Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #851
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Marvel made some ****** decisions decades ago and built contracts with a ****** legal department on those decisions. Am I supposed to feel sorry for them that their own decisions are biting them in the ass and that mean ole Fox is using a character they have every right to use?

It is what it is.
Though FOX certainly cut a terrific deal for themselves back in the 90s, they (and every other large media company) made an enormous error in not buying Marvel outright. Though we would likely not have a connected universe, FOX could have had the X-Men, Avengers and Spidey under one roof with only Warner Brothers as competition in the superhero genre. Rather than falling behind Disney/Marvel, they would have complete control over publishing and merchandise and controlled the market. A lot of retired film executives are probably still regretting not seeing the potential in superhero films.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #852
JP
To me

Totally.^

Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #853
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

I think they didn't do that because the 90s were the dark ages for comics and comic properties and it looked like superheroes were on the way out with Marvel and DC suffering because of the crash, and comic book properties (like the Phantom, Shadow, Batman Forever) not really doing well either financially or critically. They didn't seem like they were worth buying.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #854
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Joss was on Jimmy Fallon tonight and talked about the Maximoffs being in the film.

Quote:
On the Friday night edition of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Joss Whedon stopped by to promote Much Ado About Nothing, but he also wound up talking about The Avengers 2. When asked by Fallon for an Avengers 2 scoop, Joss Whedon said, “There are new characters. I already said that we’re going to have a brother/sister team, the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, who were great mainstays of The Avengers when I was reading the comics as a kid.”

Jimmy Fallon confessed, “I don’t know either.” Whedon responded, “You don’t?” After assuring Whedon he really didn’t know who either of the characters were, Fallon asked, “Did you cast these guys yet?” Whedon replied, “Not yet, we’re doing that now.” Fallon offered up the suggestion of Selena Gomez as the Scarlet Witch and Channing Tatum as Quicksilver.

As far as why he decided to add Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver to the Avengers 2, Joss Whedon said, “Well, besides the fact that I grew up reading them, their powers are very visually interesting. One of the problems I had on the first one was everybody basically had punchy powers.” Whedon added, “He’s got super speed. She can weave spells and a little telekinesis, get inside your head. There’s good stuff that they can do that will help sort of keep it fresh.”
http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/05/25...-jimmy-fallon/

Thank god we have Joss. I agree 100% about how a lot of the Avengers just have "punchy" powers and that is one of the reasons I'm excited about the two being in Avengers 2.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #855
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

It's interesting that he's still calling them Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Those Borys Kit tweets might not be all that.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #856
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Wow someone actually knows the real history about the characters.

Which is the way it should be anyway.
I had a GREAT library back in the day Mr D. A flood in 86 destroyed most of them sadly

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #857
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Joss was on Jimmy Fallon tonight and talked about the Maximoffs being in the film.

Thank god we have Joss. I agree 100% about how a lot of the Avengers just have "punchy" powers and that is one of the reasons I'm excited about the two being in Avengers 2.
Punchy, Smashy, hammering, projectile tossing and slinging, and energy emitting, and that's all at lunch

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #858
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I imagine Fox and Disney's lawyers are going to be watching each others movies like a hawk. Any breach of contract and they will be on them like white on rice.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #859
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I had a GREAT library back in the day Mr D. A flood in 86 destroyed most of them sadly
That's too bad, those issues will probably be worth a pretty penny by 2015. I wasn't around for it, but I have the whole Avengers archive on my computer.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #860
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
It's interesting that he's still calling them Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Those Borys Kit tweets might not be all that.
Well he might be just using those as shorthand, because more people will immediately know what he's talking about than Pietro and Wanda. However, in the actual movie he might not use the codenames even though they may be marketed as that outside of the films in conversation/ articles or possibly merchandise.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #861
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah they can probably merchandise them as SW and QS, Marvel should have the merchandising rights for them. It's not like they would even be called SW and QS in the film even if they could use their superhero names. It just wouldn't fit in the MCU unless they're SHIELD agents, which would be all kinds of wrong anyway.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #862
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Do we actually have any *evidence* that the names are split between the two companies? We've heard about the mutants vs Avengers part from a credible source, but to the best of my knowledge, we have *not* heard any such thing about the names.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #863
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Any videos of the Fallon show?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #864
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Do we actually have any *evidence* that the names are split between the two companies? We've heard about the mutants vs Avengers part from a credible source, but to the best of my knowledge, we have *not* heard any such thing about the names.
THR writer tweeted about it.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #865
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Well considering the names "Pietro Maximoff" and "Wanda Maximoff" show up on-screen in X2, I assume there's more to it than what he suggests

Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #866
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Any videos of the Fallon show?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/494378

Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #867
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:

Great answers from Joss. It's good that he wants to bring in the characters he liked reading back then as he'll understand them well. Also agreed on the 'punchy powers' thing and that these 2 have visually interesting powers that are quite different to the other Avengers we have so far. Should make for a great mix and I think the relationship between the 2 will be handled really well by Joss.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #868
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Ant-Man and Wasp also have powers which aren't juas punchy.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #869
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I like the characters but I don't think their powers would translate as well as the other Avengers on screen. Hopefully they are integrated at least as background scientists in Avengers 2 and can be built on from there.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #870
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Which is probably why we are also getting them in 2015, more then likely before Ms Marvel and Black Panther show up.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #871
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

I am not saying this would happen, but if Marvel really wants to beat Fox to the punch they can introduce Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as Pietro and Wanda in one of two after credit scenes for Thor The Dark World (save the other after credit scene for something more related to Thor). Then they could go to the Agents of Shield TV. show and at some point start into the introduction of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (and even call them such) since they are not in the movie verse at that point, but on Television instead. They can even go more into their origins and the whole Mutant connection introducing Magneto as their father and do all kinds of crazy stuff and since it is on TV they could even cameo other Mutants if they wanted. Then when it is time for Avengers 2 most of their backstory and characters will have been developed enough so that they can continue to call them Pietro and Wanda and everyone would still know they are Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and a lengthy explanation of their origin becomes somewhat unnecessary.

I just think that the whole inclusion of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch move by Fox is sudden and perhaps a way of them hating on Marvel because of their success, and maybe it's even because Marvel used the Chitauri before Fox could use the Skrulls in one of their Fantastic Four films. Not that Marvel is perfect, because I feel they have made some mistakes also in their films, but the bottom line is that if Fox wants their films to be more successful then make better CBM's, and this goes for Marvel as well because their success can drop if they are not careful.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #872
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
I am not saying this would happen, but if Marvel really wants to beat Fox to the punch they can introduce Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as Pietro and Wanda in one of two after credit scenes for Thor The Dark World (save the other after credit scene for something more related to Thor).
Yeah, or Winter Soldier. They will both be cast before those films come out, so Id say its def a possibility.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #873
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah, or Winter Soldier. They will both be cast before those films come out, so Id say its def a possibility.
Yeah, but Thor the Dark World would give Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch more time to develop as characters in Agents of Shield (provided they go that route), as well as give them the opportunity to have truer origin's with Magneto then if they choose to include them as a after scenes credit with Winter Soldier. I suppose, either could work though as far as getting them out their first if that is what they want.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #874
sabetoonth
Who?

What Surfer just said makes me curious. Does Marvel have the TV rights to all/most of their characters? And if they have the X-Men would that be a loophole for the Magneto/Mutants thing in the MCU if they were limited to TV? Maybe a stupid thought/question but one that might be worth discussing none the less.

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #875
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabetoonth View Post
What Surfer just said makes me curious. Does Marvel have the TV rights to all/most of their characters? And if they have the X-Men would that be a loophole for the Magneto/Mutants thing in the MCU if they were limited to TV? Maybe a stupid thought/question but one that might be worth discussing none the less.
They do, but with many restrictions. There was a lawsuit filed by FOX back in 2001 against Marvel due to their involvement in the launch of the Mutant X tv show. FOX's contention was that Marvel and Tribune Entertainment intentionally attempted to link the series to FOX's X-Men films - which is probably why Singer quickly changed his Quicksilver tweet when he appeared to be doing the same thing. Mutant X went so far as to use X Men movie footage in its original promo spots - a clear violation. Though FOX and Marvel reached a settlement a decade ago, it appears to be a very murky area in which Marvel would have to prove they weren't negatively impacting their film licenses by including characters in a tv show. Disney would likely want to avoid legal action on this matter.

Closed Thread