The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #901
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Am I the only one who finds TDK the weakest of the trilogy?

No you aren't. BB is clearly the best for me, then TDKR, then TDK slightly behind TDKR. All three are in my top 10 superhero movies.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #902
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Awesome Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Team BB!

No. I'm the same way. Heck, I still remember all the details and timelines of the shoot. And all the trolling...

That "storm is coming" fake teaser with fake cheering...

Blurple! (Kane! )

That guy from Apple who "saw" the "new" Batsuit!

That guy who said he saw the trailer and posted that pic of a family with 3D glasses on (from the net).

Waiting for the set pics in India...

The poster here who stood up his date for the trailer that never came.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #903
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Is it strange that I remember the hype behind TDKR more than the movie?
Not at all. A movie lasts 2 hours and change, the hype train chugs along for a year and a half.

It's the same for me with TDK. I live for the hype of these things.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #904
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

TDK's hype was definitely better than the movie. Perhaps the best marketing campaign ever. Definitely the last great viral campaign we've seen. Studios just don't spend the money on that kind of thing anymore ever since the economy crashed shortly after TDK came out.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #905
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

TDK's hype and marketing was phenomenal. Easily the best hype I've ever experienced, even more than the hype prior to The Avengers.

Anyone else remember that number you had to dial on your phone to hear the Joker torturing someone?

Old 05-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #906
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
TDK's hype was definitely better than the movie.
Not a snowball's chance in hell. One of the few movies where the movie lived up to the hype.

- The Joker
Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #907
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Not a snowball's chance in hell.
You love your TDK.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #908
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Heart Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
You love your TDK.

- The Joker
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #909
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I gotta say that 2008 is by far the best year of CBM's we've gotten. This isn't just because we got a huge number of films that were good to great (Iron Man, TDK, Hellboy 2, The Incredible Hulk, in my opinion Punisher: War Zone; with the only bad CBM of the year being The Spirit) but also because we've had multiple movies that year, both comic book movies and just general ones, that did well at the box office because they were good movies, Iron Man and TDK being the best examples. It is nice to see what we can still get that once in a while as opposed to crappy movies always making tons of money or great movies not making the full amount they deserve.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #910
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Not a snowball's chance in hell. One of the few movies where the movie lived up to the hype.
ha. It's one of the few movies where the hype wasn't completely misleading, I'll give you that. The movie is pretty darn good, but the marketing was downright phenomenal. Best thing about the movie was Ledger and his performance is heavily featured in the marketing. Plus the viral campaign was brilliant.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #911
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

The pros of TDKR outweigh the cons for me. Even with it's flaws, I still find alot to love about the film. In my mind it's one of the better 3rd entries in the genre followed by IM3.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #912
kvz5
HBIC

TDKR's marketing was... weird. I get that they wanted to keep as much of the plot as secret as possible but still... I was expecting Anne Hathaway to be on the cover of every magazine and she only did one. Bale and Hardy didn't do anything with the US and UK magazines either. IIRC they also didn't screen the movie or grant any interviews to the movie bloggers (like Collider, /Film, etc.). The interviews with the movie bloggers are usually more fun than the ones from AP or the entertainment sites (which is just what they did). Heck, Hardy and Cotillard were even MIA at the press junket in the US. I'm bitter about that because I was looking forward to the cast interviews and interactions.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #913
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
TDK's hype was definitely better than the movie. Perhaps the best marketing campaign ever. Definitely the last great viral campaign we've seen. Studios just don't spend the money on that kind of thing anymore ever since the economy crashed shortly after TDK came out.
I can't say I fully agree to this, but there is a part of me that will always remember the marketing/virals before I even think about the film itself when it comes to The Dark Knight. It was that good that it sorta does overshadow the film in a way. Everytime I showed up to superherohype.com it was just an overflow of the marketing, and I'm guessing some feel the same way who were registered on the forums during that time.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #914
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
ha.

