The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #226
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
I only wanted to point out that among all of the silly, unscientific stuff Superman did, going back in time is not one of them...
Bad science aside, the bigger objection might be that “turning back time” is a massive deus ex machina - a narrative cheat. Moreover, a major feat like that really should have had a bit of foreshadowing - some hint (at least) that time-travel was among Supes’ arsenal of powers. Otherwise, it comes across as a wtf? moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Moving near speed of light results in only going FORWARD in time relative to everyone else. You should watch Through the Wormhole to understand why it's not possible to go back in time. Nature doesn't allow it.
Actually… according to certain “wormhole time machine” models, you could travel backward in time - but no earlier than the date the machine was invented. So for example, the 1985 DeLorean could go to 2015 and then back to 1985. But 1955 is forbidden.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #227
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Bad science aside, the bigger objection might be that “turning back time” is a massive deus ex machina - a narrative cheat. Moreover, a major feat like that really should have had a bit of foreshadowing - some hint (at least) that time-travel was among Supes’ arsenal of powers. Otherwise, it comes across as a wtf? moment.
I never claimed it's possible.. I am only pointing out that if Superman indeed could travel faster than the speed of light (which is bad science), anything's possible then.. and yes, of course, a fictitious character that can travel faster than the speed of light is a cop-out.. because you'll be god-like and could possibly create universes...

Quote:
Actually… according to certain “wormhole time machine” models, you could travel backward in time - but no earlier than the date the machine was invented. So for example, the 1985 DeLorean could go to 2015 and then back to 1985. But 1955 is forbidden.
That's one of them... if you include multi-verse theories, you can jump thru to other universes without (and back in time in that universe)... and there are others...

Real physics is stranger than fiction...

robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #228
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
That doesn't refute anything I said. You have to exceed the speed of light or warp space/time. And I wrote:

Moving near speed of light results in only going FORWARD in time.

Keyword: could. And that could is dependent upon impossible parameters. Of course you could go back in time if you had a working wormhole time machine. But could you first create a working wormhole time machine?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #229
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
And what happens in a singularity? Space/Time, or Physics as we know it breaks down... so, it's entirely possible to be travelling back in forth in time (if you don't break apart) inside a singularity...
Again you fall back on: "i don't know what happens so time travel backwards is possible". That's illogical. No it's not entirely possible because singularities have their own constraints. They're not magical places where anything is possible.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #230
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Again you fall back on: "i don't know what happens so time travel backwards is possible". That's illogical. No it's not entirely possible because singularities have their own constraints. They're not magical places where anything is possible.
When physics breaks down, you don't know what happens... and it's within the realm of space time that it's possible worm holes / black holes leads to time travel... and i might have used the term 'anything is possible' wrongly here.. i meant to say, 'your theory is as good as mine, or any scientists for that matter'.. so, to speculate that IF superman can Create a Wormhole by travelling faster than the speed of light, then he can manipulate space/time is within the possibility of physics as we know it today... thus my original point that among all of the super-powers of superman, the 'turning back time' in Superman the movie, is the most sci-fi part of it (note the Science Fiction?)... The rest like 'magically flying', 'building entire walls with his eyes', etc, are pure fantasy..

Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #231
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
the 'turning back time' in Superman the movie, is the most sci-fi part of it (note the Science Fiction?)... The rest like 'magically flying', 'building entire walls with his eyes', etc, are pure fantasy..
The way Superman goes back in time in the movie might as well be magical because it doesn't conform to any science. Is he making a black hole? Nope he's flying around Earth. Is he going faster than light? Nope because we can see his trail, he doesn't have infinite energy, and the build up of mass would have destroyed Earth.

You have it backwards. There's more science fiction in his other abilities than being able to go back in time the way it was shown.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #232
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
The way Superman goes back in time in the movie might as well be magical because it doesn't conform to any science. Is he making a black hole? Nope he's flying around Earth. Is he going faster than light? Nope because we can see his trail, he doesn't have infinite energy, and the build up of mass would have destroyed Earth.

You have it backwards. There's more science fiction in his other abilities than being able to go back in time the way it was shown.
Like building the great wall of china with his eyes?

I think you miss the whole point of my original argument.. which is to dispute that Superman is Sci-Fi... I said that it was more fantasy than Sci-Fi... and if there's any element of sci-fi in it, then the closest would be his travelling back in time (because that actually have some possibility of being true IF you give him the ability to travel faster than the speed of light, like IF we have a WARP drive, you can travel faster than the speed of light... and no, we do not have warp drive.. so, with your logic, star trek is no more sci-fi than superman travelling back in time)

And I think you don't even know the difference betwen Science FICTION and Science.... there's a reason they call it 'fiction' you know.. because it allows for some creativity.. within the realm of possibility even if it's minute...

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #233
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

How did you all feel about how superman's power level was depicted? He was arguably dialed back somewhat to keep it more grounded but his strength seemed to remain at least consistent throughout the film as opposed to a lot of the past superman films.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #234
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I've tried to describe why I liked it. I won't say because it was "realistic" because... well it was Superman. Nothing he does is realistic.

