The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #101
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: Doctor Who - Regeneration 9 - Part 9

I do not want them to bring back the Master.
His arc concluded beautifully and bringing him back would undermine a lot of it.
However, if they do, I would prefer they bring back Simm. He invigorated the role and can still pull it off. And as to the concern over Cumberbatch, he made it clear in an interview a year or so ago that he has not interest in Doctor Who...which is fine, as his film career has taken off. Sadly, new-Who is not a program known for boosting careers in Hollywood.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 05-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #102
regwec
Shakespearo

I think it is inevitable that the The Master will reappear at some point- it is just a matter of time. Once you have established a recurring villain, they are all but impossible to kill off for good.

Which classic adversaries are due another shot? I'm quite partial to the Sea Devils, even moreso after the Silurians were (in my opinion) completely ruined. I would like to see Ogrons appear with the Daleks when they resurface, too.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #103
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

New Who is like some kind of inverse version of the 80's. They couldn't stop using the Master back then, and the Doctor never used his sonic screwdriver.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #104
Lord Valumart
Hype's Dr - It's Canon

He never used it because it was blown up and he refused to make another one because he was too busy telling Tegan to shut up, choking Peri, or emotionally crippling Ace...

Anyhow, I still hold out hope for a 1950's set Blackpool adventure with the Sea Devils and the Master that ends with an epic sword fight through the Tower Ballroom...

Twitter: @lordvalumart
Old 05-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #105
regwec
Shakespearo

That would be pretty cool. I would enjoy a siege scenario featuring the Sea Devils and St Michael's Mount (google if you haven't been there- stunning place).

Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #106
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

I'd love to see the death of the sonic screwdriver for a while. Is there anything it doesn't do?

But in all seriousness, it would be great to see John Simm return to the Master role...only for him to regenerate.

Last edited by RetroNaz; 05-26-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #107
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroNaz View Post
I'd love to see the death of the sonic screwdriver for a while. Is there anything it doesn't do?

Wood

Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #108
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Old Amy was right to call it a sonic probe in "The Girl Who Waited."

Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #109
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Doctor-Who-thunderingly-racist.

Quote:
A new collection of essays analysing the adventures of the Time Lord, titled Doctor Who And Race, suggests that the BBC cult programme is based on outdated attitudes.
Several of the 23 contributors to the book claim the failure to cast a black or Asian actor as the Doctor demonstrates an overarching racism.
Early versions of the show were also criticised for casting white actors in ethnic roles such as John Bennett, who played a Chinese villain in the storyline The Talons Of Weng- Chiang.
Author Amit Gupta, an American professor, even suggests Peter Davison’s cricket loving Doctor harked back to the 'racial and class nostalgia’ of the British Imperialism.
There was also criticism of the introduction and Adolf Hitler as a character last year, which was condemned as 'slapstick’, and said did nothing to increase understanding of the Holocaust.
Related Articles
Doctor Who fans flood BBC Proms to help record ticket sales 13 May 2013
Doctor Who finale leaked in US 13 May 2013
Authors also condemned the way primitive cultures were portrayed as 'savages.’
Australian academic Lindy Orthia, who compiled the anthology, concluded: 'The biggest elephant in the room is the problem privately nursed by many fans of loving a TV show when it is thunderingly racist.’
But fans dismiss such criticisms as 'groundless’ and 'ridiculous’.
Sebastian Clark, editor of Doctor Who Online, said the show 'embraced rather than divided’. He told the Mail on Sunday: 'I think the suggestion the show is racist is ridiculous.”
The BBC said: 'Doctor Who has a strong track record of diverse casting among both regular and guest cast. Freema Agyeman became the first black companion and Noel Clarke starred in a major role for five years [Mickey Smith].
“Reflecting the diversity of the UK is a duty of the BBC, and casting on Doctor Who is colour-blind. It is always about the best actors for the roles.”

Ohh this should be fun.

Edit:I don't know what's more moronic the essays about the show or the bloody comments under the article

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter

Last edited by the_ultimate_evil; 05-27-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #110
regwec
Shakespearo

You only need to watch a couple of episodes of Who to realise that it isn't racist. If anything, the crude leftish politics of the RTD era were annoying.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #111
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

New Who needs more sword fights!

Doctor Who was one of the first British shows to even feature a black actor. Earl Cameron played astronaut Glyn Williams in the Tenth Planet episodes back in the 1966.

Casting white actors in ethnic roles was the norm in a lot of film and television even up into the 1960s. Star Trek had a multicultural cast but they still put brown make up on Spanish actor Ricardo Montalbán to have him play Indian character Khan.

Doctor Who features more diverse casts than the average show on British TV.

