The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man
Batman Begins 123 86.01%
The Amazing Spider-Man 20 13.99%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #51
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?



51-8

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #52
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 4,705
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectacular View Post
Fixed
I counted X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #53
TheSpectacular
Christian and proud
 
TheSpectacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bolbisaur
Posts: 1,559
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I counted X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
I'm aware.

__________________
Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10
The Amazing Spider-Man 2- I don't know anymore/10
X-Men: Days of Future Past- 8.5/10
Guardians of the Galaxy- 4/10
TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #54
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes
 
Spuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,707
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

While I'm no TASM hater and I'm fully on board with Webb's direction and the great cast and can't wait for TASM2 but comparing it to Begins is silly.

ASM was a reboot that followed the plot of the original Spider-Man film relatively closely, only straying into new territory in a few (admittedly interesting) ways.

Begins was a COMPLETELY fresh, mature, deep re-imagining that I myself didn't see coming given the history of the Batman franchise and its roots in campiness.

One was way more important and influential and is the reason the other is the way it is in many ways. And that one is Begins, one of the best hero origin films ever.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #55
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Just the fact that they are reboots is probably why this poll was even made though, so the comparison isn't too silly.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised someone asks which film is better between Batman Begins or Man of Steel when MOS is released.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #56
weezerspider
Side-Kick
 
weezerspider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,869
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Begins wins easily. No contest.

However, I really don't see whats so bad about TAS. Its not spectacular, but I don't thinks it really falls into bad territory anywhere. TAS played it safe because the Spiderman franchise was in a bit of a pickle. We got a mediocre, entertaining film. If they took more chances it could have been really good, but also could have been really really bad. They took it safe on the reboot and I think it was a good idea. Get the foundations for the new series set and THEN start taking some chances. They have a good director and a strong cast. Potential for the sequels are very high.

__________________
"If you figure a way to live without serving a master, any master, then let the rest of us know, will you? For you'd be the first person in the history of the world."
-LANCASTER DODD
weezerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #57
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,291
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

I was really enjoying ASM up until the Lizard is introduced and then I just don't think the movie is as interesting. The point in Begins where I start to lose interest is when Bruce returns to Gotham.

ASM had it really hard because they had to bring the character back to his roots but every step feels like a retread. I wanted the origin to linger but I'm sure members of the audience wanted the origin to move along because they have already seen it. You put it in those terms and ASM was going to upset 'someone'.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #58
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

^ Agreed with TAS-M. The first hour of TAS-M is quite enjoyable than it just falls apart.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #59
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

As a movie, I prefer TASM. BB had too many problems for me, the wasting of a villain, the poor dialogue, the choppy action scenes editing. But then again, what Nolan was cooking was far more interesting. Problem for me is that the execution of his first bat-movie didn't deliver very well. Still a good movie.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #60
Doc Ock
1951-2014
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 7,495
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

I didn't think I would...but I voted for TASM...and I consider Begins my favorite of that trilogy...

__________________
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #61
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

I love both films but BB is one of my favorites, BB hands down.

__________________
MY VIDEO REVIEW SHOW: EPIC FILM GUYS
www.youtube.com/epicfilmguysny www.facebook.com/epicfilmguys
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #62
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I didn't think I would...but I voted for TASM...and I consider Begins my favorite of that trilogy...
May I say your choice sounds interesting, for the reasons you mention yourself. Do you care to expand a little. What's superior in TASM. If you don't mind I mean.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #63
Doc Ock
1951-2014
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 7,495
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
May I say your choice sounds interesting, for the reasons you mention yourself. Do you care to expand a little. What's superior in TASM. If you don't mind I mean.
I think its the enjoyment factor that has caused me to enjoy TASM more and more. Andrew Garfield presents a unique Peter on-screen and Emma Stone as Gwen is superb, although the villain is kinda weak I think each of the main actors in the film do a phenomenal job, that gets me really attached to their roles and attached to the film becuase of it, even with it's weaknesses in the plot. A part of me wishes we got to see Rhys Ifans Curt Conners expanded on. Some of the deleted scenes should of been kept in IMO.

With Batman Begins the only actor that is really superb to me is Gary Oldman, I'm probably biased because he is one of my favorite actors.

EDIT: Oh and Liam Nesson, duh!

__________________
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10

Last edited by Doc Ock; 05-27-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #64
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I think its the enjoyment factor that has caused me to enjoy TASM more and more. Andrew Garfield presents a unique Peter on-screen and Emma Stone as Gwen is superb, although the villain is kinda weak I think each of the main actors in the film do a phenomenal job, that gets me really attached to their roles and attached to the film becuase of it, even with it's weaknesses in the plot. A part of me wishes we got to see Rhys Ifans Curt Conners expanded on. Some of the deleted scenes should of been kept in IMO.

With Batman Begins the only actor that is really superb to me is Gary Oldman, I'm probably biased because he is one of my favorite actors.
I agree 100% with your take on TASM.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #65
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,081
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Batman Begins, hands down.

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #66
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

The Amazing Spider-Man for me.

Both movies had their problems, but BB's ones are too big.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #67
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,039
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
^ Agreed with TAS-M. The first hour of TAS-M is quite enjoyable than it just falls apart.
It is a shame. Lizard was my favorite Spidey villain growing up. Now everyone will always thinks he sucks because of Marc Webb's ineptitude. It still kind of annoys me.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #68
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

I've watched both of these within the last week and it's not close. BB by a mile. I actually like TASM, but BB is still the best live action superhero movie I've seen.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #69
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
It is a shame. Lizard was my favorite Spidey villain growing up. Now everyone will always thinks he sucks because of Marc Webb's ineptitude. It still kind of annoys me.
I don't doubt that until someone uses Lizard again, much like the idea that Bane is this joke because of B&R until Nolan used him again in TDKR. And sure, people may have had a problem with the ending of Bane's arc in TDKR, but what Bane did throughout the film beforehand, made him 1,000x better than what was shown in B&R.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #70
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

I do have to give credit to The Amazing Spider-Man over Batman Begins in one area, which is the portrayal of the character. Even though Batman Begins is far better film than The Amazing Spider-Man, TASM is a better portrayal of the character of Spider-Man than Batman Begins is a portrayal of the character of Batman.

Now don't get wrong. I am not saying that BB is an inaccurate portrayal. In fact, I think both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are both great adaptations that really do justice to Batman, more than any other live-action portrayal of Batman so far. However, there is more to an adaptation than just the protagonist alone. The main reasons why I consider BB and TDK to be great Batman movies are because of the messages and statements made about Batman, the themes addressed, the depiction of the villains, the depiction of the supporting cast, Batman's relationship with his villains and with his supporting cast, the portrayal of Gotham, the story influences from the comics, etc. When it comes to the Batman character himself, he is arguably the weakest thing about the films out of all the things they adapted. He is not the world's greatest detective nor is he anywhere on par with some of comic book Batman's other skills, including Batman's overall intelligence. Bale's performance was also not an ideal performance of Batman. He did a great job but he is not to Batman what RDJ is to Iron Man or what Christopher Reeves is to Superman or what Andrew Garfield is to Spider-Man. These are all examples of perfect castings that nailed it all the way done to the core while Bale almost made it there but never fully crossed the finish line (something true about all the actors that played Batman in live-action so far). One of the aspects that Bale could've captured better was Batman's intimidating presence and the intelligent calculative vibe you're supposed to get by hearing Batman's voice. Batman's fighting skills could have also been better. People often say that Nolan's Batman is a very watered down Batman and to an extent, that is true. Does this mean Nolan's version of Batman was bad? No. He still had many important aspects of the Batman character incorporated into him. However, that was always the thing that separated the Nolan films from Batman TAS: the Nolan films (at least the first two) were very well done adaptation of Batman while Batman TAS was a perfect-or-at-least-as-close-to-perfect-as-possible adaptation of Batman.

On the other hand, The Amazing Spider-Man was by no means the ideal Spider-Man movie for me but it gave me a spot-on portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man and his supporting cast even though it does have a few script issues and pacing issues. It set the potential for future films really high.

To sum it all up....
Chris Nolan gave me the Batman movies I always wanted but did not give me the Batman that I always wanted.
Marc Webb gave me the Spider-Man I always wanted but has yet to give me the Spider-Man movie that I always wanted.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #71
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Garfield is nowhere near Reeve or RDJ. Terrible comparison.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #72
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

I disagree. I think Garfield is the perfect Peter Parker and Spider-Man. I can't picture anyone else better in the role.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #73
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Yah, I'm on the boat to say Garfield is nowhere in the league of Reeve, RDJ or Bale(imo). Christian Bale, while not a 100% correct portrayal of Batman, is a GREAT Bruce Wayne.

I think when it comes to be the perfect hero and alter ego, Christopher Reeve is the only one with Superman and Clark Kent.

Bale - Bruce Wayne
RDJ - Tony Stark(although, you can't really be a "perfect" Iron Man when it's mostly CGI, lol)
Garfield - needs help with both

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #74
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I disagree. I think Garfield is the perfect Peter Parker and Spider-Man. I can't picture anyone else better in the role.
I felt the 90's animated show did a better job with the character, so I can easily imagine someone doing better in live action if they did something more along the lines of the 90's animated show. Same thing with Batman and what Conroy did for the animated version.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #75
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,039
Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I do have to give credit to The Amazing Spider-Man over Batman Begins in one area, which is the portrayal of the character. Even though Batman Begins is far better film than The Amazing Spider-Man, TASM is a better portrayal of the character of Spider-Man than Batman Begins is a portrayal of the character of Batman.

Now don't get wrong. I am not saying that BB is an inaccurate portrayal. In fact, I think both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are both great adaptations that really do justice to Batman, more than any other live-action portrayal of Batman so far. However, there is more to an adaptation than just the protagonist alone. The main reasons why I consider BB and TDK to be great Batman movies are because of the messages and statements made about Batman, the themes addressed, the depiction of the villains, the depiction of the supporting cast, Batman's relationship with his villains and with his supporting cast, the portrayal of Gotham, the story influences from the comics, etc. When it comes to the Batman character himself, he is arguably the weakest thing about the films out of all the things they adapted. He is not the world's greatest detective nor is he anywhere on par with some of comic book Batman's other skills, including Batman's overall intelligence. Bale's performance was also not an ideal performance of Batman. He did a great job but he is not to Batman what RDJ is to Iron Man or what Christopher Reeves is to Superman or what Andrew Garfield is to Spider-Man. These are all examples of perfect castings that nailed it all the way done to the core while Bale almost made it there but never fully crossed the finish line (something true about all the actors that played Batman in live-action so far). One of the aspects that Bale could've captured better was Batman's intimidating presence and the intelligent calculative vibe you're supposed to get by hearing Batman's voice. Batman's fighting skills could have also been better. People often say that Nolan's Batman is a very watered down Batman and to an extent, that is true. Does this mean Nolan's version of Batman was bad? No. He still had many important aspects of the Batman character incorporated into him. However, that was always the thing that separated the Nolan films from Batman TAS: the Nolan films (at least the first two) were very well done adaptation of Batman while Batman TAS was a perfect-or-at-least-as-close-to-perfect-as-possible adaptation of Batman.

On the other hand, The Amazing Spider-Man was by no means the ideal Spider-Man movie for me but it gave me a spot-on portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man and his supporting cast even though it does have a few script issues and pacing issues. It set the potential for future films really high.

To sum it all up....
Chris Nolan gave me the Batman movies I always wanted but did not give me the Batman that I always wanted.
Marc Webb gave me the Spider-Man I always wanted but has yet to give me the Spider-Man movie that I always wanted.
I strongly disagree with the entirety of this.

I will concede that Nolan did not craft a "Bat-God" by any stretch of the imagination. But he stayed true, especially in the first two, to the idea of Batman. He is a brilliant mind who is driven by anger, vengeance and a sense of injustice (with a dash of crazy) to fight crime. And he does so in a very calculated way. Especially in the first one. The way he lays out his plan is very brilliant and Count of Monte Cristo esque, where he is spying on all his enemies and allies for potentially months before he reveals himself as either Bruce Wayne or Batman.

Is he the perfect man in every conceivable field of study and physical performance under the sun? No. Because beyond being a bit simple that does not gel with the cinematic universe that Nolan is establishing. But within the confines of this adapted universe it is all there. Just as the Joker is there, even if it is make-up instead of permawhite skin.

I will go so far to say that Bale in all three Batman movies (yes even TDKR) is closer to the Batman's spirit than Garfield ever was to Spider-Man.

I say this is as a lifelong Spidey fan. Garfield may be great casting. He COULD play a great Spider-Man. But at least in TASM, it wasn't there. His Peter Parker never learned "with great power" (and I mean more than the turn of phrase, though cutting that was dumb too), he never learned to not be selfish and he was far too much of a jerk to everyone around him. Yes, he made some puns in the costume, but Garfield's take is just as off as Maguire's, but for different reasons.

To even put Garfield's take on the character, which verges on homicidal in some scenes and pseudo-intellectual hipster in others, on the same level as Christopher Reeve's Superman or Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is inconceivable to me.

I did not list Downey, because he made the character wholly his own. His Stark is more RDJ than pre-2008 IM from the comics.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.