The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 69.74%
Hulk 82 30.26%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #701
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Yeah, as far as I can see they're just the same movies in fancy boxes. Whoopity-doo.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #702
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Good thing I don't own either yet...well I own TIH on DVD but pshh! I want the Blu-Ray.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #703
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

I think Ang Lee's Hulk is THE most underrated superhero film ever made. I consider it somewhat of a flawed masterpiece. It's did the whole serious/dramatic take of the hero thing before Nolan got all the credit for it. Not knocking Nolan, but Lee did it first.

The Incredible Hulk is the only MCU film I really felt let down by. It feels too much like the TV show and the action is entirely underwhelming. Even the final fight, which just had Hulk and Abomination giving each other headlocks in a courtyard for most of it is a letdown.

Ang Lee's Hulk has real scope and grandeur. That desert chase/battle is amazingly realized and executed. Hulk looks better (even if he is brighter green, which never bothered me) than the 08 film where he looks really rubbery and plastic most of the time. I honestly don't get how people see Angs Hulk as being more fake looking. The texture of his skin, his facial expressions, his movements are all more believable looking and rendered FAR better than in TIH. I guess the bright green throws people off...
I bought into the drama of Ang's film. I felt for Bruce and Betty. Nick Nolte kills it in his roll. Sam Elliot is an awesome General Ross (Hurt is just boring imo) and even though it's a heavy, depressing film at times it still feels like a comic book film. Unlike TIH, which feels like a bigger budget episode of the TV show.
If you can get over the poor design of the Hulk-dogs, you'll find a pretty badass action scene.

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 04-21-2013 at 01:45 AM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #704
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

The more I watch these two films...
Not sure I caught all references to the TV series, there is the one in TIH of campus reporter Jack McGee, like the Jack McGee calling Hulk a murderer in the old show
And the main theme for Ang's Hulk uses queues from one of the old show music tracks

Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #705
dnno1
Side-Kick

'Incredible (She) Hulk' Attack On Teen Girl In UK Has Cops On Lookout
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3239112.html

Incredible (She) Hulk 'attacked girl' outside York restaurant
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22440123

Quote:
A woman dressed as the Incredible Hulk comic character is believed to have attacked a teenage girl outside a McDonald's during a night out in York.
The suspect was covered in green body paint and had dyed red hair.
North Yorkshire Police said the woman was with a group of people who left the Blake Street McDonald's about the time of the attack at 03:00 BST on 26 April.
Officers said the suspect was a white woman, aged in her late teens or early 20s and about 5ft 8in tall.
The victim was a 17-year-old.

Last edited by dnno1; 05-08-2013 at 08:36 PM.
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #706
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
The more I watch these two films...
Not sure I caught all references to the TV series, there is the one in TIH of campus reporter Jack McGee, like the Jack McGee calling Hulk a murderer in the old show
And the main theme for Ang's Hulk uses queues from one of the old show music tracks
They changed Brian Banner's name to David as a nod to the TV show in Ang's movie. There was also a clip of Bill Bixby on TV in a clip from "The Courtship of Eddie's father", as well as the "Lonely Man" piano theme in The Incredible Hulk. Both movies used Lou Ferrigno in some fashion.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #707
Blake II
Banned User

Any news if Liv Tyler or William Hurt will make some cameo appearances in future Marvel movies?

I'm sure many of us would love to see Gen. Thunderbolt make an appearance that has to do with the Army stepping in to fight some evil. And Betty Ross is very important because she's Banners only love interest and the only one that can calm Banner down even though Banner has a lot more control over the Hulk. But Liv Tyler was hot as hell and I would love to see her back lol.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #708
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Louis Leterrier, 'Now You See Me' Director, On The Problems With 'The Incredible Hulk' And 'Clash Of The Titans'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryan
It's been well-documented that "The Incredible Hulk" was a stressful shoot and "Clash of the Titans" looked stressful. Was something less stressful something that you sought out?
Yeah, you know, the problem on both "The Incredible Hulk" and "Clash of the Titans" is a problem I've encountered since I came to Hollywood. When I arrived in Hollywood, ["Incredible Hulk"] was my first Hollywood movie and I really wanted to work with Marvel and I really wanted to do that movie with American actors. And then they were like, "Oh, welcome, welcome. Great news, Louis. We just got a release date. It's a year from now." I'm like, "Fantastic, we have to go. Where's the script?" They said, "Actually, that's the problem, we don't have a script."

I've started movies without screenplays both on "Clash" and on "Hulk" and that is tremendously stressful, because you have a tendency to overcompensate with effects. You haven't tested it in your head. You didn't run it over and over again and covered all of the plot holes and figure it out. It's a marathon that you sprint. "Now You See Me" was longer and it was a great script to start with.

Even in your other movies, I've always noticed what you were trying to do ...
And fail miserably [laughs].

Well, I wouldn't say "fail miserably," but they were cluttered.
Yeah, it's true. A movie is a sum of compromises until you grow into your own independence. I always try to bring the character and the actor forward. It's very obvious in "The Incredible Hulk." The first half of the movie is really mine and the second half is the studio's expected Hulk movie -- two giants kicking each other's ass.

I never understood for sure what happened there. Did you and Edward Norton get along?
Oh, yeah, yeah yeah. We love each other. He was just with me in New York at the premiere. We really do love each other. I think it was blown out of proportion. It literally was about one scene. It's one scene that still in the movie. It was either the long version of the scene or the short version of the scene. Edward wanted the longer version of the scene and I wanted the shorter version.

Which scene was this?
It was the psychoanalysis scene. It was a very interesting character scene -- to go back to what we were talking about. It was analysis, going into the dark places of Bruce Banner -- very adult themes. It was a great scene and the scene is on the DVD. But also the start of the movie, something I did, which is Bruce Banner walking to the edge of the world to commit suicide, then the Hulk saves him. And the studio said, "There's no way we are starting this movie with a guy putting a gun into his mouth." Which I understand, but then it was informing who this character was and his relationship with his alter-ego. All of that stuff made it deeper, if you will.

"Iron Man" was this fun, poppy thing bound to make a zillion dollars. And we were the other side of a superhero movie. More complex with The Hulk being this complex character -- that's what it was. Edward is a great friend. Marvel is a great friend. There are arguments in every movie.

When people are asking me, because Mark Ruffalo is in this one, who's the better of the Bruce Banners -- both are great; both are fantastic -- but I actually wanted to cast Mark Ruffalo as Hulk and Marvel was like "No, you should get Edward Norton because he's more famous." So you see what I am saying? They are the ones who wanted Edward -- and I was thrilled to meet him and work with him. I wanted Mark Ruffalo. And they were like, "No, no, he just does smart, intellectual movies." Which makes sense, then and there in his career. But that's how I know him. We've stayed in touch and it's why he said "absolutely" when I offered him the part in this one.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #709
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Ah, I enjoy both. And both have problems, but Ang lee's is the closest to what I'd consider a good film. The problem there was that Lee couldn't for his life conciliate his own vision and all the mandatory things you have to put in a superhero movie. Now, if I want to see a real good Hulk movie that has a realistic straight-faced tone and where the tragedy is right there, palpable, I go to the 1977 TV series pilot.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #710
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I think Ang Lee's Hulk is THE most underrated superhero film ever made. I consider it somewhat of a flawed masterpiece. It's did the whole serious/dramatic take of the hero thing before Nolan got all the credit for it. Not knocking Nolan, but Lee did it first.

The Incredible Hulk is the only MCU film I really felt let down by. It feels too much like the TV show and the action is entirely underwhelming. Even the final fight, which just had Hulk and Abomination giving each other headlocks in a courtyard for most of it is a letdown.

Ang Lee's Hulk has real scope and grandeur. That desert chase/battle is amazingly realized and executed. Hulk looks better (even if he is brighter green, which never bothered me) than the 08 film where he looks really rubbery and plastic most of the time. I honestly don't get how people see Angs Hulk as being more fake looking. The texture of his skin, his facial expressions, his movements are all more believable looking and rendered FAR better than in TIH. I guess the bright green throws people off...
I bought into the drama of Ang's film. I felt for Bruce and Betty. Nick Nolte kills it in his roll. Sam Elliot is an awesome General Ross (Hurt is just boring imo) and even though it's a heavy, depressing film at times it still feels like a comic book film. Unlike TIH, which feels like a bigger budget episode of the TV show.
If you can get over the poor design of the Hulk-dogs, you'll find a pretty badass action scene.

Pretty much agreed on all accounts! Ang Lee made a very Conceptual film in my opinion from the way bruce describes turning into the Hulk to the dreams/visions in his mind, just some amazing parts in there with some serious depth. And much better acting all around. IH on the other hand was kind of fun but no real substance. I liked the creation of the Leader, hope we'll see him again someday.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #711
webhead731
I'm a photographer

It has always baffled me when Hulk 2003 gets put on "worst comic book movie" lists.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #712
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

I have to admit. I'm in the camp that thinks 2003's Hulk was garbage.

zeroapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #713
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post
It has always baffled me when Hulk 2003 gets put on "worst comic book movie" lists.
Agreed. I thought it was a good movie.

