The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #226
Lamborghini07
Newbie First Class

Default Re: What Nolan does poorest. Villain Endings

It would have been awesome if batman beat bane and ripped off his mask and carried it in his hand (like what bane did to him) and dropped it while saying "you have my permission to die". While gcpd broke in and subdued a bane who was in agony and helpless.

Lamborghini07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #227
The Batman
The Dark Knight

All I know is, it'd be lame if in Batman Returns, instead of Catwoman getting to kill Max Shreck, Batman does it.

In the other two movies, it is Batman who deals out the final fate of the main villaibn. Leaving Ras on the train. Leaving Joker hanging for the police. Since Nolan sets up a specific relationship between hero and villain, any conclusion for the villain should have Batman playing an, if not the integral role.

TDKR did not do that, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #228
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post

We're in Gotham, now we're in an unknown pit in the ground. Oh, here's a bomb. Blake just killed a guy, oh snap they're gonna kill Gordon! No they're not, Gordon just took them out. Final Batman and Bane fight? Let's cut away to two other happenings across the city like Episode I the Phantom Menace while this chant is booming.

I really hate the way that second Bane fight is cut.We've got to keep goin' back to freakin' John Blake when I want to see an epic throwdown.

It wouldn't have hurt the film if they took their time in some places. It shouldn't be a presentation of sprinting to the end. Certain areas of the movie should set the mood. How about one of the first scenes we ever saw in a trailer? Where Bruce (or ski-masked "Batman") visits Gordon in the hospital for the first time in 8 years? That should be a thoughtful, touching scene that takes it's time. Show Gordon's response to seeing his old friend since "that night" after this stranger comes through the window. Show the shock. Don't just cut quickly and skip things where you have Bruce going down the window, then right at Gordon's side with less than a minute left. That's a BIG moment isn't it? Hell, they spend more time with Bane and Bruce in the pit with Bane's speech then they do with that scene.

No time to savor it, take it all in. Most of the movie is like that. BAM, BAM, BAM, throwing mud on the wall and hoping it sticks. I don't think anyone expects Tarantino like dialogue or scenes where it's all about slow build up and character interaction but a little more "being in the moment" would be nice instead of racing off to stop plot device A or B every 20 seconds.
Yeah.It reminds me of BB where Bruce flings the gun into the river and a half second later Bruce is at the club.No time to savor what was (at least in this series) the most profound decition in Bruce's life.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #229
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

I wanted it to end with Bane's mask damaged and with him (non-verbally) begging for mercy,after Batman beat him down.

Sort of how Vader was after Luke beat him down in Jedi.

"No Mas!"

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #230
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
All I know is, it'd be lame if in Batman Returns, instead of Catwoman getting to kill Max Shreck, Batman does it.

In the other two movies, it is Batman who deals out the final fate of the main villaibn. Leaving Ras on the train. Leaving Joker hanging for the police. Since Nolan sets up a specific relationship between hero and villain, any conclusion for the villain should have Batman playing an, if not the integral role.

Don't forget he also tackled Two Face to his death, then took the fall himself for Dent's crimes.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #231
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I wanted it to end with Bane's mask damaged and with him (non-verbally) begging for mercy,after Batman beat him down.

Sort of how Vader was after Luke beat him down in Jedi.

"No Mas!"
This did pretty much happen though, when Batman was hammering away on him shouting "WherezDATRIGGARRR?".

That's why I was satisfied with where it ended. Bane's two-part demise served to finish off his arc with Batman and then worked as a good way to put some punctuation on Batman/Catwoman's storyline and offer Selina redemption without softening her up too much.

It was perfect.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #232
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

It's a perfect parallel when Talia ended up saving Bane, so Catwoman saving Batman works for me.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #233
Shpati
Side-Kick

I defiantly have agreement with the OP. Although I do not think all of them are terrible or bad.

The only really good ending was the Joker's ending. His was actually really good. As viewers and fans, we know the Joker and Batman were made for each other. And "they are destined to do this forever". And think that ending accomplished that meaning.

Nolan's "Two-Face" was never actually Two-Face. It was always just Harvey Dent. "Two-Face" was never really a villain. He was just a "Fallen Hero".

Ra's could have been better. But it was not bad.

Scarecrow was terrible. I thought when Batman said Crane is just a pawn, I thought he was just saying that. But he really meant that, :lol:.