But it was aesthetically and logically pleasing. His powers had physical impact in the world (obviously, just look at Metropolis). But that's what I was hoping for. Everything Superman does, from flying to landing, punching to heat vision should be extremely powerful and extremely destructive. And that's what this movie showed.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #235
nogap87
Side-Kick

I thought they did a good job regarding his power level. There was no "HOLY ****!" moment like when Hulk punched the Leviathan but there was enough impressive feats there to cement Supes as the most powerful cinematic superhero at the moment.

Thor needs to step it up a notch come November.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #236
ken smith
Side-Kick

I just came back from the movie. Superman did look strong as usual but after the movie, my brother and I argued. He said Avengers Hulk was stronger than Man of Steel Superman. Do you guys agree?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #237
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I think they're more-or-less on the same level. Just the Superman has some extra powers.

But, not much point in comparing since they're in different universes.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #238
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

It's funny before the release i was sure he'd actually be strong enough to take on all the avengers at once.

Now i'm not so sure? what do you guys think superman vs the avengers? Location: abandoned city.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #239
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
I just came back from the movie. Superman did look strong as usual but after the movie, my brother and I argued. He said Avengers Hulk was stronger than Man of Steel Superman. Do you guys agree?
As for right now Superman has displayed a higher level of power. You can't top shock wave producing punches. I hope Hulk and Thor get a massive power boost in Avengers 2. The big Krytonian in Smallville helping Faora felt like the Hulk during the Smallville fight sequence. I hope Joss Whedon sees Man of Steel and ups his game on the spectacle side. Synder has Whedon beat on the visuals but Whedon has Goyer beat on the writing.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Superman took the cap off a mountain, punched someone so hard they flew though multiple buildings , and produced shock waves that where powerful enough to destroyed buildings.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 06-16-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #240
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It's funny before the release i was sure he'd actually be strong enough to take on all the avengers at once.

Now i'm not so sure? what do you guys think superman vs the avengers? Location: abandoned city.
he'd make tony,steve,black widow and hawkeye his *****

thor and hulk would be close

maybe superman will break the hulks neck to even the numbers

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #241
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
he'd make tony,steve,black widow and hawkeye his *****

thor and hulk would be close

maybe superman will break the hulks neck to even the numbers
Funny you say that. Hulk chose not to break the Abomination's neck but Superman broke Zod's neck with enough force to produce a shock wave.

By the way braking the hulks neck wouldn't kill him. It's been done. Healing factor is a nasty thing.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 06-16-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #242
ken smith
Side-Kick

As for right now Superman has displayed a higher level of power. You can't top shock wave producing punches. I hope Hulk and Thor get a massive power boost in Avengers 2. The big Krytonian in Smallville helping Faora felt like the Hulk during the Smallville fight sequence. I hope Joss Whedon sees Man of Steel and ups his game on the spectacle side. Synder has Whedon beat on the visuals but Whedon has Goyer beat on the writing.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Superman took the cap off a mountain, punched someone so hard they flew though multiple buildings , and produced shock waves that where powerful enough to destroyed buildings.
[/QUOTE

Exactly. What do you think was Superman's most significant show of strength that Hulk or Thor can't match?

Last edited by ken smith; 06-16-2013 at 01:45 AM.
ken smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #243
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Exactly. What do you think was Superman's most significant show of strength that Hulk or Thor can't match?
Not I'm not talking about there Potential strength. I'm talking about what's been show as there feats in the cruent batch of Marvel movies. Thor has show that he potentially capable of doing what superman was doing in MOS in Thor 1 but just hasn't don't it yet. But Hulk had to be given a power upgraded in the Avenger because they all his display of power level as being to weak in The incredible Hulk. When i went to the The Incredible Hulk i was expecting what i saw in MOS this weekend.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 06-16-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #244
nocomics
Side-Kick

I thought his power level was decent for what they were trying to do, though I was disappointed in no super breath. They didn't need to show him lifting mountains or some super feat, so what they had him do was fine.

nocomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #245
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:

Creating a massive shockwave with a punch. That's some crazy comic book level stuff right there.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #246
Nicko-Ray
"Let's see."

Have to keep in kind that Supes was fighting people not that much different than him.

And I do think in this film he was getting used to his powers. Especially in combat. Without a doubt in future movies they'll have him more intact with his abilities. Can't wait.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #247
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Watched the movie and any doubts about Supes being depowered were quickly dispelled; so much so that I can see Thor fans being anxious to see what feats Thor does in TDW, hoping that he does something on the level of The Man of Steel.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #248
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:

IF you exceeded the speed of light time reverses. That's science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Watched the movie and any doubts about Supes being depowered were quickly dispelled; so much so that I can see Thor fans being anxious to see what feats Thor does in TDW, hoping that he does something on the level of The Man of Steel.
That's how me and all my friends feell. I bet/hope Kevin Fiege is going to go back in and edit shock waves into Thor's attacks.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 06-16-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #249
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
IF you exceeded the speed of light time reverses. That's science.

It's actually science that you can't exceed the speed of light.

Regardless changing the earth's rotation would have no effect on time. Just massive destruction on a level of a roland emmerich film.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #250
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post

It's actually science that you can't exceed the speed of light.

Regardless changing the earth's rotation would have no effect on time. Just massive destruction on a level of a roland emmerich film.
We are talking about a comicbook film. Superman gets the comicbook exemption. Superman can move faster than the speed of light. There for when he reaches the speed of light time reverses. it makes sense with in the context of the film.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 06-16-2013 at 06:47 AM.