The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Silvermoth
Avenger

Default Iron Man 3 - What does it tell us about Phase 2? (Major spoiler warning)

Hi guys,

For those of us who have seen Iron Man 3 what do you think will eventually relate to Phase 2?

I think it's a good indication that the other solo films won't have the Avengers popping in all the time. Also we can expect some Mandarinesque twists. I wonder if Joss will try something similar with something else as camp like the Masters of Evil maybe?

It's also a good sign that Marvel are taking more risks now. Captain America was far too safe but I think they're trying new things now and that's a really good thing!

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Default Re: Iron Man 3 - What does it tell us about Phase 2? (Major spoiler warning)

I don't think Avengers 2 outside of more cosmic/time-travel stuff will be any more risky.

If the movie fails to click people could abandon the Marvel cinematic universe altogether.

They need something safe and reliable but just as fun and exciting as the original.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Iron Man 3 - What does it tell us about Phase 2? (Major spoiler warning)

IM3 took risks and became the third-most successful superhero movie of all time, behind Avengers and TDK. That's *got* to encourage the studio and its filmmakers to not "play it safe." I think it's becoming quite clear that Alan Taylor, The Brothers Russo, and James Gunn are definitely gambling on their respective movies, too. And certainly Joss isn't going to be content to sit back on his heels and deliver just a rehash of Avengers 1.

Phase II is Marvel's big gamble. So far, it's hit the jackpot. Hopefully, the winning streak continues.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think it points to a greater willingness to diverge from the real world. IM3 has Killian specifically invoking the various aliens as reasons for why he decided to embrace whole-hearted supervillainy rather than subtle evil. I suspect the upcoming movies will continue the trend of world being changed in ways physical and thematic.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Blake II
Banned User

What does Iron Man 3 tell us about Phase 2 other than A.I.M. being a potential threat and not having superheros solve all the worlds problems? Umm.....NOTHING.

There were no good easter eggs in this film. Hell, at least in Iron Man 2 it gave us easter eggs about the Tesseract, Captain America, Thor, and a new element that were all going to be used in future marvel movies.

But what does Iron Man 3 tell us? What does that weak post-credits scene with Banner tell us?

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

^^ IM3 is going to mean a heck of a lot more, in the MCU connections after Cap 2 comes out.. I can just feel it. I also think you might have been watching the wrong movie if all you got out of IM3 was that AIM is bad lol so many angles from IM3 can be picked up and added to in this Phase of the MCU.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

-AIM is established.
-Roxxon - which configures heavily into the Winter Soldier arc-is established.
-Superhuman abilities can be installed into people through Killian's tech.
-Killian (and possibly AIM) have mapped other realms.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
Blake II
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Extremis? People now know of extremis but they do not know how to inject it into someone.

And on a side note, how the hell did a couple of regular doctors fix up pepper pots after she looked like she was on an extremis overdose? They have no experience in fixing this type of thing.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I'm hoping very little from IM3 plays a role in Avengers 2 outside of Tony coming out of retirement.

Ditto for Thor 2.

I think the cosmic and SHIELD stuff in GotG and Cap 2 would be a smoother and better fit.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
-AIM is established.
-Roxxon - which configures heavily into the Winter Soldier arc-is established.
-Killian (and possibly AIM) have mapped other realms.
also I would add

-the new found 'emtpy brain slot'
-AIMs probable connection to Hydra (just speculating, but hope it happens in Cap2)
- the whole President/Vice President thing will probably pop up in Cap2 as well

I think Cap2 and IM3 are going to be very closely related, almost like one long movie or something haha. And I think Thor2 and GotG are going to connect as well but I can't really think of how yet. And I could see Avengers 2 being set over both planes, cosmic and Earth based with elements of each movies planted seeds to tie everything together nicely.

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I'm hoping very little from IM3 plays a role in Avengers 2 outside of Tony coming out of retirement.

Ditto for Thor 2.

I think the cosmic and SHIELD stuff in GotG and Cap 2 would be a smoother and better fit.
are you just bitter over the whole Mandarin thing? Because IM3 did a lot to establish a very solid base for the entirety of Phase 2.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
Extremis? People now know of extremis but they do not know how to inject it into someone.

And on a side note, how the hell did a couple of regular doctors fix up pepper pots after she looked like she was on an extremis overdose? They have no experience in fixing this type of thing.
Because Tony solved the Extremis stabilizing algorithm.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Extremis is a sideshow, honestly. The big thing is the 'brain slot', which is a general purpose physiological basis for superpowers. They've basically set things up to justify almost any human superpowers, including naturally occurring ones.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
STR1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Extremis is a sideshow, honestly. The big thing is the 'brain slot', which is a general purpose physiological basis for superpowers. They've basically set things up to justify almost any human superpowers, including naturally occurring ones.
Including "super speed"?

STR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR1 View Post
Including "super speed"?
Compared to breathing fire and reassembling one's self after being exploded several times, super speed is nothing.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Because Tony solved the Extremis stabilizing algorithm.
At a New Years' Eve party 13 years ago! While he was drunk! And getting laid! With a box of scraps!

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
At a New Years' Eve party 13 years ago! While he was drunk! And getting laid! With a box of scraps!

Tony didn't completely solve the problems with Extremis back then, though he made a good start at figuring it out. Maya and Killian wanted him to complete the work for him, hence their using Extremis on Pepper to give him an incentive. In Killian's case, torturing Pepper for rejecting him was just a side bonus.

After then final battle Tony told Pepper that he could "fix" her because he had almost solved the problems years before. Once the dust settled he finished working out the algorithm and used the corrected formula on Pepper. This was similar to the comic book, where Tony created his own version of Extremis that gave him different abilities while saving his life. It seemed to me that the fix should have left Pepper with her Extremis enhancements but no longer prone to spontaneous combustion but I don 't think that's what Pearce & Black were going for.

Kevin Feige said that Extremis will be used again in the MCU, so we may well see other characters with enhanced powers from the formula. Even though Killian is (presumed) dead, AIM and its mad scientists must still be creeping around out there which makes them an ongoing threat. Perhaps some of Killian's Extremis soldiers survived or weren't in that last battle, so they live to fight another day. AIM might also be creating new Extremis-powered threats for its own purposes. It will be interesting to see whether that thread is picked up in other films or the SHIELD TV show.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
also I would add

-the new found 'emtpy brain slot'
-AIMs probable connection to Hydra (just speculating, but hope it happens in Cap2)
- the whole President/Vice President thing will probably pop up in Cap2 as well

I think Cap2 and IM3 are going to be very closely related, almost like one long movie or something haha. And I think Thor2 and GotG are going to connect as well but I can't really think of how yet. And I could see Avengers 2 being set over both planes, cosmic and Earth based with elements of each movies planted seeds to tie everything together nicely.
Yeah, I can't imagine not seeing the president in Cap 2. The brain slot will also come in quite handy later on. Once we see Thor 2, I think how it might tie in with GotG would be very clear.

Avengers 2 is going to be crazy busy. It'd almost have to be like Crash, where these apparently unrelated plotlines come smashing together at the end.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yeah, I can't imagine not seeing the president in Cap 2. The brain slot will also come in quite handy later on. Once we see Thor 2, I think how it might tie in with GotG would be very clear.

Avengers 2 is going to be crazy busy. It'd almost have to be like Crash, where these apparently unrelated plotlines come smashing together at the end.
yep good comparison of how this Phase could shape up. I think the individual stories are going to mean much, much, more to the Avengers 2 than the individual ones in Phase 1 did.

I'd say in Phase one you could have watched Avengers without ever seeing any of the other ones without missing a beat, but I don't think you'll be able to do that in Avengers 2

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Tony didn't completely solve the problems with Extremis back then, though he made a good start at figuring it out. Maya and Killian wanted him to complete the work for him, hence their using Extremis on Pepper to give him an incentive. In Killian's case, torturing Pepper for rejecting him was just a side bonus.

After then final battle Tony told Pepper that he could "fix" her because he had almost solved the problems years before. Once the dust settled he finished working out the algorithm and used the corrected formula on Pepper. This was similar to the comic book, where Tony created his own version of Extremis that gave him different abilities while saving his life. It seemed to me that the fix should have left Pepper with her Extremis enhancements but no longer prone to spontaneous combustion but I don 't think that's what Pearce & Black were going for.

Kevin Feige said that Extremis will be used again in the MCU, so we may well see other characters with enhanced powers from the formula. Even though Killian is (presumed) dead, AIM and its mad scientists must still be creeping around out there which makes them an ongoing threat. Perhaps some of Killian's Extremis soldiers survived or weren't in that last battle, so they live to fight another day. AIM might also be creating new Extremis-powered threats for its own purposes. It will be interesting to see whether that thread is picked up in other films or the SHIELD TV show.
i think it will lead to the Liberators. it makes sense that they'd try to use the science against SHIELD/the U.S.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...7-u_10_007.jpg

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
venom892
Got Lucky

The one thing I think IM3 contribute to the future of the MCU is the brain slot. I think this is how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are going to be explained.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
yep good comparison of how this Phase could shape up. I think the individual stories are going to mean much, much, more to the Avengers 2 than the individual ones in Phase 1 did.

I'd say in Phase one you could have watched Avengers without ever seeing any of the other ones without missing a beat, but I don't think you'll be able to do that in Avengers 2
I could see that too. I remember the sort of two-minute intros each character got in Avengers... and a few reference one liners were enough, and generally unobtrusive. That was cool for 4 films. I don't know if the same can be done with, like 8 movies.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #23
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
are you just bitter over the whole Mandarin thing? Because IM3 did a lot to establish a very solid base for the entirety of Phase 2.

Actually without going into detail, The Mandarin was one of the least annoying things about "Iron Man" 3.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Right, well I didn't like IM3 (hated it actually) but it does give us some clues. AIM could have a role in Phase 2 and I think they are going to be more risky. Perhaps they could kill Loki in Thor 2?

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #25
Karyyk

Wall Re: Iron Man 3 - What does it tell us about Phase 2? (Major spoiler warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
But what does Iron Man 3 tell us? What does that weak post-credits scene with Banner tell us?
It tells me that Banner got the better end of that deal. I had to sit and watch the whole movie...

Karyyk is offline   Reply With Quote