The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #51
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Default Re: FoX Cinematic Universe

That's why the idea of using DOFP to start a new timeline would be the best because it would essentially be a reboot without outright being a reboot.

If they did that, the movies coming out after it wouldn't have to fit into the pre-existing continuity of X1-X3, Origins, or The Wolverine - they could do whatever the hell they wanted.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #52
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Eh thats not a good idea, so they are gonna reintroduce Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Wolverine, etc in the future films... and make films that obviously are gonna attract less to the audience. The box-office performance of First Class/Origins and sooon The Wolverine already proved the general audience are less interested with spin-offs/prequels. Then if you reboot the series or introduce the characters w/o actually doing a total reboot would just confuse the general audience.

The general audience is not asking for something fresh, its just the fan-boys, who thinks releasing films is similar to releasing comic-books.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-29-2013 at 10:44 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #53
def28
Side-Kick

We will see how much audiences like a Fresh start when Man Of Steel comes out. If you don't think audiences are open to new things you are very mistaken.

Like SuperT said, the only problem would be recasting Jackman. No one but the hardcore Singer fans will care when the other X-Men are recast. Especially when it comes to underwhelming portrayels like Storm and Rogue. Singer has to give us something really to cool with them in DofP to say otherwise. Most X-Men are a bigger draw then any actor in the role.

Besides, Fassbender and Mcavoy already have people on board with their Prof X and Magneto. It's an easy transition that would actually be pretty considerate to the OT fans.

Last edited by def28; 05-30-2013 at 12:13 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #54
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?

Well they've left themselves LOADS of room for the next guy who plays Wolverine to differentiate his performance from Jackman's whilst still adhering close to source material. This is a Toby Maguire-to-Andrew Garfield type scenario.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #55
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well they've left themselves LOADS of room for the next guy who plays Wolverine to differentiate his performance from Jackman's whilst still adhering close to source material.
Agreed. Jackman is the only one audiences will care about being replaced though. People like that guy. And who knows, maybe the next Wolverine nails down the character. Regardless, when he does get recast after the first film no one will care. Things will move on like they always do and Wolverine will still be a popular character.

Last edited by def28; 05-30-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #56
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
We will see how much audiences like a Fresh start when Man Of Steel comes out. If you don't think audiences are open to new things you are very mistaken.

Like SuperT said, the only problem would be recasting Jackman. No one but the hardcore Singer fans will care when the other X-Men are recast. Especially when it comes to underwhelming portrayels like Storm and Rogue. Singer has to give us something really to cool with them in DofP to say otherwise. Most X-Men are a bigger draw then any actor in the role.

Besides, Fassbender and Mcavoy already have people on board with their Prof X and Magneto. It's an easy transition that would actually be pretty considerate to the OT fans.
You know they were major reasons why Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four got rebooted and it wasn't just because of creative decisions.

Superman = Superman Returns was a box-office disappointment
Batman = Batman & Robin both failed at reviews and box-office
Spider-Man = Sam Raimi bailed out and the cast didn't want to comeback w/o Raimi
Fantastic Four = Rise of Silver Surfer was a box office disappointment for FOX.

X-Men has the original cast, Bryan Singer and so far, none of the X-Men films became a big disappointment at the box-office. Even if X3/Origins weren't that good, it didn't really ruin the franchise.

This isn't the perfect timing for X-Men to be rebooted or pull a "Star Trek: New Generations" by moving forward with the cast of First Class. Like I said, this series is much better shape right now compare to the last 3 to 4 years because of the anticipation for Days of Future Past. Why do they have to reboot or soft-rboot X-Men while clearly, the general audience are still interested with the original cast and none of their films bombed. With DOFP being released, the general audience will once again be familar with Anna Paquin's Rogue, Halle's Storm, etc....