I don't think there are any masterpieces in the superhero genre. This genre puts a lot of limits on filmmakers.
I think the genre of CBMs has its own rule when it comes to masterpieces. As you said, and I'll agree, the genre certainly has its limits with the filmmakers. Something so ambitious as TDKR is, I think that makes it a masterpiece in my eyes. The scope of it, the finality of it, the "feels" I have when watching it...it's a CBM as its finest and Nolan has certainly made three of the finest in this genre, but TDKR takes the cake for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I gotta say that 2008 is by far the best year of CBM's we've gotten. This isn't just because we got a huge number of films that were good to great (Iron Man, TDK, Hellboy 2, The Incredible Hulk, in my opinion Punisher: War Zone; with the only bad CBM of the year being The Spirit) but also because we've had multiple movies that year, both comic book movies and just general ones, that did well at the box office because they were good movies, Iron Man and TDK being the best examples. It is nice to see what we can still get that once in a while as opposed to crappy movies always making tons of money or great movies not making the full amount they deserve.
Punisher: War Zone, eh?

I would have to agree, though.

The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Hellboy II: The Golden Army were all great films. It's been a while since we had more than just two great CBMs in a year since 2008. And, there was 2010 with Kick-Ass and Red.

Every film in Nolan's trilogy had at least one other great CBM in their respective year. We know of 2008 obviously and there was Sin City with Batman Begins and Dredd with The Dark Knight Rises(yes, I'll rate Dredd higher than TA these days...although TA is still a really good film, just only gone down in my eyes).

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 05-31-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #915
Ryan
Side-Kick

Thumbs up Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by the joker View Post
no. The hype was more exciting than the movie itself lol

Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #916
Caped Crusader
The One Man Who Beat You

I miss the TDK marketing hype days

Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #917
doobie
Side-Kick

I've thought a lot about whether I enjoyed the anticipation to TDK more than the actual movie itself. Maybe you can't separate the two, cause, the film was the climax to the hype. But, as awesome as the film was, I do wonder if the lead up was actually more fun and a happier memory for me.

From reading that Ledger had been cast, to checking here every day for fuzzy shots of action figures, reading the casting script sheets. Checking daily for script rumors and news, debating what would happen in the plot, how Joker would be created, set videos and pics, etc. Reading reports from friends at the comic con doing that treasure hunt, hearing that live audio broadcast of Harvey saving the hostages.

I was just crazy with anticipation and not being able to wait. I loved Begins and I was nuts to see the world of Begins expand to Two Face and Joker with a bigger budget and more epic story. I had all these huge ideas in my head for how the film would be like, this huge epic of Batman taking down all crime with Joker as his nemesis.

I was even dreaming about it, one dream where Joker was on a big TV Screen outside like in the 89 film, scarring Dent while the city had to watch, and another where I was like a hacker in a huge internet café tracking Joker down on computers.

I mean the movie topped all this off and it was awesome, but the wait was such a joyful time for us, I can't imagine anything would top it. I tried to repeat the experience for TDKR but it wasn't the same - I was really wanting to know how Nolan would end the story and stuff, who Blake was, but there wasn't that same magic.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #918
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I will always love Begins the most. Bale was at his best and I'm a sucker for origin stories (ones that are warranted or classic).

I'm going to say the same thing I said in my review of TDKR once I got to see it and that is that my appreciation for TDK increased by a lot. I always enjoyed the film but found certain elements about it lacking (or so I thought) but once I had digested TDKR it gave me better perspective. Both Begins and TDK I feel accomplished to deliver what it wanted within the allocated time whereas TDKR plot really does feel like it was truncated to a cliffs notes version. They wanted to tell so many stories of so many different characters but in doing that they created a disservice more than anything.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed TDKR and find the performances to be excellent but it's easily the weakest link out of the bunch.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #919
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Heh. I remember the rumors that Batman was going to scar Joker with his grappling hook line. So glad that wasn't the case.

I didn't fully get what Nolan meant when he compared Joker to the shark in Jaws until I saw the finished film, but I'm so glad that's the direction they went with.

Free Original Music
Old 06-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #920
doobie
Side-Kick

I remember, about mid 2007, far earlier than we got any casting sides or anything. I was at work browsing IMDB's "batman sequel" forum for news about the movie - I can't even remember if the film had been named or Ledger cast then. Some woman writing in broken English made a thread, she said she had been a maid at the office of a script editor and been fired, she was not very clear and didn't name the person. She said she had the new Batman script and would paste pages.

