Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Updated Rating for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff17 View Post
Blake visiting the boys home, which slows down the story and really doesn't add much to the overall plot. Nothing we wouldn't have found out anyways. Weakest scenes in the film.
That scene was meant as an introduction to the orphanage that plays a pretty important part with the film(especially the ending) as well as bringing up that Batman 'tag' for the first time when Mark draws them on the bench.

The next scene when the orphanage is brought up gives an interesting line on Gordon's whereabouts and the "less you know, Father", which is, imo, a hint of Gordon hiding out until the dust settles so to speak so Gotham wouldn't want his head on a platter when he starts to move forward in his plan to find the bomb.

Quote:
Bruce sleeping with Miranda. Stupidest plot choice imaginable. Can't believe this even when I think about it now. Makes me rage, remove it from the film because all it is a con. No reason for it to be there, it doesn't move the plot along, it makes no sense in the overall story. Remove the entire scene(I always skip it while watching the Blu-ray).
Besides being a more or less nod to Talia becoming pregnant with Damien, this scene brings up a couple excellent points:

- When Miranda/Talia grabs the picture of Rachel, Bruce can't even look at it anymore and puts it down while Miranda/Talia does her best to get him to forget about everything except for her, even asking where Alfred is. Getting him all to herself then leads to...

- asking Bruce to leave with her to her plane. I saw that as a 'Plan A' sort of thing to get Bruce in The Pit rather than being broken by Bane.

Quote:
The other problem with the film is after Bruce escapes and returns to Gotham, it’s a jumbled mess from there until he catches back up with Gordon on the ice. They should have removed the whole Miranda/Gordon thing after meeting with Foley and kept Miranda with Fox. Sloppy editing or planning in that whole sequence. I can't believe it how rushed and really lazy that makes the movie feel in retrospect. It's frustrating.
If you leave Miranda with Fox, then you'd need her to be capture just as Fox was.

Quote:
Alfred is left the estate after Bruce is declared dead, is informed pearls are still missing. Blake still left the map. Same Morgan Freeman, and Gordon sequence- leaving them to wonder as we the viewers are. Since the ending not telegraphed by Alfred in sequence earlier in the film, and we know Bruce can track the pearls we can expand on the suspense of the ending sequence. We begin to see Alfred remembering this, and he begins to track pearls. Prehaps we see him getting off a plane, traveling to the cafe scene, camera focuses in on Selina with pearls on, as Alfred RISES to confront her about the pearls, she moves her head to reveal Bruce to the audience and Alfred, they see each other both smile and he goes to join them. In a way similar feeling to the end of the Shawshank Redemption. Cut to Blake entering the cave, same final sequence, final shot.
Sounds pretty well thought out except for Alfred joining Bruce and Selina. Alfred seeing Bruce happy and then leaving is the best option because Alfred is still part of Bruce's past, which he needs to let go of. As well as Alfred being given the keys to the estate. Now I understand that's why you wouldn't use the orphanage at all, but it plays a part in the fact that Bruce and Blake are both orphans and the last thing Bruce helps his city with his helping out the orphans in the end.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote