superheroes by their superhero names? He even made fun of it with Logan's dialogue in X1. Even if Fox are the only ones legally able to use "Scarlet Witch" and "Quicksilver," he'll never call them that. Just "Magneto's Daughter" and "Magneto's Son" in the credits, if that much.
I believe Storm and Rogue were the only X-Men who went almost exclusively by their code names. The Brotherhood all did, with the exception of interactions between Eric and Charles, highlighted by the wonderful Magneto - Pyro discussion onboard the X-Wing.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #40
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And there's no reason their power source can't *still* be genetic in Avengers 2. Fox doesn't own the concept of genes granting superpowers, they just have the rights to the word "mutant".
The word "mutant" shouldn't even be something that should have been able to be trademarked. It's like Marvel and DC wanting to trademark the words "super hero".

It's not like Marvel invented the word "mutant". Next we'll be hearing that someone wants to trademark the word "power".

There are certain words which are so general and fall into everyday usage that they are excluded from trademark registration. It's why Hoover don't like people referring to all vacuum cleaners (regardless of brand) as hoovers, or all vacuum cleaning activity as hoovering, because it turns it into a generic word and dilutes the trademark.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #41
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Namor is a mutant too, but he doesn't belong in the X-Men.

I don't think it should come down to a particular characteristic you were born with that determines where you should go anyway. It's not that far off from people of different nationalities. If there is an "international" student group of Asians somewhere, should people automatically stick someone who looks Asian in that group as well if he or she has been raised and brought up in a Western culture and only speaks English? What people usually mean by these "international groups" is one full of foreign students for whom English is not their first language. The Asian brought up in the West might appear visually the same and have certain common traits, but he or she has been brought up and nurtured completely differently and would have trouble fitting in and communicating.

I voted that the twins should be with the Avengers, where they've spent the majority of their existence associated with that team.
Namor worked for 30 years before getting that mutant origin, you don't need to explain much, he's the son of a human and an atlantean, having the mutant gene is just a bonus for the character

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
Anubis
Sup?

Disadvantage if you ask me.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #43
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Since when does Bryan Singer call superheroes by their superhero names?
In every single X-Men movie he directed. Multiple times.

"He became Magneto."
"...an associate of his called Sabretooth"
"You must be Wolverine."
"I've had Mystique keep you company... she takes so many shapes."
"Toad has a wicked tongue..."
"Call me 'Iceman.'"
"My name is Kurt Wagner, but in the Munich Circus I was called The Incredible Nightcrawler."

Storm is exclusively called Storm
Rogue is exclusively called Rogue
Professor X is called The Professor, unless addressed by Erik.
Magneto is called Magneto, unless addressed by Charles or Raven
Cyclops is called Cyclops, unless addressed by Jean Grey.

Quote:
He even made fun of it with Logan's dialogue in X1.
And as Zarex points out, goes out of his way to trump that with Magneto's far better and more serious conversation with Pyro.

"What's your name?"
"John."
"What's your real name, John?"
"Pyro."

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
And as Zarex points out, goes out of his way to trump that with Magneto's far better and more serious conversation with Pyro.

"What's your name?"
"John."
"Pyro."
Magneto: What's your name?
John: John.
Magneto: What's your real name, John?
John: John.
Magneto: Yes, but what's your real name?
John: It's John.
Magneto: Yes, but your real, real name?
John: It's... John.
Magneto: Yes, but your actual real name. You can tell me.
John: And I would tell you it's... John.
Magneto: Let's not beat around the bush here. Out with it.
John: It's John you deaf old git!
Magneto: Now, now, young man. No need for insults. I just asked you politely for your name.
John: And I told you. It's... John.
Magneto: Look into your soul John. Think deep about it for a moment and let it simmer. Then tell me your real name.
John: Hmm... let me think... oh wait... could it be... JOHN??

*Then Pyro happens along.*

Pyro: Oh hey Erik. Have you met my friend John?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #45
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
In every single X-Men movie he directed. Multiple times.

"He became Magneto."
"...an associate of his called Sabretooth"
"You must be Wolverine."
"I've had Mystique keep you company... she takes so many shapes."
"Toad has a wicked tongue..."
"Call me 'Iceman.'"
"My name is Kurt Wagner, but in the Munich Circus I was called The Incredible Nightcrawler."

Storm is exclusively called Storm
Rogue is exclusively called Rogue
Professor X is called The Professor, unless addressed by Erik.
Magneto is called Magneto, unless addressed by Charles or Raven
Cyclops is called Cyclops, unless addressed by Jean Grey.

"What's your name?"
"John."
"Pyro."
Very nice.

I'd say Marvel's track record is pretty similar. Its "Captain" or "Captain Rogers" most often, "Stark" or "Mr. Stark" pretty exclusively. Agent Romanoff, never Black Widow. Agent Barton, unless addressed by Black Widow. And of course, THOR! :P

And villains are worse. Vanko, Stane, Blonsky, Schmidt. I wouldnt say either the Singer or Whedon camp is more likely of using the proper codenames.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #46
Filmfreak
Newbie First Class

I know it's the unpopular thing to say and I may belong to the vast minority but for me there's no question about it that Quicksilver belongs first and foremost to the X-Men Universe.

Yes he is one of the first Avengers members and one of the most beloved ones but I think Marvel has like a billion other characters they could use instead. Not that the X-Men gallery is small but at least there they can address both his mutant origin and his relationship with Magneto which are the things that actually make him interesting in the first place.

If however Marvel had the full rights to the character then I think it would be most likely for us to see a better version by Whedon but being that the studios have this special deal I would much rather see him where they have more freedom to explore his character than somewhere where they can offer us a limited version. And again it seems silly to me especially on Marvel's part to follow that route when they have so many other great characters they can do real justice to. It just feels like a pissing contest by both parties and I believe it will end up confusing the general audience.

Filmfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #47
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

I would have preferred that both the twins stayed with X-Men, because I am one who thinks that Diversity is sorely needed for Avengers 2. I would have preferred one of War Machine or Falcon to join the Avengers in Qucksilver's place and replace SW with someone else like Monica Rambeau.

Too late because I don't think Falcon or War Machine will be in Avengers 2 and I don't think we'll ever see Monica in the MCU. Sadly, the team will not be diverse.

They (Marvel Studios) needs to fix the diversity issue on the Avengers. I hope that happens for Avengers 3. Feige and Whedon are not stupid and they know this is an issue, or at least I hope they do.

They can easily fix it by announcing Don Cheadle and/or Anthony Mackie will be in Age of Ultron and announce Black Panther.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #48
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Both, as both have a history with each franchise in the comics.

I wonder Marvel had X-Men and FOX had Avengers if this poll would be different...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #49
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Yeah. I guess I'm finally in the IDONTCAREANYMORE camp.

That is an interesting thought though Gobby.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #50
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukNoris View Post
I'm on Marvel's "side". Heres why:

It's not that I'm against having QS in both films. It could/would be awesome if handled correctly. It's the way Singer/Fox handled it. It was a complete d*ck move on their part. The fact that they waited this long JUST to p*ss Whedon/Marvel off is why I would rather QS and SW just be in A2.

Now if Fox was easier to work with, I might be voting differently, but it was just generally a d*ck move.
Do you have any actual evidence that Singer did that just to piss off Marvel, because I have yet to see any? If you don't, then don't even go there. The script for DOFP was finished LONG before the AOU writing even began. I've seen nothing to indicate that this wasn't always Singer's intention, just people jumping to conclusions.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote