1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #26
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
If I ever get to see this movie again, I'll pay attention to that. I thought by the end Stark was controlling them all while they're flying around.
Stark tells Rhodes that they are only coded to him when Rhodey asks for an armor in the beginning of the final battle. That's why he runs around without any until he gets his hand on the Iron Patriot armor again. And it's Jarvis that's controlling the empty armors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
Well, Stark did a bit of training before doing well. Pepper passed from an executive to a martial arts expert. But more odd than that was that they decided to have Iron Man out of the movie for the most part and when they decided to bring him back for the climax, it's the love interest who did the job.
Stark just tried to levitate a bit inside his garage, which isn't really much relevant experience when it comes to flying at great speeds with great accuracy which he does with the first real test. And Stane had never been in the Iron Monger suit before the final battle because it didn't have a power source until then. Pepper doesn't stray from that line since she's a super being at that point of the movie.

You don't have to like it but it's not a plot hole.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Maybe it's been discussed already, but there's a problem....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
.... with Killian's visit to Stark Industries. When he's showing Pepper the holograph of his brain networks, it shows the empty space that he claims to know how to harnass. Problem is he already has extremis in him.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Maybe it's been discussed already, but there's a problem....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
.... with Killian's visit to Stark Industries. When he's showing Pepper the holograph of his brain networks, it shows the empty space that he claims to know how to harnass. Problem is he already has extremis in him.

lol i assumed it activates when he flames on, so to speak.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #29
metaphysician
Side-Kick

No reason to believe he couldn't edit the image.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
No reason to believe he couldn't edit the image.
Yeah, lot of possible excuses for that one. Maybe he can unplug it/turn it off, and needed to do so for the presentation; especially if he didn't want to risk blowing himself and Pepper up or something, you know.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #31
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I finally watched Iron Man 3 last night, and I enjoyed it. 9/10.

Things I particularly liked:
Killian was an impressive villain. The only stand-out villain in the MCU besides Loki.
RDJ and Ty Simpkins (Harley) worked well off each other.

Thing I didn't particularly like:
No AC/DC

Old 05-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #32
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

Its my first post to review IRON MAN 3 as i already watched it first time on 26 April when it premiere here... (total, i already watched it 3 times)

To be honest, at the first, I kinda dissapointed also in Mandarin....
although I'm not a big fan of Iron Man, both in comic and movie, but still, i went into theatre with the mindset that Mandarin that I saw in trailer, the one who said "Today is the first day of what's left of your life" is the villain....and to add, before i watch the movie, I've read Matt Fraction's Iron Man comic which includes Mandarin, So.. i'm so thrilled what kind of story and battle would be between Iron Man and Mandarin...

And the fact that the Mandarin in the story is a made up character that made by Aldrich Killain...really, I'm surprised there, and from the moment the Mandarin revealed to be a Trevor, it effected to the rest of the movie...The rest of the movie while the climax was awesome, but still, the thought of that shocking reveal still hangs in my mind.

Again, that just the first time experience...

By the time i decide to watch it again the 2nd time, I try to get rid of the mind set that Mandarin is on the movie, so, I go watch the second time with the mindset that Mandarin is not in the movie, and Ben Kingsley just played Trevor...and it turned out to be much better judgment when i set "no Mandarin in the movie"'s mindset.

And by the 3rd time i watched (this 3rdtime , in a dubbed version of Japanese language ) , it even better and the whole story finally made sense to me...

That said...If I may, for those who dislikes or hate Iron Man 3 because of Trevor's Mandarin (or who refuse to accept that Killian is The Mandarin like me ...despite of what other fans seems to accept that Killian is Mandarin), the key to enjoy Iron Man 3 is just get rid the mindset that Mandarin is in the movie, just think that It was just Trevor, and it was just Killian with extremis abillity...and believe me...It turnout well to have better judgement towards the movie (to me, at least).

Phase 2 starts with a GOOD WAY.
Next, I can't wait for Thor: The Dark World...

Marvel_SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #33
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
You mean like they've done for *all* the Iron Man movies? Pepper is the one who killed Obadiah Stane; she's the one who had Justin Hammer arrested; it's only natural she should take out Aldrich Killian, too. Hell, I'm surprised she's not the one who face-planted Loki into the floor in The Avengers.
In Iron Man she pushed a button. In IM 2 she had Justin Hammer arrested. In IM3 she friggin fought a super villain with super powers. That is crossing the line way too much

