The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #76
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,384
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

overall i don't agree with the idea that wolverine needs to be doing everything because he is the most popular character, i mean yeah it was the idea it seemed FOX was going for with X3 to the point it didn't feel like an Xmen movie but more Wolverine and the Xmen, i mean every poster was wolverine center stage and the 3 was just his claws

but i think that was stupidity on FOX count, i don't think you need to have him hog screentime to get people to go to the cinema to see it, its not like audiences will walk out if wolverine isn't on screen for 10 min otherwise we should be worried about this franchise, plus nor do i think giving him more screen time will make people love the film

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 05-25-2013 at 12:40 PM.
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #77
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

cant agree more with your post.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #78
BMM
Side-Kick
 
BMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,160
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Wolverine was a good gateway character to use, and it was smart on Fox's part given his popularity, but they should have moved passed using him as a crutch and started to better develop other characters and storylines, especially by X-Men 3.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #79
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,447
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Wolverine was a good gateway character to use, and it was smart on Fox's part given his popularity, but they should have moved passed using him as a crutch and started to better develop other characters and storylines, especially by X-Men 3.
Yeah, it's not difficult to see why they went that route. But its been a poor decision in the long run of the series to rely on only him as the lead. Too much potential in other big name characters.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #80
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Fox could have easily shared the lead between Wolverine, Cyclops and Gambit. To me, the three heavy heights regarding the male x-men and popularity.

To me they could have been like the Ironman, Thor and Cap of Marvel, with the three characters having a big part on their universe.

But sadly Fox went with the cheapest option. and less exciting, of course.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #81
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 30,925
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Good points, all.

It's almost as if FOX has a problem identical to Warner Bros. That studio is using Batman and Superman as the very "crutch" BMM mentions--for the greater part of nearly 40 years they've been unable to move past developing those two characters cinematically. DC has a great stable of fine characters (i.e. Wonder Woman, etc.,) but they've never gotten attention because WB basically doesn't know what to do with them.

The same holds true with FOX and its X-Men franchise. To date, they've proven they really don't know what to do with the comic's main marquee characters, so they just continue developing (and over-developing) Wolverine, Magneto and to a lesser extent Xavier.

It's almost as if they're terrified of telling a movie story without those three characters dominating the storyline. So sad.

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #82
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

it really is.

They have Cyclops, Gambit, Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, Archangel... all waiting to be exploited.

I mean, they could do WONDERS with these characters working on the same movie as Storm, Rogue, Kitty, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and co.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #83
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 30,925
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

I will probably never forgive FOX for making two of the X-Men's most powerful and vocal leaders--Cyclops and Storm--the meekest and weakest so that Wolverine could shine. This is the main reason these films don't work so well in the characterization department....there's no balance.

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #84
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

well... being honest, Bryan was the director and was part of the script, so.... it wasnt just Fox.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #85
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

I've never bought into this idea that certain characters who've been used in the X-Franchise to date have been in any way 'shafted' in favor of certain other characters; I've also never understood this idea that The Last Stand is Wolverine-centric; if there's a singular central character in that movie, it's actually Jean.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #86
JP
Flame On
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 51,623
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I've never bought into this idea that certain characters who've been used in the X-Franchise to date have been in any way 'shafted' in favor of certain other characters; I've also never understood this idea that The Last Stand is Wolverine-centric; if there's a singular central character in that movie, it's actually Jean.
O, yeah?


JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #87
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 30,925
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
well... being honest, Bryan was the director and was part of the script, so.... it wasnt just Fox.
FOX hired Bryan. And they keep hiring him. So the buck stops with them ultimately.

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #88
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,384
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I've never bought into this idea that certain characters who've been used in the X-Franchise to date have been in any way 'shafted' in favor of certain other characters; I've also never understood this idea that The Last Stand is Wolverine-centric; if there's a singular central character in that movie, it's actually Jean.
wolverine was center stage on the posters, he took cyclops role in trying to save jean, he took the leader role at the end, he also had this working as a team subplot

if jean wasn't killing or trying to seduce logan she was a mute sadly

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #89
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

^ Promotional material means jack-squatt when it comes to the actual content of a film's storyline. In terms of its actual plot, The Last Stand is Jean's story... plain and simple. It starts with Jean and it ends with Jean. Just because Wolverine happens to have a key role to play in that story doesn't make it his story or mean that he's pushed to the forefront, focus-wise, over her or anyone else.

By the argument you're making, The Phantom Menace was Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi's story, even though it was really Padme's story and Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Jar Jar, and even Anakin were merely key figures in it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #90
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

are u serious?

Last Stand had Jean in some key scenes, but the BIG lead was Wolverine, during the whole movie.

Jean appeared a few times here and there, but had much less dialogue and screentime.

Wolverine and Magneto had bigger roles than Jean, so, they were the leads, not Jean.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #91
NanaT
X-Men United!
 
NanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ Promotional material means jack-squatt when it comes to the actual content of a film's storyline. In terms of its actual plot, The Last Stand is Jean's story... plain and simple. It starts with Jean and it ends with Jean. Just because Wolverine happens to have a key role to play in that story doesn't make it his story or mean that he's pushed to the forefront, focus-wise, over her or anyone else.

By the argument you're making, The Phantom Menace was Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi's story, even though it was really Padme's story and Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Jar Jar, and even Anakin were merely key figures in it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that posters on here said that the X3 and the whole original trilogy were wolverine centric not wolverine's story. I think there is a big difference between the two.

__________________
X-MEN
Alone, You Are Mighty
Together, You Are LEGENDS!
- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #92
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
are u serious?

Last Stand had Jean in some key scenes, but the BIG lead was Wolverine, during the whole movie.

Jean appeared a few times here and there, but had much less dialogue and screentime.

Wolverine and Magneto had bigger roles than Jean, so, they were the leads, not Jean.
Just because Jean isn't in every single scene in The Last Stand doesn't make the storyline any less about her or make her the central figure in it.

BTW, the same thing applies to X-Men, which was Rogue's story.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #93
Obsidian Idea
Hear the rain...
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 308
Cool Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
O, yeah?

I would love to see Helena Cassadine marvelized....if ever there was a "White Queen" in the soaps...she was it!

__________________
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27 (New King James Version)

Last edited by Obsidian Idea; 05-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Obsidian Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #94
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

how would you guys react if Singer ends tweeting this soon?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Thrilled to say #MichelleTrachtenberg is joining #XMen #DaysOfFuturePast as #ScarletWitch.


?

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #95
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I've never bought into this idea that certain characters who've been used in the X-Franchise to date have been in any way 'shafted' in favor of certain other characters; I've also never understood this idea that The Last Stand is Wolverine-centric; if there's a singular central character in that movie, it's actually Jean.
Cyclops was shafted, and every movie was centered around Wolverine and especially X2 that was a taste of his orgins. The XMen are a team who work very well together I dont see how you think that everyone in the X-Franchise was treated the same its obvious Wolverine was the star and he was overused I started off liking him but then I was tired of seeing him dominate most of the scenes.

BeholdMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #96
DarknessOfDeath
Trust no one...but Cobie!
 
DarknessOfDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: How I met Agent Maria Hill...true story ;)
Posts: 26,534
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Honestly, I was fine with X1 and X2 cause it didn't feel like he was being shoehorned into every single scene whereas in X3, he was and that's when i thought, oh boy, he's being shoved down our throats and its too much. I got tired after X3 because it was all about Wolverine when it shouldn't have been. The movie was doom from the start anyway the moment Singer left. Honestly, I don't think Singer would have done what Fox and Ratner did to X3. Singer would have kept the same kind of tone he had with his first two x-films, thus for X3, Scott and Jean would be more prominent because of the Dark Phoenix storyline.

__________________
To Marvel:
Eva Green for Lady Loki or Enchantress or Elektra!

Get your game on, Marvel!!
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #97
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

I agree ^^it was tolerable for me at least until the 3rd movie it was increasing by each film. I know Singer would have done a great x3,the whole Dark Pheonix concept would have been different and IMO so much better.

BeholdMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #98
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!
 
Mulholland-Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,102
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Wolverine is just a red herring in X1. I don't see everyone's beef with that one. In X2 his past tied into a much larger story. If he was really the "crutch" everyone makes him out to be in that movie, then he would have been the one that saved the day at the end wouldn't you say? In fact, all he does in the climax is fight a "henchman" and slash a switch to barricade the flood. He didn't really do anything that affected the plot. Didn't he abandon his team just to satisfy his own personal vendetta? What a jerk!

But yeah, X3 was... *sigh*. His fling with Jean was over-emphasized and his character arc made no sense. It should have been Cyclops and Wolverine butting heads. Shouldn't have been that hard. It's pretty much spelled out at the end of X2.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #99
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Future
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
marvlrobbins, I look at your posts and most of what I see is assumption based on very little information. Unless Singer or someone else has flat-out said that Wolverine is going to be one of the time travelers or that Bishop is only going to be part of the future scenes, filming schedules really don't tell us much at all. Just because an actor interacts only with certain actors doesn't mean that said actor won't appear on-screen with actors with whom they didn't interact, especially with today's CGI technology.

The Last Stand's problem wasn't that it had too many characters, BTW; its problem was that Brett Ratner really wasn't the best person to make the juxtaposition of the film's two plotlines and myriad of characters work. If you were to take The Last Stand exactly as it was and replace Ratner with, say, Joss Whedon, Christopher Nolan, Matthew Vaughn, or even Singer himself, you'd end up with a movie that would've been as good as or better than the first two films and First Class.

TLS is an OK film that could've/would've been better with a different director helming it.

Singer knows how to make things that might seem overly complex very simple and I therefore see no reason to make assumptions about how things can or can't work when it comes to time travel and utilizing the movie's large cast effectively, especially when we have very little actual information about the specifics of the film.
I am very interested to see if Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg could come up with a great film here. Singer directed X1/X2, Kinberg wrote X3 and they both produced First Class. I hope Kinberg improved so much just by working with Singer.

__________________
X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST
The future of X-Men's original trilogy cast begins this May!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #100
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Future
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Good points, all.

It's almost as if FOX has a problem identical to Warner Bros. That studio is using Batman and Superman as the very "crutch" BMM mentions--for the greater part of nearly 40 years they've been unable to move past developing those two characters cinematically. DC has a great stable of fine characters (i.e. Wonder Woman, etc.,) but they've never gotten attention because WB basically doesn't know what to do with them.

The same holds true with FOX and its X-Men franchise. To date, they've proven they really don't know what to do with the comic's main marquee characters, so they just continue developing (and over-developing) Wolverine, Magneto and to a lesser extent Xavier.

It's almost as if they're terrified of telling a movie story without those three characters dominating the storyline. So sad.
I don't think FOX doesn't know what to do with their characters its just that they focused on Wolverine because they know he's the most marketable character in the series. They also focused a lot to Professor X and Magneto because they're the ying and the yang of the series. It also has something with the writers of the previous films, they needed to focus on 1 to 3 characters to give the story more depth. There will be main characters, supporting characters and minor roles. But I hope after DOFP, this will change.

__________________
X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST
The future of X-Men's original trilogy cast begins this May!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.