In the page, Batman was chasing Joker on a bike, and Joker swerves into a warehouse, and Batman crashes into the warehouse and is unconscious. Joker starts caressing his hands down Batman's armor and says "finally, I get to see Gotham's hero up close". He then hears sirens and starts a little monologue over Batman's sleeping body, about how excited he is to see up close what Batman is made of and that he is just a man, and how he could kill him but doesn't want to lose his nemesis. Then Gordon bursts in and arrests him.

When I finally saw the movie, the truck crash scene was a bit similar, minus the dialogue and being in a warehouse, so I always wondered if she actually had an early version or something. The thread and poster were deleted though.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #921
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I will always love Begins the most. Bale was at his best and I'm a sucker for origin stories (ones that are warranted or classic).

I'm going to say the same thing I said in my review of TDKR once I got to see it and that is that my appreciation for TDK increased by a lot. I always enjoyed the film but found certain elements about it lacking (or so I thought) but once I had digested TDKR it gave me better perspective. Both Begins and TDK I feel accomplished to deliver what it wanted within the allocated time whereas TDKR plot really does feel like it was truncated to a cliffs notes version. They wanted to tell so many stories of so many different characters but in doing that they created a disservice more than anything.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed TDKR and find the performances to be excellent but it's easily the weakest link out of the bunch.
I agree with everything.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #922
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie View Post
I remember, about mid 2007, far earlier than we got any casting sides or anything. I was at work browsing IMDB's "batman sequel" forum for news about the movie - I can't even remember if the film had been named or Ledger cast then. Some woman writing in broken English made a thread, she said she had been a maid at the office of a script editor and been fired, she was not very clear and didn't name the person. She said she had the new Batman script and would paste pages.

In the page, Batman was chasing Joker on a bike, and Joker swerves into a warehouse, and Batman crashes into the warehouse and is unconscious. Joker starts caressing his hands down Batman's armor and says "finally, I get to see Gotham's hero up close". He then hears sirens and starts a little monologue over Batman's sleeping body, about how excited he is to see up close what Batman is made of and that he is just a man, and how he could kill him but doesn't want to lose his nemesis. Then Gordon bursts in and arrests him.

When I finally saw the movie, the truck crash scene was a bit similar, minus the dialogue and being in a warehouse, so I always wondered if she actually had an early version or something. The thread and poster were deleted though.
Wow, ten points to maids everywhere. Funny that we don't get more script leaks this way (or maybe we do ).

Free Original Music
Old 06-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #923
doobie
Side-Kick

This series had been such a wild ride for us.

I remember having rock bottom hopes for the new Batman, all the rumors were of the weird homeless Bruce movie. Then, I saw some cool pics of the new Bale Batman in a magazine, and read that Ra's was the villain. This blew my mind, I went on the internet and found the leaked script. And I think reading it changed my life.

It re-awakened all my nerd passions, not just Batman but all comics and sci fi. I started reading all the comics I'd wanted to read but never got round to, even classic Marvel and indie comics. Posting on comic book forums, meeting creators, I plunged in. All the while waiting for this movie.

And when I saw it I found it so stirring and powerful. I wanted to go out there into the world and explore like Bruce did, push my bravery. I could not wait for the next movie and was nuts with excitement, checking google every day for spy pics and story leaks. I almost felt part of a religious community with the fandom waiting for the film. And how epic it was, I wanted my life to be so epic.

Then I was older and had been through much more in life when Rises came out, it was so moving to see Bruce end his career.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #924
kvz5
HBIC

Damn. I was watching MoS' (amazing) featurette and it made me nostalgic.

Where were you when this was released last year?

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...ed-inside-look

Ahhh... this one...

Last edited by kvz5; 06-01-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #925
JackWhite
Third Man

I think I was at work when the featurette was released, IIRC. I remember getting home and checking my email later that day and my buddy from work sent me an email with the link.

I remember watching a bootleg of the prologue like 50 times back in December of 2011. It still sucks with what happened to the prologue with the nu-dub.

Closed Thread