Reintroducing Storm, Rogue, Wolverine, Shadowcat, in an alternate timeline, played by different actors would just confuse general audience. And I feel like its not really that creative. Like after DOFP, its the perfect time to introduce more members to the X-Men team, introduce new villains and some of you want to reintroduce X-Men members that we already saw in a couple of films. And there's MORE freedom with making more movies with the original cast. They aren't living in the past decade, the general audience wouldn't be confuse and they are familiar with the OT/their characters that they are portraying.

Anyway, what some of you are suggesting aren't gonna happen. If DOFp disappoints, they would forward with a reboot not a movie with the cast of First Class. If DOFP succeeds, expect X-Men 5 in 2016 or 2017.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-30-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #57
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
This isn't the perfect timing for X-Men to be rebooted or pull a "Star Trek: New Generations" by moving forward with the cast of First Class.
Yeah, it is. Everyone is already introduced in FC and will be only more known after DoFP is released. Your obviously very tied to the OT actors and don't want change, as would any fan of a franchise. That's understandable. But it's actually a nice way to pass the torch and transition into a clean start.

This franchise can move in so many different ways, it's not even worth debating till we know more.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #58
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I agree, it's almost the perfect time to pull a semi-reboot. Going back to using the same cast from almost six years ago is not injecting new life into the franchise. As much as I love the original cast, they are kind of been there, done that - the ship as sailed on them.

The franchise needs new, young, emerging actors and actresses that can bring some excitement to the franchise It shouldn't have to be held down by past movies or fit into some preconceived continuity that only hinders stories that lets them grow.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #59
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Its a bad idea and they can inject new life into the franchise by introducing new villains and characters. Days of Future Past wouldn't have a lot of hype in the net if its just featuring the cast of First Class. Like I said, take the Fast/Furious route - they brought back the original cast, included more characters that are portrayed by huge movie actors and they gave the movies a bigger scale.

X-Men can totally do that. You two made it sound like, that the only way for the X-Men to be successful is to ditch the original cast and move on to the cast that headlined the lowest grossing X-Men movie to date.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-30-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #60
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
This franchise can move in so many different ways, it's not even worth debating till we know more.
The best way for this franchise is how to make it bigger and more appealing to the general audience. No one is asking for a fresh take or a new cast. Just because most superhero films are being rebooted right now because of box-office disappointments in the past (Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer, Superman Returns, Batman & Robin) and directors leaving the franchise (Spider-Man 3 and Dark Knight Rises. It doesn't mean X-Men should do a reboot too. There are still a lot of franchises that started in the last decade or the 90s that are still going strong and making movies with the original cast or the main lead like Fast/Furious, Mission: Impossible, Men in Black.

This X-Men series isn't gonna get more money if they are gonna ditching the original cast who are the main draw for X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #61
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

The reason franchises like Star Trek, Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman were rebooted is because they'd either gone completely fallow or had hit a 'wall' in some fashion. The X-Men franchise has neither hit a 'wall' or gone fallow.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #62
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Exactly!

Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #63
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
The reason franchises like Star Trek, Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman were rebooted is because they'd either gone completely fallow or had hit a 'wall' in some fashion. The X-Men franchise has neither hit a 'wall' or gone fallow.
I think many would disagree with that. The numbers have never been huge here, and the hate on X3 and Origins has been just as strong with other franchises.

They killed their leader, have arguably one of the worst mapped out franchises, Origins is known as being pure ****, many characters are poor adaptations or just flat out not developed and now they are trying to make up for all of it. If this film actually puts out with it's potential then yeah all that can change. But This franchise is getting some sort of rebirth be it with the original cast or new ones and FC because they have had too many mistakes.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #64
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

And still X3 and Origins got a fresh user rating in a website like Rotten Tomatoes, which compiles reviews from critics. Yeah its universally hated.... no.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #65
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
And still X3 and Origins got a fresh user rating in a website like Rotten Tomatoes, which compiles reviews from critics. Yeah its universally hated.... no.
Spider-MAn 3 RT 63%.
X3 RT 57%
Origins 38%

....and if your going by fan reviews, X3 and Origins don't even have a million. And usually (not always) the higher # your fan reviews the larger drop. Even then, the percentage is nothing to go by... unless its at like 20-40%. Titanic and Spider-Man 1 have under 70% fan approval with 35 million reviews. Those are pretty damn well received films. With the mismatch in votes and not knowing whos spamming, it's impossible to use as evidence as what movie is better.

I don't think alot of the non comic reading audience hate X3 either. But if you think that film was a step in the right direction for the franchise, your off base. That film has some of the worst decisions in any franchise.

Last edited by def28; 05-31-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #66
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I was talking about "user ratings" and still, they weren't universally hated by people. And even in Yahoo movies, both films got a B+ rating. The general audience/casual viewers didn't hate the movie.

The bottom line is they didn't kill the franchise and now with Bryan Singer back, they have the opportunity to go back to basics w/ the original cast and come up with new great stories.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-31-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #67
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

def28, it could be argued as to whether the franchise has in fact hit a 'wall', but it has certainly not gone fallow (dormant).

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #68
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was talking about "user ratings" and still, they weren't universally hated by people. And even in Yahoo movies, both films got a B+ rating. The general audience/casual viewers didn't hate the movie.
So was I.

Spider-Man 3 has like a 3.5 star rating on yahoo movies with more reviews then X3.

Think whatever you want, Spidey 3 and X3 are in the same league. I'd argue Spidey 3 excells technically in many ways. But Origins....that's hitting a wall pretty damn hard. Good for them to try again and I hope The Wolverine is a decent apology, but Origins is a different level of bad. Even Jackman and crew know it.

Last edited by def28; 05-31-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #69
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Even if O:W constitutes 'hitting a wall', First Class already gave the franchise a 'shot in the arm', and TW and DoFP look to be poised to keep the momentum generated by FC going.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #70
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
def28, it could be argued as to whether the franchise has in fact hit a 'wall', but it has certainly not gone fallow (dormant).
Spidey wasn't dormant either though, only reason we got a reboot was cause Raimi couldn't hit the deadline and didn't want to give the Studio a subpar movie. But Star Trek was def due of a reboot.

7 years is a long time to go without an OT team flick. Can't deny this franchise is old.

Quote:
^ Even if O:W constitutes 'hitting a wall', First Class already gave the franchise a 'shot in the arm', and TW and DoFP look to be poised to keep the momentum generated by FC going.
I agree with that, and if these films are top notch and give us something new then I'm completely fine with the OT staying in tact. It's this argument that the GA would be against anything new or Fresh that I disagree with. This franchise needs change and focus in other places, and it's going to get that one way or another.

Last edited by def28; 05-31-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #71
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ I'd consider the issues that led to the TASM series constituting 'hitting a wall', albeit one of a a production nature as opposed to a box-office one as in the case of Star Trek, Batman, and Superman, but YMMV.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 04:54 AM   #72
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ I'd consider the issues that led to the TASM series constituting 'hitting a wall', albeit one of a a production nature as opposed to a box-office one as in the case of Star Trek, Batman, and Superman, but YMMV.
They really are different situations for each studio and franchise. They all have reached that point in someway or another, including The X-men. Otherwise they wouldn't be trying to fix their own problems within this film. They are doing the same thing as other studios, just within the narrative...

Last edited by def28; 05-31-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #73
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I agree with that, and if these films are top notch and give us something new then I'm completely fine with the OT staying in tact. It's this argument that the GA would be against anything new or Fresh that I disagree with. This franchise needs change and focus in other places, and it's going to get that one way or another.
They can definitely give us something new with moving forward with the original cast after DOFP. If they were able to come up with new characters, new villains and new stories for the first 7 films. They definitely can come up with a new story and bring in some new faces for X-Men 5, especially with Bryan Singer involved. And like Lauren Shuler Donner, there's literally hundreds of stories in the comic-books. They wouldn't have a hard time finding their inspiration for the story of the next film.