The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #76
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Default Re: Derek Cianfrance's The Place Beyond the Pines

Every time I see it, a new section becomes my favorite. So, like children, I can't really pick a definitive favorite

Also, Dane DeHaan is Oscar worthy in this.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #77
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

So stoked about Dehaan as Osborn after seeing this. I mean he was good in Chronicle too, but in this one he is just great. Then again Cianfrance has a way of getting special performances out of actors. Like Eva Mendes said: It's almost impossible to suck in a Derek Cianfrance movie.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #78
Rez
Side-Kick

This was fantastic. I'd be interested in seeing a differently cut version of the film that wasn't linear. Just off the top of my head for an example, if when DeHaan visits Mendelsohn it cuts back and then shows us the scene where Gosling says he owes him a new bike. And then cut back to when he says "You're dad was a good guy.." and "I think the police cut it apart." Would be interesting for sure.

I think seeing some of corrupt cop stuff was a little extraneous, but it was all worth it for the visual of Cooper holding Gosling's baby.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Last edited by Rez; 04-17-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #79
Hurm...
Side-Kick

The film wouldn't have had the same impact on me had it been non-linear. Cianfrance knows what he's doing.

It almost makes me wish that Cloud Atlas followed the linear structure of the book and had centered around 3 stories rather than 6.

This film is an "epic" that reaches a full circle within 2 hours and 20 min. Something Nolan couldn't do quite as well with 2 hours and 45 minutes in TDKR (then again, it was a studio film so he gets a pass).

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Last edited by Hurm...; 04-18-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #80
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Yeah the linearity of the film is a BIG reason why it works so well for me.

Free Original Music
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #81
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
So stoked about Dehaan as Osborn after seeing this. I mean he was good in Chronicle too, but in this one he is just great. Then again Cianfrance has a way of getting special performances out of actors. Like Eva Mendes said: It's almost impossible to suck in a Derek Cianfrance movie.
The most interesting thing was, after the film I had a discussion about Dehaan's character and how ungrateful he is. Then my friend interjected and made some good points: Teenagers work at a different..logical wavelength. It's a very vulnerable and developmental stage in anyone's life: learning how you are and where you came from.

In many classic stories, there's always been a mysticism about fathers and sons. Even if I didn't agree with Dehaan's character and his motivation, his near-obession with his father is warranted because it's a fascination in fiction/non-ficiton since the dawn of time. Doesn't mean that Dehann is right or respectful but it's there.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #82
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Just saw this - it was freaking amazing. The callbacks in the film down to the kid learning about his dad while eating ice cream again at the same place as when he was a baby, to the picture again at the same place, the mirroring shots of the kid on the bike and the father on his (both on the road to the pines and their respective robberies), also forgetting his glasses for the son to get it in the future, the kid becoming a wreck like his father feared once he found out about the truth (which he made the mom not tell), the way the son's nose is bleeding due to AJ mirroring Luke's blood on his face due to Avery. Avery's money toss is comparison to Luke's and the shift in roles of their children vs the previous generation.

The characters are all VERY well fleshed out and beautifully acted.

It was also shot beautifully (God, I love film) and considering they cut down their budget on lighting to get more shooting days because Cianfrance wanted more days to work with the actors, the film was actually incredibly lit.

The music was beautiful, as was the sound design (especially that sound of the gun in Robin's mouth). A couple shots were a little out of focus, but it's to be expected with film - harder to get playback + optimal exposure, and the film was already running on a small budget - reshooting takes with film is very difficult with no money.

Also how all four of the main characters' first appearances were done by a tracking shot from behind (Luke, Avery, AJ and Jason).

The pacing in the film was masterfully edited - kudos to the editor.

All around a fantastic film.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #83
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I really really enjoyed this film such a great drama character piece. I personally live in upstate NY so all of the settings are very familiar to me because that's the type of area I live in, and have actually been to the town they shot in many times as a kid.

I don't have any gripes here all of the performances were top notch loved Gosling, Mendez and DeHane also this is the second film in the last 6 months that actually impressed me with Bradley Cooper's acting skills.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #84
Slick
Monster King

Fantastic I loved it. Also the music was just great mike patton needs to do more scores

Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #85
Hurm...
Side-Kick

What was the exact quote from the film?

"Every time he eats ice cream he'll see my face"

Love it.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #86
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Got the score today. Really beautiful stuff here.

Free Original Music
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #87
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The most interesting thing was, after the film I had a discussion about Dehaan's character and how ungrateful he is. Then my friend interjected and made some good points: Teenagers work at a different..logical wavelength. It's a very vulnerable and developmental stage in anyone's life: learning how you are and where you came from.
It isn't "ungrateful" no matter what age you are. It is only natural wondering who your parent/s is/are. I'm 25 and I'm still going to search in a couple of years. Does it mean I'm ungrateful? No, but I do have the right as does anyone else of knowing who my biological parents are and of my health history.

Unless you meant just running away and shooting people? In which case, I agree with that. Just tired of people telling me it's selfish of me to want to find my own fortress of solitude and my biological parents. People have four kids and it's no problem, somebody can naturally know all four already parents no problem.