Talia was an absolute joke. Why Nolan did not yell "CUT!" in the middle of Talia's death is beyond me. Horrible ending for her. I would have much preferred the cliché catfight to kill her off.

Bane was awful too. Probably the worst of all. He held so much meaning to Batman just to be killed from behind.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #234
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati View Post
I defiantly have agreement with the OP. Although I do not think all of them are terrible or bad.

The only really good ending was the Joker's ending. His was actually really good. As viewers and fans, we know the Joker and Batman were made for each other. And "they are destined to do this forever". And think that ending accomplished that meaning.

Nolan's "Two-Face" was never actually Two-Face. It was always just Harvey Dent. "Two-Face" was never really a villain. He was just a "Fallen Hero".

Ra's could have been better. But it was not bad.

Scarecrow was terrible. I thought when Batman said Crane is just a pawn, I thought he was just saying that. But he really meant that, :lol:.

Talia was an absolute joke. Why Nolan did not yell "CUT!" in the middle of Talia's death is beyond me. Horrible ending for her. I would have much preferred the cliché catfight to kill her off.

Bane was awful too. Probably the worst of all. He held so much meaning to Batman just to be killed from behind.
Scarecrow. The king of fear. Three movies later and he was only an excuse for comedy.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 AM   #235
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
This did pretty much happen though, when Batman was hammering away on him shouting "WherezDATRIGGARRR?".
Yeah,that's true.

I wish it would've ended then,though.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #236
BaneManBatBane

But Scarecrow didn't die though :P

BaneManBatBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #237
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Um, I actually kinda think Bane's death was totally awesome.
The abrupt, anticlimactic way it happens, and makes you process for a few seconds what just happened, has that uncanny, nightmarish vibe to it - just as his general screen presence in the rest of the movie.

In a way it seems fitting for his exit to be as strange and creepy as his sudden appearences throughout the movie - like the way he just stands there when Dagget "speaks of the devil", or suddenly appears on the rooftop; or materializes onto the sewer footbridge while the camera isn't looking.
And now he speaks that final line of his, with a strange intonation that suggests a comma at the end of the sentence as if it's supposed to go on somehow, and then all of a sudden, in the blink of an eye, he's... gone.

It's just so ****ing cool.
The fact that Catwoman shoots him or whatever, is of secondary importance - and come on, did anyone really expect whatever "themes" or "ideologies" Bane stood for to be resolved and explored in any meaningful arc/manner at the end? The movie's too much of a mess in general for anything like that to have happened

I don't really mind the Scarecrow, either - the "pathetic" exit in BB never felt like an "ending" to his character in the first place, and obviously didn't end up being one either.
But then whatever original cool plans they had for him in TDKR apparently got scrapped and replaced with Murphy effectively playing a completely different character in two amusing cameo scenes.
"Aborted arc" much more than "disappointing ending" if you ask me.

Last edited by justpassinby; 06-10-2013 at 02:21 AM.
justpassinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #238
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If Bane was meant to be this "monster" throughout the film, being killed by a missile is perfect for a monster's death. And him being saved by Selina parallels Bane being saved by Talia like two minutes earlier.

The only thing I didn't care for is Selina's one-liner to top it off. That's the only thing I can say that hurt's the death. While others say it helps Selina's arc, there shouldn't be something that helps one's arc but hurt's another.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #239
justpassinby
Side-Kick

I prefer the "parallel" of Bane getting offed by a weapon after deciding to resort to one himself (with a major character I mean).
For some reason Bane's strutting around on the street during the revolution, and none of the cops think of maybe attacking him with knives or some other weapons they could've picked up somewhere - maybe even guns from defeated enemy soldiers? He successfully relies on only being attacked with bare fists, and then beats everyone on that level.
And the sewer fight lacked any use of weapons, of course (inexplicably from Batman as well). So then he's finally had enough and just wants to shoot the guy already, and bam - someone finally thinks of shooting a few rounds at him.

Maybe it doesn't make that much sense, but I dunno, just has a nice ring to it - all this time you're like "okay he's really tough, but come on, he's right there in the open, just someone plrsdr SHOOT the guy! ohh wait, they're doing like a movie thing with who's the tougher boxer, okay...", and then... whatdidyouknow, he's killed with a gun.

Last edited by justpassinby; 06-10-2013 at 07:50 PM.
justpassinby is offline   Reply With Quote