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #34
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
In Iron Man she pushed a button. In IM 2 she had Justin Hammer arrested. In IM3 she friggin fought a super villain with super powers. That is crossing the line way too much
I won't argue with you there.
I'm not a Pepper fan in any way, shape or form, either in the comics or in the movies, and I was vocally against the rumors about her suiting up in RESCUE armor in this movie. She didn't technically don any RESCUE armor after all, but they took it one step further in the wrong direction by giving her full-blown superpowers, if only temporarily.
I definitely don't like the fact that Pepper is the one who's pretty much cleaning up Tony's messes for him --- it steals Iron Man's thunder by not allowing him to deliver the coup de grace on his enemies. But I'm just saying Pepper defeating Killian isn't unprecedented in the movies --- she did his dirty work in IM1 and IM2, no reason to think she'd stop there.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I wouldn't say that getting Hammer arrested in IM2 was her doing the dirty work though. Vanko and the drones was the real threat and Tony took care of that together with Rhodes.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I wouldn't say that getting Hammer arrested in IM2 was her doing the dirty work though. Vanko and the drones was the real threat and Tony took care of that together with Rhodes.
With some help from Black Widow and, to a lesser degee, Happy.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #37
Conundrum
Side-Kick

Watching the movie for a second time, it almost seems as if the return of Pepper (and Killan) was tacked on afterwards. The final montage doesn't include Pepper at all, except for a short clip of Tony putting a necklace on her.

The scene where the Iron Man helmet rolls towards Tony and he sees that it's empty and breathes a sigh of relief feels like the end of the battle. I wonder if the initial plan was to kill Pepper off, but the Powers That Be intervened?

Unlikely, maybe, but it was just something that struck me during my second viewing.

Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #38
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

What line would that be?

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #39
Spideysays
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_SKE View Post
Its my first post to review IRON MAN 3 as i already watched it first time on 26 April when it premiere here... (total, i already watched it 3 times)

To be honest, at the first, I kinda dissapointed also in Mandarin....
although I'm not a big fan of Iron Man, both in comic and movie, but still, i went into theatre with the mindset that Mandarin that I saw in trailer, the one who said "Today is the first day of what's left of your life" is the villain....and to add, before i watch the movie, I've read Matt Fraction's Iron Man comic which includes Mandarin, So.. i'm so thrilled what kind of story and battle would be between Iron Man and Mandarin...

And the fact that the Mandarin in the story is a made up character that made by Aldrich Killain...really, I'm surprised there, and from the moment the Mandarin revealed to be a Trevor, it effected to the rest of the movie...The rest of the movie while the climax was awesome, but still, the thought of that shocking reveal still hangs in my mind.

Again, that just the first time experience...

By the time i decide to watch it again the 2nd time, I try to get rid of the mind set that Mandarin is on the movie, so, I go watch the second time with the mindset that Mandarin is not in the movie, and Ben Kingsley just played Trevor...and it turned out to be much better judgment when i set "no Mandarin in the movie"'s mindset.

And by the 3rd time i watched (this 3rdtime , in a dubbed version of Japanese language ) , it even better and the whole story finally made sense to me...

That said...If I may, for those who dislikes or hate Iron Man 3 because of Trevor's Mandarin (or who refuse to accept that Killian is The Mandarin like me ...despite of what other fans seems to accept that Killian is Mandarin), the key to enjoy Iron Man 3 is just get rid the mindset that Mandarin is in the movie, just think that It was just Trevor, and it was just Killian with extremis abillity...and believe me...It turnout well to have better judgement towards the movie (to me, at least).

Phase 2 starts with a GOOD WAY.
Next, I can't wait for Thor: The Dark World...

You're a good person Marvel_SKE. Lol at how hard you went to accept this movie. And it's good advice for those who want to force themselves to like it. I'd assume you're advice will be especially cogent to those who will add it to their Blu ray collection. Otherwise it was midnight and done forever with it, as was my case. Just passed by to see if the arguments had subsided but I see people are still busy trying to force others to accept non-sensical representations of characters who were never in the movie to begin with. Wise of you Marvel_SKE to realize that Mandarin is not in, will never be in,and in effect has never been in any cinematic motion picture. Hate how movie studios take "daring" leaps and make up things that make no sense. After all, if something is good and makes sense it doesn't need to be explained or justified correct? I thought so.

Spideysays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #40
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
...Why?

Old 06-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #41
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Watching the movie for a second time, it almost seems as if the return of Pepper (and Killan) was tacked on afterwards. The final montage doesn't include Pepper at all, except for a short clip of Tony putting a necklace on her.

The scene where the Iron Man helmet rolls towards Tony and he sees that it's empty and breathes a sigh of relief feels like the end of the battle. I wonder if the initial plan was to kill Pepper off, but the Powers That Be intervened?

Unlikely, maybe, but it was just something that struck me during my second viewing.
Pepper was also in the final montage with Tony in China when he had the shrapnel removed from his heart and the arc reactor taken out.

I think that the intent all along was to have Tony fail to save Pepper, who then saved Tony in the end. Black & Pearce set up the typical superhero/action movie scenario of the kidnapped damsel in distress waiting for the hero to rescue her, then subverted that three times in the course of the film. The first time was when Tony sent the Mark 42 to Pepper, then she saved his life in the mansion attack. The second happened when Tony tried to save Pepper from falling and couldn't reach her. (Ironically, it was his attempt to save her and the president that inadvertently caused the structure she was being held in to collapse and nearly crush her to death in the first place.)

The third and most dramatic inversion of the damsel in distress trope came when Pepper used the Extremis powers that Killian had forced on her to defeat him and save Tony, who in that instant became a sort of damsel himself. While it was a very welcome and surprising development for most of the audience (Pepper's rampage got cheers every time I saw it), it was disconcerting for some, particularly males. Pepper stepped out of the role that most people wanted/expected to see her in, that of the powerless girlfriend dependent upon the hero to save her from his enemies. Even Killian admitted he viewed her that way; she was both an inducement to get Tony to work on Extremis and a trophy he could claim as payment for past rejections. The writers rather brilliantly avoided the cliche by turning the scenario on its head and having the girlfriend save the hero -- and herself. It was just the last of several instances in Iron Man 3 where overused tropes were upended, with great results.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #42
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideysays View Post
You're a good person Marvel_SKE. Lol at how hard you went to accept this movie. And it's good advice for those who want to force themselves to like it. I'd assume you're advice will be especially cogent to those who will add it to their Blu ray collection. Otherwise it was midnight and done forever with it, as was my case. Just passed by to see if the arguments had subsided but I see people are still busy trying to force others to accept non-sensical representations of characters who were never in the movie to begin with. Wise of you Marvel_SKE to realize that Mandarin is not in, will never be in,and in effect has never been in any cinematic motion picture. Hate how movie studios take "daring" leaps and make up things that make no sense. After all, if something is good and makes sense it doesn't need to be explained or justified correct? I thought so.
Nonsensical representations of characters that aren't in the movie? If they aren't in the movie then they aren't represented at all, and even in what you're trying to say there's definitely a coherent thought behind what they did.

And The Mandarin is de facto in IM3. It's not a version that's very close to the comics but that's an entirely different matter. Saying that he's not in the movie is the real nonsensical statement. Saying that you don't like the version they made because you feel that it went too far from the original is a more logical issue to have.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #43
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
...Why?
Because she needs to stay on the side and be a good love interest, play the damsel in distress role to the best of her ability and leave all the glory to the man of course.

T"Challa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #44
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Because she needs to stay on the side and be a good love interest, play the damsel in distress role to the best of her ability and leave all the glory to the man of course.
That's not *my* complaint about Pepper. I'm all for getting heroines and superheroines into the MCU --- god knows it's still pretty much a sausagefest right now, and I've been one of the most vocal ones here in getting some equal time for the heroines in the movies.

My complaint is that they elevated Pepper to something she wasn't even remotely in the comics. They turned her first into Tony Stark's Significant Other (when he's *never* had one, being the dictionary definition of a playboy), then into the boss of his company (when she's never been anything more than an assistant, at least until the movie made them start rewriting the comic-book franchise), and now into a superheroine.

I'm not gonna go overboard with "zomg I hate Pepperz!!!1!", and I know I'm in the minority, because Pepper has become a popular character among general audiences; but I'm just personally not a fan of this character in particular getting elevated to prominence, and dominating Tony Stark's life.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #45
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Best of the 3 IM flicks. Only a couple of minor things with which I took issue, but they were far outweighed by the positives.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #46
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
That's not *my* complaint about Pepper. I'm all for getting heroines and superheroines into the MCU --- god knows it's still pretty much a sausagefest right now, and I've been one of the most vocal ones here in getting some equal time for the heroines in the movies.

My complaint is that they elevated Pepper to something she wasn't even remotely in the comics. They turned her first into Tony Stark's Significant Other (when he's *never* had one, being the dictionary definition of a playboy), then into the boss of his company (when she's never been anything more than an assistant, at least until the movie made them start rewriting the comic-book franchise), and now into a superheroine.

I'm not gonna go overboard with "zomg I hate Pepperz!!!1!", and I know I'm in the minority, because Pepper has become a popular character among general audiences; but I'm just personally not a fan of this character in particular getting elevated to prominence, and dominating Tony Stark's life.
I actually like that it's made her character stronger in the comics. I'm not too sure if I like her as a love interest in the MCU.
*sigh*
I like Tony and Maria together. *cough* Who said that nonsense?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #47
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

May have been posted. A real nice, brief analysis of Iron Man 3 on Wired.com-- and in comic form, no less!
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...m-rugg-review/
(it's labeled as a review, but it's really not)

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #48
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Just wanted to pop in to say that I loved this movie and its getting way too much hate from some people.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #49
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanDCU View Post
This trilogy was pretty bad outside of the first film.
Pretty much sums up how I feel about the latest Batman franchise.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #50
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

My final conclusion on this film is that it's a good movie which was needlessly denied greatness almost entirely due to one single mind-bogglingly dumb creative decision. Definitely the weakest of the 3 for me. Still, it's the best superhero trilogy to date as far as I'm concerned since there aren't any bad entries. But boy did they come close to screwing it up with this movie.