Movie 10/10.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-25-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #88
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Finally got to see this. It did not disappoint but definitely did surprise me given how much a lot of the marketing has focused on Gosling reminded me of Psycho in the respect.

Bradley Cooper was quite good in this, I think he really sold everything that he need to.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #89
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I had an interesting experience watching this film because in the early parts of the film I found my self thinking "Odd, these banks all have old money" because all of the bills were older with the smaller pictures and weren't monopoly colored on the edges. And also, how many people Gosling's age throw out Hall and Oats references?

Then the film makes the "15 years later" time jump and the security camera at the police station has a 2012 date (plus the election year) and suddenly it made sense. The earlier parts of the film take place in 1997 or so.

It reminded me of some discussions I had after Final Destination 5 in that other than some technological things, there is nothing particularly distinct between now and the mid to late 90s in terms of style and things. Imagine trying to pass off 1960 as 1975, it just wouldn't work.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #90
Rez
Side-Kick

We think that because we grew up then, so it's easy for us to be fooled or oversight certain aspects. "Some technological things" might seem like a throwaway statement, but down the line when films are made taking place circa 2005 or later, the number 1 defining aspect of the time will likely be the massive amounts of cell phone use.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #91
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
We think that because we grew up then, so it's easy for us to be fooled or oversight certain aspects. "Some technological things" might seem like a throwaway statement, but down the line when films are made taking place circa 2005 or later, the number 1 defining aspect of the time will likely be the massive amounts of cell phone use.
Certainly, and that's what I meant really. And cellphones were something that were used as a hint that FD5 took place in 1999. It is still easy to pass off though.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #92
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Interview with Cianfrance. Interestingly he lists George A Romero as one of his main influences, comparing the stucture of this film to Creepshow in particular. Odd.

He also mentions Psycho and Janet Leigh! I'm not just crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhNgBBo1iSk Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INccG5o6Ht4 Part 2

Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #93
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Saw this today, very good film. Really loved it but like many people have said it really surprised me how the story unfolded..

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #94
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I liked as well. I wasn't really surprised by much besides the ending.

Everyone in the movie was solid. I don't know why some folks are acting like Bradley Cooper is an acting revelation in this. Its like people don't expect him to do serious acting just because he has been in the hangover or wedding crashers.

The pharmacy and hospital scenes with dehaan reminded me of Chronicle.

Jason is such a douchebag.

The opening tracking shot is beautiful

Last edited by chamber-music; 05-05-2013 at 01:49 PM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #95
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

I thought it was very good, Cooper gave easily the best performance of his career and the sprawling narrative was a bit of a surprise, I was engrossed by the layers the film delved into.

I thought the way Luke and Avery's stories intersected was beautifully done and felt very organic, as did the aftermath and the surprising directions Avery went in, he was a a damaged but resourceful man who made survival calls that exist in a morally grey discomfort zone.

The third act jumping forward 15 years really caught me off guard and while I felt Luke and Avery's sons coming together was contrived, I cut it some slack as it completed the saga of these two men powerfully, kinda like a Godfather movie but with ordinary people.

Derek Cianfrance fills the film with evocative imagery and despite it clearly being low budget he creates some dynamic moments via inventive shot selection. In truth he could have made 2 movies out of this script, instead he went for a bold multi-layered tale and his choice has produced a film that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

8.5/10

Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #96
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator

Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #97
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Dope.

Free Original Music
Old 06-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #98
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Who made that art?

Edit: It's from Rich Kelly. I've seen some of his work before.

Here's his website.

http://rfkelly.com/The-New-Republic

Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #99
Project862006
Banned User

finally caught this i really enjoyed it as much as i love gosling cooper was the stand out performance

8/10
i didn't really like the abrupt ending tho caught me off guard since it felt there was more to tell and cover

edt:also the way jason turned out to be was extremely unrealistic he was a loner,stoner,robbed pharmacy for Oxycontin,sold extacy and knew someone who could get him a gun and kidnapped avery

dude had a loving mom and step dad kofi who has been there since he was baby yet he turned out just as bad as dehaan's chronicle character who had an abusive father lol

Last edited by Project862006; 09-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #100
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
It reminded me of some discussions I had after Final Destination 5 in that other than some technological things, there is nothing particularly distinct between now and the mid to late 90s in terms of style and things. Imagine trying to pass off 1960 as 1975, it just wouldn't work.

There is a huge difference between the styles of the (mid to late) 90's and now. I could tell right away from the fashion alone that this film took place in the mid-90's (the acid wash jeans, baggy leather jackets, etc...among other things, provided just enough information to surmise when this story took place). So it was there, but very understated.

The genius part is that Cianfrance didn't hit you over the head with it as period films usually do by decking every character out in all the painfully obvious, telltale styles of the time period like films usually do (bellbottoms, perms and gold chains in the 70's, etc...). Not everyone always dresses in the most "current", up-to-date fashions/styles- but we've been conditioned by period films/pop culture over the years to understand the aesthetics of certain time periods looking a particular way.

Trying to pass of 2012 as 1996(ish), would work equally as well as trying to pass off 1975 as 1960.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote