The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fandom Come > Fan Art

Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Glassjaw
In training

Default My superhero art

Greetings all! I recently graduated from an illustration course at university, which was all very serious and academic. One of the first things I drew after finishing was something that I hadn't done in a long time, despite being dear to my heart - super heroes.

First up a quick Iron Man one, I like how he turned out, so I need to attempt a full body one at some stage.

Next up I wanted to make a poster for the release of TDKR, so here's a few images of how it came together

Thats all for now, I'm ridiculously excited for Man of Steel so a teaser poster might be the next thing I try to tackle, many thanks for looking!

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Juggertha
Side-Kick

Default Re: My superhero art

I dig the vibe on some of those posters.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Reikowolf
Hyperphotonic

"come at me, bro"

see it now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_Lj8ty2tA

@hyperphotonic
Reikowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
grafffik
Side-Kick

Not too bad - if unaware of them "french Curves" is a must, so you can avoid those jagged polygonnal type edges - unless that is your intent? Please don't take this wrong - it is simply friendly advice similar to what i have got by professionals

grafffik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
chusiuon

nice ART

chusiuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
RogueDK
Agent Of The Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikowolf View Post
"come at me, bro"
This made me lol.

I'm really loving that Bane poster. Great work.

"Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but it's certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots as the tortured avenger...crying out for Mommy & Daddy..."
RogueDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Glassjaw
In training

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafffik View Post
Not too bad - if unaware of them "french Curves" is a must, so you can avoid those jagged polygonnal type edges - unless that is your intent? Please don't take this wrong - it is simply friendly advice similar to what i have got by professionals
That's great advice thanks, hadn't heard of french curves at all, after a google search I'm now all the wiser! Now to just avoid doing it

Anyway my next superhero piccy, I wanted this to be like a 'teaser' poster, much like a teaser trailer doesn't show too much. I'll definitely attempt a more dynamic one closer to June next year

Old 12-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
B-man
ThunderBack.

nice work fella.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Syncos
ROFLICIOUS

Your style is stunning. I love the brush stroke look.
Looks as though you could work on your typography a bit. Trust me, as I've struggled with typography since I started as a graphic designer. The problem doesn't seem to be your skills, i'm sure you've got those. But your type seems like an after thought.

Plan ahead for it. In some cases, dial it back a bit. In the case of your superman poster, "Summer 2013" is the only type on the page, so it's going to stand out regardless, it doesn't need to be anywhere near that large.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #10
MontesGraphics
New User - Level 0

Very Deco-esque, I like.

MontesGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
grafffik
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=Glassjaw;24893039]Thanks all!

That's great advice thanks, hadn't heard of french curves at all, after a google search I'm now all the wiser! Now to just avoid doing it

Anyway my next superhero piccy, I wanted this to be like a 'teaser' poster, much like a teaser trailer doesn't show too much. I'll definitely attempt a more dynamic one closer to June next year

NP - french curves, and similar devices come in a variety of types - such as Ovals, circles, squares, pre-set designs / symbols , variety of common curves and so on. On hand drawn art this saves alot of time on Tracing and finals. I have even seen comic book artists use these to quickly finish their products

you can still of course do your sketch without but when you want to make those hard final lines USE THEM
again just my 2 1/2 cents worth - do as you will

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
TheGreg

Love thos Bane poster! I wish so bad i could draw!

TheGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
Filmboy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Greetings all! I recently graduated from an illustration course at university, which was all very serious and academic. One of the first things I drew after finishing was something that I hadn't done in a long time, despite being dear to my heart - super heroes.

First up a quick Iron Man one, I like how he turned out, so I need to attempt a full body one at some stage.

Next up I wanted to make a poster for the release of TDKR, so here's a few images of how it came together

Thats all for now, I'm ridiculously excited for Man of Steel so a teaser poster might be the next thing I try to tackle, many thanks for looking!

Amazing. You're really very talented. Love the Bane posters.

Filmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Glassjaw
In training

Thanks for all the kind words guys, this is all in my spare time so it means a lot coming from people who aren't bias, i.e friends or family! And thanks grafffik for the continued feed back, my technique tends to be just bludgen my way through a piece of work, using the undo function as much as I need to, so techniques like your describing would definitely help me get things on track more efficiently I suspect. I too have seen comic book artists using shapes like that,I need to start adopting it, especially if it makes form in images that much stronger.
And thanks Syncos for the feedback, you're absolutely right the text is often an afterthought for me, which no doubt shows. I tried to be a bit more conscious of it this time, and reduced the font size, like you said it doesn't need to be big at all.