I'm starting to notice that to some folks, a movie is either the greatest thing ever or absolute trash; there's no inbetween for a lot of people. I think the same thing when people voice their displeasure with Iron Man 2. Was a good film, admittedly not as good as the first, not as good as many within the genre, but entertaining enough. I've seen it put on numerous people's list of terrible genre films, yet when I look at what other movies fall in line with them, I can't help but scratch my head. Ah well, different strokes for different folks.

Visualiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #714
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

What I don't get is the people *****ing that Ang Lee's Hulk is too heavy and cerebral for the Hulk.

Ugh, what? Peter Davids run on the Hulk was full of cerebral imagery and themes.

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 06-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #715
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Some people just want to watch the world smash.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #716
alexnyc
Side-Kick

I hope that whoever is gonna make another hulk movie whether if it's ang lee or not that they look carefully at the past hulk films and bring out in the new film all the hulk characteristic's that we all dying to see in the next one!

That is all...

alexnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #717
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I really with Marvel would release TIH with the Norton scenes put back in.

As for TIH vs HULK

Hulk character CG - Ang Lee
Bruce - TIH (by a mile)
Betty - Ang Lee
Ross - Ang Lee
Villian - TIH
Action - Ang Lee
Plot - Ang Lee (by a mile)

I guess I prefer Ang Lee's Hulk but in an ideal world it would star Ed Norton.
For the record I prefer Ed Norton to Rufferlo(sp).

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #718
webhead731
I'm a photographer

People always hated on the 2003 film for being too dramatic and serious, barely lighthearted and fun, but I'd take that ANY day than having it be turned into a complete joke like what was done with Ghost Rider.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #719
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Even though I enjoyed TIH more, I wish it was an origin story.

I don't really mind if its another origin story as long as the movie is done well.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #720
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

I think both movies have their problems. Ang lee couldn't mix his vision and the studios demands well. Superhero movies and specially Marvel's are very structured and as a director you are going to be restricted. The plot with Banner's father was interesting but never took off. By the end of the movie - which had time enough to develop its themes - I still didn't know what David Banner wanted exactly. You know more or less, but it seems that not every dot was connected.

TIH was the opposite, speed up, action packed. But it feels like a sequel - that intro synopsis of the origin didn't do the trick - way too rushed and with a collection of horrible Hulk jokes, some of them involving Dr. Banner's sex life. No time to stay enough with every character.

Even so I prefer Ang Lee's as a movie. At e;last could take the Hulk concept seriously and it had some great action sequences.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #721
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroapoc View Post
I wouldn't go that far but I completely don't get people comparing favorably to Norton's Hulk. It wasn't an awful movie ( just not a good one IMO) but it was an awful hulk or superhero movie

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #722
MCU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I really with Marvel would release TIH with the Norton scenes put back in.

As for TIH vs HULK

Hulk character CG - Ang Lee
Bruce - TIH (by a mile)
Betty - Ang Lee
Ross - Ang Lee
Villian - TIH
Action - Ang Lee
Plot - Ang Lee (by a mile)

I guess I prefer Ang Lee's Hulk but in an ideal world it would star Ed Norton.
For the record I prefer Ed Norton to Rufferlo(sp).
Theres no possible way Ang Lees Hulk looks better than TIH Hulk. No way. Thats nuts. Ang Lees Hulk actually looks like a rubber action figure. A rubber action figure taken straight out of toys r us and put on film. That was imo, one of the main reasons i hated the film. Whenever hulk came on screene i couldnt take it seriously. Looks like bright green rubber doll haha lol.

MCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #723
MCU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroapoc View Post
I agree, I think its actual awful. Not worse than say Ghost Rider or Elektra which are abominations(no pun intended). But still very bad.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #724
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU View Post
Theres no possible way Ang Lees Hulk looks better than TIH Hulk. No way. Thats nuts. Ang Lees Hulk actually looks like a rubber action figure. A rubber action figure taken straight out of toys r us and put on film. That was imo, one of the main reasons i hated the film. Whenever hulk came on screene i couldnt take it seriously. Looks like bright green rubber doll haha lol.
TIH Hulk looked like a rubber figure too. Just a cooler rubber figure.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #725
MCU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
TIH Hulk looked like a rubber figure too. Just a cooler rubber figure.
I guess I just disagree. Sure its face doesnt look to real but nothing on Lees looks real. TIH Hulk does look way cooler I can agree with.