The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #501
Cain
Man of Tomorrow
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Live from New York
Posts: 5,129
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
not true! I love the film! saw it like 6 times in the theater when it came out.

like others have said,it's just that it's 20 + years old now,and it's not that there isn't anything to talk about,it's just that it's rare to find something NEW to talk about!

but....next year is the 25th Anniversary. and I have a feeling we'll see a lot of stuff come out to commemorate it. I'd LOVE WB forever if they do a theatrical rerelease,even a limited one-week run or something!
I'd watch it every day of that week for sure. Especially since I didn't get to see it in cinemas the first time around since I was vacationing out of the country that summer.

Your '89 merch collection is awesome BTW

__________________
Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is online now  
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #502
the5timechamp
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 174
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Oh crap a Bob doll... I thought Nicholson would have bought all those up (he seemed particularly obsessed in singing the praises of Bob in the special features).

If Forza 4 wants to make a quick buck they should license all the Batmobiles and let me drive them in the game.

the5timechamp is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #503
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 67,888
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3


__________________
THRILLER
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #504
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,570
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Wow, looking at those toys on the last page... major nostalgia. I actually have the Batmobile toy somewhere in the attic - the one that the action figures fit in. One of my favorite toys from my childhood.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #505
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 20,379
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

I have half the old Batwing lol

__________________
"Any bird can build a nest, but it isn't everyone that can lay an egg "
Stan Laurel
Rodrigo90 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #506
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

one interesting thing that I think a lot of people overlook:

Batman was considered a bit of a risk. WB pumped the money into it to make it good,but there were some concerns:

1) Michael Keaton as Batman. we ALL know the firestorm this caused! and there was plenty of talk that he might ruin the movie.

2) Tim Burton. he had success with Pee Wee and Beetlejuice. but this was his 1st truly major motion picture project. and it was a big unknown if he could direct outside of his comfy "quirky zone".

3) The Budget. at the time the budget "escalated" from $30 million to $48 million due to the Writer's Strike. nowadays,that's what they pay Robert Downey Jr. just to star in a film,but back then,it was considered a higher end budget,especially for a "comic-book film". and I know it made the suits at WB nervous. hell,a whole scene (the horseback-riding scene) was cut to prevent more money be added to the budget.


so we can look on this great film now,and see the hype that came with it,and it's obvious success. but to Warner Brothers,it was considered a gamble when production began in late 1988.

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #507
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Wow, looking at those toys on the last page... major nostalgia. I actually have the Batmobile toy somewhere in the attic - the one that the action figures fit in. One of my favorite toys from my childhood.
I will say,walking into Toys R Us in May 1989 ( I remember it was then because I had just gone to see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade at a theater about 30 minutes away from here,as neither of the 2 theaters in town were showing it. and the TRU was across the street) and seeing the Toy Biz Batman figures on the pegs was a geek-out moment for me!! for some reason,around here anyway,The Joker was hard to find at first. didn't get him til after the movie came out.

for the record,those aren't the figures I got back in 1989. those were opened and played with. these ones,a friend was cleaning out his mother's attic and found this stuff that he used to have,so he sold them to me.actually,ALL the stuff on that shelf is from him,minus the newer 1/50 scale Hot Wheels stuff...

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #508
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Hobgoblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lost with a faulty compass.
Posts: 18,922
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

An unseen poster from Batman 1989. Pretty cool, I thought.

http://moviepilot.com/stories/967099...el-superheroes

Hobgoblin is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #509
Merlo
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 220
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

The art work on the poster is great. I'm not sure about Bruce yelling at Joker in Vick's apartment, was he actually pissed off or was he pretending to be? If he was pretending to then what the hell was his goal?

Merlo is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #510
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Hi, I'm Racer Morose.

I was a teenager when Batman 89 was released and I ahted everything about it before seeing it. Keaton as Batman, the black armored suit, Joker having so much screentime, etc.

But since the moment I saw it, it became my favorite Batman version. And one of the best superhero movie I had seen, along with Superman. And that opinion didn't change until I saw Nolan's The Dark Knight, which I consider a triumph within the genre.

I love almost everything about this movie, even with its flaws. Sure, you scratch your head wondering how come Batman couldn't trace the Joker's toxics back to AXIS chemicals before or why Alfred thought Vicky Vale deserved to be told "the truth", but all in all Keaton, the comedian, turned into the most terrifying bloodcurdling Batman I've seen. It's incredible how his presence taints all the movie, even the scenes he's not in. How he was keep hidden and misterious by Burton. And Nicholson... well, he was born the Joker so he just let everything out. When he laughs, you can see the laughyter flooding everything on screen.

It's very well known that gotham City was genius, hell breaking through pavement and all that. And what to say about Elfman's magnificent score.

The 1939 Batman was captured to perfection here.

I don't hesitate to call this a classic in the superhero genre.

5/5


Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 06-02-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #511
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

The Vickie thing...

it's just... I don't want to say a condemnation of Alfred. but,really,he met Vickie 3 times total:

1) a brief encounter the night of the charity casino ball
2) the night of Bruce and Vickie's "date",telling stories about young Bruce
3) seeing her out the next morning

yet,he feels she's "special" and deserves to know the truth? Jesus Christ,was he SO desperate for Bruce to not be Batman that he wanted a chick he barely knew (and who's sole purpose of coming to Gotham was to EXPOSE BATMAN!!!) to be Bruce's soulmate? Holy s#it,she's in the journalism business! he's damned lucky she DID care enough for Bruce not to tell Knox,have them publish a story exposing Bruce as Batman,and they'd both be sitting in jail!

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #512
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
The Vickie thing...

it's just... I don't want to say a condemnation of Alfred. but,really,he met Vickie 3 times total:

1) a brief encounter the night of the charity casino ball
2) the night of Bruce and Vickie's "date",telling stories about young Bruce
3) seeing her out the next morning

yet,he feels she's "special" and deserves to know the truth? Jesus Christ,was he SO desperate for Bruce to not be Batman that he wanted a chick he barely knew (and who's sole purpose of coming to Gotham was to EXPOSE BATMAN!!!) to be Bruce's soulmate? Holy s#it,she's in the journalism business! he's damned lucky she DID care enough for Bruce not to tell Knox,have them publish a story exposing Bruce as Batman,and they'd both be sitting in jail!
Plotholes, man. You can find at least one in every superhero movie, Batman included. At least B89 can say there was a Writers Guild of America strike while it was being shot.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #513
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
Plotholes, man. You can find at least one in every superhero movie, Batman included. At least B89 can say there was a Writers Guild of America strike while it was being shot.
I know man...I know. but that's the one that always gets me. frigging LOVE Bruce calling him out on it in Batman Returns!

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #514
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
I know man...I know. but that's the one that always gets me. frigging LOVE Bruce calling him out on it in Batman Returns!
Oh, yes. But Bruce should have remembered that he agreed on telling her the secret.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #515
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
Oh, yes. But Bruce should have remembered that he agreed on telling her the secret.
this was also a bit mind-blowing to me. he had one date with her - ONE - and was ready to spill the beans! she must've been a hell of a lay !

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #516
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
this was also a bit mind-blowing to me. he had one date with her - ONE - and was ready to spill the beans! she must've been a hell of a lay !
That I can understand. He is just not a normal man. Had issues... special non-affective issues. Specially the way Burton had the character portrayed. So I can get he falls in love in such a short time. It's not like it doesn't happen in real life either (and with less troubled people than Bruce Wayne). But Alfred should be there to say "think again, young master."

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #517
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 20,379
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Out of all superheroes, the one I can identify the most is with Keaton's Bruce Wayne. Very similar...that ain't cool lol

__________________
"Any bird can build a nest, but it isn't everyone that can lay an egg "
Stan Laurel
Rodrigo90 is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #518
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,158
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5timechamp View Post
Oh crap a Bob doll...
Action figure!



Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
But seriously, "action figure".
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

__________________

Travesty is online now  
Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #519
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
That I can understand. He is just not a normal man. Had issues... special non-affective issues. Specially the way Burton had the character portrayed. So I can get he falls in love in such a short time. It's not like it doesn't happen in real life either (and with less troubled people than Bruce Wayne). But Alfred should be there to say "think again, young master."
good point. I actually had a friend who basically fell in love with the first chick he slept with. it...it didn't end well. I find it a little hard to believe this was the first woman Bruce ever slept with,but...it's not impossible. he was a complete mystery, his file at the newspaper basically had nothing in it,so he wasn't the comic Bruce,dating starlets and such,and being such a recluse...maybe Vickie WAS his first sexual encounter? and he went all insane in the membrane? he confused his attraction to her and her interest in his mysteriousness as love.cause I really don't think Vickie was in love with him. attracted,sure. but love? she went on one date with him,slept with him,got pissed when he lied to her about going out of town (making her fell as if she was used as a one night stand),then was intrigued with the mystery surrounding him,in a journalistic type of way. but I never got the impression she thought of Bruce as her like soulmate or anything.

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"

Last edited by mikey1974; 05-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #520
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
good point. I actually had a friend who basically fell in love with the first chick he slept with. it...it didn't end well. I find it a little hard to believe this was the first woman Bruce ever slept with,but...it's not impossible. he was a complete mystery, his file at the newspaper basically had nothing in it,so he wasn't the comic Bruce,dating starlets and such,and being such a recluse...maybe Vickie WAS his first sexual encounter? and he went all insane in the membrane? he confused his attraction to her and her interest in his mysteriousness as love.cause I really don't think Vickie was in love with him. attracted,sure. but love? she went on one date with him,slept with him,got pissed when he lied to her about going out of town (making her fell as if she was used as a one night stand),then was intrigued with the mystery surrounding him,in a journalistic type of way. but I never got the impression she thought of Bruce as her like soulmate or anything.
I also think she got hooked by the mysterious Bruce Wayne personality. And the fact that he lied to her increased her interest, like she really loved him more the more he hides from her. But once the mystery was over... she quickly lost interest.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #521
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 3,002
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

I love Keaton addressing all his "haters" at the end (prompted by Nicholson no less!) haha

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________

Ponyboy is offline  
Old 05-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #522
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,256
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

I can't be cynical and overanalyze Bruce/Vicki that much. Frankly, in most films, especially films before the whole "Everything has to make absolute perfect sense or else we'll nitpick it" era that we're now in had relationships that developed quickly. I'm not gonna look at Bruce/Vicki with a overly realistic lens and go "Bruce only dug her cause she's the first girl he diddled, and she only likes him for his mystery". I think their connection was genuine, even if the execution of their romance dosen't hold up to 21st century scrutiny.

Once again, this isn't real life, its the movies.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline  
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #523
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I can't be cynical and overanalyze Bruce/Vicki that much. Frankly, in most films, especially films before the whole "Everything has to make absolute perfect sense or else we'll nitpick it" era that we're now in had relationships that developed quickly. I'm not gonna look at Bruce/Vicki with a overly realistic lens and go "Bruce only dug her cause she's the first girl he diddled, and she only likes him for his mystery". I think their connection was genuine, even if the execution of their romance dosen't hold up to 21st century scrutiny.

Once again, this isn't real life, its the movies.
Yes, I totally agree. I remember how Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese fell in love after just one night.

That's why, even when I mentioned those points, I completely give a 5/5 for this movie.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #524
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
I love Keaton addressing all his "haters" at the end (prompted by Nicholson no less!) haha

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Thanks a bunch for posting this I had never seen it before.

__________________
MY VIDEO REVIEW SHOW: EPIC FILM GUYS
www.youtube.com/epicfilmguysny www.facebook.com/epicfilmguys
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #525
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.
 
Pfeiffer-Pfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,102
Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

It seems that Keaton and Nicholson really got on... That's wonderful.

The Batman and Joker of my childhood (Minus Conroy and Hamill).

__________________
Michelle Pfeiffer:
Cool Rider, Catwoman, Diamond and all round Goddess
http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.