Not casting a black or Asian doctor doesn't make the show runners racist.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #112
regwec
Shakespearo

The idea that the existence of a long-established character who happens to have white skin is racist is moronic, and racist in its own right.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #113
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Of course Classic Who was a pretty racist show. It didn't really start to feel all that progressive until the 1980's-- Especially the McCoy era, where Ace was vocally anti-racist, there seemed to be a new non-white supporting character every story (Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was in Remembrance of the Daleks, believe it or not), and the New Brigadier was a black woman.

The majority of the show was a product of the 1960's and 70's, and it wasn't that uncommon in TV or film for white people to be cast as Asians or for ancient non-white cultures to be portrayed as caricatures. That's absolutely terrible by today's standards, but it was acceptable at the time. It's just one of those things you have to grit your teeth and think about in the context of the era it was made, like a Mark Twain novel.

The Talons of Weng-Chiang, The Aztecs, and The Daleks' Master Plan are three of my favorite Classic Who stories, but they have some pretty offensive elements. However, they're really good serials otherwise, and if those stories were made today, I know they wouldn't be so racist.

And if every Doctor being white makes the show racist, then the same is true about a vast majority of shows on TV. Putting a white guy in the lead role doesn't inherently make the show racist.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #114
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Hm. I think John Simm is a fine actor- he was great in The Devil's Whore- but his Master really missed the mark for me. Derek Jacobi's was more fun.
I think that was more to do with RTDs writing of The Master rather then John Simms acting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
That would be pretty cool. I would enjoy a siege scenario featuring the Sea Devils and St Michael's Mount (google if you haven't been there- stunning place).
I've been there. It's a really beautiful place.

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
Old 05-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #115
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Clyde and Rani were cool in SJA

Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #116
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Englishman View Post
I think that was more to do with RTDs writing of The Master rather then John Simms acting...
I didn't have a problem with either, but if The Master is to return, it shouldn't be Simm. It was Simm's Master who was haunted by Rassilon and the drumbeats, which was resolved by a dying Master. Also Simm's Master was created to be an insane version of Tennant's Doctor, he wore a nice suit, with a flowing coat, had his moments when he knew he was being brilliant and not to mention his laser screwdriver.

So yeah, but I'd like to see what a new Master would be like against The Doctor now.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #117
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Any new Master would need to be careful, I really don't see the Eleventh Doctor pleading for the Master to change his ways and being squeamish at the thought of killing him.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #118
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

That would be cool to see, a Doctor and Master who are genuinely trying to kill each other, as opposed to Tennant and Simm who were trying to save and hurt each other, respectively.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #119
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Yeah, Eleven doesn't seem to have Ten's ad hoc merciful streak. Ten tried to redeem an unrepentant Dalek Caan and scolded his clone for killing a Dalek army. Eleven sees a Dalek and starts swinging heavy objects while shouting "IT'S THE BOOGIE MAN, B****!"

Old 05-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #120
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

possibly the best description of Eleven I have ever seen

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #121
DeadThePoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I dunno, I like how he has evolved. It's easy to forget that this Doctor has been running around for over 200 years or so now, so some development in nature and character works well for me.

Thinking about it 10 only had a few years (that we know of) 9 even less, so I've no idea which Doctor (in canon) has lived the longest?
As the Fourth Doctor mentions his age (around 750) in "The Pyramids of Mars" and you have established that the First Doctor is about 450 years old, and the 10th Doctor is around 909 or something like that, it doesn't take much to see how Doctors 5-9 chewed up the years putting the First Doctor as the oldest so far.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #122
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

The way I see the ages:

First Doctor>Fourth Doctor> Eleventh Doctor - all of them likely have a couple of hundred years on them going by age counts at various points. Four and Eleven are probably super close if not nearly dead even.

The rest of the Doctor's I see only living a few years given that they almost always had human companions with them. I think there are gaps for 6 and 8 to have wracked up some time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Yeah, Eleven doesn't seem to have Ten's ad hoc merciful streak. Ten tried to redeem an unrepentant Dalek Caan and scolded his clone for killing a Dalek army. Eleven sees a Dalek and starts swinging heavy objects while shouting "IT'S THE BOOGIE MAN, B****!"
I don't necessarily need my Doctor to be blasting planets apart or what have you but the pacifism of the RTD era Doctors really has not sat well with me over the years. Every so often I'll read a post or a article about how the Eleventh Doctor is too violent and I just try and imagine how they would react to Seven, going around blowing up his enemies' home planets/fleets left and right. The Doctor is inherently violent, not directly so but he's left a lot of corpses in his wake. Regenerations like 10 or 5 (and even he started getting trigger happy later in his run) are really the exceptions to the rule.

The Doctor

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 05-27-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #123
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I found it kind of annoying how preachy and self righteous the tenth doctor got sometimes.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #124
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

It was compensated by the acts of violence he committed (such as destroying all of the Cybermen at the Loomic Facility.)

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #125
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Just from memory, its not until season 3 that the Tenth Doctor starts to turn all silly with his moral high ground. He seems fine with dealing with threats through violence in S2.

The Doctor
Closed Thread