Here's my next poster for Man of Steel. It's a simple one again, as I did it to have a break from something else I was working on and wanted to bash it out in an evening (it took 2 in the end).

And a movie accurate, no 'S' on cape version

Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
Glassjaw
In training

Man of Steel portrait

Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
RaginBull

Nice work!

RaginBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
grafffik
Side-Kick

A game called SKYRIM has a feature on loading screens you can see character images in 3d surround by moving the mouse around - you can also lower settings to make most images look more rough and jagged in the settings. The reason I mention this game is it shows a lot of figures you can use for inspiration , and how they smoothed the Jagged lines in a bit more detail however the edges on these are still generally jagged and rough. though they did them in such a way that it moves somewhat seamlessly together unless you pay really close attention

A rough example would be from Zelda 64 game an image shown here -> http://www.rarewarecentral.com/sites/default/files/Ocarina%20of%20Time%20%23%201_2.png

To get a similar effect you can do certain brushes in photoshop to your existing art and add like a 20 percent blurring

Anyways only free simple advice keep on drawing

some of the loading screens (though not in surround images) can be seen on google images typing "Skyrim loading screen" without quotes

Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafffik View Post
A game called SKYRIM has a feature on loading screens you can see character images in 3d surround by moving the mouse around - you can also lower settings to make most images look more rough and jagged in the settings. The reason I mention this game is it shows a lot of figures you can use for inspiration , and how they smoothed the Jagged lines in a bit more detail however the edges on these are still generally jagged and rough. though they did them in such a way that it moves somewhat seamlessly together unless you pay really close attention

A rough example would be from Zelda 64 game an image shown here -> http://www.rarewarecentral.com/sites/default/files/Ocarina%20of%20Time%20%23%201_2.png

To get a similar effect you can do certain brushes in photoshop to your existing art and add like a 20 percent blurring

Anyways only free simple advice keep on drawing

some of the loading screens (though not in surround images) can be seen on google images typing "Skyrim loading screen" without quotes
I might have sunk a 'few' hours into Skyrim so I know exactly what you're talking about So you think the edge's are a little too sharp/jagedy in the illustrations? I've experimented very little with brushes on photoshop, only just started using pre-sets, so I'll definitely play about with the blurring and see if the lines become less harsh on the eye. Thanks again!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
grafffik
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
I might have sunk a 'few' hours into Skyrim so I know exactly what you're talking about So you think the edge's are a little too sharp/jagedy in the illustrations? I've experimented very little with brushes on photoshop, only just started using pre-sets, so I'll definitely play about with the blurring and see if the lines become less harsh on the eye. Thanks again!
Very well - Using the game itself however on the loading screen allows for moving the images themselves around - if you go into your settings and turn off ALIASING (to 0 samples) you can actually see how the images should look with minimal or no aliasing in different angles. You can also see many objects in the game in the heroes inventory by moving it around - I am not really telling you to stop said lines, just see how others do it with 3d software

mostly they still use the lines - however they make better angles with it - for example instead of a pure straight line section it off to like 3-4 straight lines with slight curve variances - so the joints on meeting are not as obvious.
hope it helps

Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #20
hjb155

these are amazing!! im extremely impressed!!

hjb155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
Glassjaw
In training

I'm really looking forward to the Flash pilot, I thought Barry's introduction into Arrow was done really nicely, so fingers crossed the series is a hit. I'm still working on the actor's likeness for this pic, but I need a break from working on this before I take another pass at it.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #22
artofgeorge

Wow I love your Bane piece! Great job!!

artofgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #23
zhd05
Side-Kick

Really like your style, very distinctive!

zhd05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #24
Glassjaw
In training

Thanks guys! Means alot. I've updated my flash piece, the likeness is hopefully that bit closer to the actor from the new tv show. Felt inspired after watching the new trailer to add the quote.

Second is a work in progress and part of a bigger poster I'm doing for Cap. My hype levels for this film were high so I had to start drawing something for it, but it's taking its time coming together.