The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #301
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Do people really think that Bryan Singer Is making film that wipes out his own films(X-men,X2)

He has talked about correcting some things.And It doesn't take a genus to
figure out what he Is talking about Is some of things that went down In
The Last Stand.

Plus It makes It hard to use any OT actors In future films If all the films with them are erased.And they dropped so many first Class cast members that
doing anymore films with them Is In doudt.
One of the key reasons for doing this storyline was to alter the events of TLS to sustain the viability of the franchise. You cannot undo the events of TLS in 1973 without undoing everything that led up to it, which is X1 and X2. If that's the case, Wolverine's fate will have to be altered such that he never runs into the X-Men in X1, almost getting everyone killed in X2, and finally everyone dying in X3. I think either 1973 Wolverine will get a mind swap, or future Wolverine will get sent back, and it will alter the course of the mutant/human war that culminated with the Sentinel creation.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #302
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
If reports of james Marsden on set were correct this hints at 2 possibiltys

1:The Time Travel wipes out some elements of Last Stand and thus at end
Cyclops Is alive
2:The DOFP future with sentinles Is pure alternate future.Cyclops Is part of It but they want to keep It a secret.Thus the time travel plot leads to The Trilogy
and The Wolverine
#2 seems like a stretch. While possible, isn't the idea to move forward? Again, maybe it works out that way, and 1973 Wolverine is destined to meet the X-Men in 2000 and the events unfold as the OT depicts. If that's the deal, the primary X-Men are still dead that I don't see how they contend with Apocalypse. And then I'd argue #1 can't be done unless Cyclops survived in TLS itself off screen.

However, I actually really like the #2 idea. But I want to see a trilogy in the alternate future of DoFP, not a one off film. Or maybe stand alone films in this alternate future, without getting bogged down by continuity. Ending the saga with TLS or The Wolverine... technically. At least we will have seen all these stories coming to pass in some alternate future.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-29-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #303
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
One of the key reasons for doing this storyline was to alter the events of TLS to sustain the viability of the franchise. You cannot undo the events of TLS in 1973 without undoing everything that led up to it, which is X1 and X2. If that's the case, Wolverine's fate will have to be altered such that he never runs into the X-Men in X1, almost getting everyone killed in X2, and finally everyone dying in X3. I think either 1973 Wolverine will get a mind swap, or future Wolverine will get sent back, and it will alter the course of the mutant/human war that culminated with the Sentinel creation.
if you think that... you've obviously haven't really been understanding or paying attention to what Singer has even stated.

there's plenty of ways to fix the events in X3 without having to erase time for it...

The Cure obviously doesn't stick, and Xavier isn't dead...

only things that remain are Jean and Scott.. and there's a billion different ways to bring Scott back.. and JEAN IS PHEONIX, that's what she does... she dies and comes back

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #304
wikox
Side-Kick

fenix is not like the comic.no is cosmic. Jean's split personality in the cinema. She is dead. she can not be resurrected. only possible if it is a temporary change paradox. .....or Madeline Pryor ......

wikox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #305
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
if you think that... you've obviously haven't really been understanding or paying attention to what Singer has even stated.

there's plenty of ways to fix the events in X3 without having to erase time for it...

only things that remain are Jean and Scott.. and there's a billion different ways to bring Scott back.. and JEAN IS PHEONIX, that's what she does... she dies and comes back
we don't even know If Jean Is part of plan If there a time travel causing retcon.

Besides Jean,Cyclops Is only one they really need an explanation to return.
The cure didn't work as end of last stand showed and Xavier Is alive.

Considering how the ending of X2 went down who knows what Singer has In mind for end of DOFP.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #306
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
we don't even know If Jean Is part of plan If there a time travel causing retcon.

Besides Jean,Cyclops Is only one they really need an explanation to return.
The cure didn't work as end of last stand showed and Xavier Is alive.

.... That is what i just said. All you did was repeat it... Lol

[=]
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #307
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
I can't wait until Comic Con. DoFP will be there and I'm willing to bet we'll get a teaser and promo shots!
DOFP better steal the spotlight in this year's Comic-Con. It looks Marvel and Sony will be showing teasers there too.

Bryan Singer/company better steal the convention!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #308
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed, even in X3 itself they left plenty of opportunities for things like the cure and Xavier's death to be reversed.

I think that whatever things are going to be fixed in DoFP will not be fixed by timetravel - they're likely to just follow through with all those hints left at the end of X3.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #309
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:

I have corrected my stance after giving it some thought. But I still don't see how DoFP is a continuation from TLS. So yes you are right, they can bring back those characters post TLS with some clever writing. I still think DoFP ends up being the first movie in the X-Men timeline in a parallel timeline meaning:

2000's: Alternate future with Sentinels
1962: FC
1973: DoFP (Alternate universe interjects here with advent of time travel)
2000's: OT trilogy from preceding events as well as time travel effects
The Wolverine: Conclude's Jackman's arc... or does it?

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-30-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #310
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Agreed, even in X3 itself they left plenty of opportunities for things like the cure and Xavier's death to be reversed.

I think that whatever things are going to be fixed in DoFP will not be fixed by timetravel - they're likely to just follow through with all those hints left at the end of X3.
I think that 'fixing' things implies a lot more than simply following through with hints already left at the end of X3. If the cure doesn't work, and Xavier survived, then there's no need to 'fix' those things.

Surely it has to be something more radical than that.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #311
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think that 'fixing' things implies a lot more than simply following through with hints already left at the end of X3. If the cure doesn't work, and Xavier survived, then there's no need to 'fix' those things.
there will be a mention of the cure and Xavier i'm sure, otherwise people will be asking what happened to the cure or how did Xavier come back

even if you feel you can make your own mind up with what happened, they will still need to give it a vocal conclusion

i wouldn't be surprised if after the cure failed they created sentinels to hunt down mutants, if thats the case it would still has to be verified vocally for movie goers

Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #312
Mr.M
Side-Kick

We don't know when this future will be set. It may be "some alternate future in the not too distant past," along with some prologue explaining how this all came about. DoFP is supposed to be a film that is its own thing. While I would put my money that this story follows the timeline from TLS, it may very well be some alternate timeline, and there is evidence to support both scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

Surely it has to be something more radical than that.
Think you are reading too much into it. It could be minor details. Take the cameo of Hank in X2. Hence the image inducer in 1973 explaining his human appearance. He could simply be referring to small inconsistencies, rather than a complete overhaul of the OT.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #313
Double B
Side-Kick

You don't say "fix ****" when referring to small inaccuracies - small inaccuracies that 99% of the general public - Like X2's Hank cameo - neither remember nor care about.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #314
Mr.M
Side-Kick

How much **** do they have to fix though? We know Xavier is back with that after credit scene, somehow, someway. The cure isn't permanent. They can easily pick up where TLS left off and go from there, if that's what they intend to do. I don't think they picked this 1973 time travel setting in an attempt to resurrect Jean and Scott 30 years later. So I don't know what else fans could be hoping for in terms of "correcting" stuff from TLS, outside of bringing dead characters back. Just pick up the story from there and do it right. People are just so desperate to see these characters back in the forefront, as do I. Cyclops was never a main character in this franchise, and he isn't very popular with the general public. I doubt we are going to be seeing a film with James Marsden's version front and center. Jean doesn't need to come back any time soon either.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-30-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #315
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
You don't say "fix ****" when referring to small inaccuracies - small inaccuracies that 99% of the general public - Like X2's Hank cameo - neither remember nor care about.
but he was referring to "continuity" when he said that.... and for the most part... the X-men Franchise has quite a few (small) continuity problems that add up to a big mess...

the only really large continuity problem with the X-men franchise is when and where Xavier can and can't walk

[=]
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #316
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
but he was referring to "continuity" when he said that.... and for the most part... the X-men Franchise has quite a few (small) continuity problems that add up to a big mess...

the only really large continuity problem with the X-men franchise is when and where Xavier can and can't walk
No, he wasn't.

Quote:
IGN: One thing that’s interesting about the alternate universe/timeline in Days of Future Past is that it could potentially give you the opportunity to revisit things that happened in the third film in terms of characters and endings that you might like to see changed.

Bryan Singer: You mean, what you’re politely saying is, “fix s**t.” Is that what you’re saying? That’s what I’m hearing. [Laughing]

IGN: [Laughing] Maybe…

Singer: There’s going to be a little of that, a few things I can repair.

IGN: Are fans going to be pleased with these things you will be repairing?

Singer: I think so, I think so, yes.

Last edited by Double B; 05-30-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #317
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I just hope this won't give the series more continuity errors. FC had a lot of continuity errors!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #318
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
No, he wasn't.
? That is so incredibly vague. You do realise that right?

[=]
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #319
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I think "undoing" is the wrong word to use. He certainly isn't just going to up an erase the original timeline he himself created, but I could absolutely see the 70's timeline and then the original timeline breaking off into two alternate timelines a la Star Trek 2009. (I know I keep bringing that up, but it's the best example)

Honestly, that makes the most sense.
I think that is very likely the direction DofP will take. It's an elegant solution that preserves the events of the original films (by that I mean X1-X3, maybe Origins), deals with concerns over matching up the events in First Class and its sequels with the time period of the original films, and wipes the slate clean for going forward.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #320
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Why does every single person who brings up this idea not realize one simple truth? Any creation of a ST'09-style alt timeline scenario will invalidate The Wolverine, which is not something FOX would let Singer do even if he wanted to.

The reason? It's not good business to release a movie - standalone though its story might be - have audiences pay to see said movie, then turn around a year later and say 'you remember that movie we released last year?' It happened in a completely different universe'.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #321
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I still see alternate timelines happening.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #322
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Pulling a Star Trek 09 to this movie series is not a good idea. First of all, the X-Men trilogy/Origins/TheWolverine are still new/recent compare to the 1st Star Trek series. Second, do people really think another X-Men movie headlined by the cast of First Class will really do great business at the box-office? Not at all, thats why they brought back the original cast instead of just releasing another movie with the FC cast. Third, the X-Men will still be in the "previous decade" and not in recent times if they moved forward with the cast of FC.

Just because First Class was a good movie, it doesn't mean they have to take over the original cast especially when they attract less to the general audience.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #323
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I still see alternate timelines happening.
Obviously there's going to be an alt timeline happenening; that doesn't mean that said timeline is going to be permanent.

BTW, the reason Abrams and Co were able to do what they did was because of the length of time that had passed between Star Trek Nemesis and ST '09, and because the franchise had gone fallow; this isn't even remotely the case with X-Men.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #324
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
BTW, the reason Abrams and Co were able to do what they did was because of the length of time that had passed between Star Trek Nemesis and ST '09, and because the franchise had gone fallow; this isn't even remotely the case with X-Men.
Exactly! I don't know why people don't see that.

If FOX wants to take a fresh take in the X-Men series and reintroduce of all the characters, the best way is to do a total reboot like what they are doing with Fantastic Four.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #325
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Finally something you and I can agree on.

BTW, something I have yet to see anyone who thinks that DoFP is going to do anything to significantly alter the composition of the current X-Franchise provide an answer for/to is the question of "Why would FOX jettison or alter the franchise now when they've had other opportunities to do so and haven't shown any real interest in taking said opportunities?'

Quote: